PDA

View Full Version : pets-why they don't live as long as people story

Zippy
09-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I love this story and had to share.

Being a veterinarien,I had been called to examine a 10-year-old irish wolfhound named Belker.The dog's owners Ron,his wife lisa and there little boy Shane were all very attached to belker and they were hoping for a miracle.I examined belker and found he was dieing of cancer.I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker,and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements,Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for there 4-year-old son Shane to observe the procedure.They felt Shane could learn something form the experience.
The next day I felt the familiar catch in my throat as belkers family surrounded him.Shane seemed so calm,petting the old dog for one last time thati wondered if he understood what was going on.within minutes Belker slipped peacefully away.the little boy seemed to accept Belkers tranisiton without difficulty or confusion.
We sat together for a while and after belkers death,wondering aloud about the sad fact that animals lives are shorter than human lives.Shane who had been listening quietly piped up "I know why"
startled we all turned to him.what stunned me i'd never hard a more comforting explanation.
He said"Everbody is born so that they can learn how to live a good-life and like love everybody and being nice right?"the four-year-old continured"well animals already know how to do that so they don't have to stay as long"

mustlovedogs
09-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Aww, that brought tears to my eyes! Is this a true story? Thanks for sharing!

luvofallhorses
09-24-2006, 11:27 AM
I have read this before. It's beautiful and sad at the same time. :(

Dani,

I think it's true.

zoey
09-24-2006, 11:36 AM
That is true. So true.
Nice story, Zippy. Thanks.

moosmom
09-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Out of the mouths of babes! Thank you so much for sharing such a heart warming story.

Zippy
09-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Happy everone liked it.

Miss Z
09-24-2006, 12:35 PM
That's so beautiful, simply breath-taking. Thanks so much for sharing that brilliant story which warmed my heart today :)

Argranade
09-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Beautiful story! :)

Vette
09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Ive read that before,, but its always a joy to read again because its so true.

GreyhoundGirl
09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
A modern- day Shakesphere in the making. ;)

Thanks for sharing. :)

dukedogsmom
09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I just love that story. I still wish they could live so much longer for us. Getting attached to them can be so painful at times.