PDA

View Full Version : Dog Grooming??

Zippy
09-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I know that there are some dog groomers at PT.I am thinking about it and wondering if anyone has any points or any info you can give me.

areias
09-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Hmm, as going to school to become a groomer, or sending your dog to the groomer? :)

Zippy
09-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Becoming a professional groomer

jenluckenbach
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
The very, very best thing you can do is to get a job in a grooming salon as a bather (before you spend money on a school). Most shops will teach you the basics (and more, over time). You really need to KNOW whether or not this is what you want to (and are able to) do.

It is VERY hard, tiring, tedious, strenuous work. It is hard on your body and can be hard on your nerves as well.

Over the decades that I have worked in this job I have seen litterally dozens of "would-be groomers" start the job of bathing only to quit after less than a week. they find out that they actually have to WORK. That it is NOT an easy way to make money and it is most certainly NOT "playing with the puppies".

So, find out about it by doing it, and then decide if you want to pursue schooling.

buttercup132
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
What questions do you want to be answered??

Heres a few pointers

You CANT be afraid of ANY dog
You have to respect every dog and understand them very well
You have to be nice to every dog even if you dont like them
You cant do a crappy job just cause the dog is giving up a fight
You WILL get bitten and scratched.
You will have to deal with "drama queen" dog who litrally scream in your ear if you do something they dont like
You have to be able to deal with dogs that are trying to jump out of the tub and jump all over you while your trying to get your job done
Sorry I'm just pointing out the bad things,the good things

You get to work with dogs all day
Sometimes your favorite breed:)
Theres tons of dogs that just want to give you some lovin
And when I'm done work anyways and waiting for people to pick up the dogs I get to play with them:D
It really is a GREAT job I love it and when they give me a day off I get grooming withdrawl lol.

Zippy
09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Thank you both for your help and infomation. :D I know it is not an easy no work sit down job.I know it wouldn't be when i started looking into it.
My favorite breeds are poodles,corgis,cavailers,and cockers.

buttercup132
09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I also suggest being a bather first.

Zippy
09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I also suggest being a bather first.

ok agian thank you both for the info

coco-bean
09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Zippy, i just started as a brusher/bather at petco and i do also plan to become a groomer! If you have any questions at any time, feel free to pm me!! I can try and help the best i can!!