PDA

View Full Version : What shouldn't we feed your dog?

jagsjorge
09-22-2006, 01:24 PM
what cant we feed our dogs?

IRescue452
09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Cooked bones, grapes, raisons, onions, chocolate.

Zippy
09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
no coffee or soda pop i know they aren't food but thought i would add them

Husky15
09-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Wow, this thread has helped me as well. I didn't know grapes and onions were something one should not feed their dog. I never give Belle an onion because she won't accept them. But I had given her a couple grapes once and she threw up that night. And one time I dropped a grape without knowing it and she, of course, went and picked it up and was throwing up that night. So that explains it. They say not to give your dog chocolate because it's not good for them, but one time our dog got up and ate a dozen choclate cookies and four chocolate bars one night while we were out and she was just fine. So I think it's something some dogs can handle more then others. Pretty irresponsible of us but we never thought about putting stuff away because this was when we had Princess and Princess NEVER got into anything so it never crossed our mind to, but after that it certainly did. ;)

sumbirdy
09-22-2006, 02:36 PM
you shouldn't feed them an excessive amount of tomatoes either.

JenBKR
09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow, this thread has helped me as well. I didn't know grapes and onions were something one should not feed their dog. I never give Belle an onion because she won't accept them. But I had given her a couple grapes once and she threw up that night. And one time I dropped a grape without knowing it and she, of course, went and picked it up and was throwing up that night. So that explains it. They say not to give your dog chocolate because it's not good for them, but one time our dog got up and ate a dozen choclate cookies and four chocolate bars one night while we were out and she was just fine. So I think it's something some dogs can handle more then others. Pretty irresponsible of us but we never thought about putting stuff away because this was when we had Princess and Princess NEVER got into anything so it never crossed our mind to, but after that it certainly did. ;)

Oh yes grapes are poisonous to dogs. Chocolate can be too, but usually in larger amounts. I think that most people think that the littlest bite of chocolate will do them harm, but that's not necessarily true.

BC_MoM
09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Garlic is bad as well. So is some candy (although, I can't imagine why someone would feed their dog candy) because of a fake sugar put in it and gum.

LilacDragon
09-22-2006, 02:54 PM
The seeds in grapes are poisonous to dogs. As for chocolate, baking chocolate is the worst, then dark chocolate. Milk chocolate is not so bad depending on the amount of chocolate and the size of the dog.

Here is an excellent link that talks about the toxicity of chocolate and other things.

http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/TOXINS/dogs.htm

Here is a rather complete list:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/foods_potentially_poisonous_to_pets.html

Crazy-Cat-Lover
09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Here is a list of what you shouldn't feed your dog...

Alcoholic beverages

Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food

Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Cat food

Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine

Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts

Can cause vomitting.

Fat trimmings

Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins

Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops

Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron

Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver

Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts

Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana

Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products

Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage

Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms

Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)

Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons

Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums

Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems

Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs

Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish

Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt

If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods

Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts)

Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco

Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough

Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Quoted from Pet Education (http://www.peteducation.com)

Alasse
09-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Oooppss

My fella has milk in winter on his weetbix. He get raw eggs at least 2 times a week...and sardines are a big favorite of his....always has over his 6yrs. And he gets all our table scraps, except if onion is in it, bones and all

My last dog used to love raw fish, i used to catch em and she would sit waiting for her share. Thankfully she had no reaction to it. We did that for 6 yrs, every week, before she left us tragically (accident)

I spose it must also depend on the dog itself somewhat

Jessika
09-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Chocolate can be bad because it contains theobromine. Theobromine, in high amounts, can be toxic. Of course milk chocolate is the most dilute and will contain less theobromine than dark or baker's chocolate. It also depends on weight and how much was ingested, and just your individual dog. A little usually doesn't hurt, but you never know, and just to be safe keep it all out of reach :)

Apple seeds are also bad!

bckrazy
09-22-2006, 06:54 PM
My dogs get raw fish, raw eggs, & milk =) and they really really love it! And they smoke marijuana socially, all the time... baha j/k. The others I mostly agree with, though.

wolfsoul
09-22-2006, 07:07 PM
And they smoke marijuana socially, all the time...
Visa too, I told her to stop for the baby's sake, but she's just so dang irresponsible! :( :p

I feed raw fish, raw eggs, milk, garlic, table scraps...and hops is in Visa's Stressex...We're all good!

zoey
09-22-2006, 07:14 PM
mushrooms
chocolate
grapes
jalepnos, (that's pretty obvious, but don't leave mexican food containers laying about. Jalenos or hot sauce can cause permanent damage to dogs' esophogus.)
and for Daisy, dog food. It gives her diarrhea.

Kfamr
09-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I also feed Raw Fish, Raw Eggs, and milk - no problems here.

Garlic is also VERY good for fleas and is in many foods/treats.

Of course, it all depends on moderation!

Jessika
09-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Garlic is also VERY good for fleas and is in many foods/treats.
Yup. Garlic is actually good for your dogs in moderation. Excessive amounts can be bad. But if you look at the best dog food, most have a little garlic in it ;)

CathyBogart
09-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Hmm, Jasper eats raw fish, raw eggs, and lots of table scraps. I even give him the occasional fat trimming, though I know to be careful with those. ;)

My vet keeps turkey flavored baby food on hand to distract scared doggies while they're getting vaccinations.

.sarah
09-22-2006, 08:38 PM
And they smoke marijuana socially, all the time... baha j/k.
LOL OMG! That is hilarious!

Lady's Human
09-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Border Collies NEED marijuana! :p

K9karen
09-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Darn! Logan so looks forward to her cocktail hour with a ciggie and glass of wine! :rolleyes:

Grapes???? Yikes! Except for cereal, it's the only people food she loves! :eek: (ok..and licking the ice cream bowl). A few seedless ones get tossed and shoved and rolled then enjoyed. I guess I'll have to eat them in the closet or bathroom now.

I always sprinkled a dash of garlic on Cody's food cause I heard it helped keep the fleas off, and he never had any. And a bit of coffee (with cream please) was his fave (as he read the morning paper)

Geesh..now I'm trying to make light cause now I'm upset.

LilacDragon
09-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Darn! Logan so looks forward to her cocktail hour with a ciggie and glass of wine! :rolleyes:

Grapes???? Yikes! Except for cereal, it's the only people food she loves! :eek: (ok..and licking the ice cream bowl). A few seedless ones get tossed and shoved and rolled then enjoyed. I guess I'll have to eat them in the closet or bathroom now.

I always sprinkled a dash of garlic on Cody's food cause I heard it helped keep the fleas off, and he never had any. And a bit of coffee (with cream please) was his fave (as he read the morning paper)

Geesh..now I'm trying to make light cause now I'm upset.

The seeds are the poisonous part of the grape so seedless grapes should be fine. If you have a big dog than a grape or two with seeds shouldn't be a problem.

wolfsoul
09-23-2006, 08:46 AM
The seeds are the poisonous part of the grape so seedless grapes should be fine. If you have a big dog than a grape or two with seeds shouldn't be a problem.
Ir isn't just the grapes with seeds -- all grapes have an unknown toxin that can harm dogs.

Grapes and raisins have both been shown to result in potentially fatal kidney failure in dogs and cats, although the underlying toxin has not been identified. Green or purple grapes; organically grown or commercially grown; seeds or seedless; grapes grown in many different areas of the country; and raisins from those grapes--all have been found to be harmful. What we do know is that the toxin is not related to the use of pesticides or due to zinc or lead in the fruit. Fungal elements have not been implicated either. As of today, the toxic element remains a mystery, but it's effects are all too real.

http://www.newyorktails.com/petdiet.htm

Husky15
09-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh yes grapes are poisonous to dogs. Chocolate can be too, but usually in larger amounts. I think that most people think that the littlest bite of chocolate will do them harm, but that's not necessarily true.

Yes, when I was a child my mom would tell me, "Don't you feed her chocolate." Whenever I would have some sort of chocolate so I figured that if I gave her the smallest amount she would get sick, but I learned later that it's the large amounts not just a drop.

Almita
09-23-2006, 11:53 AM
my dogs get fed raw fish, raw eggs as well. Also once a month they eat cooked rice. Still see no problem about it.

BC_MoM
09-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I've never heard of garlic being okay for dogs. My neighbours Lab died because she ate a clove of it.

Jessika
09-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I've never heard of garlic being okay for dogs. My neighbours Lab died because she ate a clove of it.
A whole clove can be dangerous, but a little is fine and can actually be beneficial to their health.

sumbirdy
09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
We've fed Sprinkles (who will be 9 in December) Raw fish,milk, and people food all her life. When she was a puppy she ate raw eggs mixed with honey.
We also put a little bit of garlic on the dogs food to control fleas and ticks.

bckrazy
09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Border Collies NEED marijuana! :p

LMAO! So, so true. ;)

I would go into a story here... but I won't.

caseysmom
09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh come on, we wanna find out about Gonzo the toker :D