PDA

View Full Version : Brodie is acting CRAZY! UPDATE (back from the vet!)

christa
09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Brodie has been acting really strange for about a week now.

He starts twitching all over. His skin - his tail - his ears. It's almost like something is crawling all over him. He digs at his ears. He bites at his skin & tail. He kicks & can't sit still.

At first I thought he was just playing. But tonight, he was trying to lay down and couldn't lay still for the twitching.

It's like his nerves are twitching!

Anyone have any ideas?

Remember - he has just gone on prednisone . . . started about 2 months ago. So that is fairly new. I am considering calling the vet on Monday because I am afraid that this is a reaction to the preds.

I'm just wondering if it could be something else that I'm not thinking of.

shais_mom
09-30-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't know what could be happening with him. My cats do that when I pet them down their backs -
hope you can figger it out and he feels better soon.
*hugs and prayers*

krazyaboutkatz
10-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Poor Brodie. I hope it's nothing serious.:( If the only thing that is different is the prednisone then maybe he is having a reaction to it. I think you should call the vet asap about this. Please keep us updated about him.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Poor Brodie; sounds like an allergy reaction to me..... :confused:
I would call my vet too :(

christa
10-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Upon further investigation - reading & research - last night on the internet, I REALIZED (duh) that his twitching was from his skin allergy. He is having a flareup - which the vet & I discussed him having. His itchy skin is making him dig & twitch & be uncomfortable.

So I gave him a pred ... the dosage is Every 2 days or as needed for flareups, so I guess this is a flareup. I guess until this is over, I will give him one every day as he acts like this. But I'm still gonna call the vet monday morning to confirm that I'm doing this right. :) Poor guy. He's just itchy!

Freedom
10-01-2006, 08:57 AM
I hope he recovers from this episode quickly!

RedHedd
10-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Ohh Poor baby! That doesn't sound fun - being all twitchy and itchy. I hope it passes soon.

kimlovescats
10-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Poor guy, I hope the increased dosage helps! ;)

catmandu
10-01-2006, 04:38 PM
The Found Ctas are praying for Brodie, and Mr Scrappy Angel is flying into tonight to see if he cant help out.
He loves his little look alike.

KitCat
10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I had an alergic reaction to antibiotics and got hives head to toe. I certainly sympathize with the poor kitty!

momcat
10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Poor Brodie! Even though this could be an allergic reaction of some sort, you need to talk to your vet for Brodie's wellbeing and your own peace of mind. Please keep us updated? Prayers being prayed for your sweet Brodie!!!

jenluckenbach
10-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Poor Brodie, :(

christa
10-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Poor Brodie! Even though this could be an allergic reaction of some sort, you need to talk to your vet for Brodie's wellbeing and your own peace of mind. Please keep us updated? Prayers being prayed for your sweet Brodie!!!

It's not an allergic reaction - he does have skin allergies, which we have known for some time. I just failed to see that his twitching could be from itching, LOL. The prednisone is prescribed for his skin allergy, as well as to keep him from vomiting (possibly from his IBD - but as my vet explained, the two go hand in hand)

I appreciate all your prayers - he is pitiful when he gets itchy! But the prednisone more frequently has seemed to help.

christa
10-04-2006, 08:18 AM
I made an appt. for Brodie - 9 o'clock tomorrow morning for a recheck.

I gave him a pred last night - he was twitchy already this morning, which doesn't seem like it should have already run out of his system.

Anyway, we'll see what she says. We might have to start all over again - the high dosage - I might have spaced them out too far, letting him go 3 days without. She warned me that that might be a bad idea for him, but I didn't know . . .

aki
10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh man! Poor little thing. I hope he gets relief soon!

christa
10-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry I'm just updating - It's been a busy few days.

I took Brodie to the vet on Thursday morning. He was not happy! He fought so hard! He even nipped at the vet & smacked at her when she tried to listen to his heart & lungs! LOL - they always know they're going to have their hands full when he comes in - and they always have to have a WOMAN weigh him - the guy vet techs always get eaten up!

anyway, She examined him & could feel the whelps on his skin & could feel his skin crawl as she examined him. Said that it's definitely his allergies flaring up.

His pred dosage was too low & so we have started him on 2 preds, every other day for 2 weeks . . . 1.5 preds a day for one week . . . and then one every other day after that. She said he'd probably be on that dosage for at least 3 months before we could go any lower/fewer days between, as we had been.

I am also having to put Omega 3 oil into his food. Fatty acids are "supposed" to reduce the itching & inflammation in animals with allergies. Hopefully it will work.

Anyway, just wanted to update you all . . . thanks for all of your positive thoughts & prayers! Brodie appreciates it & so do I!!! ;)

Jessika
10-07-2006, 01:02 PM
yup fatty acids are very good for healthy skin and coat!

Poor Brody... I hope he gets over that very soon. I can't imagine being that uncomfortable. :(

orangemm
10-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Hope he gets feeling better soon! Poor guy, it must drive him crazy.

Let us know!

Catty1
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Brodie, be a good kitty and take your pills. You will feel much better soon!

Hugs and scritchies to you!