PDA

View Full Version : He's here!! Meet Kuri! [Pics]

binka_nugget
09-26-2006, 12:34 AM
We got our new foster boy today. A sweet BC/New Zealand Heading Dog (w/a smidge of Aussie). The poor boy is terrified of almost everything.. he cowers when the dogs bark and apparently will hide when people laugh, the tv's too loud, etc. It was heartbreaking taking him from his family.. but they knew it was best for him and them. Based on what his mum said, he sounds like he'll fit in wonderfully in a working home.

Here's the sweet boy. I'll try to get some better ones of all three boys tomorrow :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/3-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/5-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/6-1.jpg

.sarah
09-26-2006, 01:29 AM
He's beautiful! I really love the last picture. :)

bckrazy
09-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Wow! Kuri is sooo cute! =) His markings and his expressions are awesome. He looks like such a soft boy... I'm sure he'll come out of his shell soon. Gonzo is also attentive to noises, like if some one sneezes he'll run over and make sure they're ok. He used to be overly sensitive to any noise when we first got him, but it didn't take very long for him to get used to normal sounds/sights/people.

Did Kuri's former home expose him to normal house noises, or socialize him? He sounds kind of under-socialized, beyond being sensitive. You're awesome for taking him in, Ashley!

chocolatepuppy
09-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Oh Ashley, he is just precious! :)

Daisy and Delilah
09-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Awwwwwww!!! Kuri is such a good looking boy. It sounds like he may be a challenge but he's in the right place now. He'll be running around with his buddies very soon in his new home. Congrats for taking him in!! :)

pitc9
09-26-2006, 07:54 AM
A sweet BC/New Zealand Heading Dog (w/a smidge of Aussie).

:o Is New Zealand Hearding dog the same as an ACD?? :o

Oh he's so cute! Poor thing! I'm sure with you and your pups helping he'll come out of his shell in no time!! :D

BC_MoM
09-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Aw!! He's adorable! :) Why did his owners surrender him?

cyber-sibes
09-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Well hello Kuri! You are going to have such a good time with your fursibs at your new home. They'll show you the ropes and in no time at all, you'll realize there is nothing to be afraid of there. You sure are a handsome guy!

binka_nugget
09-26-2006, 11:17 AM
He's doing great so far :D A little bit of tension between my guys and him.. but they all leave each other alone. Kaedyn was much worse when I introduced him to Kai.. so I'm not too worried. I'm sure they'll all settle down in a few days.

I'm at work at the moment. He's at home right now (my boys are upstairs and he's downstairs). I didn't have a crate big enough.. I'm hoping he's being a good boy right now. :p

Did Kuri's former home expose him to normal house noises, or socialize him? He sounds kind of under-socialized, beyond being sensitive.

I think he was undersocialized. I have to teach him how to walk on a leash too.. he lived in North Vancouver with tons of trails surrounding his home.. but now he's in the big city with nothing but traffic. I think it's possible genetics might be playing a role too. There were a lot of close breedings.. nothing extreme like brother/sister but there were a lot of aunt/nephew breedings in there. The same dogs show up multiple times in the pedigree, so I guess if they were some-what shy/fearful, it could have been made worse with the close breedings being repeated.

He's doing really well so far though! A couple disagreements with my boys but they mainly leave him alone, and he leaves them alone.

Aw!! He's adorable! :) Why did his owners surrender him?
His family was really great! They took amazing care of him but they knew their family wasn't the right match for a herding dog. His mum said it was unfair that she had to spend more time working with the dog than being with her kids, and it wasn't fair for him to be a family pet when it's very clear he should be in a working home.

:o Is New Zealand Hearding dog the same as an ACD?? :o
:p There's not a lot of info out there.. but nope! New Zealand Heading Dogs (I think) are very similar to Border Collies. They look a lot like smooth BCs. Some claim they're better herding dogs than Border Collies.. *shrugs* :o

lv4dogs
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh boy, he's a looker that's for sure!!! I'd be a foster failure if he were in my hands. lol I love the name too!
I wish you the best of luck, I know you can get this boy to be confident and into a loving forever home. I'll be looking forward to updates!

Logan
09-26-2006, 11:35 AM
He's beautiful. :) And thank you for making room in your home for him until he can find his forever home.

Logan, Honey, Lilly, Mack and Gracie Girl (our Golden Retriever foster)

luvofallhorses
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
he's adorable! :D thanks so much for taking him in! :)

Danegirl2208
09-26-2006, 05:24 PM
what a sweet boy :)

elizabethann
09-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Kuri looks so happy. What a beautiful doggie!!

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-26-2006, 05:50 PM
What a beautiful boy he is! Hopefully after staying with your family for a while, he won't be as afraid of things. He looks like such a sweet dog :).

Riptide
09-26-2006, 06:01 PM
He is SUCH a handsome boy!

zoomer
09-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Poor thing! You're awesome for taking him in! I hope he recovers from his scarcness soon. He's very handsome! I'm surprised he's not afraid of the camera.

sabies
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Kuri you are beautiful! Welcome to your new home :) :)

Toby's my baby
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Aww, he is adorable!! I LOVE the last picture, he's so handsome! :D

K9karen
09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Fosters are heros in my book. Bless you for taking him into a loving environment where he can learn fun, neat stuff and make new friends. I love his name too. He's so handsome.