PDA

View Full Version : Ally and Connor update

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry I haven't been online much lately - I am so stressed with the cats, packing up the house, selling cars etc....

Anyway, some good news, and some hopeful news...

CONNOR will be making his way to the USA to be fostered by a very special PTer - Cheryl (Emily-The-Spoiled). I am so grateful to Cheryl for stepping in and offering to have Connor in her home, and with her other precious special-needs babies, whilst we are Nigeria. It means so much that (a) I will not have to give him up permanently, and (b) he will still be a part of PT whilst he is away from me.

On the downside, the costs to get him to the states are substantial, as he has to fly via London on British Airways. This is the ONLY airline which has a direct service to Washington from Bahrain (albeit via Heathrow), so I can't shop around for better pricing etc. I hate to ask, but if anyone here could possibly help out, even the smallest donations will be greatly appreciated.

ALLY - good news there too folks!! My friend Chantelle (who adopted my deaf foster Crystal last year) has two friends who are both interested in Ally. In both cases she would be an inside-only and ONLY cat, so fingers crossed that this will work out. The only limitiation is that I will have to put aside money to ship Ally to wherever her new owner decides to go to after Bahrain - as both of them have expressed concern about the lack of permanence in the expat community here, and neither of them wants to bond with Ally and then have to leave her behind when they leave - of course I am totally willing to do this!

So it seems like both Ally and Connor will soon be in loving new homes - although how I am going to manage without them remains to be seen :(

Prairie Purrs
09-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Good news indeed! And I'll be happy to contribute something to the Connor travel fund. :)

jazzcat
09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
That is such good news Julie! I'm so glad Connor will still be in the PT family.

ramanth
09-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Wonderful news! I'm sure I could chip in a little. :)

Logan
09-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Julie, I am delighted to hear this news! I think that the expense will be so worth it, to have both babies safely with other families. I hope your husband agrees!!! ;)

Ally and Connor will remain in my prayers, as will you, until all of this is finalized.

Logan

catnapper
09-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Juilie, what fantastic news (bittersweet though) I'm glad Connor will have a great foster home and Ally will potentially get a great new home.

catlover4ever
09-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh Julie that is wonderful news. Let me know what and how to help. I'm tight on money right now but I'm sure I can find a few $$'s to help out this wonderful cause. --- Meg

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
That is great! At least you don't have to worry about your cats any longer :) . Take care, okay?!

Catty1
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
DO you have a PayPal account? Or does someone you trust?

How can people get help to you?

Good news so far! :)

Kirsten
09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
That is wonderful news, Julie!!! Of course I'm sad for you that you have to leave them behind, but it makes me soo happy that they will have new homes, and won't need to be PTS!! Maybe Ally will even enjoy after a while being the ONLY cat, who knows...

I would also like to give a bit (even though I can't give much :o). If anyone has a paypal account, it would be the best. :)

Kirsten

Donnaj4962
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Sounds like good news for everyone! I hope everything works out for all!

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Julie,this is wonderful news!!!:D I'm also tight on funds at the moment but I'll be able to contribute a little bit.

shais_mom
09-26-2006, 12:03 AM
fingers crossed for you and the kitters!

jenluckenbach
09-26-2006, 05:17 AM
STANDING OVATION FOR CHERYL
Thank you for helping Connor. :D :D

And I love that there should be a home for Ally as well. :D

Now for {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}. Being without those precious babies will be so hard. :(

How can we go about making a donation?

emily_the_spoiled
09-26-2006, 08:49 AM
I am glad that you finally made the announcement to everyone :D

We are more than happy to have Connor join our little (or not so little) family. He will become "furry alarm clock #8 :rolleyes: but I know that he will fit in without too much trouble.

I guess these means that I might have to actually upload some of the pictures on my digital camera so Julie can keep an eye on Connor...

Corinna
09-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Where can we send the funds to help conner get here? What's the story on Ally ?

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks to all of you for your continued support and prayers. This is definately the MOST traumatic part of the move, and I haven't felt able to move forward with anything in a positive way without having Ally and Connor sorted out first.

Also a HUGE thankyou to all of you who have offered to assist with the costs of transporting Connor to Cheryl.

I just checked my paypal account, and as it is based on my South African credit card, I cannot use it to RECEIVE payments - only MAKE them.

If I receive overseas checks they take my bank 6 WEEKS to clear and they cost $28 PER CHECK in bank fees :(. Also for PTers to wire money to me here will cost them bank fees for every transaction.....

The only solution I can think of (as Catty1 suggested) is to have someone on PT act as a "banker" for me, so everyone could send their donations to one person (preferably via Paypal as it's probably the easiest) then that person could withdraw the funds as a single amount and wire to me, so only incurring ONE bank charge in total.

If anyone is prepared to do this please let me know.

Thanks again to all my dear friends here!

(((HUGS)))

Julie

emily_the_spoiled
09-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Well since I am already taking the Conner, I guess I could also do this. Only thing is that someone will have to tell me how I can withdraw the money from PayPal (I usually only spend it :rolleyes: ) I am set up to receive funds but I should probably find out a little more before people start sending money (but feel free to send advice!)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm late to this thread and I have a million other things going on in my life, or I'd volunteer to be the "banker" in a heart beat!

Emily. It's a piece of cake to withdraw the money from paypal. I don't remember specific clicks and places, but you can go into your account on paypal and tell them you want the money deposited directly into your bank account - paypal charges no fee to do it this way. However, you should check with your bank to see if they do this sort of thing with no fees - mine has no problem with it. They will make 2 or 3 deposits into your account - in amounts less than $1.00. When you see those deposits, you tell paypal how much they are and if the amounts match what their records say they sent, you're good to go. This is their verification process.

Once everyone sends the money to your paypal account, you tell paypal how much you want to withdraw and within 3 - 4 days the money shows up in your account....done!

It's a piece of cake, so if you get into it and you have any questions, please let me know. Glad to help however I can. Once you're all set up, the easiest thing to do would be to post your paypal email address here, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, you could pm it to everyone who asks for it - me included! ;)

Hope this helps!

Killearn Kitties
09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Debbie, T&P's Mom collected all the money for Randi via her PayPal account, so you might want to ask her for any advice she has.

Killearn Kitties
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Oops! Bit late. :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Karen, I guess great minds think alike. ;) :D

jenluckenbach
09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Also, in order to accept paypal from others who use a credit card you will need a 'business account'. I only found this out when doolittleky sent me a payment and I needed to upgrade the account to accept it. As far as I know it did not cost me to upgrade, but they take a percetage of each transaction. (WOW! I hope that made sense)

emily_the_spoiled
09-26-2006, 03:27 PM
I already upgraded my account to a business account so I can take credit cards, but I have not verified it yet. I guess I need to do that before I can accept money into my bank account.

But in the mean time I will check with my bank, I don't think there should be a problem but I am with a credit union so you never know :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-27-2006, 05:16 AM
I am struggling to find the words to express to Cheryl how grateful I am for everything that she is doing for me, and for Connor. What would I do without you???

Thanks too to everyone here, for all the support you are giving me through this. You guys are like family to me.

(((HUGS)))

Cataholic
09-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Bittersweet news, indeed. :(

Cheryl, I can either mail you money, or do paypal. So, if something is better, let me know. I just emailed you.

Johanna

ramanth
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
But in the mean time I will check with my bank, I don't think there should be a problem but I am with a credit union so you never know :rolleyes:
It shouldn't be a problem Cheryl. I have Pay Pal and belong to a credit union as well. When I receive money I just have it transfered from Pay Pal to my bank account, no problems. :)

emily_the_spoiled
09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
If anyone would like to donate money through PayPal my account name is:
cfahlman

If you want to send a cheque or money order just PM me and I will send you my snail mail address.

Cheryl

moosmom
09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
That is wonderful news!! Please PM me with your address and I'll send what I can.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Glad you got it all figured out Cheryl. :D

emily_the_spoiled
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks, I am pretty good in some technology areas but then there are the others :rolleyes: :rolleyes: