PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice about catching strays

adamjai
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Hello everyone! It seems I only post when it involves a stray kitty situation! About three months ago a momma cat and two kittens showed up at my back door. At first they ran from us even if they saw us in the window, now the two kittens will let us get within three to four feet, but no closer. The momma won't let us get closer than 10 feet. I'm unsure about how I should go about catching them. I'm afraid that if I trap them I'll get one or two and the other will wise up and I'll never catch it. I'm also afraid that one cat will enter the trap and if the next one is close behind (the two kittens rarely leave each other's side) then the door will come down on the second, which at best will scare them both and allow them to escape, and at worst may hurt the second kitten. What would you all recommend?

Freedom
09-28-2006, 08:37 AM
As long as the weather is nice, you have time to continue making "friends" with them via feeding. Put the food out, then sit a short distance away. Get them used to your presence. Maybe you have a small enclosed porch that you can lure them into, rather than a trap? the trap seems to scare strays. I have taken in 5 foundlings in all; but never had to use a trap so I can't really help on that part of it. With the healthier ones, I just kept making friends with no attempts at capturing. When I felt they were letting me get close enough, I went out with an old sweatshirt (to protect me from scratches) and caught them first try. With the sickly ones, it is just so easy to pick them up. But also, each time I have done this, it has been ONE cat. I am sure other PTers will have more helpf ro you. Good luck.