PDA

View Full Version : trick or treat?

lute
09-25-2006, 12:12 PM
do you still go trick or treating? if not, why? do you dress up?

i havn't gone since i was 12. i didn't want to go with my brothers so i just stopped going. well, me and a bunch of my friends(i hang out with lots of guys) were at the tatoo shop the other night talking about going trick or treating. i said i don't go. the guys just laughed and said "you're going this year!" i know these guys well and they won't just go trick or treating. we will more than likely end our night hiding from the police.lol we do that a lot. :o not sure what i'm gonna dress up as.

ComedyDevil
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
they won't just go trick or treating. we will more than likely end our night hiding from the police.lol we do that a lot.

Wow, that's mature.

If I were you, i'd dress as a prison inmate, because that's where you'll end up if you carry on doing the kind of things you're implying. :rolleyes:

Husky15
09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Wow, that's mature.

If I were you, i'd dress as a prison inmate, because that's where you'll end up if you carry on doing the kind of things you're implying. :rolleyes:

I second that.

Miss Z
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't any more as I'm 'too grown up' ;) I usually accompany my brother around when he goes trick or treating, and if I do want some sweets, I just nick a couple from him :p My kind neighbour usually gets me a goody bag anyway and my parents might give me some money to get something nice.

they won't just go trick or treating. we will more than likely end our night hiding from the police

:eek: :confused:

lv4dogs
09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
I'd have to say that from some of the posts you post (this one & the seatbelt one) you better start counting your blessings now. Not sure how much longer you can stay out of trouble.

luvofallhorses
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I'd have to say that from some of the posts you post (this one & the seatbelt one) you better start counting your blessings now. Not sure how much longer you can stay out of trouble.

I agree.

catnapper
09-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh my! Spending the night hiding out from cops? :eek:

I remember once I went trick or treating out of town with some friends in college and then didn't have any money to get home (didn't plan on needing cash - got lost and the ONLY way home I knew was the turnpike). I actually stopped at a police station and begged for turn pike money home! LOL The cop knew I was a good kid (I was!) and gave me $3 to get home..... I went ot them for help, it would have never occured to me to spend the night hiding from them!

Vela
09-25-2006, 02:18 PM

I agree, from the sounds of it you and your friends are very immature and one of these days something bad is going to happen because of it. Cops have much better things they need to be doing rather than chasing after juvenile delinquents who don't have the common sense God gave them to stay out of trouble they don't need to be into. There are people out there who really need their help, and you tie them up with stupid pranks and jokes, really smart.

BC_MoM
09-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree, from the sounds of it you and your friends are very immature and one of these days something bad is going to happen because of it. Cops have much better things they need to be doing rather than chasing after juvenile delinquents who don't have the common sense God gave them to stay out of trouble they don't need to be into. There are people out there who really need their help, and you tie them up with stupid pranks and jokes, really smart.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth!

What kind of friends are these, getting you into trouble with the law? Pretty stupid and immature friends, in my opinion.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Agreed.
I've always had the feeling that you were immature and irresponsible, but now I'm sure of it. You're 18 years old, it's time you start acting like an adult (though not even a kid should be acting in such an irresponsible manner).

Zippy
09-25-2006, 04:39 PM
we will more than likely end our night hiding from the police.lol we do that a lot. :o

:eek:
that doesn't sound like a good idea :(
I stoped going at 13

Husky15
09-25-2006, 04:52 PM

You stole the words right out of my mouth as well.

This thread almost seemed like a thread just to announce how "cool" you think it is. Being chased by the cops is nothing to feel cool about.

moosmom
09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
At the age of 53??? Hardly. HOWEVER, back in my drinking days, I used to dress up and go bar hopping with my friends. What a hoot that was!!! I remember dressing up in my bunker gear from the fire dept. and hand out fireballs to all the cute looking guys. The things we do...*sigh*

lute
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM
At the age of 53??? Hardly.

you can never outgrow trick or treating! :)

as for everyone else. i'm not saying it's "cool" to hide from police. i didn't mean for it to sound like that. i live in the sticks. it's like living in Mayberry. there is NOTHING to do here other than hang out in the Dollar General parking lot and muddin. that's just what ya do around here. i'm sorry ya'll think i'm inmature and what not. i do have responsabilities. i just don't share them. i only share what i do for fun. my friends are good friends. we're just a bunch of hillbillies. :p

dukedogsmom
09-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Just going to a halloween party. I won't tell you what I'm going to be, though. I'm a bit old to be trick or treating although I would really love all that candy!

Vette
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Never have been trick or treating...
but love going to town on Halloween and seeing what people go as :D

BC_MoM
09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
You've never gone Trick or Treating, Vette!? :eek:

Karen
09-25-2006, 09:57 PM
you can never outgrow trick or treating! :)

I beg to differ. You, at 18, have outgrown trick-or-treating.

Can you still dress up and Halloween and have fun? Sure! But anyone taller than me who shows up at my door for candy that is taller than me gets a hard time. It hasn't happened in years, not since we moved to this neighborhood. But in the last place we lived, a couple times kids who towered over me (I am 5'6") came to the door, they got asked how old they were, were embarrassed to give me the answer, and got one small piece of candy each (everybody else got three).

The reason everyone is concerned, is you mentioned "hiding from police," which means you are intending to do something illegal, maybe vandalism at the very least. And you know what? Real emergencies that require police presence do happen, even in a "hick town," and I hope the force is not preoccupied with you to the detriment of someone else's safety or well-being. There are plenty of fun things you can do without breaking the law.

dukedogsmom
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
As a dispatcher, I have to agree with everyone else. You are old enough to surely know that it's not cool to be hiding from the police. We get many calls involving juveniles and that does tie up the units from responding to other calls. Things like kids playing on the phone. If we get 911 hangups, they are considered emergencies and the officers are pulled off of other calls to respond. Sounds like you might be up for a little criminal mischief or something? Not a good idea unless you want to get into trouble. Or maybe you want to wear prison orange?

Suki Wingy
09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know what I'm going as but for the veryy least I'll go out with my younger sister or cousins. I may go with friends though.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Not any more. I stopped when I was 10, and before then I just went because my parents wanted me to (well, mostly my dad so that he could have my candy..lol - I'm not a candy type of person, never have been.). I'm not a fan of halloween really, and don't dress up or hand out candy either. I used to hand out candy, but I couldn't stand the amount of (rude) teens showing up at the door, I only did it for the really young kids because it made them happy.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
09-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I LOVE Halloween! I look forward to it every single year. I dress up every Halloween and take my daughter and brother trick-or-treating. Last year I was a witch, I'm not sure what I will be dressing up as this year.

The Cat Factory
09-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I love Halloween :) I am too old to go trick or treating, but I will probably go out with my sister, my niece, and my little brother :)

Dorothy39
09-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Ahh, Halloween~~~~

I miss being a little kid and eagerly looking forward to all the free goodies!!! :D

I've noticed, in the past five years or so, that it is evolving into a major event.

Halloween lights, parties, cards----etc.

I never get trick or treaters out here in the country. So, I buy candy and give it to my daughter who receives way to many !!! :D

Not a real fan either , I do enjoy the novelty ~~~~ but my Husband loves to watch Those Scarey Movies
that spook the living snot out of me!!!!!! :eek:

Uabassoon
09-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I've been too old to trick or treat for years, but I still love dressing up! I usually either go to a party or out to my favorite bar dressed up on halloween. This year I'll be in Vegas during the Halloween weekend so we are planning on dressing up, but I have no clue yet what I'm wearing.

cali
09-26-2006, 12:25 AM
I grew up not being allowed to participate in halloween, I was not allowed out, not allowed to dress up, or go to the haunted houses at school, or allowed to hand out candy. when I started high school I was finally allowed to hand out candy to those who came to the door, but I was NOT allowed to turn on the light to let anyone know they were allowed. the following year when I was 16 I was allowed to go trick or treating for the first time in my life, and I have gone every year since. I will be 19 just before this halloween and I would still be able to go out without a single questioning look if I wanted too, why? same reason the theater hands me child tickets when I tell them I am an adult, and restraunts dont even ask, they just hand me the 12 and under menu, and I can go to the fair tell then I am a child and get in at half the price without so much as a second look while people who really DO classify as "child" get raised eyebrows lol I dont look older then 14, it annoys the heck out of me, but its real helpfull at times :p

Pembroke_Corgi
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't been trick-or-treating in a long time, but I still do like to dress up (ok, Eric is the big fan of Halloween, but it's fun!). And of course I hand out candy and eat whatever's left over!!!

One year we entered a costume contest with the dogs, and Eric & Adele won for scariest costumes (they were devils). Not sure what we'll do this year.

lute
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
i'm glad to see some people are planning thigs for Halloween! it can be a lot of fun. i feel you can never out grow trick or treating. if you are older than 20 and still go trick or treating, hats off to ya for staying young and having fun! :)

we aren't so inmature that we make prank calls to the police. that is real childish. i'm talking TPing people's houses and the school yard. soaping windows, etc. we don't tear anything up or hurt anyone.

GreyhoundGirl
09-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Last year I bought a panther costume and took the stuffing out of it, and put white paint down the front. I looked just like Jenny. ( Yes, that was my plan ;) )

A lot of the time, people would refuse to give me candy. :( Because I got driven into town for halloween. I sort of agree with those people, kids shouldn't get driven into a different place for halloween, they should walk around their neighbour hood. I would have to walk a long time though, because the closest house is about 30 miles away. :rolleyes: My dad would drop me and a friend off and we would walk around a little neighbourhood together. That was really fun. :)

BC_MoM
09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
we aren't so inmature that we make prank calls to the police. that is real childish. i'm talking TPing people's houses and the school yard. soaping windows, etc. we don't tear anything up or hurt anyone.

But if the police are responding to these calls, you are taking them away from more serious issues.

I'm 17, I'm not sure if I will be going out this year; trick or treating. If I don't, it will be my first year ever not going. I really love all the candy and trying to see how long it lasts - but maybe I'll go all out on my house this year with something really spooky and dress up to hand out candy! :)

I don't know if it's me, but it seems each year there have been less and less kids out!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-26-2006, 03:12 PM
A lot of the time, people would refuse to give me candy. :( Because I got driven into town for halloween. I sort of agree with those people, kids shouldn't get driven into a different place for halloween, they should walk around their neighbour hood. I would have to walk a long time though, because the closest house is about 30 miles away. :rolleyes: My dad would drop me and a friend off and we would walk around a little neighbourhood together. That was really fun. :)
Refused to give you candy!! That's horrible. :mad: I think anyway, I would never refuse any kid candy!

ramanth
09-26-2006, 03:13 PM
That's still vandalism and takes up valuable police time if they were to be called.

I know I wouldn't want to be cleaning up TP out of my yard. :( :mad:

As for trick or treating itself, the last time I went was in college. None of us had younger siblings or relatives that we could take, so we dressed up in elaborate costumes and hit a few neighborhoods close to the campus. We were polite, always let children go up to the door first, recieved compliments and few pieces of candy. A lot of people loved our costumes. Then one elderly couple threatened to call the police on us. A few parents with kids who had been walking with us tried sticking up for us, but they weren't hearing any of it.

So we called it a night.

What's the difference if a kind adult goes around in a nice costume compared to a parent that takes their newborn infant? Is the kid going to remember any of it or eat the candy?

I really dislike being told I'm too old to trick or treat. Come Halloween, all my options are is the bar scene. Blah! (And my place is too small to host a decent party)

wolf_Q
09-26-2006, 03:35 PM

Uhh people still have to clean that up, which is not fun. Can't you have fun that doesn't involve making a mess of people's yards/houses?

I haven't been trick or treating in a long time. Maybe since grade school? Junior High at the latest, I'm not sure. I haven't dressed up for Halloween since then either. I hate handing out candy to the kids the schnauzers bark at the door and its just rather annoying to me honestly. Ok, so I do enjoy dressing up Nebo and taking him to the dog halloween parties, that's about all I do for Halloween! How pathetic is that? :o

k9krazee
09-26-2006, 03:40 PM
I haven't been trick or treating in ages! I usually walk with my family though when my little cousins and sister go, but I doubt I'll even be going home this year. I have dressed up every year though for school, only because I enjoy being one of the few that do :D

I may dress up just for fun, and I'm sure I could find a few crazy parties if I wanted :rolleyes:

Vela
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Uhh people still have to clean that up, which is not fun. Can't you have fun that doesn't involve making a mess of people's yards/houses?

I own my home and my cars and I work hard for them. I don't feel like cleaning up after people who ought to know better. I have a husband with a degenerative neurological condition, work two jobs, and spend most of my time as a single parent to 3 kids and taking care of his needs, not to mention my house and pets. I sure as **** don't have time to clean up that kind of mess and you ought to think about the people that have to clean up after your stupid crap. Things like that infuriate me because those who do it don't think about the consequenes to others, even if it is just spending time cleaning up, not everyone has the time and often those things can ruin other's property. Kids like you piss me off. No respect for other people's property and things.

To all of you who have something fun planned, I hope you enjoy it! I am taking my kids bowling I think, in their costumes, not sure if we will trick-or-treat or not.

wolf_Q
09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Vela, you were talking about Lute, right? I agree with you, people work hard for their homes, they don't need people making a mess of them for "fun."

lv4dogs
09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
WELL said Vela!!!!!!

Zippy
09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
My brother went trick-or-treating with his friends once he was 13 and people refused to give him candy :rolleyes: i thought that was rude they said he didn't have costume he was a statebourder,his friend was a theif,and his other friend i think was a ghost.One person yelled and said they costums were not costumes becasue they were hand made.My brothers friend said they were to poor to get real costumes I also died laughing.

dogzr#1
09-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I haven't gone trick-or-treating in about 4 years. Last time I went, I was about 9 or so. My parents have never been to fond of dressing up etc. nor was I. I was also too shy to tell someone trick-or-treat. We haven't celebrated Halloween in years either. My mom thinks it celebrates the devil, and I think the same. I mainly did it for the candy when I was little, but now I feel to mature for that, even if I am only 13.

As for Lute. I think it is incredibly immature for an 18 year old to throw toilet paper on someone's house. If my house (or I should say parents' house), got TPed I know I would be extremely mad, but then if I found out that it was done by an 18 year old, I would probably think the worst of you. You may think it's fun/funny to do so, but I'll tell you, you should TP your own house and see how fun it is to clean up. Luckily for us we have never had our house TPed, but I know it would be a pain in the behind to get ladders etc. to get the toilet paper off my trees and possibly roof. It seems that even I have more maturity(sp?) than you do. Now, I know you think it's fun and all, but just please, take into consideration what the owner of that house has to do to pay for your 'fun'.

Vela
09-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Yes I was talking about Lute hehe, sorry I was agreeing with waht you had said and then I thought about it while typing and got really mad about it=x Maybe I shouldn't have but i really am tired of young adults who act like idiots and ruin or harm others or their property for kicks. It's just really upsetting when it's your stuff that gets ruined, might seem like fun and games but I have had a car ruined by egging, have had to pluck toilet paper from my trees and bushes after it got watered in, and the amoutn of work to get stuff like that off is hard work. I just let it get the best of me LOL. Sorry Wolf-Q if you thought I was talking to you=)

animal_rescue
09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
YES! At 16 I definitely will still be trick or treating. However My 10 year old sister , 10 year old cousin, 8 year old cousin, 4 year old sister, and 3 year old cousin will tag along as well. I won't dress up but I plan on bring Roxie and dressing her up. :D

I_luv_rusty
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes I plan on going trick-or-treating...

As for the TPing peoples house, maybe I should could over to Indiana (If i'm correct on where you live) and TP your house that'd be lots of fun huh? :rolleyes: Cleaning up all the mess, getting ladders to get it out of the trees,if it rains before you can get it out.. trying to get it off once it is "glued" on, that'd be a heck of a day huh?!! Put yourself in their place, would you want to be the person cleaning it up. ;) Think about that, hope you make the right choice and don't do that.If you do hope the police find you, good luck... have fun at the police station then it'll be seriously fun right? And good for you if you don't do it, then you'll seem a little mature then what you type.

Kfamr
09-26-2006, 06:10 PM
If someone asks me to take their kid, I am getting candy too!
I usually take one of the dogs with me and dress them up - people get a real kick out of it.

As for lute, I agree 100% with Vela. Well said, like usual. Hopefully stupid kids will get what's coming to them.

Husky15
09-26-2006, 06:19 PM
as for everyone else. i'm not saying it's "cool" to hide from police. i didn't mean for it to sound like that. i live in the sticks. it's like living in Mayberry. there is NOTHING to do here other than hang out in the Dollar General parking lot and muddin. that's just what ya do around here. i'm sorry ya'll think i'm inmature and what not. i do have responsabilities. i just don't share them. i only share what i do for fun. my friends are good friends. we're just a bunch of hillbillies. :p

I know you're addressing me when you speak of how you don't think it's "cool". I don't want to seem like I'm coming down so hard on you, but toilet papering someone's house is very immature. You may think it's fun but it most certainly is not for the owners of the house. How about you spend a whole day picking up toilet paper from your yard and from your trees and roof.

lizbud
09-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Just wanted to say that I'm amazed at that some one old enough to
post in PT would actually expect folks to give them candy for knocking
on their doors trick or treeting. :confused:

Alysser
09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that you actually think riding home in a police car is fun. I know for sure that YOU would not like cleaning up toilet paper in a tree, especially a tall one, which you would need a ladder to get to. Someone could get hurt climbing up that high. So techinally you could be indirectly hurting people. That in my opinion, is really rude of you to do and if you get caught don't complain that you have to clean it up. My dad said if he catches anyone doing this stuff to our house they will be cleaning it up. ;)

I also agree with Vela, she is always right! :)

moosmom
09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Again, I say...

OH GROW UP!!!!!

And before you go saying anything about me going bar hopping in costume, let me say that at least MY adventures were harmless (because I don't drink and am always the designated driver) and didn't involve the police.

Nuff said.

dukedogsmom
09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey, if you like riding in a patrol car, you might even like jail better! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll make it there. And remember, you're not underaged so no special treatment.

IRescue452
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Me and Autumn dress up. I always get Autumn a new costume. If I'm home for halloween I pass out candy or I take my sisters out far and wide after my mom takes them within a few block range. The only candy I get is whatever we have leftover or what I buy. I'm an adult but I still stock up on tiger pops for myself. My little sisters still have candy leftover from years ago. It seems that my generation didn't inherit a sweet tooth, we'd rather have veggies and dip.

moosmom
09-26-2006, 09:17 PM
It seems that my generation didn't inherit a sweet tooth, we'd rather have veggies and dip.

I don't have as much of a sweet tooth as I used to. I'm with you, IRescue, I'd rather sit in front of tv with a bowl of baby carrots and ranch dip, although I do occasionally get a hankering for chocolate now and then. ;)

Growing up, we'd go out (my older brother and myself) and bring back tons of candy. My father would allow us to eat as much as we could for, not sure how long a period of time, then it was getting thrown away. :( I would pig out. My brother on the otherhand, would stash his stuff and it would last forever (unless I found out where his hiding place was, then it was a free-for-all). :p Hey, at least big brothers are good for something, right??

Karen
09-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I would eat a few pieces Halloween night, then find a calendar and figure how many days it was until Thanksgiving, and ration my stash to last until then. When I was in college, I lived with a single mom and her daughter, and the little girl DIDN'T LIKE Reeses Peanut Butter cups, which were always coveted at my house. She'd just hand them over to me, to my shock!