PDA

View Full Version : I was fired, today.

Sevaede
09-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Yup, at the very end of the day (fifteen minutes before closing). The situation was like this:

Tammy(asst manager): I need to talk to you. :)
Angelique: Okay, what about? :)
Tammy: I am gonna have to let you go, it's just not working out.
Angelique: ... What? Why?
Tammy: Because we're too busy and things like that.

I am shocked. I feel kind of used because they waited until the END of the day, after I had worked, to fire me. It seems fishy to me, though.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Catty1
09-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Ummm....could get a better explanation from the MANAGER????

If they are BUSY - then they NEED more help, right?

Or are they too busy to "train" you?

I don't buy this explanation for a moment.

Soon I hope you will have a job with a less fickle and wishy-washy manager! :mad:

dukedogsmom
09-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a lame and very vague excuse to me. I would ask them to elaborate at just what you weren't doing right or what seemed to make you too busy. And it was very tacky of them to wait until the end of the day like that. Like they weren't adult enough to just deal with it.

shais_mom
09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
yea that sounds fishy - where is it you were working?

Sevaede
09-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Ummm....could get a better explanation from the MANAGER????

If they are BUSY - then they NEED more help, right?

Or are they too busy to "train" you?

I don't buy this explanation for a moment.

Soon I hope you will have a job with a less fickle and wishy-washy manager! :mad:

I will definitely be giving the store a ring tomorrow to talk to the manager and, probably, owner.

There wasn't really any training. They just told me what to do and let me go at it. heh.

I don't know what idea to really form around it. It's all just so odd because this whole time they were continuously telling me how good that I was doing and even citing specific incidents, etc.

You know what's even funnier? They just hired two new girls. How... aggravating and questionable! :mad:

Thank you! :) I hope so, very much. I am going to apply at US Support tonight. Hopefully something will come of that! :)

Sevaede
09-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Sounds like a lame and very vague excuse to me. I would ask them to elaborate at just what you weren't doing right or what seemed to make you too busy. And it was very tacky of them to wait until the end of the day like that. Like they weren't adult enough to just deal with it.

I agree. It felt like they were going "hey, we don't want you but we want to take whatever we can for as long as possible!".

I am just really confused about all of this. Hopefully, it gets sorted out. :D

Sevaede
09-24-2006, 11:54 PM
yea that sounds fishy - where is it you were working?

A locally owned, small, pet store by the name of The Pet Zone.

cyber-sibes
09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
:( what a bummer. That doesn't seem like much of a "reason", but I've been let go because "it's just not working out" too. Three years later I still don't know for sure what they meant. :confused: Just trust there is a better job waiting for you. :)

Daisy and Delilah
09-25-2006, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry you got fired. It sounds like they may have gotten rid of you to move someone else in that was maybe a friend of a friend of a friend... It would stand to reason, since they just hired two new girls after telling you how good you were doing. I would definitely ask for the exact reasons you were let go. You're entitled to a decent explanation. Good luck. I hope you find something else soon that you like.

Freckles
09-25-2006, 08:05 AM
How long did you work there?

Hmmm, I checked your previous thread and you started there about the 9th of Sept.

mina'smomma
09-25-2006, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=Wenisrubber]Tammy: I am gonna have to let you go, it's just not working out.
Angelique: ... What? Why?
Tammy: Because we're too busy and things like that.

QUOTE]

I would say talk to a manager and get a straight answer. They can't just let you go without any specific reason. This sounds way to fishy.

Kirsten
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry! :(

The entire thing sounds strange to me, the reason she gave you doesn't make any sense at all. I would definitely talk to the manager. For how long have you been working there?

Kirsten

CultureJunky
09-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear you've lost your job, fingers crossed you find a new one at a better place with a less ambiguous employer!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm so sorry! I hope you find something better soon!

moosmom
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Being an EXPERT in getting fired, believe me, they ALWAYS wait till the end of the day on Friday, to get every last ounce of work outta you.

I'm so sorry you got fired. First thing outta my mouth would've been "What is not working out??? Be more specific!!"

Company's these days are *expletive delitives* (can't way what I really feel on this board as it's a family site). Their bottom line is the almighty $$$$$$.

(((((HUGS))))) to you Wenisrubber. I hope you find something soon.

lute
09-25-2006, 12:06 PM
that is weird. sorry you lost your job. i was fired from my job and then they called me back a week later asking me when i could work again. maybe they'll ask you back.

catnapper
09-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear that. I know what it feels like ot be unemployed too. Good luck in trying to find out what REALLY happened!

Miss Z
09-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Hmm, they sound like very odd circumstances to fire someone. :confused:

I bet you could get a claim for unfair dismissal easily from that, people get them for far worse, believe me! Whatever happens from now, I hope you can settle into a job that will suit you perfectly! :)

Edwina's Secretary
09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=mina'smommaI would say talk to a manager and get a straight answer. They can't just let you go without any specific reason. [/QUOTE]

Yes they can. There is no obligation to give you a reason.

I am very sorry the way this was handled. Good luck to you.

areias
09-26-2006, 07:36 AM
You could probably sue them if you felt like it, and get your job back. You could make a huge stink and get it back, call corporate and managers and get all documentation of getting fired, disciplinary reports, etc.

Cataholic
09-26-2006, 08:00 AM
You can't sue them, you can't collect for unemployment, etc. Sure, it wasn't a 'nice' way to let someone go, but, find out why. If only to see if there was something in your presentment that made a difference.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes they can. There is no obligation to give you a reason.

I am very sorry the way this was handled. Good luck to you.
Yes, sadly most employers are "at will," meaning they can let you go for anything. I hope they give you a satisfactory answer and that something better comes along!

shais_mom
09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
You could probably sue them if you felt like it, and get your job back. You could make a huge stink and get it back, call corporate and managers and get all documentation of getting fired, disciplinary reports, etc.
if she's been there less then "x" number of days they don't have to have a reason to let her go.
And our Lawyer friend said that she couldn't either. ;)
And in today's "sue me" society its rather surprising. I mean you can sue for coffee being hot and ice cream being cold. :rolleyes:

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
First off, I wouldn't take their " No reason for dismissal" as a personal remark on your job performance. And , I'm very sorry that this employer overlooked you the way they did.

I'm sure that a better , more rewarding job , is on the way!!!! ;)

Logan
09-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Sounds like it is time to move on, and also do some self-evalutation, which requires being quite humble, I guess. I've been there and done that, in the past, and there is probably something there that you just don't realize or block out. I'm sure you will find a perfect position in time. I hope so!!! :)