PDA

View Full Version : how to saddle a horse? Western

lv4dogs
09-25-2006, 02:24 PM
I am trying to find a horse farm in the area that I can trade some work for 1-2 hours of their time to help me re-learn how to saddle a horse. I am a very quick learner & already knew how to do this (years ago though) so I figured I might even be able to do it if someone just tells me how. I thought I'd ask here since I'm having no luck in my area. (I can't afford lessons at this time, they all want $50/hour in my area).

You see the thing is, with the horses I ride, Foxy & Sheeba, they were originally taught how to ride western. But Michelle, my cousin who usually rides them only knows English. So often times the horses have a Western bit with an English sadle. The horses are great, they ride no matter what saddle you have on their backs or if there is no saddle at all.

But I would think they might even be better yet if they have the Western sadle on as that is what they are originally used to. I also want to do it for me, so I can accomplish something. lol

There are 3 horses (but Willow can be be rode) and there are 5 western saddles. But 1 or 2 saddles are missing the back cinch. But if I remember right some western saddles don't even have a back cinch???? I know english saddles don't, or at least some of them.
I'd like to know if anyone knows of a website that explains how to saddle a horse? Or if someone can explain it here for me.
I found this website but I was looking for one with more pictures:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7464_saddle-horse.html
Also if anyone knows what is the easiest way to determain what saddle fits what horse? I don't want to stress the horses out by putting on 5 or so saddles before we find the one that fits right. lol

Any help is appreciated.

Husky_mom
09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
i found this with pics, hope it helps
http://www.frontrangefrenzy.com/horsecare/saddlinghorse.html

buttercup132
09-25-2006, 07:57 PM
If your a quick learner and have a good photographic memory then just get someone to show you once and let you do it and then I'm sure youll rmember. I was showed how to do a western saddle only once and I still remember how and that was a year ago and I never ride Western.

Toby's my baby
09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
If the website already provided doesn't help, I can surly take a video with my camera of me saddling my horse tomorrow, if you'd like...?

Suki Wingy
09-25-2006, 10:04 PM
that site doesn't say how to do the cinch knot. I remember it by using 7+4=11. After you wrap the nylon or leather thing around the cinch buckle and ring on the saddle for it, pull the end of the strap to the side so that it looks like a 7, then hold it and bring the strap back over across the cinch so it looks like a 4, thentuck the end behind and through the ring, and through the little loop you created and tighten it. now, the hanging strap and the part wrapped up are the 11.

BC_MoM
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I LOVE riding Western, but I could never figure out the Western saddle. Saddling up English was so much easier for me.

lv4dogs
09-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think between the two of us we should be able to figure it out. But I'll keep your offer in mind TMB.
And I just took a new job offer today (at a vet clinic), it just so happens that almost everyone there owns horses. I already have two different co-workers willing to show me how to do it!

buttercup132
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Aww thats nice of them. Or you could always switched to English riding lol:)

lv4dogs
09-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Aww thats nice of them. Or you could always switched to English riding lol:)

I like western, it's much more relaxed and there is a horn to hang onto when you load & unload. lol Besides that is what the horses are used to. lol