PDA

View Full Version : Pro plan dog food

CatLuvrs
09-30-2006, 06:25 AM
We use pro plan because the breeder said that is what she used. What do you all think is it a good food or do you think it stinks?

here are the ingredients:
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal, fish meal, corn bran, calcium phosphate, dried egg product, animal digest, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
E-4454

Kfamr
09-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't feed it. There IS worse, but there is certainly a lot better quality foods available.

It's nice that chicken is the first ingredient, but seeing that there are about 3 seperate "corn" ingredients, Corn would probably be the first ingredient if they made them into one catagory.

CatLuvrs
09-30-2006, 06:31 AM
After I made this thread I searched the archives and saw the reviews on it. I am a dork sorry.

pitc9
09-30-2006, 07:21 AM
I feed my 2 Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach.
My 2 have VERY sensitive stomachs and this has worked the best for both!
They've been eating it now for about 3 years.
Some of Pro Plans formulas are better than others.
For instance their newest formula, Turkey and Barley is great!
But Sierra is allergic to poultry so it didn't work out. (I went a head and gave it a shot anyway! :o )

Vela
09-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal, fish meal, corn bran, calcium phosphate, dried egg product, animal digest, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Chicken is good as the first ingredient, but because it's not chicken meal, it means listed as the first ingredient it still contains the water content, and once actually used in the food, with the water content removed, its probably more like the 4th or 5th ingredient on the list.

Corn gluten meal and brewers rice are leftover byproducts of grains used solely as filler and corn is NOT great for dogs, in fact is one of the leading allergens.

Whole grain corn is next, also highly undigestible anyway for both dogs and people. Too much corn is a bad thing.

Animal fat, rather than a specific fat, leaves it open to wathever renderings they can get.

poulty by product, feet, beaks, feathers, and anything else unuseable but ground up and generally REALLY nasty.

Fish meal, questionable as to content, but nothing outrageously wrong there.

corn bran...complete filler. Cannot even be digested, and yet ANOTHER source of corn. It's cheap, so they use it as filler.

Animal digest...self explanatory...what do you get when an animal digests food....basically poo.

I wouldn't feed it unless it was the ONLY option, and honestly, probably not even then. I'd give my dogs our food LOL

BC_MoM
09-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Are you talking about Purina Pro Plan? They make different names for different kinds of foods, but none are better than others.

Jessika
09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
It not the worst, but for the price you can get something SO MUCH BETTER. It has no by-products, but it has lots of other nasty stuff. Not to mention when Charlie was on it his coat looked awful and he was so itchy all the time and he had flaky skin

areias
09-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Purina has SO many different kinds of dog food-from dog chow to purina one to beneful to pro plan. Pro Plan is probably the better of the bunch. The vet clinic I work at promotes Pro Plan. I don't like it, but it IS better than KibblesNBits and such. It also dosen't have any coloring, which is a good thing. All in all, I wouldn't feed it, but if it works for your dog..than go for it.

lute
09-30-2006, 01:09 PM
it's ok. not great. i fed it to Gracie, Houston and Jake when they were all puppies. Gracie and Beanie are now on Diamond foods.