PDA

View Full Version : That's all I can stands.. I can't stands no more!!!

momcat
09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
First it was the post "Do not adopt to this man". Then on this morning's news there was a story about a no kill shelter in southern New Jersey being forced to close because of no space and no funds. Not long after that was a story about three teenage boys who tortured and brutalized a kitten. The details are too horrific to post, all three have been arrested and are charged with animal cruelty and conspiracy but we'll see how far that goes since they're juveniles.
As Popeye used to say, "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!" Well, PT friends, there's something I think I can do and here's my pledge to all of you. I'm a paralegal with access to an excellent legal research website. My intent is to start researching animal welfare laws and administrative code here in New Jersey to see what sanctions are permitted for cruelty. Once I have my facts solidly documented, letters will be sent starting with our Governor citing chapter and verse stating why it's time to toughen up with stricter laws and punishment that means something. It's past the time for help to be given to shelters so they can keep their doors open and help ALL the animals in need.
I know this is going to be quite an undertaking, the research alone will take some time. But I believe this is something that must be done and doing it on my lunch hour is a positive investment of time. My job is researching laws and making recommendations for changes so I know I can do this. The legal research site gives me access to laws and codes for all 50 states and Canada. My wish is that, in time, this can be done everywhere.
All I'm asking of all of you is your moral support.....
FOR THE ANIMALS

jenluckenbach
09-27-2006, 07:42 PM
AMEN sister!

Karen
09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Absolutely, we are behind you 100%!

Catty1
09-27-2006, 08:03 PM
YAH!

I can send things on to Canadian contacts!
Let me know!

Lizzie
09-27-2006, 08:05 PM
What a wonderfully positive response - well done!

momcat
09-27-2006, 08:13 PM
YAH!

I can send things on to Canadian contacts!
Let me know!
Thanks, Catty1! Even though I'm just starting this project, there will come a time when we'll need all the voices we can get. I'll be happy to work with your Canadian contacts. My intent is to pull the statutes & codes, see how they read, then cite actual incidents to plead our case for stricter laws and harsher punishment, and help for shelters. I just can't stand any more of this, it has to stop.

Prairie Purrs
09-27-2006, 08:16 PM
If you'd like some help, I work for a legal research database company. :)

Catlady711
09-27-2006, 08:32 PM
I think it's great you're doing this! Paws up to you! :D

Sevaede
09-27-2006, 08:44 PM
I am behind you totally! :D You go, girl!

kimlovescats
09-27-2006, 08:54 PM
What a wonderful gift you are giving on behalf of pets everywhere! GOD BLESS YOU! You have my full support!

HUGS,
Kim :D

BC_MoM
09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
We'll all be right behind you on this!! :)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
09-28-2006, 05:43 AM
What a fabulous idea!! Lets all hope you can be the beginning of a positive change. :)

CultureJunky
09-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Excellent, that is such a great idea. I am 100% behind you and am definately interested in seeing how you get on with this and what progress you make.
Animal laws are okay I guess in the UK, the RSPCA have just had a bill passed in parliamant, so they can now intervene before and animal suffers if they are not being cared for sufficiantly. There are still some terrible things that happen of course, cause there are some damned evil people around.
Is there a similar law in America, though I know that you have different laws from state to state don't you?

Pam
09-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Bless you for your passion and concern! As the song goes......It only takes a spark, to get a fire going. I hope your *spark* will ignite things for the good of animals everywhere. You are using your lunch hour in such a positive way. Good for you!

catnapper
09-28-2006, 07:43 AM
You go girl!!!! :)

moosmom
09-28-2006, 08:00 AM
it's time to toughen up with stricter laws and punishment that means something. It's past the time for help to be given to shelters so they can keep their doors open and help ALL the animals in need.

You go, girl!! I'm with you all the way!!! I don't mean to put a crimp in your knickers but, animal groups have been trying to YEARS to try and toughen the laws on animal cruelty and fight for stricter punishment to those who break the law. Unfortunately, the politicians are $$$$ motivated. It makes me sick. :mad: If it doesn't mean money in their pockets, or a raise, they couldn't care less. That's why I hate politicians. They're greedy bastards who only think of themselves.

Animals can't talk so we have to be their voices. Here is what I think needs to be done:

1. MANDATORY laws requiring EVERY animal be spayed/neutered. PERIOD. No exceptions, no vouchers (because they obviously don't seem to work, at least not well)

2. MANDATORY FELONY convictions for every single cruelty case. NO EXCEPTIONS!!

3. MANDATORY licensing for every breeder.

If you need any help, let me know (from one paralegal to another). I'd LOVE to get these laws changed. But I have a feeling that it won't happen anytime soon (at least not in MY lifetime). But it definitely needs to be done.

Freedom
09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Great idea! I just happened to be on the ASPCA web site yesterday; they offer a brochure with the laws of many of the states. I doubt it will have the legal references and all, but it may be of interest to you in this endeavor. Here is the link:

https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Ecommerce/2094302296?store_id=4681&product_id=1921&VIEW_PRODUCT=true&JServSessionIdr006=iot6duig91.app23b

You will probably have to copy and paste this link.

mumpkees
09-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Momcat:
I know exactly how you feel and I applaud you for your undertaking. It is interesting that just last night I was contacted by a rescue list buddy of mine begging for help on which way to turn to see what she could do for a friend of hers in Oklahoma who had her two Husky dogs shot and killed at point blank range while they were LOCKED in a cage because allegedly they were attacking a man so he shot them.

Her friend is devastated that her two gentle dogs were shot and because it is a small country town no one is the least interested in seeing this man gets what he deserves. My e-bud has photos, witnesses and one of the bullets but can't find anyone to help her. Could you possibly PM me and give me some direction that she might pursue?

My friend sent a photo of her friend with her arms around her two beautiful friends and it just broke my heart to know the life had been needlessly taken out of their eyes and that my friend's friend had lost her treasured companions.

We have made great strides (no where nearly enough yet) in helping so many cats and dogs find homes because of the internet bringing us all together. The internet has also made public these abuses and atrocities so that small towns (and even large cities) can no longer sweep these things under the rug with a slap on the wrist. Now we need to use the internet to band together and let our elected officials and judges know that their jobs may not be so secure even though they are having their pockets lined because those of us who care about companion animals aren't going to put up with this any more.

Bless you for stepping up. You have my support.
/mari

Beauty17
09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I do give support. I think that each person can find a way (or ways) to do his/her own special good in the world - and you are clearly called to this particular task. Please give yourself credit for taking it on - regardless of the pitfalls and doldrums you may encounter.

Corinna
09-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Hugs and Praayers to you for this under taking . We here in Montana cheering you on.

catmandu
09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
The sad thing is that many people who abuse animals have been abused themselves.
And most politicians are loooking for graft, and truly dont care about the poor and the animals who dont vote.
We wish you all the sucess in the world.
If it helps one Animal, it will be worth it.

GreyhoundGirl
09-28-2006, 06:32 PM
High 5 from the dogs !!

High ( :o how ever many toes cats have ) from the cats !!

High what ever other numbers of animal toes there are!

When you're done it, e-mail it on. I'll pass to everone I know. I'm behind you 100 %. However, I must add that I don't think we should have " manditory spaying and neutering " We would never get those wonderfull mutts again. In MY personal opinion, spaying and neutering should be free to ALL dogs.

As for cats.... Because there are WAY tooo many cats, I suggest 5$ TO every person who gets a cat spayed. ( 10 $ for 2 cats, 15 $ for 3 cats ECT. ) Sounds like a good idea to me. :D

So anyways, keep us updated and everyong pass it on.

YOU GO GIRL !! :D

momcat
09-28-2006, 07:00 PM
First of all, I cannot thank all of you enough for your encouragement and support. As I put this project together there's no question that the reaction from some will be, "Oh no, another one of those animal freaks!". I can only say "so what"! I don't know that this will result in a positive change or those in a position to do something won't put it in the circular file. Regardless, in my heart I'll know I tried. A message I want to send to legislators is we love our pets, we care about the welfare of all animals, and WE VOTE!!!!!
I started the preliminary research today to get a sense of what's out there and plan a research strategy. Can't wait to really get into this.
I will be letting you know how this progresses.

Catty1
09-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Two ideas I have had:

Make spaying and neutering a tax-deductible expense.

Also - I tried this in Ontario once - how about the vets having gift certificates for spay/neuter only? (as in, it's not money you can use for cat food or etc).
This would make great gift ideas!

In ON, I was told that the head Vet organization - whatever it was - didn't approve of such things, because it would create competition. :confused: :eek:

This was 20 years ago...perhaps times have changed.

I know we have a couple of lawyers on Pet Talk, and legal assistants who make a good number of legal eagles all together, and the more practical suggestions we can make, the better.

G535
09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
You definitely have my moral support, anything to try and help those poor animals has to be good.

momcat
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi PT friends! Well, the project is officially under way. There are several New Jersey statues in my back pack ready to be reviewed. These are related to pet shops and shelters. Just a cursory glance when I pulled them shows this section gets into licensing requirements for these facilities: sanitation, building code requirements, licensing fees for pet shops - shelters are exempt from this fee, facility inspections, license revocations. There are even statutory sanctions for pet shops that sell sick animals! The State agencies involved so far are the Department of Health & Senior Services, the Department of Community Affairs, and the Department of Agriculture though others may show up as this develops. That's just a very general overview, can't wait to get into the specifics.

In this section one of the things I'll be looking for is what the law says about dog and cat overpopulation. The plan is to tie it in with shelters both public and private. The point needs to be made that ALL shelters provide a valuable service to the community by limiting the number of strays and ferals out fending for themselves. People everywhere complain about cats and dogs running loose in their neighborhoods but all they do is gripe about it while some resort to intentional abuse. If shelters and rescues get the help they deserve this problem could decerase especially with TNR initiatives.

There's still much more research to be done before all of this can be put together. The highlighters and pens are ready.....

Catty1
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if you found that there are some good laws that are just NOT ENFORCED.

If even one government at any level changes, it is more likely that it will catch the attention of others.

Your point about animals running loose and being a nuisance to people is interesting - sometimes the only way these concerns get heard is if it is pointed out that they hurt PEOPLE. *sigh* For the good of the tax-paying citizen, not the animals.

Seems like you want to make this as practical-sounding as possible.

Way to go! You are DOING something!

HUGS to you!

KitCat
10-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Good for you! Help all the pets through laws--that's AWESOME!

momcat
10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Seems like you want to make this as practical-sounding as possible.
Thanks, Catty1! This is being based on current New Jersey Statutes, Administrative Law, and NJ Court Rules. Once I have all that I'll pull case law on animal issues to see how our courts are handling it. My approach is to use documented statutory and judiciary facts to drive the point a bit harder. I don't know what others have done in the past, bless them for their efforts. I'm looking to hit them with a reality check.