PDA

View Full Version : How often do you let your dogs out?

Pembroke_Corgi
09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I was curious as to how often you let your dogs out. When I'm home, they go out about every 3 hours to potty and play for about 20 minutes. If it's nice out, sometimes I sit outside with them for an hour or so and play with them.

Jadapit
09-28-2006, 01:08 PM
My dogs go in and out all day long. They are worse than little kids. I spend half the day opening the door for them. ;)

Sevaede
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
My dogs go in and out all day long. They are worse than little kids. I spend half the day opening the door for them. ;)

Haha! :D Sounds like my parents household. My mom is up all day just opening the door for her three (Rottie/GSD, Yorkie, and Doxie/Bassett). Sometimes, they come in and want right back out!

pitc9
09-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Me too!
Buddy still wakes me up at night to go out.
(yes... I know... I know... he has trained me well :rolleyes: )
I wish I could put in a doggie door, but I have stupid neighbors and I have to keep an eye on my dogs all the time to make sure they are not being attacked. :mad:

binka_nugget
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Kai rings his potty bell when he has to go.. Kaedyn hasn't caught on yet so he just goes out whenever Kai does. He *usually* rings it every 2-3 hours.. but sometimes he'll ring it 10 minutes after he comes back in if he feels like staying outside. :p

MajesticCollies
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Yup, Whensver they want. You know how it is, multiple dogs, different potty times, or hear a noise and just have to go out and check it out. With fall here its coat building time now for the collies. Although my Smooth coat Collie Brutus would perfer never to go out sometimes. He's the big baby who likes the comfort of the house. lol

Uabassoon
09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Payson doesn't go out very often, the main reason is that we don't have a yard to take him out. The other reason is that he hates going outside so we only go out around 4 times a day. However we just sent in a form so that we can build a gate on our patio so hopefully it gets approved so that Payson can have a little yard to hang out on. Plus the weather is finally getting tolerable outside so I think he might enjoy having the patio.

cyber-sibes
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Kai rings his potty bell when he has to go..:pOh how cute! I think this calls for a picture of Kai in action!

Mine are basically outdoor dogs, but come in during the day while I'm working. They let me know they need out by walking around in circles & staring at me. Often I just leave the main door open to the screen door. Sherman opens it with his paw, and Star jumps through a hole she made in the screen. Dad's supposed to put in a real doggie-door soon. (before the snow flies, I hope!)

luvofallhorses
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
they go out whenever they want of course I am alwys out there with them :) or my parents are. :)

binka_nugget
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh how cute! I think this calls for a picture of Kai in action!
LOL Will do! I need to get some pictures of Kuri today anyways.. I'll try to remember to get one of Kai ringing the bell. :)

.sarah
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
My dogs and I are in and out all day long. Buck would rather stay outside all day but he doesn't want to be alone. He's made me become a more active person which I am really grateful for! But if I feel like spending a day inside, the dogs are in and out probably 3 or 4 times every hour ... no kidding. Unless if we are up in my room, in which case they won't ask to go out unless if they have to potty.

sanford8916
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
My dogs go out at 7am until noon in the fenced in area, unless it's raining. then they go back out around 3:00pm until 6:00pm then they stay in and I let then out when they ask. My dogs have a potty bell too! My dogs love to be outside but we will see how it works this winter. Before we got Lou Lou, Winchester would just go out when he wanted to go out! I am home all day with them so if they are barking alot, I let them back in.

GreyhoundGirl
09-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Once first thing when we get up. Once during a walk. Once before I go to school. Once when I get back from school. Again during a walk. After her dinner. Twice befor bed.

Pretty much when ever she wants. :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
09-28-2006, 03:02 PM
The following is our average potty schedule. Keep in mind it does not include when we go out to play, for a walk or hike or any other type of outing.

On an average workday, I let them out at about 6:00am, Joe lets them out when he gets home at about 3:00. Then they go out again around 6:00 and again before bed whch is anytime between 8-10pm.
I usually have at least one dog with me at work & he/she/they usually goes out at least twice during the day.

An average weekend: They go out when we wake up, anywhere between 6-8am. The rest of the day it varies depending on what we have to do. But on average they go out every 3-4 hours.

Edited to add that I obviously let them out more often if they ask or if they happen to be ill or the like.

beeniesmom
09-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Whenever they want. Usualy Frankie alerts me by pawing at the door and Beenies alert is jumping in your lap and pushing on your neck with her front paws (I know wierd).

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
My dogs are out every 1-2 hours to use the washroom, about every 2 hours to go out and play or go for a walk.

sammy101
09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Whenever they ask to go outside. :)

critter crazy
09-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Well since i am home all day long, Duke goes in and out all day long. Feels like every ten minutes!! he he he he!! It makes him happy tho, so it is all good!

dab_20
09-28-2006, 04:44 PM
When Sam was here, I let them out every hour and a half because he didn't like to hold it long, and woulden't let me know when he had to go. With Molli I let her out every three hours or so.

Logan
09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I have one (Honey) that prefers to stay outside all the time during the day. In fact, she is pouting right now because there are guests next door on their back porch and I'm making her stay inside so she won't bark. :p Lilly would never go outside if it were up to her unless it was to go on a walk or a ride in the car! Mack loves to be outside, but I worry about him getting too hot and slipping under the fence, so usually he stays inside with Lilly and they go out at lunchtime. I think the longest between outside visits is usually around 4 hours. They do not have to go outside after around 9:30 or 10 at night.

Logan

Chilli
09-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Whenever they want.
Ethan goes to the front door and sniffs, then looks at us to tell us he needs to go. And if you weren't watching, he gets his face infront of yours and stares at you until you get the hint.
Usually when he does this, the other dogs get taken out aswell.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Usually when ever they want to go out which is probably about every 3 hours or so, maybe a bit less.