PDA

View Full Version : Enough is enough?

Sevaede
10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
How do you tell when enough is enough? I have an approximately 700 sq ft apartment that I share with my husband. We are allowed to stay here by three cats, one dog, one fish, three gerbils, and seven mice (only one is staying).

I have a call on my answering machine from a woman who wants me to foster her cat. I am afraid to call her back because I don't want to tell her no and I want to help this kitty. All of my furbabies are very easy going and it's not a big issue for them.

It would be an issue for my husband, though. Even though I got fired (I earn a little money cleaning, once a week, at his work place, still.), we still pull in enough to feed them all, keep them in their Feline Pine, etc. They all get tons of lovin' (too much, they say) from meowmie and dad. He loves them all but says the ratio is about even and needs to stay that way until we move in to a bigger place. But, is that even a given that since I'm feeding and watering the outside cats that I'll eventually bring them in one by one (I want to keep elderly Shemp Moose for the remainder of his life)? He doesn't know this woman has called so I haven't talked about this cat yet.

My mom (another huge animal lover) gave me that one piece of advice that I didn't want to hear (heh, :D ): You cannot, realistically, save them all.

So, PT, what should I do?

Edit: Also, I have been talking with a woman for the past few days about fostering one of her doxie/lab (8 week old) pups. Troy would prefer us to foster a cat (as I approached the idea of a lab mix foster before) because of the whole size and area.

Logan
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
As long as you both agree on it, and you can really foster and not try to keep another one (I have a hard time with this one....lol), then it sounds like it would be a good thing to do. How long would you be fostering? Is this kitty looking for a new home or does the lady just need you, temporarally? You know, an idea for making some extra money might be for you to become a petsitter or dog walker, especially if you're living in an apartment complex. Just a thought! ;) I think that would be the BEST job! You could see tons of animals, but know that you don't have to have them in your apartment (sounds like you've got plenty), and make money while you're doing it!!! :)

Logan

Catty1
10-03-2006, 11:29 AM
How about the old "I'm full right now; if you absolutely can't find another foster, then please call me back."

You don't want to overtax yourself or your resources.

Can you call the place you are fostering with, and put a hold, or "emergencies only" on your file for now?

I lived in a 600-sq-ft apt once...and I don't think it would have been fair to a dog to have it in there. Plus - barking REALLY carries in a building, and neighbours get unimpressed.

Hope something works out for you!

Craftlady
10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Your apartment is way to small for long extended fostering.
Being in an apartment building sound travels big time. I'd put myself on a "emergerancy only list" for very temporary housing like 1-2 days tops.

Your landlord has been kind to allow the animals you have and didnt she say "one at a time" "no smelling like a kennel" when you told her about fostering. You take in more than 1 at time, her tune is going to change and then your out of a place to live.

Freedom
10-03-2006, 03:16 PM
I agree with Craftlady. An 8 week old puppy? Don't they bark and yip just for the pure joy of it? Mine did!! How can you curb exurberance of living!? Is it possible that, since you are not working just now, you are finding time on your hands and filling it with these wonderful pets? As for the cat, how long is that fostering to be? A short time while she is remodeling her kitchen, or ages and ages, until she gets her life back together? Is it a true foster, where she will pay you for food, litter, and any vet needs?

I can just see it now: bed with 4 cats and 2 dogs, sleeping bags on the floor for you and hubby! :)

catmandu
10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
It is hard to say no, but I am having to now.
I am getting older and I dont think that I am going to take in any more Found Cats.
I am having more feet problem , and its getting to be a lot of work with these 12 Cats.
I hope you can be tactful if you do say no.