PDA

View Full Version : I'm having surgery Thursday, please wish me luck

jazzcat
09-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I could use some of those great PT prayers and good thoughts please. I will be having surgery Thursday morning. I'm having a hysterectomy. I won't go into all the details (TMI) but I'm hoping this will help me live a more normal life free of pain. I pray that is the outcome.

I will be staying in the hospital overnight but hopefully will be home by Friday afternoon. I sure will miss my fur gang while I'm gone. Now I just need to teach them to not walk on my stomach for the next month or so.

Karen
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Of course you will be in our prayers! Uh oh, maybe bed rails are in order to keep them from kneading you poor tummy!

moosmom
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Jazzcat,

You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers, honey. I went through one of those 7 years ago and it was not fun.

To keep your cats from jumping on your belly (you'll probably have staples holding your incision together) keep a big, fluffy pillow there at all times. My cats, when I was sleeping on my back, took a running leap off of it (the pillow fell on the floor during the night). Talk about pain!!!

I hope you have someone who can look in on you if you live alone. I had my former sister in law fly in from Michigan to stay with me for 4 days. Thenmy daughter took over. It is a very slow healing process. But well worth it. No more monthly periods, painful cramps, sore boobs, PMS. WOOHOO!!! I ended up giving my leftover feminine products to my best friend (what are friends for, right??).

Hang in there girlfriend. It will only get better! ;)

((((HUGS))))

Daisy and Delilah
09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I had the surgery 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. Keep your chin up!! :)

micki76
09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I had the surgery 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. Keep your chin up!! :)

Yep, mine was 6 years ago and I wouldn't take all that stuff back if they paid me! It sounds like you're doing it the "easy" way, without the huge abdominal incision, so that will make your recovery a lot quicker.

Good luck & remember to get up & walk!

jazzcat
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Thank you.

Donna - I have my husband Richard to help me, thank goodness. I'm having laparoscopic surgery so it shouldn't be a bad as what you went through. From what I've read the total abdominal hyst is pretty rough, I'm sure you'll agree. My doctor says I should be back on my feet in two weeks and back to normal in six weeks. I hope so! I know that pillow trick already. I had a laparoscopy back in Jan. to diagnose my problem. I had to keep a pillow over my belly for a week to keep chunky Rumor from killing me. She's my belly kneader and she is heavy.

G535
09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
My friend's daughter had the lapa.....thingie done and she was out gardening in a week! :)

Catty1
09-26-2006, 10:01 PM
"chunky Rumor" !! :D

Good luck on Thursday. Sounds like it is a MUCH simpler procedure these days.

Try the fluffy pillow with double-sided tape! :)

Take care; it's great that you have some support at home!

Vette
09-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Awww

lots of http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/VettesPetz/Smiles/hug.gif and best of wishes coming your way
so far *knock on wood* the only surgery ive had,, was to remove my wisdom teeth..
and that was scary enough.

BC_MoM
09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Good luck! :) With the bad cramps I get, I wish I could get one NOW! lol But I plan to have kids in my future (if I ever get married) so that's a no-no.

Hopefully your kitties will understand that you need to recover and will take it easy on you for a while. ;)

AbbyMom
09-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Best of luck & prayers sent your way.

My coworker recently had one of those lapa thingies...she looked great when she came back to work!

christa
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Lori...Well girl, you already know that you're on my "list" for thursday ;) You'll do great.

Hang in there sweetie! & try to send us an update asap.

much love & many prayers!!!

catnapper
09-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Good luck Lori!!! I truly hope this helps let you live life pain free.

I'm here if you need to complain about the gas or tummy pain :)

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
We'll be thinking of you Jazzcat~~~ Wishin and hopin and Prayin~~~~ that you will be Pain Free from now on!!!

So glad that you have your husband taking over the helm while you recover!!!

zippy-kat
09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Sending tons of healing purrs your way!

K9karen
09-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Oodles of prayers coming your way for a speedy recovery, and a "new" life with no pain and misery. {HUGS] for only the best!

PJ's Mom
09-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Lori you know we will be thinking of you on Thursday and during your recovery. Good luck! :)

slick
09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
I'll be thinking of your Lori. Remember, be nice to the nurses and they will be nice to you. ;) By that I mean that you will get good service and good drugs when you need them. Prayers on the way.

shais_mom
09-27-2006, 12:48 AM
LUCK!
;)
and hugs sent to you too!

**hopefully an Ohioan won't sneak to TN and steal any of your kitties while your under! ;)**

ChrisH
09-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Good thoughts and prayers on the way Lori. {{hugs}}

Killearn Kitties
09-27-2006, 03:04 AM
The very best of luck on Thursday! I hope all goes well and I'll be thinking of you.

It would be great if you were back out on Friday. That's quick, but keep that pillow handy! :D

RICHARD
09-27-2006, 03:11 AM
Well,

Don't worry.....

There are very few problems with Hysts.....

Prayers needed?
Prayers sent...

--------------

To be very vulgar....

My GF told me that the there was "no more baby-----But, the playpen is still there"

I still never figured THAT one out.... :confused:

chocolatepuppy
09-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Prayers headed your way Lori.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Good luck for Thursday and a speedy recovery

Pam
09-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Lori we will all be prayiing for you tomorrow for a successful surgery and easy recovery. My co-worker had it done two years ago and told us she would not be able to be on the computer for several days afterwards. Well, the *call of the internet is strong* :rolleyes: and she was back on it the day after she came home. :p I hope you feel good just as quickly, although take your time and rest up. We'll be here when you get back.

Oh, Richard, I love the analogy! ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Lori, keeping you in my thoughs and prayers.

I am so glad you are having it done laproscopically - the "old" way was so much more invasive, and with a much longer recovery time. After my laproscopic surgery I had terrible shoulder pains from the gas - I was told that peppermint tea can relieve it a bit.

Good luck keeping the furkids off your tum whilst you recover!

Rachel
09-27-2006, 07:15 AM
After my laproscopic surgery I had terrible shoulder pains from the gas - I was told that peppermint tea can relieve it a bit.
Good luck keeping the furkids off your tum whilst you recover!

Maybe you could redirect those pounding paws to the shoulder area if you have this problem. We shall be thinking of you and praying for you on Thursday. Keep you mind on all the relief this will provide for you.

catlover4ever
09-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Lori, prayers coming your way. I hope all goes well and that this surgery will help. (((HUGS))) Meg

mina'smomma
09-27-2006, 08:34 AM
You'll be iin my prayers too.

pitc9
09-27-2006, 09:15 AM
You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
I had a laparoscopic surgery a few years ago for Endo. The worst part was the gas pain. While in the recovery area the nurses kept tell me to pass gas but I couldn't :o it just wouldn't ... umm... come out.. :o (Sorry TMI)
But the person next to me had no problem letting it rip and I was jealous! :p
I'll be thinking of you!!

kuhio98
09-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Sending prayers your way ~ and gentle hugs.

lv4dogs
09-27-2006, 09:22 AM
You'll be in my thoughts for sure. I hope you have a succesful suregery & a speedy recovery.

Sonia59
09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Good luck ;)

jazzcat
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Thank you all so much. I debated announcing this because of the nature of the surgery but your support means so much to me. I really do appreciate all the prayers, good thoughts and well wishes.

Richard - I've heard that saying. :o

Ally cat's mom and Pitc9 - I had a lap back in Jan and know that gas pain all too well. I didn't have the kind to let 'rip', lol, but I did have the pain in my side and shoulder. It hurt to breath deep, cough or laugh. Laughing would bring me to tears in seconds. I think I may be dreading that part the most. My dr. explained that the gas is gone quickly but the bruising from it pushing your diaphram is what causes the pain.

I will have to try the peppermint tea, thanks.

Thank again so much. Today I'm keeping busy with getting my house cleaned and in order. Yesterday I got my Dad squared away and I have someone who is going to be taking good care of him for me.

gini
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
I am saying a prayer for you too, that all will go well and you will soon be a new person and feeling great!

I would stock up on extra pillows though.

Lizzie
09-27-2006, 01:03 PM
My best wishes also for a successful surgery and quick, painless-as-possible recovery, and that it solves the problems it's supposed to solve. You may have to rent a cage to put under the bed covers to keep Rumor off your tum for a while. No matter what you do, a cat will find a way around it, and it sometimes causes you worse problems than if you'd let them have their way - but you already know that.

cyber-sibes
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I will keep you in thought and prayer. I had a total hys. last summer - no picnic, but boy was it worth it! I figured since you said only 1 day in the hospital that your must be laproscopic. I hope you are finally pain-free! There was a website I used for info & support that was really good - www.hystersisters.com You might want to check it out :D

jenluckenbach
09-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Prayers for you, of course!! (my goodness, I almosted missed this whole thread)

Best of luck tomorrow. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

sirrahbed
09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I am also thinking about you as surgery day approaches. I said my prayer for you, that the procedure will go well and you will have a quick recovery. I know that you must be nervous and this is natural of course. Hopefully, the hysterectomy will take away your pain and you will be able to live a more normal life.
((HUGS))) to Lori!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
I hope everything goes well and that you have a quick recovery!

Ginger's Mom
09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I will definitely include you in my prayers for an easy surgery and relatively quick and painfree recovery. Give the kids extra hugs tonight, and I am sure they will try to be gentle with you upon your return home.

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Lori, I hope that everything goes smoothly and that you make a speedy recovery too. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.(((HUGS)))

Dorothy39
09-27-2006, 11:18 PM
I am thinking of you , Jazzcat, And, when you read this thead, you will realize that soooo many people on Pet Talk CARE and Pray for your quick recovery!!!!

Prayers and Positive Vibrations for you !!!!!!!!

trayi52
09-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Lori, I had the laparoscopic Hysterectomy 11 years ago. For me it was a painless, except just one twinge of gas pain in my shoulder, and that was all. I barely knew I had surgery at all! My husband kept reminding me that I had to be careful and not lift the grandchildren. I am so happy I had mine done, as somebody else said, I would not have all my junk back again for everything in the world. I feel so much better.

I will keep you in my prayers, Lori, that you will have a quick and painless recovery.

Willie

kimlovescats
09-28-2006, 12:22 AM
I missed this thread until now! I imagine you are in bed now, hopefully sleeping, before your surgery. Many hugs and prayers that all will go well, and you will soon be pain free!

HUGS,
Kim :)

sirrahbed
09-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi Lori. I woke with a prayer for you this morning. I hope you had a good night and are calm, relaxed and confident as you go to the hospital. I am wishing you a quick recovery and happy results. Hugs to you baby sister :)

Pam
09-28-2006, 07:09 AM
I'll be thinking of you today Lori. Try to relax. (Easier said than done!) ;)

petslover
09-28-2006, 07:15 AM
I hope your surgery goes well today. Please be sure to get your rest. I hope for the best.

RobiLee
09-28-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm thinking of you today, Lori. Wishing you a speedy and successful surgery and a quick recovery.

{{HUGS}}

slick
09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Dr. Max and Dr. Pete are with you today Lori.....as are my many {{{hugs}}}. I'll be watching for an uppydate later today.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh Gosh, Lori, I haven't been on in a few days so I missed this entirely! :(

I hope everything is going well as the surgery is probably underway already, if not already over.

A friend of mine had a hysterectomy at about 42. She was in constant pain before, and afterwards she couldn't believe she waited so long to have it done. She has had absolutely NO negative after affects. I sure do hope and pray the same is true for you!

Logan
09-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I've had you on my mind today, Lori. I hope everything has gone well with the surgery. :) You are in my prayers.

Logan

Dorothy39
09-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Jazzcat,

I've had you on my mind since early this morning , so, I'm stealing some time again and typing "Good Thoughts to You".

Prayers and Postive Good Thoughts!!!!!!

jenluckenbach
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Just pooping in to let you know I am here. Hope all is going well.

shais_mom
09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Just pooping in to let you know I am here. Hope all is going well.
this made me smile - Jen - it kind of goes along with Slick's thread when she was in the hospital - just pooping along
;) :D

dukedogsmom
09-28-2006, 01:19 PM
I've been meaning to reply to this. I had one a year ago in August and feel so much better! It'll make you feel like a new woman, believe me. Now the pain after the operation isn't much fun but it doesn't last long and before you know it, you'll be healed and so much happier. I hope it went well.

Lizzie
09-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Who is going to post and let us know that the surgery went well?

kimlovescats
09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Who is going to post and let us know that the surgery went well?

I just called and left a message on their home answering machine. I don't have another number for them. Does anyone have a cell number for Lori, or happen to know which hospital she is in? I'd love to call and check in with her!

Kim

slick
09-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Just checking in to see if there is an update. Lori, you've been on my mind all day. I pray the surgery was OK and you are now like me....on the road to recovery. I'll check in later.

kimlovescats
09-28-2006, 11:24 PM
I have called her home phone several times, now the answering machine isn't even picking up. I wish I had gotten another number ... *sigh*. I will try again tomorrow. Hopefully Richard (hubby) will get my first message and give me a call tomorrow! If anyone else hears anything, please let us all know!

Kim

Uabassoon
09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
I hope the surgery went well. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!

trayi52
09-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Just checking in. Praying that the surgery went well.

Willie

gini
09-29-2006, 12:06 AM
I hope our next news is good news!

BC_MoM
09-29-2006, 12:10 AM
I hope our next news is good news!

Me too. :)

Dorothy39
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Hope you are resting well, Dear Pet Talk Friend.

Thinking about your "Friday", and, Hoping all went well for you!!!!

{{{HUGS}}} Please Rest on Our Patience Jazzcat!!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-29-2006, 09:06 AM
How did it go? How are you feeling? We are all still with you

cyber-sibes
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Hoping you are home, nice & cozy back in your own bed.

kimlovescats
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I just spoke with LORI! She is at home and answered the phone herself! She had just been home about 15 or 20 minutes. She sounded GREAT! She said everything went well and she feels really good ... almost so good that it's hard to believe she had major surgery. :eek: She said she actually wanted to come home last night ... was ready to eat and get out of there! :p

WELCOME HOME LORI!!! :D

Hugs,
Kim

Killearn Kitties
09-29-2006, 10:12 AM
:eek: If she was ready to eat first, she MUST be feeling good!

Glad to hear you are back, Lori. Take care.

Ginger's Mom
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Glad to hear that Lori is home and feeling so well. :) Hope that she continues to feel as good when the drugs wear off. ;) Continued thoughts and prayers for a speedy and pain-free recovery.

lv4dogs
09-29-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm glad to hear that it went well & she's home &feeling so good considering. You're still in my thoughts, praying for a pain free & speedy recovery.

catlover4ever
09-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the update Kim.

Lori, so glad to hear that you are back home and hopefully your staff of fur-nurses are taking really good care of you. Here's to a speedy recovery.

gini
09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
I am happy that my wish came true - next news IS GOOD NEWS!!

slick
09-29-2006, 10:51 AM
WELCOME HOME LORI!!!!
Kim, thanks so much for letting us know and I'm glad everything went well. Yes, I know all too well the feeling of wanting to come home. There's nothing quite like the comforts of home.....hair included.
Big {{{hugs}}} to you Lori and let those furry nurses do their job, OK?? :D :D

Cataholic
09-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Welcome home, and sure hope you can post soon to let us all know firsthand how things are coming along!

krazyaboutkatz
09-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the update Kim.:)

Welcome home Lori!!!:D I'm so glad to hear that everything went well and that you're feeling well and finally home. I hope that you'll continue to feel well and make a speedy recovery.:)

Randi
09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Sorry, I'm late, but glad to hear you're feeling OK! :) Take care and let your husband spoil you! ;)

pitc9
09-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear you're home and on the mend!

Dorothy39
09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Thank-you, Kimlovescats, for that Great Up Date!!!!

Jazzcat: I'm glad your ordeal is over with and that you were feeling up to a telephone conversation!!! :cool:

Now, all you need to do is rest up with your Purr Pals and have hubby peel you a grape now and then!!!! ;)

Take it Easy Pet Talk Pal!!!!

God Bless You!!!

jenluckenbach
09-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the update. So happy that it was a GOOSD one. :D

jazzcat
09-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi guys!!! I'm so glad to be home! I feel very good considering and I've already been out for a little walk in the neighborhood (I stuck to flat areas).

Everyone that calls here is surprised to hear me answer and at how good I sound. I have yet to need any pain meds, didn't even use my morphine pump at the hospital but I had Richard fill my Percocet just in case. I know from past things I ususally feel worse on the third day. Right now I just feel like I've been punched in the gut, nothing serious.

My doc says the the surgery went great and he said I should be back to normal in a few weeks.

Thank you all for the prayers, good thoughts and well wishes. It means so much to me. :)

jenluckenbach
09-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi Lori!! Hope all continues pain free.

Rachel
09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
My doc says the the surgery went great and he said I should be back to normal in a few weeks.

Such encouraging news. So glad that all went well and that you are already starting to recover. This has been a week of concern. It's good to have things sort out this way. Makes for a much better weekend for all us worriers. Thanks for taking the time and energy to let us hear from you so soon.

kimlovescats
09-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Lori ... you just had your "innards" taken out ..... are you sure you should be going on a walk????? :eek:

trayi52
09-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I knew you would be okay! Just remember to take it easy, no matter how you feel, you did just have major surgery! NO LIFTING!!!!!!!! Please be careful, and just take care of yourself for a few more weeks!

Love ya,
Willie

ChrisH
09-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Lori, so glad to hear all went well and you are doing good. Gentle http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/Hugs2.gif

Logan
09-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Well aren't you something? :) This is terrific that you are doing so well. Don't overdo things!

Logan

shais_mom
09-30-2006, 02:15 PM
wow what a woman
you
go
girl!

Dorothy39
09-30-2006, 03:02 PM
W :eek: W , now I know why you call yourself Jazzcat.!!!!

So very glad that you are up to taking walks and talking on the telephone~~~~ and~~~so very glad that you don't have to rely on Percocet!!! or that horrible Morphine!!!!! That stuff put me in La~La Land!!! I just can't stand to take any pain medication ( allergic reaction to all but Tylenol 3).

Adding my own Pet Talk Mothering here, Get your Rest and don't over do it!!!! ;)

jazzcat
09-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm taking it easy today but I did take another short walk outside. The fresh air did wonders and the walking helps the rib-cracking gas pains. I even ventured out back to feed my two backyard kitty visitors. I was afraid the little female was pregnant but now I'm pretty sure she isn't.

I've been napping a lot and enjoying not having anything I have to do.

I have some lovely bruises on my stomach that now look like I've been punched severely but the pain is still not bad.

Thanks again everyone.

lisalee
09-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Lori, I'm glad to hear everything went okay with your surgery. I hope you continue to feel better and have a speedy recovery!

krazyaboutkatz
09-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Lori, I'm so glad that you're feeling well and I hope that this will continue and you won't have to take any pain meds. Just remember to do as the doctor has ordered. Get well soon.

dukedogsmom
09-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Popping in to see how you're doing. I hope you're feeling much better. If someone hasn't told you, get a pillow and hold it over your stomach when you're getting up and down. Does a remarkable job on making it less painful. It gets better every day, especially after the stitches are removed. If you have a recliner, sleep in that. I slept in mine for 5 weeks. Was so thankful for it. Get better soon!

Logan
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
How are you feeling, Lori? Hope you're continuing to have good recovery!!!! :)

jazzcat
10-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks Logan. I'm doing well. I had a great couple of first days and then got too fiesty yesterday and overdid it. I walked well over a half mile outside, water a few outside plants and cleaned the litterboxes (along with some kitty barf) last night and now today I am paying for it. I've done nothing but rest in the recliner today. I've been lectured by my family and now I know what "do nothing and recoup" means. I will behave now.

Killearn Kitties
10-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Aww, sweetie! Why is everyone's family always made up of such know-alls! :D :D
Glad you hear that you are behaving yourself now!