PDA

View Full Version : Niņo was bitten

Suki Wingy
09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I thought I'd tell you all and ask for some advice. I was at work all day but when my step-dad picked me up, the first thing he told me was that when he was jogging in the street with Niņo, an elderly Golden Retriever came up and lunged at Niņo snarling. The owner appologised greatly and said the dog had never done anything like it before. They all thought he didn't break the skin, but I found a spot of blood on him a few minutes ago. When I looked closer, I found a puncture wound. What should I do for him? I'm home alone babysitting my sisters right now.

animal_rescue
09-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Where is the wound?

Suki Wingy
09-30-2006, 09:30 PM
pics attatched

animal_rescue
09-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Try cleaning it with a warm, wet rag and then put some antibiotic ointment on it.

Suki Wingy
09-30-2006, 09:39 PM
ok, that's what I'll do. Do you mean like neosporin or something like that?

animal_rescue
09-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Yep. :)

luvofallhorses
09-30-2006, 09:46 PM
poor Nino! :( on the last picture it looks like it's kinda deep. :( I would keep an eye on it and take him to the vet when you can just to be safe so it doesn't get infencted.

K9karen
09-30-2006, 10:51 PM
You can also put hydrogen peroxide on it to clean the wound out. Then the antibiotic. I agree, it looks deep. Nino looks a bit uncomfortable by his expression. He may also need an antibiotic pill. That's a shame. Were either of the dogs off leash?

BC_MoM
09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Ouch! Poor Niņo! That looks like it hurts. :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Poor Niņo :(. Winston was attacked last year and had multiple bite wounds like that all over him. We took him to the vet and he said just to put some neosporin on it about 3 times daily. You're also supposed to clean it with a warm cloth before every application of ointment. He didn't think antiobiotics were necessary at all.

I hope Niņo get's better soon, and will be healed in no time!

Suki Wingy
09-30-2006, 11:44 PM
He'll probably go to the vet tomorrow. While cleaning it I hound about 3 other small shallow ones.
K9Karen, He was leashed, the Golden apparantly ran out of his yard or house unleashed. I wasn't actually there when it happened.

Giselle
10-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Niņo!!! My poor puppy!! :( That does look like a rather deep puncture wound. Looks like the teeth sank right in instead of skimming the top...Ouch! Anyways, I agree with the rest, and you might want to clip the fur around it and apply some sort of bandage. My pups have never gotten bitten so I'm not too sure what you should do :/

Daisy and Delilah
10-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Awwww!!! Poor Nino! Get better sweetie! :(

Ginger's Mom
10-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Poor Nino. Aw, Eva, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that sweet boy is feeling better today. {{{Hugs}}} to that big boy.

Cincy'sMom
10-01-2006, 08:27 AM
You can also put hydrogen peroxide on it to clean the wound out. Then the antibiotic. I agree, it looks deep. Nino looks a bit uncomfortable by his expression. He may also need an antibiotic pill. That's a shame. Were either of the dogs off leash?

The hydrogen peroxide is probablly good to clean it at first, but don't use it regularly. Ralph normally cleaned things this way, and when Sadie just had her surgery a few weeks ago, Ralph mentioned tot he vey he was using hydrogen peroxide to clean it. They told him that will actaully destoy some of the "bacteria" helping the wound heal.

Spot had a similar puncture wound a few years ago. If I remember right, the vet gave us an antibioccream (like neosporin) and an oral antibiotic. I think they also shaved around the area to clean it out.

MajesticCollies
10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Not only would I take the advice the other PTers have offered but also add about 2000mg vit C to his diet to kick up his immune system. I would also bring the pictures to the man who owned the golden and show him. He should be liable for your vet bill for sure.!!!!

elizabethann
10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh poor Nino. I hope he is much better today. Please keep us posted on how the bite is healing.

pitc9
10-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Ouch! Poop Baby!
Buddy has had a like that from my evil neighbor's dog.
(He gets them on his feet because the dog digs under my fence, then bites Bud) :mad:
I just kept them clean and open (so that it can drain) and plenty of antiobotic ointment!

keep us posted and make sure you show these pics to the dog's owner!!!

Suki Wingy
10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Niņo seems like he now feels close to 100%. :) We decided not to take him to the vet because He'd most likley just say to wash it and put antibiotic cream on it. I think I'll be giving Niņo his very first ever haircut today so that I can see and clean all the little marks too. I don't think I'm going to hold the owner responsible, I don't even know where about they live.

Suki Wingy
10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
There's a new twist to this story, my stepdad said that's not where the dog got him, he attacked the flank. There was no blood for several hours afterward. Could this be a bite from a wild animal or something he got on his own in the backyard? He goes out for 20 minutes unatended sometimes but it's all fenced and dog proofed. A coyote did manage to jump the fence (4 ft chain link), run through, and over the other side once but Niņo chased him/her out. It's freaking me out that I don't know what caused this and so we're taking him to the vet tomorrow most likley.

BC_MoM
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Yikes! I would be pretty scared too... that's weird. Poor Niņo! I'd keep an eye on him. Does it look like a tooth did the puncture? Or maybe a claw?

In my city, we've actually had quite a few hawks attacking small and medium sized dogs... it's quite absurd.

I hope he checks out OK at the vet. Keep us posted!

SummerRiot
10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
EEP!!

If it wasn't from the GOlden - I'd be VERY worried..

Does he have all his rabies shots up to date?? Definately get him to the vet as soon as you can to get your vet to take a look at it.

I've had a dog tooth go through my hand before and if it wasn't in the position that it was (between my fingers in the web) I would have had to get stitches.

The doctor had told me that b/c it was a tooth wound, the bacteria from the tooth itself gets pushed down INTO the hole which is harder to get rid of.

Definately take the cleaning advice from the other people on here, but I'd definately be at least giving your vet a call to see what else you can do in the mean time!!

I hope things heal quickly!

lv4dogs
10-02-2006, 11:47 AM
How scary. I'm glad to hear that he's acting fine. hugs