PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Help Needed. *pics added*

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2006, 11:53 AM
While talking to my boss/trainer last Sunday, we have planned a whole new schedule. I have been having difficulty with Zoey doing agility because when we are working she will all the sudden stop and look around for my mom. With that in mind my boss told me I need to be feeding her (she was free-fed) and I need to let her out, because she is my dog and not the family pet. So I have been waking up at 4:00 letting her out and waiting a hour and feed her 1 cup. Then a hour later I let her out to play and stuff. At night I feed her a cup too.

Well basically I have took a break from agility because I have been having drivers ed. So she has gotten a little heavier. We currently feed her Kirkland’s lamb and rice. Because that’s what we feed T.j. I will switch her food as soon as soon as I get my license. She is approximately 22 (height) and around 50 pounds, also a flat-coat so their hyper.. So how many cups to you think I should feed her? I am home schooled so I can feed her 3 times a day, but should I feed her once, twice, or three times a day?
Pictures will be added to next post.

BC_MoM
10-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I would feed her twice a day. How much are you feeding her right now?

Also, what does your trainer see wrong with Zoey being a family pet AND an agility dog?

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I would feed her twice a day. How much are you feeding her right now?

Also, what does your trainer see wrong with Zoey being a family pet AND an agility dog?
I explained early in post how much I feed her, and I also explained why it was bad about Zoey being a family pet and agility pet. But I will explain again.

My mom used to feed Zoey in the mourning and let her out in the mourning. Basically we will either be showing or just practising and she will stop and just look around for my mom. My trainer thinks that my stoping the free-feeding (she has independnce that way) and by me being the only one that lets Zoey out, that it will help her. I belive my trainer she has over 20 years in experience with stubborn dogs.

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2006, 12:09 PM
OK So here is a couple pictures of her stomach area.
http://agility.zoto.com/img/45/d399c80ad42b093b7fd2f4b1de6e7b38-.jpg
http://agility.zoto.com/img/45/3bdb5cd1292fdc3d79f92d6829d10918-.jpg

k9krazee
10-03-2006, 02:37 PM
It's really hard to tell from those pictures but she doesn't look too bad to me. In my dogs I like to be able to feel their ribs and see a prominant 'tuck up' from the side. The amount she is fed should depend on the amount of exercise she gets. One cup in the morning and another at night sounds about right, though.

And about her checking out while doing agility...I think that has to do with the kind of relationship you and Zoey have. How much time do you spend alone with Zoey? I would definitely take on feeding her (maybe hand feed her or have her work for her food), but in addition to that just spend time with her. Also how often do you usually do agility? I know that if I spend too much time practicing with Jack he gets bored and loses interest really quickly. I spend much more time doing fun little agility/obedience games for a few minutes multiple times a day and it helps to keep him interested.

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
It's really hard to tell from those pictures but she doesn't look too bad to me. In my dogs I like to be able to feel their ribs and see a prominant 'tuck up' from the side. The amount she is fed should depend on the amount of exercise she gets. One cup in the morning and another at night sounds about right, though.

And about her checking out while doing agility...I think that has to do with the kind of relationship you and Zoey have. How much time do you spend alone with Zoey? I would definitely take on feeding her (maybe hand feed her or have her work for her food), but in addition to that just spend time with her. Also how often do you usually do agility? I know that if I spend too much time practicing with Jack he gets bored and loses interest really quickly. I spend much more time doing fun little agility/obedience games for a few minutes multiple times a day and it helps to keep him interested.
Funny my trainer also told me to have her work for her food. (stays and agility) Do you think I should take Zoey for walks? Will that strengthen are bond? I usally just let Zoey out and sometimes toss a ball for her. But in general right now I work on agility very minimal. But that's because everynight I had drivers ed and had way to much homework.

dab_20
10-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I'd say you should feed her twice a day.

Every dog owner should take their dog for a walk everyday. Walks are both a physical and phycological challenge for a dog, and will wear them out quicker then a game of fetch. When your playing fetch with them, they are in an excited state of mind so it takes longer for them to wear out. Walks will definatly help.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd say you should feed her twice a day.

Every dog owner should take their dog for a walk everyday. Walks are both a physical and phycological challenge for a dog, and will wear them out quicker then a game of fetch. When your playing fetch with them, they are in an excited state of mind so it takes longer for them to wear out. Walks will definatly help.

Walks do strengthen the bond between dog and owner often, I agree. However, my dogs don't get any exercise at all from just a walk. In fact, they're extremely bored on walks...fetch and obedience practice tires them out much quicker than a walk does. It's been this way for every single dog my family has had. Tango gets a walk a few times daily, but on those walks she also has off leash time to run, play, practice obedience skills, etc. If I were to just walk her for a while and take her back home, she would still be full of energy. Anyway, that's just my opinion of course and like I said, I do agree with the bonding thing.

Bre, my Flat-Coat breeder friend feeds her dogs about a cup and a bit twice daily (not sure of the brand of kibble though) to the really active dogs, and about a cup or a bit less to the lazier, older dogs. I'd probably feed a little less than a cup to Zoey if you really think she's getting overweight. How old is she though? Perhaps she's not overweight at all and just starting to fill out? She doesn't look overweight from the pictures, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing her. If you think she's getting a bit overweight, cut her food back. You're the only one who can really decide how much food is best for your dog, as each dog is different. Good luck!

Flatcoatluver
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Walks do strengthen the bond between dog and owner often, I agree. However, my dogs don't get any exercise at all from just a walk. In fact, they're extremely bored on walks...fetch and obedience practice tires them out much quicker than a walk does. It's been this way for every single dog my family has had. Tango gets a walk a few times daily, but on those walks she also has off leash time to run, play, practice obedience skills, etc. If I were to just walk her for a while and take her back home, she would still be full of energy. Anyway, that's just my opinion of course and like I said, I do agree with the bonding thing.

Bre, my Flat-Coat breeder friend feeds her dogs about a cup and a bit twice daily (not sure of the brand of kibble though) to the really active dogs, and about a cup or a bit less to the lazier, older dogs. I'd probably feed a little less than a cup to Zoey if you really think she's getting overweight. How old is she though? Perhaps she's not overweight at all and just starting to fill out? She doesn't look overweight from the pictures, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing her. If you think she's getting a bit overweight, cut her food back. You're the only one who can really decide how much food is best for your dog, as each dog is different. Good luck!
Thanks so much Devon! You have helped me a lot. Zoey also get bored on walks but loves her agility and throwing her toy time. Zoey is three now and it could be just my imagination that she is overweight because she hasn't been do agility.