PDA

View Full Version : Every Girl's Dream...update

K9karen
09-27-2006, 11:33 PM
to lose 5 pounds! Yep! Took Mz Logan to the vet today for a pre-dental work check up and she's lost 5 pounds since January! At first the tech thought she was ill, but all I did was follow Dr Jane's earlier instructions and reduce 1/2 cup of wet food with her 2 c of dry, limited the extra virgin olive oil (makes for a shiny smooth coat). I switched from her favorite Rrr-Rrrs (Rice Krispies midnight snack) to Special K and smaller dog treats! She looks awesome! Such a svelt figure, healthy, happy, less scared. Dr Jane was amazed and so pleased! John and I were like 2 proud parents! Although she listens to me more than him, it was so obvious he's smitten with her and gave her kisses for the first time!

The raw hide bone and special treats, toothbrush routine aren't cleaning her choppers well enough. The front is pure white but sides and molars are starting to discolor although her breath is still yummy. I hate to spend money I don't have, but her health is first. No sick puppies on my watch.

has anyone had problems with their pups getting dental cleaning? I'm always scared of the anesesia (sp) Will she be OK afterwards? She's getting a lovely manicure while she's under. John decided we won't be bringing her in between 735-845a and have her cooped up in a cage until they take her. We're going to keep her with us until they're ready. Geesh..I think I'm now running a close 2nd :D :D

Sorry to go on. I'm just so proud of her accomplishments. Now if she would only sit still for a picture I'd post more. Ears back, tail between legs and all I can achieve are heine shots! :rolleyes:

Please assure me not to worry about her. Will she be in discomfort afterwards??? Thanks guys....

shais_mom
09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
yeeaaa
for your K-Lo!
goodluck with her dental! :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Congratulations, Logan! I know how hard it can be to get a dog to lose weight, you must be thrilled :).

As far as her teeth go..
Tia has had to go in for a good dental cleaning once, and was jsut fine afterwards. Her gums were a bit sore, but besides that, she was her regular spunky self after all of the anesthesia wore off.

Also, have you ever considered giving Logan a raw bone to clean her teeth once or twice a week? I don't think anything cleans better than a raw bone. Rawhide really doesn't seem to work, nor do any of those other products that are said to clean teeth. If she really has a lot of plaque build up, you could try using a dental pick thing to get it off. I've had to do that for my dogs before, but now that I give them raw bones I haven't had to to anything else.

Good luck!

kimlovescats
09-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Logan is doing so well, and she is a happy girl! Don't worry about her dental! Most vets do a pre-anesthesia blood work-up just to be sure! Ask your vet to see if they do that, and request it if they don't! Try not to worry, Mom! ;)

BC_MoM
09-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Way to go Logan!! :D I think this calls for some new pictures.

Ginger's Mom
09-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Good work Karen and Logan. I, too, can sympathize about trying to get a dog to lose weight, it is not an easy thing to do. Five pounds is great! I have never had a dog undergo a dental cleaning by the vet, but I do know someone who had his dog's teeth done by the vet every year, and he never mentioned any negative effects at all.

RobiLee
09-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Congrats, Mz Logan on your wonderful weight loss!

Karen, I'm sure the dental procedure will go smoothly and your little girl will be just fine and have some pearly whites afterwards;).

Hugs to you both!

Dorothy39
09-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Congratulations k9karen. I'll bet your Logan is a vision of lovliness!!! I can't imagine Logan looking any better than in your signiture!!! :eek: I always enjoy seeing that dog!!!

and~~~~

Yes, It can be very discouraging when a Vet recommends weight loss!!!

I worked with my daughters senior German Sheperd Dog all summer long, and I have to admit, Pet Talk helped me out more than the Vet did!!!! :D

I can't wait to see a picture !!!!!!

pitc9
09-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Congrats to her on the weight loss and congrats to you for helping her!
With my 2 I have just the opposite problem!! It's hard for me to keep weight ON Bud and Sierra!! :eek:
(wish I had that problem!!)
I've never had my dogs teeth cleaned, but I will need to soon. :(
I'm sure she'll be the same after as she was when she got the anesesia when she was spayed. Hugs to you!!!
For her manicure, I think they should polish her nails in a Burnt Orange, it will bring out the tones in her coat and she'll be all ready for Fall!! ;) :p

cyber-sibes
09-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Ah, Mz Logan, you are an inspiration! My fluffy boy isn't quite "all fluff" like he used to be - he could stand to loose a few pounds, too! Do you think your mom would publish that secret-to-weight-loss recipe "Rrr-Rrrs" midnight snacks?

I've never had my dogs teeth cleaned either. Let us know how it goes. Star will have to go in for an extraction of a broken molar (now covered in tarter) soon. I'm concerned about the anesthesia for her because of her age. (9)

Good luck Mz. Logan. Be sure to post pictures of her new figure and flashing a sparkling white smile!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow, great job on losing 5 pounds Logan! :D

I'm sure she'll be ok for her dental appointment. Her teeth will feel so clean!

K9karen
10-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Not only does Mz Klo have a killer bod..but beautiful, white choppers to match!
John and I got to the vet early and refused to leave her alone in a cage, so they let us stay in a room with her until the sedation shot took affect. Like 2 doting parents, we returned 2 hours later before being called and sat in the waiting room for her to be discharged. She was wobbly and disorientated and John had to pick her up and place her in the back of my car, and I squeezed in and she laid on my arm and went to sleep. He carried her into the house and she was so out of it, that when I took her out back for an outie, there were 2 squirrels on the lawn and she never budged! She yelped from pain when she barked, and I realized she had a sore throat, and she didn't want food at all. But today (Thurs) she's back to her own goofy self, happy as can be, smiling away, showing off her glowing teethies. The tech said they weren't bad at all, but good that I had them cleaned. She was velcro all day (which I love). She's asleep at my feet.

Sorry to make a big deal out of a teeth cleaning, when so many others are ill etc, but anesthsia scares me. Tried taking a photo but she saw the camera and gave me her butt!! I'll try again. She can't wait for all her "boyfriends" on PT to see her!

Rachel
10-07-2006, 06:06 AM
Hey, Ms Logan, how about a :D for the camera. I know it's been a ruff week for you going to the dentist and all. But forget that and go chase some squirrels. Did you dentist tell you to lay off those sugary treats like mine does? :(

chocolatepuppy
10-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss Logan! And I'll bet your teeth look great! :D

wolf_Q
10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm glad that her dental cleaning went well (and way to go on the weight loss)! I can't wait to see new pics of her! :D