PDA

View Full Version : Soft paws

buttercup132
09-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Are they cruel??
My mom wants to get Hank declawed but I know its cruel and that it feels so weird for them and I'm trying to talk her out of it belive me!
She found soft paws but I'm not sure they still look kind of uncomfortable.
I dont see the point hes not even scratching the furniture he has 4 big scratching activity centers anddosent bother with the furniture so its pointless to do any..*sigh* I wish my mom would relise how mean it is.

BC_MoM
09-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Can you explain to me about declawing cats? I know nothing about them, but have always said if I ever do I will make sure it's declawed because I'm terrified of their nails. (I am preparing to be lectured about declawing!)

But since I know nothing about it, I'm not aware of the negatives of it....

Hoping you and your family make the right decision!

What are soft paws?

wolf_Q
09-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Declawing cats is not just removing the nail, they remove the entire last joint of the toe. It's like having the last joint of all of your fingers chopped off. It is very painful for the cat. Here's a link with more info http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/declaw.html

I'll admit I have never had a cat, but I've groomed tons of them. A declawed cat is a lot more likely to bite as you've removed their first mode of defense (claws). I've been bitten by a cat once and scratched a billion times.......trust me, a scratch isn't NEARLY as bad as a bite. Clipping nails is very simple and I've never heard anything about soft paws hurting them. If I were to ever get a cat and their scratching became a problem I would use soft paws.

buttercup132
09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Declawing is like having your knuckles up removed. Now imagine how painful that would be and uncomfotable especially if you use them for defence and day to day tasks.

Soft claws are caps the go over the cats nails and are glued on.
They do look neat I must say, like the nails have been painted.
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B00030GTBG.09._OU09_PE0_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/71/89/07_1_b.JPG

BC_MoM
09-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh, wow.. I didn't know they remove the joint as well! :eek: I guess imagining it now, a bite would be worse than a scratch.. thanks for the link, Amy! :) I'll have to read more about it.

Those Soft Paws look cute.. but I'm not sure I'd want to glue something onto my (cat).

Uabassoon
09-29-2006, 11:40 PM
We've used them before with Tuna, Pocky and Tibby and have never had any problems. We don't use them anymore as they are older now and have been trained that humans and furniture are NOT scratching posts. I didn't care so much about the furniture but when Tuna was a kitten he thought it was fun to climb up your legs! I would highly recomment them, it does take a few days for the kitty to get used to them. Once they get used to it they don't even realize that they have them on.

Sevaede
09-30-2006, 12:27 AM
We've used them before with Tuna, Pocky and Tibby and have never had any problems. We don't use them anymore as they are older now and have been trained that humans and furniture are NOT scratching posts. I didn't care so much about the furniture but when Tuna was a kitten he thought it was fun to climb up your legs! I would highly recomment them, it does take a few days for the kitty to get used to them. Once they get used to it they don't even realize that they have them on.

Indeed! Also, the soft paws fall off eventually due to nail growth and whatnot. :)

CultureJunky
09-30-2006, 04:50 AM
If Hank has plenty to scratch on he won't scratch furniture. You can add catnip to his scratching areas and other smells that may attract him more.
He is just a baby, he's bound to scratch, it's his nature, it's like telling a human baby they musn't suck on anything when they're teething!
There are other ways to distract him when he starts to claw something he shouldn't, like getting him to play.
De-clawing is barbaric and is BANNED in many countries, it's disgusting and if you're not prepared to have scratched furniture then don't have a cat. And as you've pointed out as Hank doesn't touch the furniture there is no point.
I would try to persuade her to use soft paws, there is also something called sticky paws which stops them from clawing things, you can find out about it on the net.
Sorry if I sound abrupt but cats should not be declawed.
If there is one thing that really pisses me off is people who have pets then complain about smells, fur, mess etc. It's like having kids and expecting no dirty nappies or toys everywhere.
I am not directing this to you or your mother just pointing out my opinion, and hopefully giving some advice against declawing.
And I know there are a lot of people on here who would agree with me.
I hope you find a solution and that Hank isn't declawed, there are many other options ;)

buttercup132
09-30-2006, 07:29 AM
If Hank has plenty to scratch on he won't scratch furniture. You can add catnip to his scratching areas and other smells that may attract him more.
He is just a baby, he's bound to scratch, it's his nature, it's like telling a human baby they musn't suck on anything when they're teething!
There are other ways to distract him when he starts to claw something he shouldn't, like getting him to play.
De-clawing is barbaric and is BANNED in many countries, it's disgusting and if you're not prepared to have scratched furniture then don't have a cat. And as you've pointed out as Hank doesn't touch the furniture there is no point.
I would try to persuade her to use soft paws, there is also something called sticky paws which stops them from clawing things, you can find out about it on the net.
Sorry if I sound abrupt but cats should not be declawed.
If there is one thing that really pisses me off is people who have pets then complain about smells, fur, mess etc. It's like having kids and expecting no dirty nappies or toys everywhere.
I am not directing this to you or your mother just pointing out my opinion, and hopefully giving some advice against declawing.
And I know there are a lot of people on here who would agree with me.
I hope you find a solution and that Hank isn't declawed, there are many other options ;)Dont worry I totally agree. I think its stupid thta my mom complains about nails..a DUH its a cat it has them its a kitten instead of using its teeth for teethhing it does it with its nails.
She thinks its a good idea because she has talked to other people who have done it and they said that they love it. :mad: :rolleyes:

catnapper
09-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Why not just trim his nails? By the time you get around to gluing the caps on you could have trimmed his nails. Much cheaper!

Trimmed nails, 5 minutes a day of training on scratching posts, and scratching posts strategically placed throughout the home ensures no scratching.

Freedom
09-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Catnip on the scratching posts is great, I have done that.

And double sided sticky tape on the the furniture and other places NOT to scratch also works great. I bought some mounting tape at the craft store last time, couldn't find the tape. It works fine.

If he is not scratching the furniture, what the heck is bothering your mom? The scent glands are NOT removed, so the cat can still leave her/his mark on the scratching post as 'owned' territory.

I have one cat with front paws declawed - her first owner did that when she was a kitten (I am her third owner! first oe died; second moved into elderly housing where only 1 cat was permitted, and she had 2.) Her front paws look so strange compared to the other cats here. She still jumps and climbs on the bed, sofa, and cat perches here. She is a bit less stable in her antics because she can't hold on. Her paws are short and awkward looking.

Good luck talking your mom OUT of the horrible idea.

moosmom
09-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Why not just trim his nails? By the time you get around to gluing the caps on you could have trimmed his nails. Much cheaper!

Trimmed nails, 5 minutes a day of training on scratching posts, and scratching posts strategically placed throughout the home ensures no scratching.

Great advice!! Another thing to note is that it is SO inhumane, declawing is outlawed in Europe. I only wish the US would follow suit.

momcat
09-30-2006, 11:06 AM
When we first got Groucho he was 7 weeks old. One of the first things I talked to our vet about was declawing (the first thing was neutering). Our vet explained the process and it was very clear that she strongly disapproves of the practice. Dr explained that cats claws are their first line of defense and even indoor only kitties do manage to get out at times, the cat is permanently maimed, their balance is effected, and it could give rise to other problems. Add to that the pain the poor cat must endure as a result. Declawing MUST be stopped!!!

Miss Z
09-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Declawing is very cruel and I'm glad it's banned here. I'd never seen those soft-paws before, I personally think they look hideous but I suppose it's a lot better than being declawed.

I hope you can manage to talk your mum out of the idea Alicia, I know you'll try your best.

Catty1
09-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Your mom may not know that the first joint in the cat's toe is removed. Tell her that!

And her friends LOVE it? What does the CAT think??? :rolleyes:

Do try the catnip on scratching posts. I mean, if Hank isn't scratching where he's not supposed to - what is the problem???

If she DOES insist on talking to the vet, ask her to have the vet explain the whole thing (you can tell her that you want to know!). That might be enough to stop her!

Good luck!

GreyhoundGirl
09-30-2006, 01:22 PM
No offence anyone, ( I'm sort of with the " natural " look ) I (personally ) think those nails look sort of stupid. Perhaps I wouldn't mind the clear or black ones, but the colourful ones just make me think the people have the pet as a fashion accesory. ( pet peeve: people that have small dogs as fashion acsesories and have them wear humiliating things like little pink skirts :mad: )

I'm also not sure how well they would work. As has been mentioned, the cat's nails would grow, you would have to keep re-glueing the things on. Personally, I'd just cut 'em once a week and place a scratching post in my house somewere.

I hope no one has found any offence in this post because none was ment. :)

Catty1
09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I worked at a ca kennel...and one cat had them. They do stay on for quite a while, until the nail's sheath grows and sheds.

I think they are a valid alternative to declawing - and cats have even been thrown out of the house or worse for it. Some older cats who are adopted may not be able to have inappropriate scratching trained out of them! (Except MY two angels! :D )

It's good there are neutral colours available.

The one cat at the boarding kennel I worked at was a tortie - and she had the orange-red Soft Paws on. What a hoot! She was quite the fashionista - and I am her her purrents furniture was in good shape! :)

Absolutely no offence taken, GG. But see Moosmom's post about Two Cats being out, and you'll see what can happen.

flamepony12
09-30-2006, 02:40 PM
We've read all about them, and they're MUCH, much better than declawing! We actually have the *clear* ones on Amber right now. This was actually sort of a last-resort, we tried putting the scratching post in front of her and everything, but she kept using her claws for unnecessary reasons. We decided to expirement with the soft claws, and it's working out great so far. They don't bother her AT ALL, she got used to them being on within an hour. They aren't inhumane either, they dissolve and fall off within 6 to 8 weeks.

She can still naturally retract and extend her claws, she just can't do nearly as much damage to us and the furniture (:

catmandu
09-30-2006, 05:12 PM
The Found Cats Who Are Declawed Came That Way, And I Wish That There Was An Operation To Reclaw Them, As They Do Have A Hard Time Reaching The Back Of Thier Tail When They Try And Keep Themselves Clean.
Declawing Is Very Cruel.

moosmom
09-30-2006, 05:43 PM
The first joint of the cat's knuckle is not removed, it's CHOPPED OFF. I can't stand it when they try to sugar coat the procedure. (no offense Catty1)

I tell people, "Chop all your fingers and toes off at the first joint, then force yourself to walk on all fours. THAT'S what a cat has to endure.

Later on, cats can develop arthritis in their paws, litterbox and biting problems.

buttercup132
09-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Guys its NOT my fault like I said in my original post , I know to keep the nails clipped, and like I said in my first post I have TONS of scratching post.

No offence anyone, ( I'm sort of with the " natural " look ) I (personally ) think those nails look sort of stupid. Perhaps I wouldn't mind the clear or black ones, but the colourful ones just make me think the people have the pet as a fashion accesory. ( pet peeve: people that have small dogs as fashion acsesories and have them wear humiliating things like little pink skirts http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif )

I'm also not sure how well they would work. As has been mentioned, the cat's nails would grow, you would have to keep re-glueing the things on. Personally, I'd just cut 'em once a week and place a scratching post in my house somewere.

I hope no one has found any offence in this post because none was ment They arent in anyway a fashion acsesory...they are a alternative to declawing, dressing up dogs in things like skirts have no purpose putting a sweater on them in the winter (on dogs that have little or no fur) helps the dog stay warm. Putting these caps on the claws stops them from clawing your skin and furniture(although Hank dosent claw the furniture he dose get the skin good )They stay on till the nail grows wich as someone said is 6-8 weeks when they fall off.
The whole fashion acsesory thing is like saying you buying jenny a really nice looking collar and then accusing you of using it for a fashion acsesory, you and I both know thats not the case so dont assume things.

flamepony12
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
This is
Devon's mom (not Devon) posting this. My registered name is Fishdish, but I wasn't able to log on under my username :confused: .

Buttercup, I say that you should absolutely give Soft Claws a try. They are amazing! Nobody who loves animals wants to do anything that would make them suffer in any way. I promise you that Amber was fine while we applied the caps, and that she ignored them within 20 minutes - we immediately fed her favorite food to distract her and it worked!

We also trim Amber's nails regularly, but that does not stop her from using furniture and screens (in addition to her scratching posts) to keep her
claws sharp.

It was helpful to have one of us hold her and gently extend her claw while the other applied the tip. Use whatever color you like -it makes no difference to the kitty. Some people like using the colored ones so they can more easily tell if/when one has come off.

IMO, why should we have to deal with destruction of furniture and potential danger to other pets/people when there is such a great alternative? There is nothing even remotely harmful to the cat by the use of Soft Claws. We put them on Amber this past Friday afternoon and only had to replace one this (Sunday) morning.

Replacing them is no big deal at all and one pack comes with 40 caps, so
you don't have to keep ordering/buying replacements.

So, as you can probably tell, we are fans of soft claws.

Btw: you can read the testimonial page at Softpaws.com for people's happiness with the product. I promise that I have nothing to do with
the owners/creators of them :0) - we just love how well they are working and the stress that they are saving all around :). There is also a mini-video that shows you how to apply them if you decide to give them a try.

Good luck and keep us posted :0).

CultureJunky
10-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Gary, which ones of the found cats are declawed just out of interest?

Beauty17
10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
If you start clipping a cat's claws when they are kittens, they will accept it all their lives - in my experience. If you try to start when they are older, you are more likely to have problems with them struggling and scratching. When they are kittens, they just figure you're their mother and you have the "right" to groom them, as part of your job - or so I imagine.

buttercup132
10-02-2006, 03:54 PM
If you start clipping a cat's claws when they are kittens, they will accept it all their lives - in my experience. If you try to start when they are older, you are more likely to have problems with them struggling and scratching. When they are kittens, they just figure you're their mother and you have the "right" to groom them, as part of your job - or so I imagine.Hes fine with nail clipping I never said he wasnt and clipping his nails isnt going to stop him from scratching it just makes them a little less sharp.
I have noticed him scratching the kitchen chairs(nothing else) just the kitchen ones and told him no then put him over to one of his posts and I havnt seen him do it agian yet, but I'm gone to school for the day so I cant constantly keep watch.
Thanks Devons mom, my mom ordered some but the kittens ones only come in natural , but thats ok as we are just testing them out. I will have to watch the video. Thanks:)

Catty1
10-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I am so glad your mom is trying them out!

What changed her mind? :)

Good work!

KitCat
10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
My cat was declawed before I got him and he seems OK and able to get around like other cats. I make sure he stays indoors because he would certainly be at a disadvantage against other animals. He still tries to scratch things because it's an instinct and good exercise but it doesn't do any harm.

buttercup132
10-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I am so glad your mom is trying them out!

What changed her mind? :)

Good work!She was just willing to try them . Litrally every day I bring up how declawing is bad and what it can do hopefully it will knock some sense into her about it. If she loves Hank that much she wont get him declawed (hopefully).

Argranade
10-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Hope everything works well for Hank!

I never knew the claws could be removed like that ouch!!.

My mom said if I wanted to get my bunny de-clawed I didnt even know how it worked but I said ''No way!!'', glad your mom is understanding. :)

fishdish
10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Alicia, I hope Soft Claws work as well for your family (and Hank!) as they
have for us (and Amber).

They are very easy to apply and I'm sure he'll get used to them in no time at all. Even the older cats don't seem to mind them :).

Let us know how it goes. We've only had one fall off since last Friday. I was able to replace it on my own - no help needed from Devon ;)