PDA

View Full Version : Help! Fleas!

Beauty17
09-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I haven't dealt with fleas in over 15 years. I don't have any idea how my cats got them - they are indoor cats, and no one has been in to visit. But they have been scratching, and I have been wondering. Beauty is all black, so they don't show up on her, and Indigo is half black, so they mostly don't show up on her - but last night I found two fleas in her white face, so I know for sure now. (I know - I should have flea-combed for dirt earlier, but it didn't occur to me because I couldn't imagine how they could have become infested.) Anyway - I know that people here have mentioned a good flea treatment, and I want to treat them before the fleas have infested our whole house, like they did last time (after a dog visited, when we had another two indoor cats). What should I do? Thanks in advance for your help.

sirrahbed
09-26-2006, 12:24 PM
My cats are all indoor and we have had fleas several times - they can come in on your shoes and clothing. Because we don't usually think to watch for fleas with kitties indoors - they can multiply pretty quickly before you notice.

I find that Advantage drops work like a charm. Usually one treatment is all it takes too. Fleas are mostly dead within a few hours. I order mine online at PetShed, but you can also get them at the vet office. That is what I would suggest :)

Jessika
09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Yup fleas can come in on your shoes and clothes and jackets and stuff :P

I would bathe them.. every time mine have had fleas I just use dawn dishsoap and thoroughly scrub them and **very important!!** pick off any fleas you see that don't wash down the drain but are still stuck in their fur, even if they appear to be dead, because sometimes they aren't dead and you can deal with another reinfestation. So pick off and squash EVERY flea that doesn't wash down the drain.

I have never used a topical preventative... my pets get fleas so few and far between usually all I have to do is give them a good bath and check them daily for a few days afterwards, picking off any I see. I am in an area that is high in fleas too so I don't understand why they never get them. NO COMPLAINTS, though! The only time they get fleas is when we visit my parents and they romp around in their backyard... every stinkin' time! But of course my father claims my dogs had fleas before we visited and my dog's infested their cats... :rolleyes:

catmandu
09-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Advantage Flea Drops and if your Cats will wear collars, the Ova Flea collar.
Good luck with those parasites.

Freedom
09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Fleas can jump as high as a second story window to get in. If you plan to give them a bath, do that before you put on any topicals. I have great results with Revolution. You can spray your window screens with repellants to keep more from getting in while you are dealing with getting rid of what is in there. Good luck!

Beauty17
09-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am going to call my vet today to see what she has in stock.

CultureJunky
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM
We are having a flea problem too at the moment, mostly Sunny, Jack doesn't seem to get them so bad. So I purchased Frontline off a animal meds website they had an offer on of 12 for £30.00 inlcuding postage, so they've both hand thier spot on now, hopefully that'll clear the damn things up.
I have also bought flea powder to do the bedroom, spare room and living room carpets,(the rest of the house is laminate floor)
you just sprinkle on leave for an hour then hoover up, I'm doing the bedroom carpet now as we speak, then tomorrow I'll do the other two rooms.
Does anybody else use the flea powder?