PDA

View Full Version : update on the house we want

cali
10-02-2006, 07:59 PM
ok my mom went to see it today(I was working) now it is a very cute house, and VERY well layed out, for example firt thing when you walk in there is a mudroom, which would be wonderful with the dogs. HOWEVER is is one very big problem, the Electricity is like from 1913 lol the current is so weak that you cannot use more then ONE thing at a time, this is obviously a major problem, it is estimated to cost aprox. $2000 to update.. now all the widnows in the house only one 1 pane, and when you get -40-50* C temps, the house would be majorly cold, and you couldent have space heaters around the house because that uses electricity...

BC_MoM
10-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Hmm... :( I really want you to get the house! Maybe do a few things at a time? Get the windows in first, and then gradually start to renew the wiring and electricity?

Catty1
10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
No WONDER they dropped the price!

Do you or your mom have any friends that are electricians?

In Calgary there is a Habitat for Humanity restore that carries everything from appliances to windows. You'd need the windows at least sealed really well for the first winter!

So what are you and your mom going to do?

MajesticCollies
10-02-2006, 08:41 PM
BC_MoMHmm... http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif I really want you to get the house! Maybe do a few things at a time? Get the windows in first, and then gradually start to renew the wiring and electricity?

Take it from an ex Electrician. Wiring from 1913? If you buy it upgrade the electric immediately. It sounds very dangerous. The windows can be covered with 1/4 in insulation and then plastic. who cares what it looks like in the winter. Its cold out there, keep the heat in. Hope you both make the right decision.

lv4dogs
10-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Take it from an ex Electrician. Wiring from 1913? If you buy it upgrade the electric immediately. It sounds very dangerous. The windows can be covered with 1/4 in insulation and then plastic. who cares what it looks like in the winter. Its cold out there, keep the heat in. Hope you both make the right decision.

I agree, If you take it make sure to get the electric done asap. Good luck with what ever your decision may be.

elizabethann
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I've always dreamt of having a mud room.

JenBKR
10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Are you buying the house? If so, you can ask that the sellers either take care of that before you buy it or give you the $2000 out of their profits at closing. That's what we did, they gave us the money and we had some rewiring done. If you are renting it then the landlord would have to fix it before you move in.

Iilo
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I've always dreamt of having a mud room.

Something only a PTer would say.

cali
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
well we are still very fixated on this house, everything juts keeps bringing us back to this one, there are NO others houses in our price range that are not either falling to peices or in gang ridden areas. we figer if there is a will there is way, if we buy this house then we will have the electrical fixed first thing. for the dogs we can fence the front yard with 4' chain link fencing, that way we can keep the beautiful back yard pretty, and the dog will still have some room to run even when we dont have the time to take them to the dog park. pkus there is like NOTHING out there so its not like they have a lot to bark at lol. we would also put the dog run in the offer, basicly we keep the dog run or no deal lol the dog run is on gravel in the back, that way the dogs can be in the back with us sometimes without destroying the lawn. for the winter and the windows, if we cant fix them right away we can do what Tim said with the insolation and plastic.

we loves this house and most of the problems are a pretty simple fix, so my mom is going to the bank tomorow afternoon to find out about a line of credit and such so we can make an offer on the house :p

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
That's too bad about the electricity, but besides that it sounds perfect for you :). Good luck!

BC_MoM
10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Yay!! I'm so happy you'll be placing an offer! Let us know how it goes. :)

lv4dogs
10-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Good luck at the bank!

Maresche
10-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Fixing the electrical ASAP is a must. You'll have a hard, if not impossible, time getting homeowners' insurance with wiring that old.

When we bought our house, we had wiring from the 50's and every insurer we spoke to said it had to be corrected within 30 days.