PDA

View Full Version : I met someone but.. at a bar.. suggestion?

CountryWolf07
09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
i think I met someone last night.. He is my type.. and he just walked up to me and told me he knew ASL sign and he wanted to sign a little, so he did that.. *Was that an icebreaker, because I think so*, and he asked me if he could buy me a drink, then asked me if i was leaving and i told him no, so he said good cause he wanted to talk to me more and i guess he said he wanted me to teach him more so he gave me his # and i have it.. and I guess I am too scared to call.. but should I just call him? Cause' he kept insisting how he wanted to sign more and he'd love to learn more...

Is it a good sign that he checked to see if we both had our #'s right on the phone, too?

JenBKR
09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I personally don't see anything wrong with meeting someone at a bar, my friend met her husband at a bar. I think the whole stigma attached to meeting someone at a bar has more to do with going home with that person that night, both people drunk.....you know what I mean? In any case, he sounds like a good person and I think you should call. Just be careful, (although I would give that advice no matter where you met him). And, if he's interested in learning more sign language from you, I think that shows that he's interested in more than just taking you home for the night. Just my own opinion. :)

moosmom
09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
CountryWolf07

Just be careful

Great advice. Please be careful. Although I'm sure there is nothing wrong with meeting someone in a bar, there ARE alot of strange people in this world. I hope he is all you've dreamed of. Good luck.

Cataholic
09-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh. Oh. I thought you were dating someone? I guess not.

Nothing wrong with meeting someone at a bar. "Nice" people go to a bar, you were there, right? :D

Go slow, go carefull, and go in groups. WAH! I am such a mother! (and, don't any of you wise guys be adding anything to that word. :mad: :D :eek: )

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-29-2006, 02:21 PM
(and, don't any of you wise guys be adding anything to that word. :mad: :D :eek: )

LOL Johanna - I am sure the thought never even crossed anyone's mind ;)

I agree with the others - take it slow and be careful.

I also agree that there is nothing wrong with meeting someone in a bar - after all you have to meet SOMEWHERE!! (I'll bet you that if you ask on PT where people met their SO's you will get a lot of VERY intersting answers. I met my hubby when a friend of mine thought she had dialled a wrong number, got in a panic, and passed me the phone...guess who was on the other end of the line!! I know at least one PTer who has met their hubby online, so meeting in a bar is a pretty old-fashioned normal place to meet IMHO!!)

Re the ASL - It sounds like you have some common ground to start with, so why not take it slowly and see what happens.

Daisy and Delilah
09-29-2006, 02:23 PM
I hope it works out well for you :) Best of luck. I agree with the fact that there are good people at bars too :)

CountryWolf07
09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh. Oh. I thought you were dating someone? I guess not.

Nothing wrong with meeting someone at a bar. "Nice" people go to a bar, you were there, right? :D

Go slow, go carefull, and go in groups. WAH! I am such a mother! (and, don't any of you wise guys be adding anything to that word. :mad: :D :eek: )

Nope. I'm not dating anyone right now - My ex dumped me 5 months ago. I am moving on and I'm ready to date someone again. So I'm kind of hoping, he'd be that person, but who knows..

I will call him later, see what he's up to for tomorrow night's game.. OSU/Iowa game.. good icebreaker?

Cinder & Smoke
09-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not dating anyone right now - My ex dumped me 5 months ago.

:eek:
That louse! :mad:

Well, his loss, Your gain ... Keep on truckin!

And DON'T lower your standards - you deserve a *nice* guy - keep looking till
you find him!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred

CountryWolf07
09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
:eek:
That louse! :mad:

Well, his loss, Your gain ... Keep on truckin!

And DON'T lower your standards - you deserve a *nice* guy - keep looking till
you find him!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred

Oh thanks Phred! (hugs) I know I do deserve a nice guy, which I THINK this guy is a nice one... so hopefully we'll be friends and see what happens from there eventually.

I will never lower my standards to any guy, all I can do is to be myself and just let my personality show off. I am often told by my friends that I am impossible to forget because I leave an impression.

zoey
09-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi! I'm glad you met someone nice, but take it slowly.
Did i understand you correctly? You both had given the other your numbers? If so, wait for him to call you.
Guys want you to be aloof in the beginning, trust me.
You don't have to play games, but just be patient and don't appear too eager. Just reserve your best for the right time and place, ya' know? Anyway, good luck!

CountryWolf07
09-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes. I actually gave him my #, then he called my cell phone to get his number in it. He checked to make sure it was my # and I made sure it was his. So, it isn't fake or anything.

I did have his email address, but ha, it didn't work - but it figures.

I am going to call him eventually, see what's up and see if he wants to hang out.

I am so bad at this thing - dating - I don't know the games or the rules of dating, basically but I'm just gonna take it slow and see how it goes.

He was ONLY the guy that came up to me at the bar just to say hi and he kept apologizing if he'd offend me because I knew sign language and he wanted to participate in that and sign a little to me. He just talked to me, and I was with a group of friends, and he just came up and talked to me. When he asked to buy me a drink, I was thinking "ME?! Wow."

I don't have this happen to me much often, honestly.

moosmom
09-29-2006, 07:36 PM
He sounds like a pretty swell guy to me! Good luck.

BC_MoM
09-29-2006, 07:53 PM
That's really great! Give him a call! Even if a relationship doesn't work out, maybe a great friendship will! Good luck! ;)

Vette
09-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Thats how my mom and dad met,, and theyve been happily married 33 years (34 in Dec) :D

Karen
09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes. I actually gave him my #, then he called my cell phone to get his number in it. He checked to make sure it was my # and I made sure it was his. So, it isn't fake or anything.

I did have his email address, but ha, it didn't work - but it figures.

I am going to call him eventually, see what's up and see if he wants to hang out.

I am so bad at this thing - dating - I don't know the games or the rules of dating, basically but I'm just gonna take it slow and see how it goes.

He was ONLY the guy that came up to me at the bar just to say hi and he kept apologizing if he'd offend me because I knew sign language and he wanted to participate in that and sign a little to me. He just talked to me, and I was with a group of friends, and he just came up and talked to me. When he asked to buy me a drink, I was thinking "ME?! Wow."

I don't have this happen to me much often, honestly.

Wait a bit, then give him a call. It is 2006, it's okay for a girl to call a guy! Then if you want, set up a public place to meet, and have an ASL lesson plan in your head to start the conversation!

slleipnir
09-29-2006, 08:58 PM
My mom and dad met at a bar...I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't see any harm in calling him

pitc9
09-30-2006, 07:48 AM
That's really great! Give him a call! Even if a relationship doesn't work out, maybe a great friendship will! Good luck! ;)

True!!
I think it was very sweet of him to come up to you and sign!!
I would have been flattered!
There's nothing wrong with meeting people in a bar. Sure there could be wack-o's at a bar, but they can also be at the grocery store, the bank... etc! :D
Keep us posted!
Let us know when you call him!

CountryWolf07
09-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Is it supposed to be this nervewracking to call someone? I actually ended up e-mailing him.

I actually looked his name up on the OSU website, and his name is legit, email is legit, so I know he's telling the truth.. I know I am paranoid about that, but I just didn't want to get all too excited about something that may never happen, but at least I emailed him, saying thanks for the shot, and I'd love to teach him more ASL, and what he was up to for tonight's game, but is that good enough?

CathyBogart
09-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I met my best friend at a bar. :) I disagree with whoever said to wait for him to call you...Glad you emailed him...that can be a little less nerve-wracking than actually calling. :)

CountryWolf07
09-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I tend to make the first move. He did ask me for my # first, so I figured I'd make the next move.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Is it supposed to be this nervewracking to call someone? I actually ended up e-mailing him.

Don't worry, I bet he's just as nervous as you. He sounds nice. :)

CountryWolf07
10-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I heard from him today! :)

He texted me asking if I was Rachel, the one he was signing to at the bar last Thursday, and I told him it was me, and he said he wanted to make sure and he couldn't figure out which Rachel (he had two Rachel's in his phone), and he was saying that he did get my message and it was full. He wanted to say that he was welcome and anytime with a smiley face after it. Then I asked him if he would want to hang out sometime and I could teach him more sign language if he wanted to, and he said "Sure! That would be really cool" and I just asked him for his AIM sn if he had one, and he gave it to me and informed me that he was usually online but he's often away.

:) He didn't forget about me!

CountryWolf07
10-04-2006, 12:02 AM
And..

He wants to go to the ASL social on Friday evening with me.. and he has to see if he can get someone else to take his place at his work, so he'll let me know about that, if not.. I asked him if he was up to for hanging out over the weekend.. and he said he would.. so.. so.. I guess something good comes out of this.. and I am just letting it go with the flow..

:)

My Peanuts
10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I met my bf at a bar and let me tell you, he is the most wonderful person in the world. The weird part was that whenever ANYONE would walk up to me in a bar I wouldn't talk to them. Maybe a hello or whatever but I wasn't the nicest person, but when my bf, Joe, walked up to me it was different right away. That was over 2 years ago :). Not everyone in a bar is just looking for a good time, some are looking for relationships.

I say give it a chance.

My Peanuts
10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Also, Joe told me that at the beginning he was trying to play it cool, but he really liked me right away. So if this guy tries to be a little stand-offish don't worry too much. Just a little advice. :) Good luck!

And..

He wants to go to the ASL social on Friday evening with me.. and he has to see if he can get someone else to take his place at his work, so he'll let me know about that, if not.. I asked him if he was up to for hanging out over the weekend.. and he said he would.. so.. so.. I guess something good comes out of this.. and I am just letting it go with the flow..

:)

Spending time with you on a weekend means he's pretty into you. Just more of my advice ;)

CountryWolf07
10-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I am exactly LIKE you! I don't just talk to guys at bars.. I just ignore them like you did, but for some reason, I just was able to talk to David. He seems like he's worth the chance, so I'm gonna go for it... and see what happens..

It's actually pretty hard to hold back and hope that it isn't too good to be true..

There's something about him, though. It's a good thing.

Oh something else, my friends told me that he was trying to figure out when to come up to talk to me, because it took him like 10-15 mins, and they noticed him looking at me from the distance.. and when he came up to me, he was somewhat nervous, but I guess I kept telling him it was all good, and we started talking, well, more like signing in ASL.

My Peanuts
10-09-2006, 03:29 PM
So did you two meet up this weekend? What happened?

CountryWolf07
10-09-2006, 03:59 PM
He picked me up in his red Wrangler Jeep - he is a sweetheart, very nice guy! He's exactly my type, what I"m looking for. He's only 5'7" and very nice smile/eyes.. Most importantly, he is HILARIOUS! We went out to Eddie George's, a restaurant on High St. to have lunch... he paid for it, opened the doors.. I made a comment about how I hated elevators when we were in it to go down from the top of the parking lot, and he was like, why.. and I told him I got stuck in one.. and when we got back to the parking lot, went on the elevator again, he jokingly "pretended" to press all the buttons.. because he remembered. So yeah over lunch, we talked a lot but he mainly had me LAUGHING almost the entire time. I felt so comfortable and I was at ease. It is a good thing. Usually I can't talk much around guys but I could talk a lot to him. He is just so adorable. I love his personality. Good looks, good personality, good attitude about life, etc. He is in the ROTC of the air force. He wants to be a pilot and that's his dream to.

I hope this is going to lead to something. Like, we play off eachother really well relating to humor. He's pretty cool and I do like him. I told him that I"d love to hang out again if he wanted to and he was like "Yes I would!" and so I'm looking foward to that.

I'm just not sure if he's into me or not yet, but he asked a lot of questions, but I think he could be playing it cool for now..

Also, when I had lunch with Dave, he mentioned how french sign language was the same thing as ours, like similiar.. then he was like, what's the sign for a hangover? I was like hm, good question.. and I swear this, later that night my friend's bf asked me the same thing, and her bf's friend, Beau was talking about how French's sign language was same as ours.. and I'm like, What is this?! Twice in one day...

I just thought that was really weird

ComedyDevil
10-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Please tell me you've posted this same thing somewhere else, cause I swear I've read what you just wrote before ... unless I'm going crazy! :p

Glad things are working out - he sounds like a great guy! :)

My Peanuts
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Honestly, this is exactly how my bf is. No joke. When we met we would laugh at each other’s comments and jokes a lot and we still do. Before him I was with the same guy for 10 years and I thought that some of the stuff that Joe was doing, like opening doors, was an act, but he still does it after 2 years. Your guy really really sounds a lot like mine!

After being with the same person for 10 years I thought I'd be a wreck with a new person, but I was comfortable with Joe right away. I think that’s key and it sounds like you and this guy have that kind of comfort. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this turns into something meaningful. I hope you end up as happy as I am. :)

CountryWolf07
10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Comedy - ha, yeah, I deleted that thread. Didn't want to make it confusing!

And..

Aw thank you! :)

I just hope it is a good sign.

I sent him a text message today saying thanks for lunch.. and he said "No problem" then he asked me how the signing of the ASL national anthem was on Saturday.. and I was like, he remembered. That was nice of him to ask. I am going with the flow, but I am trying so hard just to... go with it. And he just seems like the perfect guy I've been looking for all my life. Ahh.. kind of scary but, very intriguing at the same time.. He isn't even taking an ASL class but he is taking a class about deaf culture.. he had told me he was in ASL class this quarter at the bar, but I think that was a pickup line.. haha..

wolf_Q
10-09-2006, 04:22 PM
It sounds like it went really well, Rachel! It would be great if you two became a couple, but if not, hey at least you're having fun right? :) Take some pics of him! ;)

I have never even been in a bar in my life, is that crazy? :o I don't drink though, so it kinda makes sense lol.

My Peanuts
10-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I sent him a text message today saying thanks for lunch.. and he said "No problem" then he asked me how the signing of the ASL national anthem was on Saturday.. and I was like, he remembered. That was nice of him to ask. I am going with the flow, but I am trying so hard just to... go with it. And he just seems like the perfect guy I've been looking for all my life. Ahh.. kind of scary but, very intriguing at the same time.. He isn't even taking an ASL class but he is taking a class about deaf culture.. he had told me he was in ASL class this quarter at the bar, but I think that was a pickup line.. haha..
[/I]

I think that's a very good sign. A text message is easy to ignore if he wasn't into you. Plus, it's always easy to say you didn't get a text. He responded, I think he's really likes you. :)

CountryWolf07
10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
It sounds like it went really well, Rachel! It would be great if you two became a couple, but if not, hey at least you're having fun right? :) Take some pics of him! ;)

I have never even been in a bar in my life, is that crazy? :o I don't drink though, so it kinda makes sense lol.

It's all good!

Amy, the funniest part is - I never wanted to meet a guy from a BAR and look what happened! Ha, guess I have to watch what I say..