PDA

View Full Version : Blasted Cold, I can't stop coughing!

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 01:47 AM
So I had a head cold about a week ago, for a few days. It started getting better, but now I have a horrible cough. During the day I'm fine, but in the mornings til lunch and after dinner I have a whole bunch of coughing fits.

I swear, I'm going to cough my lungs up soon! My throat is starting to feel raw and I feel like puking now that I'm coughing so much.

I'm one who usually doesn't like to take medicine. I like to get my immune system to fight off infections and viruses on it's on.

Anyone have any home remedies to help these coughing fits?

G535
09-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Patience is probably the only thing that works, these things go away eventually unless you have some type of infection. Stay away from others so you don't pass it on!

Hope you get well soon. :)

Vette
09-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Awww http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/VettesPetz/Smiles/hug.gif
thats what happend with my friend Laura and she started to cough up blood. :eek:
they gave her some pills to take and shes better now though thank goodness

http://www.takingitglobal.org/images/ecards/214.jpg
card from http://www.takingitglobal.org/connections/ecards/?action=send&design=214

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 07:49 AM
LOL!!! Thanks Vette. :p :D

chrissycat21
09-28-2006, 08:26 AM
I had a cough like that a couple weeks ago and the only thing that really helped was a cough syrup, but a warm tea of some kind did soothe my throat for a little while. Hope you feel better soon!

Dorothy39
09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Yes, I agree, cough syrup and Lemon -Honey in a nice hot cup of tea.

However, I'm with you on Cold Medicine , likewise, some of those cough syrups!!!! The cure can be worse than the cough itself!!!

Try using Vick Creme, and a vaporizer at night!!

Hope you are feeling much better soon!!!! Look on the bright side, you are getting a lower abdomin workout!!! ;)

Blue_Frog
09-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Can you catch a cold through a forum? *lol* it sounds like the same thing i had last week.

I ended up dealing mostly with chicken soup, lots of tea, Nyquill and Dayquill liquidgels from the drug store, and by now I probabally own stocks in the Ricolla and Halls cough drop companies. I highly recommend the Halls Center (red ones), and the Ricola Lemon/Honey lozenges :)

Queen of Poop
09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
I started last week with the sore throat, cough, then got sniffles and sneezes, now I'm back to the sore throat!! Best thing I've found so far is a hot cup of tea with a good teaspoon full of honey. Trick is to drink it as hot as you can stand it. Also, Halls has a great selection of cough drops these days. Current favorite is grapefurit flavored with vitamin C and sugar free. I hope you feel better soon.

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not one for tea, but I sure like honey! I guess I'll have a cup o' tea when I get home. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I feel your pain- I've been sick too!! I'd recommend Ricola cough drops while you are in class, they can help relieve some of the irritation in your throat. I know you don't like to take medicine, but they are all natural and sugar-free. Also, hot tea seems sooth my throat, I'm drinking chamomile right now. :)

Husky15
09-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I've had a cold now for a week, but luckily it's not bad. Sometimes I don't even notice it, but sometimes it is a little annoying. But I'm thankful it's not as bad as my last one.

One time my dad was coughing really bad too and he popped a blood vessel in his eye, but I don't think he noticed it because my mom was the one who pointed it out.

I suggest cough medicine, but if you prefer not to take medicine [I usually like to let my body do it itself too] then I'd say the best thing to do is give it time. It'll eventually pass on.

Corinna
09-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I take echannecha(sp?) tea or the liquid to get rid of colds and flu's.

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
I just had my first cup of tea in my life! lol It really helped my throat, but I still have that wicked cough. At least my throat doesn't hurt anymore, though!

Catty1
09-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Any cough syrup with DM, a cough suppressant. If you are on any meds, ask the pharmacist first.

If you don't want to use a DM syrup, there are lozenges too.

However - you won't have to use much of the DM syrup...just make sure you don't eat or drink right after taking a teaspoonful, or it'll wash away.

I understand your wanting natural remedies...but sometimes, you have to bring in the big guns, for a short time.

After all - earthquakes and hurricanes are "natural", too! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
I hope you feel better soon, Jess! Being sick definitely isn't any fun at all..

dab_20
09-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Warm honey water... I think you put something else in it, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone here knows.
It's completely disgusting, but it works! Hope you get better soon.