PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training

mel55smiles
06-01-2002, 07:25 PM
HELP ME!! PLEASE!! MY SIS'S CHIHUAHUA IS LEARNING TO BE HOUSETRAINED AND HE EITHER GOES OUTSIDE FOR HOURS AND THEN COMES IN SIDE AND GOES TO THE BATHROOM OR GOES ON THE PORCH

mugsy
06-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Is there something outside that would scare the little guy? I would suggest some positive reinforcement when he goes potty outside ( like a treat or a hug...etc.) and then when he potties in the house, give him a firm NO NO and take him back outside.

Those are the only thngs I can think of...and I'm NO expert!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jokens
06-10-2002, 04:04 AM
:)

We used potty pads for our small dog (yorkie), I have them in places he has gone before. But I faithfully take him out about 4 times a day...on a daily routine. If he HAS to use a pad, he actually comes and tells me (by getting in my lap and staring at me till I go look)...as if...mommy I had an accident! Then we got a baby yellow lab, he was only a week old when we put a pad in one corner of his box, as he grew...he also became an excellent trained dog, letting us know when he wants out. I really think it takes your "faithfullness" in letting them out at a certain time each time, a pattern of times they can count on. All our dogs are great at going outside. There will be accidents, but thats normal, no dog is perfect.

C.C.'s Mom
06-10-2002, 05:16 AM
We had Cookie easily trained with treats whenever she went potty outside. We also taught her the command 'go potty' so that we could be sure she did something. It still works very well like this.

With a small dog, it's important that you take them out straight after they finish eating or drinking. Puppies always have to go potty afterwards. And if they go, give a treat and say: good boy to go potty.
If they do it in the house and you see it, say a firm: NO. Don't if you haven't seen it. It's usuless and the dog won't understand and maybe even think he's wrong for being there.

At night we had Cookie in a giant cardboard box sleeping next to us (as a crate, but we found a real crate too expensive). We had her to go potty before going to bed and in the beginning we took her out around 3am. After a month or so, she could be in her box till the next morning.

Good luck.

Aspen and Misty
06-30-2002, 04:40 PM
I take Chewy out every hour to make sure there are no accidents inside. I also take him out at 3 at night and 6 in the morning and then every hour after words. My mom would hate him if he peed in her house. The problem we have with Chewy is he gets exited and pees. He peed on my sister just a little bit ago. LOL. We told him he was bad and put him outside. He is staring to get the idea.

lovemymaltese
07-02-2002, 12:04 PM
My vet suggested that I take an empty soda can and fill it will pennies (about 10) and tape the top up. When the dog using the restroom in a forbidden area, you put them near it so that they can see why they are being punished. You shack the can and say No! I have trained a few dogs with this method and it is wonderful. Some people feel that it is cruel, but it came as a vet'e advice. I trained my Tango in 1 week with this method, though not all pup's are that easy. I also had a fried use the can method to train her boxer to not jump on the kitchen counter. The noise is annoying to the dog and they learn quickly what to not do so that they don't have to hear it. Give it a try!

lovemymaltese
07-02-2002, 12:05 PM
P.S. If you do try it. let me know how it works out. Good luck!