PDA

View Full Version : I'm bringing Jimmy camping in a tent this weekend!

My Peanuts
09-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to bring him. I've never done anything like this before. I figured he was the best pup to bring since he lived outside on his own for 3 years of his life. Also the campsite is 2 hours away and I know Jimmy can handle that because he did well on his almost 9 hour trip back from Tennessee. Also, (shhhh, don’t tell the others) Jimmy is the most well behaved of the 4.

Everyone keeps saying he will be cold. LOL, he used to live outside! Plus he will be with me and I’m not going to let him be cold. I think he will have fun.

Any advice for those of you that travel with your dogs a lot? Like I said it's not for sure that he's going, but I'm pretty sure. I'm really excited about including him! :)

caseysmom
09-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Go for it! I love to camp and take the dogs quite a bit, I never camp without them. I didn't get to camp this year and am so bummed about it.

If it gets too cold the dogs get in my sleeping bag with me, I zip 2 together.

I bring their beds and sometimes cover them with a blanket. What are the night time lows?

dab_20
09-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm sure both you and him will have an awsome time!!

I took Molli camping a few weeks ago... it was about an hour and a half away up in the mountains. She had so much fun and I found out she loves to wade into the river. Make sure to keep Jimmy leashed with you at all times if he's not to be trusted. I took two leashes and hooked them together (put it on my belt loop) so Molli could have some freedom. At night Molli was pretty cold (and I was FREEZING!) so I let her sleep in my sleeping bag with me. Just make sure wherever he sleeps he's got a nice warm blanket to cuddle with. And, depending on the temperatures, you could even bring a little sweater just in case. ;) Molli has never been outdoors, except for pottying and exercise, but I think she really enjoyed herself.

Hope you have fun!! :)

My Peanuts
09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I bring their beds and sometimes cover them with a blanket. What are the night time lows?

The low is 43 and the high is 63. I think we will be fine. Jimmy will be with me and my boyfriend in the tent, on the inflatable mattress, under the covers :).

Oh, and I already planned to bring Jim a few sweaters, just in case :p

caseysmom
09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
You will be fine, 43 is not bad at all. Keep in mind sleeping bags rated for 10 degrees will be your best bet, blankets may get damp.

My Peanuts
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! :D

I've only been camping one other time and that was this past July and it was 100 degrees literally. WOW, that was bad!

Dorothy39
09-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh Boy, Camping with Jimmy!!!!

I think you are really going to enjoy this trip!!!

I promise I won't tell the other dogs ;)

Jimmy will have so much fun!!!! So glad that you are taking him along!!! ;)

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Lucky you, Jimmy! You getta go camping! :)

Have fun you two! Take lots of pictures for us!!

pitc9
09-29-2006, 07:35 AM
My hubby and I took Sierra camping with us before we adopted Buddy. We went tent camping in the end of October!! Brrrrr!!
It snowed on us!! It was funny!
Sierra didn't get cold at all!!
(I know... there's a big difference between those two) ;)
She didn't care for being inside the tent at all!!
I went to bed first and my hubby and others were still out by the fire. She didn't like the fact that she could see the fire and hear voices. She started scratching at the tent! :eek: Oops!! So I put her on a leash and kept her by my side. She didn't know what to make of the air mattress either! :D
I'm sure he'll love it!
You'll all have fun!!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-29-2006, 08:03 AM
That will be so much fun. Take your camera, we want pictures.

Justin went camping last year with some friends. 2 or 3 of them took dogs with them, but I didn't let Justin take any of our dogs with them. I'm not sure if they're going to go again this year, they probably will. I'll let him take one of the dogs this year, probably either Jake or Nacey.

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-29-2006, 08:08 AM
OH BOY!! That sounds like soo much fun! I bet Jimmy is gonna have a blast! All those outside smells to smell in his sleep! I bet he'll have lots of fun dreams!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Sounds like fun!!

We love to go camping! It's fun for the dogs, they love to be outside and be involved! I'm sure you will have a great time. :)

cyber-sibes
09-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh, you guys will all have fun! Be sure to pack a little first-aid kit in case you need it for Jimmy or yourself. Include swabs, antiseptic wash, bandaids or gauze & tape and some antibacterial ointment. Pack a compression bandage too. Maybe a couple asprin. I bring booties for mine when we go on trips in case of paw injuries too.
It wasn't camping, but my son and his friend used to sleep outside on our deck in sleeping bags. Star would snuggle in between them to sleep!

My Peanuts
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Jimmy is the most well behaved dog ever! :p He was such a good boy. I got a few pictures of him. I'm not sure if they are any good, but I will post them later tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow though :)

caseysmom
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh good....did you have fun?

My Peanuts
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh good....did you have fun?

We had lots of fun, I'm so glad I brought him.