PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help/Advice Needed about Tama

neko1
09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi all,
I know it's been awhile and I'm sure most of you do not know who I am but I'm asking for some advice regarding my abyssinian Tama.

After my divorce in April, the house was sold and myself, Neko and Tama went to live with my mother. Cookie and Pumpkin went to live with my ex.

Ever since I have moved (it's been about 5 months now) Tama has done nothing but chew his fur out to the point that he has red, oozing sores.

He's been to the vet at least twice a month for the past 3 months for this. I've spent over $1,000.00 so far and have had every test known in the universe done to see what the problem is- and everything has come back normal. I've been treating him for mange, fleas and every other skin problem that he also doesn't have in hopes of finding some relief for him.

My vet seems to think it may be Psychogenic Alopecia. Due to the change of environment, and subtraction of a family member.

The worst problem is that he vomits constantly- at least 3 times a day. My mother is not going to put up with that much longer. We've gotten into numerous arguments about it and there's no telling what she'll do when I'm not there (like tossing him outside or putting him in a shelter).

All in all, it's her house, her rules, I'm just a tenant.

I'm at my wits end with this kitty and I don't know what to do anymore.

He's been on a few different anti-anxiety meds, herbal remedies, bitter apple doesn't work, neither does rescue remedy. Nothing is working!

My mom is either gonna kick me out or him if I don't do something soon!!

Catty1
09-25-2006, 08:47 AM
I think it IS behavioural, with all the changes he has been through.

Is there a room where he could be isolated for a while? Not FROM everyone, but just restricted to one room with food and box so he doesn't feel overwhelmed by the whole new space?

If that can be your bedroom, then he is closer to you...this kitty needs a TON of reassurance.

Catnapper - and others - have used a psychic called Nancy who is inexpensive and wonderful. You might PM her for the information.

HUGS!

ramanth
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm so sorry this is happening. :( :(

It definitely sounds like stress. Poor guy. Have you tried Feliway? It helped calm Logan after I captured him.

I'd also second a call to Nancy. She's great! :)

jenluckenbach
09-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Oh my, his poor world has changed and now the added stress of grandma being mad at him. :(

If you have done all the treatments for possible physical problems, than I too would say it is stress related over grooming. And of course, with all that grooming, hairballs (and vomiting) is to be expected.

Was Tama bonded with one of the 2 kitties that are no longer with you?
Does your mom have any animals that Tama might not like?

Among your treatments for anxiety, have you tried stronger medicine than herbals?

Do you think you could confine him to your own room? Maybe he needs to "start over" getting used to a new place just a little at a time?

I am so sorry this is happening to you both. Maybe someone else has more practical experience with this problem.

neko1
09-25-2006, 09:05 AM
We don't have any other animals in the house as my mom actually doesn't like animals..sigh.

I could keep Tama downstairs in the foyer, but 1. it's all tile and cold 2. it's a small space and 3. Neko would have to live down there too because that's where the litterboxes are and my mom refuses to have the boxes anywhere else. It's just not fair to Neko to go through that-the poor cat's 10 years old- he needs better.

I can't keep Tama in my bedroom because my mom will not allow litterboxes up their. I keep Tama in my room with me until I go to bed, but that still doesn't work.

Tama has been on human anti-anxiety medication that my vet gave me prescriptions for- I actually had to get them filled at Eckerd. Even that doesn't seem to work.

The only other thing that my vet suggested is a depo shot- I gave him one once but the effect only lasted about a week. And the lovely part is that Tama could become diebetic as a result of the shot and his chances of becoming diabetic will increase with each shot.

The other kitties he previously lived with were not really bonded with him. So I cannot say that he really misses them- Cookie used to beat him up and growl and hiss at him all the time!

I've already given up so much this past year and had to let 2 kitties go. I just wish things would get better instead of getting worse...

neko1
09-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he doesn't vomit hairballs- he vomits up his food.

He just repeatedly licks the places where his hair used to be- just licking and licking the raw and irritated skin.

And he does it right in front of us, he does when we're not there...he just can't stop. There's gotta be something wrong with his brain.

catmandu
09-25-2006, 09:59 AM
We are sorry to hear about Tama.
Hes been through a lot.
The Found Cats and I praying that our friend Tama will be all right.

Sonia59
09-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I remember you. I am sorry I have no good advice at all but I am sure you will have plenty from the others. I just wanted to say a little word for the support because it should be a very difficult situation with your mother who does not like animals :( We are crossing paws and fingers that the situation improves and that nothing bad happens to you and Tama.

neko1
09-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I just feel that if I had my own place, I could work with him so much easier. But it will be awhile before that happens.

I can't even board Tama until I would be able to move because I'm on a fixed income. And anyway, who would keep a vomiting cat for me- no one.

I think right now we are all on our breaking points. We've been dealing with the situation for 5 months now and it's not getting any better, only worse.

I fear for the worst...

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-25-2006, 11:15 AM
If you have tried all those things, I am afraid it will very hard to cure Tama. I am so sorry for you! First your devorce, then give up 2 cats, and now this with Tama...
Big hugs to you!!

Sonia59
09-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Is Tama alone the whole day in the house?

I don't understand why your mother doesn't want a litterbox in your room, and instead, "prefers" the vomiting through the whole house :confused:

Karen
09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Would she consent to a litterbox in your room if it's a covered box, so she doesn't have to see it?

krazyaboutkatz
09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I wish I had some good advice but I don't. It does sound like it's behavioral to me though. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that everything will work out. Please continue to keep us updated.

Catty1
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Poor Tama will also pick up on your stress, and the stress in the house.

Ask your mom about the covered box in your room, until he is better.

I like the 'box in your room versus puke all over the house'

Try it for, say, a month if you can agree on that.

I hope you can get your own place soon!

jenluckenbach
09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I would keep Tama!!! But would he be even MORE stressed here?

Have you consulted more than 1 vet? Maybe another would have a different suggestion.

catnapper
09-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Have you by chance changed their food, OR has the manufacturer changed their formula to make it "new and improved"? It could be possible that the stress of moving is coincidental with an allergic reaction to his food. Has he been checked for allergies (I'm sure you tested a lot in that $1,000 worth of vet care)

Sigh, I don't know what it could be other than intense stress. Pouncer wants to know if you tried valium - it made a HUGE difference in him.

neko1
09-25-2006, 02:22 PM
He's been eating the same food, no change in formula's or anything. Even tried him on z/d for awhile but then he stopped eating that so we went back to his old food.

The vet that he and Neko go to is the best (and coincidentally the most expensive) in the area. I know the other vets in the area and am not 100% sure about them.

His new medication that should be arriving from the pharmacy in about a week is chlonipramine (sp?). I doubt it will work....

Thank you all for your suggestions and well wishes. I really appreciate it :)