PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy's Sick Please Send Prayers & Positive Thoughts Her Way

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi, last night Ziggy didn't want to eat but she was very thirsty. I tried feeding her again later and she did eat some but not as much as she normally does. I just figured it was because she's still recovering from her spay. This morning she wouldn't eat at all and would only drink.:( She had also done some mushy poos in her litterbox. I tried again later but she wouldn't eat or drink and she had diarrhea in her litterbox this time and she had also thrown up some white foamy stuff.:(

I called my vet right away and got an appointment for 11:40am. The vet said that she's running a low grade fever and that she probably picked up some kind of an intestional flu bug.:( My other cats should be safe since they're all up to date on their vaccines and are older. She on amoxicillin tablets 2 times a day for the next 7 days. He was going to give me liquid but I prefer tablets because they're less messy. Boy was she hard to pill. At least she's wearing her e-collar so this helps. She still didn't want anything to eat to drink. If she still hasn't improved in 3 days then she has to be seen again. Please send prayers and positive thoughts her way. Thanks in advance.

Catty1
09-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Poor little girl! Hopefully the antibiotics will cure her fever and get rid of that nasty bug!

Hugs to that sweetheart - get well soon, Ziggy! :)

Zippy
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Ziggy you are in my prayers.get well soon.

Randi
09-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Poor Ziggy, I hope she'll get better soon! Hopefully she'll be easier to pill as the days go by. :)

Give her scritchies and kisses from me.

K & L
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
I just hate hearing this. Do you think she picked up something at the Humane Society? She doesn't have an infection does she? Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in real quick. Get better little Ziggy!

Killearn Kitties
09-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Aww sweetheart! You take those pills and get better soon! We will all have our paws crossed here. :(

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I just hate hearing this. Do you think she picked up something at the Humane Society? She doesn't have an infection does she? Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in real quick. Get better little Ziggy!
Yes, she probably did pick something up at the Humane Society since her spay may have caused her immune system to become weaker.:( This is why she needed at least 2 FVRCP booster shots before her spay which she did receive.The people at the Humane Society said to watch out for her possibly getting an URI but she doesn't have this.The vet said it's probably being caused by some form of the corona virus. I sure hope that pills will do the trick. Her incision looks wonderful and the vet was amazed that her spay had only been done on Friday. I'll continue to keep you updated about her.

momcat
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Prayers are being prayed for sweet Ziggy

jenluckenbach
09-24-2006, 04:02 PM
It pains me to hear that our sweet little Ziggy is feeling under the weather. :(

Get better quickly little girl. PLEASE!

gini
09-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Tracey - I hope Ziggy will soon be back to her normal self. How upsetting for you!

AbbyMom
09-24-2006, 04:22 PM
OH NO! Prayers for a speedy recovery.

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks again everyone this really means a lot to me.:) I was able to get her to eat a little wet food and she drank more water too.:) I told the vet that I thought that she may have a sore throat due to the anesthesia and he said that she might. Maybe this is one reason why she has stopped eating her dry food. I just hope that she'll continue to eat and drink for me so that the antibiotics will have a chance to kick in and then she'll be begin to feel better and eat normally again. Thanks again.:)

kimlovescats
09-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Oh no, poor baby!!! I'm glad you were able to get her right to the vet! Glad to hear she is starting to eat again for you! Please keep us updated on her and give her baby kitty loves for me! ;)

kitten645
09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Get better soon Ziggy :( Here's a pic of your namesake with a "modified" conehead! http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/missmeow645/Bowie.jpg

Craftlady
09-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Glad she is on the road to recovery :)
It's hard seeing our fur babies not feeling well.

G535
09-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Fingers and claws crossed here for little Ziggy. :)

Freedom
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
If I read this right, you got a vet appointment on a Sunday? Wow! That is great!

Hope the antibiotics kick in real fast. And a little rice helps with the loose stools. Get well Ziggy!

rosethecopycat
09-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Good thoughts for little Ziggy. What a rough week.
Do you A/D for syringe feeding?
I start if a cat doesn't eat for 24hrs. Just extra calories and energy, while the antibiotics kick in.

Edwina's Secretary
09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Ziggy girl! Get well.....you are way too cute to be sick!

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
If I read this right, you got a vet appointment on a Sunday? Wow! That is great!

Hope the antibiotics kick in real fast. And a little rice helps with the loose stools. Get well Ziggy!
Yes, I'm very lucky to have a veterinary hospital that is open 7 days a week. They're still only open until 5pm on Sat. and 4pm on Sun. but it sure does help. They're also only about 5-10 minutes away from me.:)

Ziggy is still only eating some wet food. I tried mixing in some of her dry kitten food but she just licked the wet off it and left it.:( The wet food I'm feeding to her is Storm's Royal Canin Urinary S/O which is the only wet food that I have on hand. Luckily she's still drinking plenty of water on her own. I hope that by tomorrow she'll be able to eat some of her dry food. Thanks again for all of your concerns.

Thanks for reminding me Rosethecopycat.:) I just happen to have 2 cans of A/D that I bought last year for Pearl and never had to use. It's still good until Dec.2006 so I'll try some of this later on tonight. I'm sure she'll love it.:)

jazzcat
09-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Feel better soon little Ziggy. Prayers and good thoughts on the way.

shais_mom
09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
poor thing -
hope she feels better soon!

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Poor Ziggy....., get well soon, little girl :)
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20915%20cat_in_bed.gif

K & L
09-25-2006, 05:19 AM
How's Ziggy doing? Maybe get her some wet food until she has the appetite for dry? At least she would get good nutrition this way, plus the fact something would be on her stomach while taking antibiotics. I'm worried for her, but know she's in excellent hands.

krazyaboutkatz
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
I wish that I had a better update to give you but I don't.:( Sometime during the night Ziggy threw up some of the wet food that she had eaten and also did more mushy poos.:( I hope that she was able to keep her antibiotic pill down because I didn't see it any where.

This morning she drank a little water and ate a couple of dry crunchies and a small amount of A/D wet food but wasn't very interested in anything.:( I tried again a few hours later but could only get her to eat a small biteful of wet. Then I gave her the pill which I hope she'll be able to keep down. She seems very alert and is purring but will rest in her bed when she's in her cage. I hope that her appetite will be much better tonight.

I called the Humane Society to let them know what's happening and so far they haven't heard of any other kittens with these symptoms but they'll look into it. The lady said that they do put a tube down them so she may have a sore throat and sometimes stress will cause them to have runny poos. I sure hope that she'll start improving soon. Please continue with lots of prayers and positive thougths. Thanks.

Killearn Kitties
09-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Poor baby. :( I hope she perks up soon. Please give her a little snuggle from me.

K & L
09-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I sure hope all is OK. What does your vet have to say about it? Is this a normal thing that can happen? We've never encountered anything like this before. It does worry me.

jazzcat
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Oh Tracey, I was hoping for a better update. Poor little Ziggy. I sure hope she can keep her antibiotics down. Remember that can cause runny poos too but if she's just now starting them that isn't the cause yet.

Prayers on the way.

Lizzie
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
This is very frustrating and scary for you, and distressing to see her in some discomfort. Have you tried yogurt? It helps with digestive upsets, especially loose stools, and is particularly helpful when a cat is on antibiotics. I use the full fat version (plain, of course) since my cats are far more attracted to it than with any fat reduced version. I hope that she starts to get better soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I was hoping for a happy update too.... :(
What does your vet advize you to do? Just watch her and wait? What if she doesn't keep does pills in?

Donnaj4962
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear that sweet little Ziggy Stardust isn't feeling well. I am sending lots of prayers from Indiana for her to get well soon!

She is so precious! Please keep us posted on her prognosis! (((hugs))) for worried Meowmie also!

K & L
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
How's Ziggy doing?

Dorothy39
09-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Just caught this thread in Cat General~~~

I sure do hope that Ziggy gets to feeling better, it's got to be just as hard on Mom too!!!!!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks again everyone.:) Ziggy is still not wanting to eat on her own so I now have to start force feeding her.:( I've done this before with my RB Pepper so I have some experience. I gave her a large syringe full of water and A/D mixed together at around 7:15pm and then put her back in her cage so she could rest. I don't want to try to give her too much all at once because I want her to keep what little I can give her down.

I then gave her the antibiotic pill at 9pm and then gave her another syringe full of A/D and water mixture. I think that she got more of it on her than in her. She was also able to drink some water for me earlier so she's not dehydrated. She hadn't used her litterbox or thrown up during the day but she ate and drank very little this morning.:( I'm waiting to see how she reacts to the food I've given her before giving her any more. I also hope that she'll be able to keep the pill down.

The vet that I saw on Sunday said that if she didn't improve in 3 days that she should be seen again. I don't think that I can wait 3 days. I'm becoming a nervous wreck and all I do is think about her all day while I'm at work.:( If she's still like this tomorrow morning, I'm going to call the vets and let them that there's no improvement and ask them what to do next. They'll probably tell me to bring her on in. Please continue to say prayers and send positive thoughts her way.

I also noticed that Pearl wasn't acting like herself this evening. I hope that it's just the heat and nothing more. She barely ate her dinner and then when I was giving everyone their greenie treats, which are her favorite, she was sleeping and I had to get her attention. She ate them very slowly which is very unlike her and couldn't even finish them. Then she went back to sleep. I sure hope that she's not getting sick too.:( She's the one that always reminds me to feed them the greenies and she's also usually running around and bouncing off the walls chirping away. She's always very active. This is why I'm worried about her. Prayers for her wouldn't hurt either. Thanks. I hope that tomorroww will be a better day.

shais_mom
09-26-2006, 12:05 AM
thoughts and prayers on the way for both kitties and you too!

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Oh, I certainly hope it is a better day too!!!

Prayers are Powerful ~~~~ I will keep you and your kitties in mine!!!!~~~

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks again.:)

jazzcat
09-26-2006, 12:28 AM
I'll be keeping your girls in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope Ziggy makes a turn around soon.

jenluckenbach
09-26-2006, 05:09 AM
POOR Ziggy!! :( It makes me so sad to think of her not feeling well.

I hope today brings a better day for her.

dukedogsmom
09-26-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm so sorry! I'm in the same boat with Duke over not eating. I hope you can find out what's going on and that Ziggy is well soon. I, too, worry while I'm at work. Got to leave work here in about 30 minutes, pick Duke up and take him back to the vet. PM me if you want to talk.

K & L
09-26-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm with you, back to the vet I'd go! This isn't normal after a surgery so I would sure be aggressive about vet visits. I know Ziggy and Pearl are in good hands and you'll do what is necessary to get them well. I sure was hoping to read things were going much better. :(

ramanth
09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Poor Ziggy. :( I hope the vets can get to the bottom of what's bothering her.

Donnaj4962
09-26-2006, 08:54 AM
More prayers coming for Ziggy to get better soon.... and some additional ones for little Pearl as well. Hope everyone is soon feeling better and back to their normal selves. (((hugs))) to Meowmie also! PLease keep us posted!

trayi52
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Lots of good thoughts and prayers for yours girls coming your way. I hope today, sees them getting better, and you feeling better too.

Willie

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Ziggy is still the same so I called the vet and I'm taking her there at 9:20am this morning. I sure hope that they'll be able to figure out what's wrong with her.:( When I was there on Sunday the vet mentioned that if she's not better that she may need some blood work done. I sure hope that she doesn't have any kind of underlying illness.:(

The good news is that she didn't thow up and didn't have any more diarrhea but she hasn't used her litterbox at all since Sunday or early Monday morning. Her little body must be using up all of what little food she's getting. :( I force fed her again but I really think that more of it is going on her than in her at this point. She's being such a good little girl though.

Pearl seems to be some what back to normal. I had to add a little wet food with her dry to get her to eat more of it but she still didn't finish it. She was howling for food like she usually does so this is a good sign.:) I think the heat has gotten to her so I'm sure she'll be fine.:)

Poor Starr has lost his little play buddy and has been sitting outside of Ziggy's cage like he's visiting a sick friend. I know he's confused and a little bit stressed over what's going on. I just want my furkids back to normal again and for this nightmare to end. Thanks for all of your concerns and please keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming. I'll try to update you when I can.

Beauty17
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
We send prayers.

Logan
09-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry that you have so many worries right now with Ziggy and with Pearl. I hope both of those precious little ones will be better soon.

You will all be in my prayers.

Logan

jenluckenbach
09-26-2006, 12:20 PM
sending more prayers while I wait for an update/

Catty1
09-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Prayers and hugs....poor wittle girl...I hope Pearl didn't catch what Ziggy has. Hope it is treatable and they are both better soon!

gini
09-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Tracey, still thinking about you with the hopes that we have good news today!

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Prayers and Postive thoughts for your Little Ziggy Stardusts' Recovery.

I sure do hope your furr family gets back to normal soon!!!!

Donnaj4962
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Just checking in to see if there are any more uppidates on little Ziggy and Pearl.

Glad to hear that pearl is somewhat better.... and hope that the vet visit will help with Ziggy.

More prayers coming your way!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh no poor little Ziggy! :( I sure hope they can find out what's wrong. Hopefully it's just a reaction to something or a minor cold or something she caught at the vet's office.

Come on little Ziggy! You have to get better, your big brother Starr misses you so bad!

Don Juan's mom
09-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Poor, poor baby! I imagine the stress of the surgery and being away from her home made her more susceptible to illness. Please baby Ziggy, drink your water and don't give mom a hard time with the medicine-- it's supposed to help you feel better!

Liz

Abby&Buddy'sMom
09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that little Ziggy is not well. :( Poor little girl (and meowmie too) Hopefully we will get a good update here real soon.

Get better Ziggy....Starr wants to play!!

kimlovescats
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh Tracey, I am hoping for a good news update soon!!!! Get well, little Ziggy!!! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi, Ziggy spent the day at the vets so they could monitor her and give her some sub-q fluids. Her temp was 104.4 this morning and had been 102.2 on Sunday so I'm so glad that I took her in. The vet said that she was very active and climbing her cage so I know she's starting to feel better.:) Her temp is also now normal which is fantastic news.:D

The vet decided to also deworm her just to be safe and she's also now on metronidazole 2 times a day until it's gone as well as the amoxicillin that she's already taking. She ate some dry food when I got home and drank a little bit and is so much more active now too.:) She's already messed up her cage by being so active so I know she's feeling so much better.:) She did go diarrhea in her litterbox:( but this could also be a side effect from the deworming and I hope that the meds will help this in time.

The vet said to let her eat as much as she wants and to try to let her eat on her own which I hope that she'll continue to do. Thanks again for all of your concerns and prayers.:) I sure hope that she's now on the road to recovery. I also think that Pearl's back to normal now too.:)

jazzcat
09-26-2006, 09:04 PM
That is a good update. I'm so glad she and Pearl are feeling better. Good thing you took her in today.

Keep feeling better little Ziggy.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh YAY! I am so glad miss Ziggy is feeling better. And the diarrhea probably is a side effect of the dewormer. Mine had it too this morning.
Prayers will continue for your beautiful girl.
How is Pearl? Is she doing any better as well?

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh YAY! I am so glad miss Ziggy is feeling better. And the diarrhea probably is a side effect of the dewormer. Mine had it too this morning.
Prayers will continue for your beautiful girl.
How is Pearl? Is she doing any better as well?
This is good to know. Thanks.:) Pearl seems to be much perkier but I still have to feed her some dinner so I'll see how she eats. Sometimes she's a very picky eater and it's cooled down a lot more tonight so hopefully this will also help.:) Now I need to go feed my furkids. Thanks again everyone.:)

AbbyMom
09-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm so glad she's feeling better. Pearl, too. I was wondering and worrying about them all day. Thanks for the update.

K & L
09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Whewww I just got off the phone with Tracey and what a scare little Ziggy was giving us. I hope to keep reading continual progress on her! :) I knew she was in the best of hands! Thanks for taking such good care of her Tracey.

jenluckenbach
09-27-2006, 05:09 AM
I am glad that she is on the road to feeling better.

and just FYI....amoxy can also cause diarrhea, and often does.

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks again for all of the prayers and positive thoughts.:) Ziggy is continuing to do well. She's eating her dry food on her own and drinking some water. Her appetite still isn't quite normal but I'm sure she'll back to her old self in a few days.:) She didn't throw up or have any more diarrhea and only peed a small amount in her litterbox so her little body must have needed most of the sub-q fluids. She's also much more active and has been playing with a mouse that I put in her cage with her. It's now day 5 so she still has 5 more days to go before she can have the e-collar removed permanently. I hope that she'll continue to be a good girl and that she won't have any more health problems. Thanks again.:)

jazzcat
09-27-2006, 11:56 AM
That is such good news Tracey. I'm so glad these are good updates. Poor little Ziggy sure had all of us worried.

Killearn Kitties
09-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Thank heavens! I was really quite concerned about the little sweeties! I'm awfully glad to read this. :D

Sevaede
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Woohoo! Good to hear that you are relieved and that baby Ziggy butt is doing well! :D

RedHedd
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Aww poor little Ziggy. I'm glad to hear she's on the mend.

Dorothy39
09-27-2006, 01:05 PM
That's great news!!!! I hope Ziggy Stardust keeps feeling better and better !!!!

Donnaj4962
09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
GREAT NEWS! I am so glad to hear that everyone is on the mend! WHEW!

orangemm
09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
What a huge relief for you and for little Ziggy! She's feeling better and so are you; that is a lot of stress when one of our furbabies aren't feeling well.

You did the right things. Give her some scritches from me and the boys.

kimlovescats
09-27-2006, 09:25 PM
WONDERFUL news, Tracey! Your little girl had me worried! Give her some extra lovies from me please!

Kim :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Ziggy continues to do well. Thanks again for all of your concerns.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh Tracey, I'm so glad she's feeling better! Look out Starr, I think your little play buddy is back! :D

ChrisH
10-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Oh, Tracey, I only just seen this and so wasn't able to add my prayers for little Ziggy. :( Glad to hear she is doing so much better now. :) {{hugs}}

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Aww I am sooo happy that Ziggy is on the mend now!!

Barbara
10-01-2006, 07:20 AM
I have been away for a week and am so glad to hear Ziggy is better- what a scare that must have been.

Kirsten
10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry that I didn't see this earlier. What a scare poor Ziggy gave to you!!!
But I'm happy to read that she is doing better!! What a relief!! :)

Kirsten

krazyaboutkatz
10-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks again everyone.:) She's feeling so well that she's ready to break out of her cage and just wants to play,play,play!!!:) I let her out for a little while today and all of her siblings were following her around and sniffing her. Storm still thinks that she stinks so he's hissed at her a few times.Tomorrow evening she'll be able to roam free without her e-collar and hopefully things will get back to normal. I'll try to take some new pictures of her next weekend.:)

kimlovescats
10-01-2006, 06:05 PM
That's great! One day to FREEDOM!!! :D

jenluckenbach
10-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Thank heavens she feels so muh better. Miss Ziggy Stardust.....you are never to worry us all EVER again!!!!!!!

Uabassoon
10-01-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm so happy to hear that she is feeling better!

momtomany
10-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Of course, prayers and postive thoughts for Ziggy......

Logan
10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Such wonderful news, Tracey!!!! :)