PDA

View Full Version : Fister is going for a visit over the weekend....

Randi
09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
... and I need advice and inputs. ;)

My new neihgbor around the corner has been admiring Fister for some time from her kitchen window, we both have windows in the corner. She loves cats and is cuddling with some near her work every day. :) If you look for the thread about "Fisters new girlfriend", you'll see how close we live. The people living in her flat before, had two cats.

I have have known her for some time now, and she's a very calm and nice person. :) Unfortunately, when she comes to visit, Fister hides under the bed (he does that with most people). :( She did manage to give him some crunchies yesterday, while he was under the bed. :D

Anyway, she has offered to have Fister in her flat, if I go on holiday. We're going to see how it works out tomorrow. I expect (so does she) that he'll hide for the first few days. Hopefully he'll come out wanting to cuddle.

I'm thinking of taking his litterbox, blankets, pillow, a little carpet, catnip doll, his bed and brush in there, and then go and get him in the box. :eek:

My question is, once he's there, should I stay for bit, or leave shortly after? I don't suppose it's a good idea to let him see me from her kitchen window. Also, should I give him 2 mg. of Valium? I've done it before, and he can still walk straight. 5 mg makes him a bit wobbly on the feet.

He will have a different view to the yard, but I think he'll recognise it.

Oh, I'm so exited to see how it goes, and if my friend can handle him! Wish us luck, please!

Edwina's Secretary
09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Fister's first sleep over! How exciting! Make sure there is some "used" (by Fister!) litter in his box so he recognizes it.

What a tough question....stay or leave right away. I can think of good reasons for either choice!

Not much good am I....

Cinder & Smoke
09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
My question is, once he's there, should I stay for bit, or leave shortly after?

Also, should I give him 2 mg. of Valium?

ENJOY your Sleepover, Fister! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Stay or Leave?
See what he does ... if he runs & hides ... I'd think just sayin G-bye and letting
him deal with it might be less stressful.
If he hangs around either one of you Gals - encourage him and stay for a while.

I hope your Sitter / Friend is willing to deal with a *whiney* Kat for a couple days ...
Fister might not think this is the Greatest of Ideas --- and try to tell the world that
he's not too Happie about it. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

And she should keep a *sharp eye* out for his possibly >marking< to display his displeasure.

Consider some small, eye-level, "Remember the KAT!" reminder signs for BOTH sides
of her outside or hall doors - so she thinks to *look* for da Kat before opening a door. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

"Try not to worry, Mom" ... Enjoy your Holiday!!

Barbara
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Oh- that's a test! I suppose it would be easier if you went away.
Couldn't she care for Fister in your apartment when you are away. We always do that with our neighbors and we take care of their kitties. A cat in its own area is in a much better mood and she would get more cuddling out of Fister when she'd come to see him daily.

Freedom
09-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I have always had someone come IN to (my) the cats' home when I travel. I have never considered moving THEM. Cats are just so sensitive by nature. Only some of them accept change; change throws them into a panic more often. Having me gone is already a BIG DEAL in their world. So I keep them where they are settled and a neighbor stops in, a minimum of once a day, more often if the neighbor wants to. (my neighbor's son is 10 and thinks cats are REALLY neat; they own dogs.)

And I leave the alarm set on the clock radio - NOT for the alarm, but for the music on the radio. It comes on for about an hour, then resets to the next day. So they aren't in a silent household.

catmandu
09-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Cats Are Fairly Adaptable, And If Fister Has A Nice Quiet Place, He Will Eventually Be All Right.
It May Take Some Time Before Hes Visible, But He Should Be Fine.

Sonia59
09-30-2006, 05:58 AM
I won't be of very good advice because Peppito and Jasmine are used to travel with me (car, plane) and they enjoy staying in a new place as long as their purrents are with them ;)

But I would say that the best would be to have your neighbour come in your, sorry, Fister's appartment instead. Or you could test before your holiday and let Fister go there for a day or a week-end while you are here and you can visit him sometimes.
Good luck for this new adventure :)

Randi
09-30-2006, 08:12 AM
It went rather smooth. :) I packed his things and went in with them, then his litter box. Lastly, I went to get the transport box in the cellar and put it behind a cupboard in the kitchen. Fister was still sleeping on my bed and was not in the least suspicious.

Before this, I had defrosted a few fillets of white fish, so I went to cut them up.... and there came Fister. ;) I quickly closed the door while Fister was eating the fish, sitting in the window. He found that very odd, but didn't freak out. So I grapped him and put him in the box - no bloodshed.

In her flat, he immediately went to check everything out, he miawed for while, but soon settled in the kitchen window. He even ate the rest of the fish I had brought, and he let my friend stroke him, sitting in the window. :) I'm sure he recognises the yard, and the scaffolds right outside

I stayed for about an hour. Although it's difficult for me not to look, we agreed that it is best I don't let him see me from the window, and I also closed it completely, so he doesn't hear the familiar sounds from my kitchen.

At the moment, he's laying in her window, sleeping. :) Do I dare go down with my laundry? :eek: I think the scaffolds will cover me. ;)

ChrisH
09-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Glad it is going so well Randi. :)

Bengalz
09-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Randi,

You are such a great cat mom :) Always thinking about Fister's happiness first :cool:

Don't worry - he will be just fine. It sounds like your friend has a soft spot for that big orange boy. There's no way she would let him be anything but happy :) He will be coddled and well fed, just the way it should be. And the familiarity of his surrounds will likely be soothing for him.

Now, as for you, young lady ... please go off and have a wonderful vacation! You certainly deserve it.

Enjoy!!

momcat
09-30-2006, 10:51 AM
It sounds as if Fister will do just fine this weekend. Great idea to include some of the toys and things that he's familiar with, that way he'll be with some of the things he knows. Interesting that Fister didn't run off and hide when you took him over there. Even though Fister will be well cared for, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you when it's time to come back home.

Barbara
09-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't have believed that he would just enjoy his visit with auntie :D This sounds good! But don't get jealous ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Wow Fister, your first weekend out!! Be sure to get lots of goodies for being such a good guest :) ;)

Randi
10-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Fister was such a good boy!! He's back! Gosia (my friend) really is a cat person. :) At times I thought about giving her a call to remind her of certain things, but she already thought of that. :D

Fister stayed under her bed for a while, but came out early evening, walked around a bit to check more things out, and then settled ON her bed. He made sure he had a view to her in the other room where she was watching TV.

Later, I saw Fister in the kitchen window, her stroking him, he seemed to enjoy that.

I got the whole story with every little detail. When she went to bed, he came up to lay next to her, he was cautious at first, but ended up giving her headbumpies and turning around so she could give him tummy rubs. Isn't that wonderful!! :) Once she woke up with him standing right in front of her face. LOL!

As he seemed to like to sit in her kitchen window also, I gave her a thick blanket he could lay on, as he was leaning agaist the cold window. I went to the toilet around 2AM and had to to go see if he was there; he was.

A little later on, he went back to her bed for more cuddles. He didn't use his litter box until 5AM but she certainly heard it!! LOL! He was digging to China as usual and miawing loudly too. She was woken up several times, but she claimed it was from the music - some people had a party, I heard it too. :) I her bedroom he chose to sit in the window where the I hadn't put the sheet, that was probably because it was slightly open, he loves to sit and sniff the air.

He wasn't eating and drinking much, so she tempted him with some tuna - very thoughtful. :)

I came in to get him before dinnertime, he was under the bed then, but would he come out!! NO way!! After a while, I had to go and get broomstick to chase him out, but what he did was hide under her couch in the other room. I tried again and he went back under her bed. :rolleyes: Well, Fister, do you want to move in for good?? :eek:

In the end we managed to get him out in the kichen, we had arranged that he may as well go down the stairs himself, to the yard he recognises, but here the next problem occured. The kitchen door was open and Gosia stood outside to make sure he wouldn't run up. We thought that was very clever, but he ran to the window instead of the door. At that point, he was quite confused and getting scared, so when I grapped him he panicked and peed in her window. :( However, I got him and put him out on the staircase and he rushed down... we had set the door ajar. Once he was in the yard, he went straight to my staircase door and couldn't get fast enough. He raced up, and he even opened my door himself.

I think we have to refine the leaving ritual next time. LOL!

All in all, it was a good visit and Gosia still loves him. :D I'm also relieved Fister and Gosia gets along so well. :)

Back in my place, we had good long cuddle, and he's happy things are back to normal after all.

I took a few pics, but will post them tomorrow - it's bedtime here.

Bengalz
10-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Fister is such a gentlemen :) I'm so glad things went well with your friend and he was comfortable enough with her to cuddle.

As for the "leaving part" - well it seems the boy sure knows where home is :D That's a good thing - none of this wandering around and getting lost stuff - what a good boy :D

Isn't it good to know there is someone close by who can and will take care of your baby? I wish I had someone that close to take care of Eve when we have to be away from home - it would be so comforting.

Betty

Killearn Kitties
10-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Randi, that is great that the visit went so well. Yes, I'm sure you will manage to refine the leaving ritual, but for the rest of the visit, Fister seemed quite confortable. Clever boy!

Since it all went so well, where are you thinking of travellling? A PT tour perhaps? :D

Logan
10-02-2006, 10:33 AM
It is always good to know you have a backup, Randi. I'm so glad everything went well on Fister's first "overnight" visit!!!!! :) Exploring new places is fun!!! :D

momoffuzzyfaces
10-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Glad Fister is home and snuggling with you. I was afraid at first he would stay with your friend forever!!! :eek: :D

Randi
10-09-2006, 10:00 AM
This was just to see how Fister would be doing IF I went on a vacation. I'm sure glad to see he was happy with my neighbor. :)

When I came to get him, I brought my camera. To me, he looks quite content? :D

So here's a video clip. (QuickTime). Sorry it's a little dark, it was late afternoon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-09-2006, 10:57 AM
So here's a video clip. (QuickTime). Sorry it's a little dark, it was late afternoon.

I cannot open it :( . We do have Quick Time, so I wonder why??

I am glad Fuster was such a good boy! Now, when are you hopping over to Belgium :confused: :D

Randi
10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure why you can't view it, it may be too big, or I may have saved it in a wrong format. I did get it down from 22MB to 2 though. There are so many options, I'll look into it later.

lizbud
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Great story Randi. I couldn't view the video either, but your description
of Fister's whole sleep over trip was very vivid in itself. I'm so glad that all
went well. Good job for you, your friend and Fister. :)

gini
10-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh, how we fuss over our babies! When my neighbor takes care of my three, I really do worry - will she do this - will she do that?

I think it takes a Pet Talker to really understand. I spoil them rotten, but a neighbor just opens the can and goes................

Now, Randi - you see, YOU CAN TAKE A VACATION!! (hint)

kimlovescats
10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
I couldn't view the video either. I'm glad things went so well!!! :)