PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Co-Worker - Pet Sitting Horror Story!!

elizabethann
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
My co-worker went on vacation for 1 week and hired a cat/dog sitter. She has 2 cats (one has kidney issues) and a dog (kind of like Fenway, only 10 pounds bigger). She called her pet sitter the night before she was headed back home to see how the animals were doing and to remind the pet sitter they were due back the following day. The pet sitter said "oh, I thought you were leaving in October." My co-worker flipped! She said you should have been watching my pets this whole week - NOT in October! My co-worker was so upset & crying. The pet sitter ran to my co-workers house to see how the animals were doing. The house was a pig sty. There was no food left and very little water. My co-worker thinks the dog may have ate the kitty's poop for food. She said she put a ton of food down so they may of had food for 2-3 days. But not the whole 7 days. The dog peed & pooped everywhere and the house reeked. My poor co-worker couldn't catch an earlier flight so she had to keep her scheduled one. She said she cried & cried all the way home. Can you just imagine? I guess the moral of this story is to call your pet sitter and make sure she/he is doing her/his job. I don't think she'll hire this woman again. My OTHER co-worker recommended her and she said she would still use her. Now this woman knows I pet sit (for co-workers, friends & family) but I don't know why she didn't ask me to pet sit for her. I thought that was kind of strange. But maybe she'll reconsider in the future. I just felt so bad for her.

Corinna
09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
OMG some one needs her license and bond pulled.

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 07:28 PM
That is just one terrible story, I feel so bad for the agony that she had to feel, realizing that her pets had been left to fend for themselves.

How in the heck do things like this happen, I ask!!!!

I'm so glad that her pets are alright!!!!! :o

Pembroke_Corgi
09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Aaaaggghhh that is horrible!! Those poor animals. :( That is really sad, I'm glad they are ok, at least. I was thinking about hiring a pet sitter for next weekend, but now I am not so sure....

Pawsitive Thinking
09-27-2006, 05:25 AM
I'd be on the phone every day to see how my babies were doing - would drive any pet sitter mad :eek:

signorelli21
09-27-2006, 05:55 AM
I'd be on the phone every day to see how my babies were doing - would drive any pet sitter mad :eek:

exactly

CatLuvrs
09-27-2006, 05:59 AM
That is awful! Your poor co-worker!!!

Cataholic
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Thank GOD the animals survived. How very scary, tragic and unfortunate.

But, I don't necessarily 'blame' the petsitter. She obviously DID think she was sitting the next month. Who in their right mind doesn't call up the day before they leave to make sure plans are set? I mean, really. :mad:

jackie
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow, what a nightmare, but I was wondering why she didn't call to check in earlier.

I just got back from a weeks holiday in Morocco and I called everyday (sometimes twice) to check in.

JenBKR
09-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Oh man what a nightmare! I agree with the others, I check with my pet sitter right before leaving to finalize plans and to go over what needs done. I too call quite often when away on vacation to check up. But, I can't imagine the feelings that your co-worker had coming home, I would have been a mess!

lv4dogs
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
That is terrible. I feel so bad for her & her pets.

Yous have mentioned some great suggestions, calling befroe you leave & frequently while you are on vacation. Please remember to get something in writing, stating the dates & job duties, even if it is a friend.

I hope none of her pets are all doing fine.

RedHedd
09-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Who in their right mind doesn't call up the day before they leave to make sure plans are set? I mean, really. :mad: My thoughts, exactly! I ALWAYS call and confirm.

Catlady711
09-27-2006, 08:44 PM
The poor furbabies!! That is just awful.

I feel very fortunate that I have a friend that stops by twice a day when I'm gone on vacation to take care of my kitties. She always leaves me detailed notes on what time who did what, so I know they are cared for well while I'm gone.

buttercup132
09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Its sad and all but why didnt she call..I know I'd be calling everyday asking for updates and making sure everything is ok. To leave it for a WEEK without calling?!?! I think I would go crazy worrying and wondering and thinking of every bad possibility of what might be happening. But I'd never leave mny pets with a sitter anyways if they cant come I cant go thats it. I couldnt leave the care of my babies in a strangers hands...

CathyBogart
09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
How sad for all of her poor animals. :(

Why didn't she call to confirm? I would never just leave and trust that my animals would be gotten to...what if the person I had hired to pet-sit had gotten sick or injured and hadn't been able to notify me? It seems really strange to me that she would just leave without confirming things with her pet-sitter.

Then again, I'm sure she's thinking the same thing. :(

sasvermont
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I would have called to confirm, for sure. People mix up dates all the time and that is all the more reason to confirm. I would say the blame is 50/50. Just my opinion - doesn't make me right!

All in all, it is ashame that the poor animals went so long without proper care.

I consider my pets my family and would have called to make sure things were running smoothly.

Sad story with an ok ending. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

caseysmom
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I watch my sisters bunny all the time. Sometimes she is just gone for a long weekend so he would be fine without me but I like to stop by and give him fresh fruit and veggies.

About 2 weeks before one of their long weekends she asked me to check on him, she never reminded me and I forgot. I get home one monday and there is a message on my phone saying "were back thanks for checking on truffles".

I was mortified and called and told her I forgot and to please call me the day before she leaves to make sure I remember.

chocolatepuppy
10-02-2006, 04:48 AM

same here, and certainly would have talked to the petsitter the night before I left.

krazykitties
10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
I would also call every day, and I would have everything confirmed before I left. I am the kind that drives the sitter batty! But this person thought things were all set, so right or wrong, she must have been frantic to get back to her pets! how awful! I would be pacing the whole time barely be able to sit til I could get back to them!

A couple years ago I had a neighbor watch my cats, what a mistake that was! But I didn't have a choice, and no time to find a new sitter. unfortunately I called my regular sitter and found out she was moving out of state so I didn't have a sitter.I was gone 5 days, in the hot July weather, and if it was not for the fact that I had the ceiling fans in each room on, and big bowls of water, I really believe they would have died. She checked on them but not very carefully. when I got home, it was hotter than**** in my house, my air conditioner had broke down! :eek: I called her each day, and she told me I didn't need to call-- everything was fine...!! after I got home and talked to her, she said "oh yeah I thought it was hot in there"...!! :mad: I told her if not for the water and fans they would have died!! why didn't you tell me when I called? :mad: I thought she was a conscientious person, I never guessed she would be so careless of their care.

since then I have gone on vacation once, and brought all my cats to a well known pet hotel, big mistake again. the care was wonderful but the accomadations were pitiful! the "rooms" were only cages that were adjoining!
since it was a well known name I didn't check it out first, and I felt terribly guilty the whole week. I called that place 2-3 times each day! I still miss my former cat-sitter, I am still looking for a good sitter or place to leave them at, but I am picky after those past mishaps.

krazyaboutkatz
10-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I feel so sorry for the animals in this situation.:( I rarely travel but when I do, I've used a co-worker, friends I could trust, or my roommate who would be living with my cats any way. I always go over everything a fews days before I'm going to leave and I write down all of the information,my contact number, vets number etc. I'm usually not gone for any length of time so I usually don't call. I guess I just assume that they'll call me if something is wrong. So far I've never had any problems.

Mad Mags Moo
10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
As professional catsitter , I make sure i phone my clients a week before and then a couple of days before they leave to check that all is ok and confirm dates, times, any changes in the cats - health, behaviour whatever i should be aware of. I also offer them a daily text service to their phone if they want a report on their babies and they can phone me as many times as they want to I am only to happy to chat to them any time. I am saddened to hear of some of the horror stories and i just do my very best for all my furry felines when mum and dad are on holiday :) I also give the cats a present of an organic catnip mouse and leave a Cats diary for the owner to read all about their cats holiday with their personal holiday slave aka Auntie Maggie!! :D

signorelli21
10-16-2006, 04:24 AM
i'm scared of leaving my dog at the vet next week for ( overnight observation) to be spayed, i could never imagine leaving her for a whole week :( if i did though i would take her here
http://www.puppysplaypen.com/services/facilities.htm

Twisterdog
10-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Thank GOD the animals survived. How very scary, tragic and unfortunate.

But, I don't necessarily 'blame' the petsitter. She obviously DID think she was sitting the next month. Who in their right mind doesn't call up the day before they leave to make sure plans are set? I mean, really. :mad:

I agree. Sounds like an honest misunderstanding. Who hasn't made that kind of mistake ... misunderstood a word or two? I cannot imagine leaving and not verifying that everything was set up properly and still ok with the person who was taking care of my pets! Wow! That's really irresponsible on the part of the pet-owner, IMO. I would have called a couple of times, once about a week before and definately the day before. You never know what happens to people ... deaths in the family, illness, accidents.