PDA

View Full Version : Hey Moosmom!!!!!!

kimlovescats
09-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Guess what I am doing this morning? At noon I am going to our local (very high kill) Animal Control facility and "posting bail" for 2 Sphinx kitties!!!! I received a desperate plea for them by e-mail last night. I knew I had no room (and no business) to take them in, so I just offered to pay their pull fees! I have to be there right at 12:00 when they open for adoptions ... so no freak will "buy" them for a novelty!!!! The rescue who I am helping is going to have them boarded at her vet's office and already has a good prospect for their adoption. I sure hope I get to at least pet them today! I've never touched a hairless kitty! hehehe! Now I'll get to see what you are so addicted to!!! :D

Kim

lvpets2002
09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
:) Oh thats so great & you go girl & get them babies.. Yes I have held & petted Hairless & they feel & look so different.. Hey what can I say we love our babies.. thanks kim

moosmom
09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Kim,

Cool!!!! I'm so excited for you!! Please try and post pictures if you can. Once you go nekkid, there ain't nothing like it in the world!!! How in the world did two purebred Sphynxes get into a high kill shelter anyways???

Great job girl!

Dorothy39
09-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Wow!!!

Great Job Kimlovescats!!

I've never touched ( nor have I seen) a Sphinx Cat!!! :cool:

kimlovescats
09-29-2006, 04:19 PM
What a DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is 4:00 pm, and I just got home. I was at the shelter before the doors were unlocked at 12:00 noon. I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

I was contacted by another rescue (stranger to me) by e-mail last night, desperately looking for someone to pull these two Sphinx cats from my local high-kill shelter. They were afraid that they were coming down with URI and would be PTS soon. (I know for a fact this "shelter" does that as soon as any signs of watery eyes show up! :mad: Anyway, I told this person (Peggy) that I had no room, but I would help with the pull fee. She then referred me to another rescue via an e-mail from lady #2 (Beth). Long story short.... through many e-mails late last night and all the way up til FIVE MINUTES before I left to go this morning, we had it arranged that I would go and just pay their $160.00 pull fee ... then Beth would have them transported to her vet where they would be altered. She then had a good potential adoptive home lined up. Beth said her paperwork was already started and PAWS (the shelter) would be expecting me.

I get there before the doors are unlocked and there is another woman with two empty carriers at the door as well. They unlock the door and I let this lady go in right before me. She begins saying that she is there two pick up 2 cats ... that they were "expecting her". So, I said "they wouldn't happen to be the Spinx would they?" Well, yes, they were. Ok.... so what the heck? They have 2 different notes saying that each of us were to pull these cats. I tried to explain, and defend my position, that I was only there to PAY their pull fees, but I had an agreement / obligation to this rescue that they would be "their" cats. Well things were pretty uncomfortable as you can imagine.
Then this other woman walks back to the back of the shelter (like she is "comfortable" there) and goes behind the doors. She comes back out with an employee who starts processing her paperwork for the cats.

I spoke up and asked ... didn't she even tell you that we are BOTH here for these cats and there has been a mix-up? So .... she ends up calling the original lady who started this whole process (Peggy) and Peggy says they are to go to this other rescue. (Agape) Ok, no skin off my back personally, I was just there to "post bail" for these two. They were getting "sprung" so no big deal.

Well, I got to the end of the street and turned around and came BACK. I walked back up to both ladies (still at the counter) and said. "You know, I have to wonder if all this would have happened if these cats were NOT purebreds?!!!!" The shelter worker immediately replied "NO, it wouldn't have! You wouldn't believe how many rescues have called wanting these cats" :mad: I then said, that I had come there to pull 2 cats and that is what I was going to do. I wanted to pull the 2 oldest cats there. A volunteer was kind enough to go through all of the records of the available cats there and find me the two oldest ones. Coincidentally they are both siamese / snowshoe mixes. You wouldn't believe how many of those "types" of cats were there!!! :( :confused:

Anyway, 4 hours later .... all the paperwork and calling my vet and just plain waiting, and waiting, and waiting .... my 2 new elderly boys are home.

I guess all in all, it was a successful day. The 2 Sphinx kitties will get homes (hopefully with someone doesn't just want them for "show") and the two most elderly boys came home with me. God definitely had His hand in this day! ;)

EDIT: I never even got near enough to them to touch them. That woman made sure to snatch them up pronto! :rolleyes:

EDIT #2: About "Agape" rescue. They used to be a cat and dog rescue. Last year they had to euthanize ALL of their cats because they had a distemper outbreak. Likely because they used poor housing / separation/ medication. Now they advertise that they "only" do DOG rescue. So, WHY did they fight to get these 2 cats???? :mad:

momcat
09-29-2006, 05:12 PM
About "Agape" rescue. They used to be a cat and dog rescue. Last year they had to euthanize ALL of their cats because they had a distemper outbreak. Likely because they used poor housing / separation/ medication. Now they advertise that they "only" do DOG rescue. So, WHY did they fight to get these 2 cats???? :mad:
Good question, kimlovescats. This sounds like one royal mixup and total breakdown in communication. It also seems like you never got any resonable answer to what exactly was going on. From your description, this rescue doesn't sound too swift. Because of your concern and effort, 2 senior "gentleman" kitties are out and will hopefully find loving furever homes. As for the 2 Sphinxes, I pray that they are in good hands and will be treated with the love and kindness they so richly deserve. Please let us know if you hear anything more about them? Bless you for your efforts, you did the right thing!

kimlovescats
09-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Good question, kimlovescats. This sounds like one royal mixup and total breakdown in communication. It also seems like you never got any resonable answer to what exactly was going on. From your description, this rescue doesn't sound too swift. Because of your concern and effort, 2 senior "gentleman" kitties are out and will hopefully find loving furever homes. As for the 2 Sphinxes, I pray that they are in good hands and will be treated with the love and kindness they so richly deserve. Please let us know if you hear anything more about them? Bless you for your efforts, you did the right thing!

Thank you momcat! I do need to correct one thing. Agape does still say that they take in cats, but they do tend to pull more dogs. I don't know, I just think the whole thing was "fishy"! Then to have the Animal Control Officer admit that this situation doesn't happen over non-purebred animals, really hit the nail on the head for me! :(

catmandu
09-29-2006, 06:34 PM
The Lord Must Have Known Those Older Gentlemen Would Need A Good Home, So He Set Things Up So Those Snowshoe Mixes Would Go To Someone Who Would Truly Love Them.
We Can Hardly Wait For Photos.

kimlovescats
09-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Although I didn't even get to touch them, I did get to see them. But here is the picture they had sent me by e-mail. They look like they are so very loving! I pray they go to a deserving home!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/MiscPics/Spinxkitties.jpg

moosmom
09-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh Kim, I'm sorry you had to go through this. However, things DO happen for a reason. I'm commend you for pulling the two oldest cats at the shelter. My first thought about Agape was that someone at the shelter tipped them off about such a rare rescue. Sphynxes aren't usually found in shelters. If they are, they're scooped up in a nano-second. My feeling is that either the @#$%* breeder decided to just get rid of them since their studding days are over, or an inexperienced person bought them (why a breeder would let "WHOLE" males go is beyond me, they usually don't) and didn't do their research on their care.

I think that's wonderful that you pulled two other deserving cats outta there. At least they are safe and out of that hell hole.

Hats off to you, girl. I'm glad you turned around and confronted those people. I'd also file a complaint or write a letter detailing exactly what happened and how pissed off you were. You certainly had every right to be.

They are handsome boys!! I also hope they get wonderful homes. Kudos to you Kim!! Ya done good! ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm so glad you rescued two cats today! That's wonderful!