PDA

View Full Version : A foster home in need.

jenluckenbach
09-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I received an email from a rescue group in NJ who has a foster home being threatened to be shut down. The person is over the number of cats in the home that local ordinances allow (they allow 3 :rolleyes: ) So even though they are temporary residents, they will be put out if WE can't convince them otherwise.

Hey there, friends & fellow animal lovers,

I am desperately writing in the hopes of some support and assistance. Over the weekend, FFRV sent out the press release I copied in below this email. So far we have only had a handful of responses and letters. This matter is dire to both our rescue and others like it that this could also happen to - temporary, fostered animals being threatened by having their foster home shut down for no other reason than there are more than 3 and that breaks the town's pet limit ordinance. Note there have been no health complaints or violations, no noise or public threat complaints over these cats ... there's simply more than 3.

We need HUNDREDS of polite letters of support!! Please note that it is crucial for you to send a copy of your letters of support to us at: [email protected] as some statistics were not shared with the entire council at the last meeting and we wish to be able to share these if no one else does.

Here are just a few ways in which you can help out:
Read the Chairwoman’s Letter To Mayor – THERE'S LOTS OF INFO HERE FOR PUBLIC TO REVIEW: http://blog.myspace.com/ffrv
Sign Our Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/fosters1/petition.html
*PLEASE DO NOT SIGN A PETITION AS "ANONYMOUS"! A petition is a legal document and no law recognizes an "anonymous" signature! Thank you very much for keeping this in mind!*

Polite Letters Of Support Can Be Sent To:
Borough of Brooklawn
Mayor John Soubasis
301 Christiana Street
Brooklawn, New Jersey 08030
Tel # (856) 456-0750
Fax # (856) 456-1874
[email protected]

* It is BEYOND crucial that a copy of your letter also goes to:
FFRV, PO Box 141, Woodbury, NJ 08096 OR [email protected] *
*** Please note that you can copy & paste your emails into this field as well to contact the town directly: http://www.brooklawn.us/FEEDBACK.htm ***

We are hoping that our letter writing campaign will AT LEAST bring about some sort of exception to the town's ordinance for foster homes.

Please CROSS POST THIS and feel free to contact us for more information.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Wesh
"mommacat" AKA Chairwoman to
Furrever Friends Rescue & Volunteers
ffrv.petfinder.org

Press Release:
09/23/06

FURREVER FRIENDS RESCUE & VOLUNTEERS
P.O. BOX 141
Woodbury, NJ 08096
856-845-8554
FFRV.petfinder.org

PRESS RELEASE
Woodbury, NJ (Gloucester County)
856-845-8554
RESCUED CATS IN DANGER:
FOSTER HOME THREATENED TO BE SHUT DOWN

Jennifer Smith’s volunteer foster home of rescued cats is in danger of being shut down by the Borough of Brooklawn. The Town Council contends that the homeowner is in violation of the town’s pet limit ordinance despite that the eight cats in question do not belong to her; they are temporary residents under the foster care program of Furrever Friends Rescue and Volunteers (FFRV). And while several of the council members commended Smith on her voluntary efforts, it was made clear by the majority that animal rescue is not welcome in Brooklawn.

In jeopardy are eight cats, sterilized and vaccinated, rescued from various towns throughout Southern New Jersey. Some are shyer or senior cats that may be difficult to find homes for. Although Smith has been excused from disciplinary action for now, FFRV expects that the Borough will order her to remove the animals from the home and discontinue fostering. With area shelters and FFRV still overwhelmed with kittens from the summer and spring, the fate of these eight cats is uncertain.

Jennifer Smith, Board Member and foster home to NJ Registered Charity Furrever Friends Rescue and Volunteers, was devastated on July 12th when she received a letter from the Borough instructing her to remove the animals from her home that exceeded the limit of 3 pets. A plea to the Borough from the rescue group resulted in a repeat response to remove the 8 foster animals. As a result, 20 representatives from local rescue organizations attended the August 21 council meeting to educate the Borough Council of the benefits of foster homes for stray and unwanted pets. Animal Welfare Association of Voorhees felt the issue was so important that they sent a letter of endorsement to the Council on Smith’s behalf.

It was a devastating blow when the council decided on September 18 to keep the pet limit ordinance as is and reject the addition of an exception for foster homes. More surprising was the unrealistic advice for Smith to apply for a use variance with the Planning and Zoning Board, which involves several hundred dollars in fees and would most likely be denied.

“The Borough is setting a precedent to ignore animals in need – even the ones on their own streets,” said FFRV President Jen Wesh. "Essentially, the Council is turning away free services to help control the obvious pet overpopulation problem in our community as well as banning people from volunteering to be foster homes”.

Mayor John Soubasis, whom proclaimed “I am not an animal person” at the recent September 18 Borough Council meeting, listened to reports from residents and fellow council members that stray animals do continue to walk the streets of Brooklawn despite their pet limit ordinance and leash law. Yet, the council decided to uphold the ineffective laws, and pass Ms. Smith’s plight on to the Planning and Zoning Board for consideration of a use variance for an animal shelter.

It was when Ms. Smith obtained the application that FFRV saw the need to reach out to the public for help. A handwritten note attached with a paper clip reads “shelter not permitted in residential zone” and lists fees totaling a minimum cost of $185. FFRV cannot justify spending donor’s dollars that are meant for the direct care of rescued animals on an application that will mostly likely be denied. Their only choice is to go back to the Council again.

FFRV needs the public’s help: first, to apply to adopt one of Ms. Smith’s now-in-jeopardy foster cats. Second, to send polite letters to the Borough of Brooklawn Council requesting they reconsider. The letters would be presented on October 15 when the Council is approached for the third time.

Smith is prepared to go to court to keep her foster home open, but hopes that will not be necessary. “Apparently someone anonymously reported that the number of animals in my home exceed the pet limit. Officials have not come to see the animals or to inspect my home. They have not received any nuisance complaints. I am dumbfounded that 8 cats may have to die over this, and that strays that may have been saved by my fostering would have no where to go”.

Foster homes are essential to today’s humane animal rescue programs. Local NJ organizations Animal Welfare Association, Camden County Animal Shelter, Almost Home Shelter and the Gloucester County Animal Shelter all have foster home programs. The State of New Jersey also endorsed foster homes in a 2002 report from the Governor appointed Animal Welfare Task Force: “rescuers and foster care givers….(are) providing a public service, using their own time and resources, and should not be penalized by way of a pet limit law, particularly when the law would not prevent the mischief it is intended to prevent."

In addition, Courts in Pennsylvania have found pet limits unconstitutional: Commonwealth v. Creighton, PA. Cmwlth., 639 A.2d 1296 (1994)

Furrever Friends Rescue and Volunteers was featured across the Country last spring when they helped to find homes for 5 kittens that had been found in Woodbury taped closed in a beer box in a dumpster. Since then, they have rescued unwanted pets that had been tossed from moving cars, pulled from abusive homes, and living on the streets. A small organization, the entire operation is dependant on foster homes and donations. Loosing Ms. Smith’s foster home would be a tremendous loss to the organization, as well as to the future animals that Smith could help.

To adopt a homeless pet, please go to FFRV.PETFINDER.ORG or call 856 845 8554.

Please send polite letters of support.
Borough of Brooklawn
Mayor John Soubasis
301 Christiana Street
Brooklawn, New Jersey 08030
Tel # (856) 456-0750
Fax # (856) 456-1874
[email protected]

catfamily
09-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I signed of course!
I cannot believe that only 3 cats were allowed.And they are only fostering.How terrible.
Who can help these poor cats but people like us.WHO?
Crazy mean world sometimes!

momcat
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Jen, Of course I signed the petition. Not sure if this is the shelter that was on the news this morning. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post this evening and one of the topics I plan to work on. Shelters should be helped not arbitrarily shut down. That's all I can stands.....

Reachoutrescue
09-27-2006, 11:58 PM
I signed the petition...I hope the Counsil changes their minds. Please keep us updated.