PDA

View Full Version : Lisa CCL needs us

sirrahbed
09-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Our catcrazylady Lisa needs us :(

I just got off the phone with her and she is heartbroken. I will try to explain and keep my facts accurate. During August, they had many shelter deaths from FIP. Nobody can figure out just why this happened and why to so many cats?? It is not supposed to be very contagious and it is relatively rare - maybe 2-3 deaths among hundreds of cats during a year.

The first week of September, Pete fell ill and stayed that way - Lisa took him both to the shelter vet where she works (9/4) and to her private vet (9/11), but they could find nothing at all wrong. Meanwhile, one of her newer kitties - Scooter - got sick. I believe this was about 2 weeks ago. He did not improve so Lisa brought him to work where he was tested and found to have FIP :( He was put down last week. About this same time frame, three little stray kittens that visited Lisa's porch - all dead from FIP.

Even after two visits to two different vets, Pete was not getting any better. She brought him in for yet another vet visit yesterday - and he was also found to be full of FIP. Beautiful Pete had to be euthanized ...just last night.

Lucky is now sick (for about a week now) and is not improving. He has been tapped for fluid in his belly and none was found - but he is going downwards quickly. He will not eat or drink - just lays in one spot without moving. The vet suspects he will show the FIP very shortly as he seems to be progressing just like Pete did.

Before this last month, Lisa had never even had an animal PTS, and now she has held the 11 shelter cats and two of her own babies.

She misses PT terribly. We have been her crazy-cat-family for years. Their home computer is totally fried and not much chance of having a replacement anytime soon. If that is not enough, their home phone has not worked for months and months and the phone company simply cannot locate a problem - so perhaps something within their walls that the company is not responsible for.

The computer at her job works some of the time - so, she is able to at least get her e-mail now and then. I have her e-mail and home address if you want to PM me I will send it to you. I know Lisa would love to hear from you via email or snail. In fact - she wants and needs this so very much and craves our love and support.

She wanted to post about all this but where to begin? I told her I would post here for her. When she finds time to check in from work tomorrow, I am hoping she has lots of posts, PMs and e-mail waiting for her. She may not answer right away, but please be assured she will look at the forum and her mail and be helped by it. She has off on Saturday and Sunday so will not be near a computer for the weekend.

Thank you all so much!

Here is Scooter. He was euthanized last Sunday. He was one of Sissy's five kittens. They were all strays that Lisa took in.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p87bd4f2d5863d571e511621d451976ef/ef618812.jpg

Most of you know Pete well. I can't find my favorite picture of him - but he really could not take a bad picture could he?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/p43e729b2648a48024fc38c16e1724b2e/f24160b5.jpg

Let's hope that by some miracle, Lucky does not have FIP at all, and will get better. It does not look good - but we can hope and pray, right? There are not many pics of him because he is so shy - but here ya go - here's Lucky!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/pc58d73a5b35d54dfbb85d26c057bf708/f90a7e8b.jpg

RedHedd
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
OMG I'm SO sorry to read this news. RIP Scooter and beautiful Pete :( Lisa doesn't deserve this. Such a hard thing to go through. Prayers going out that Lucky doesn't succumb, although it doesn't sound too good. :(

K & L
09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
This is all so sad. I'm just at a loss for words. We all love her and her family here, and I hope she knows we're all praying for them. Debbie please keep us posted on everything.

rg_girlca
09-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh my gosh, it is so hard to type with tears streaming down my face.
Not our dear beautiful Pete and precious little Scooter. Oh Lisa, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how this has affected you and how I pray that all your other furbabies will be okay. I will be praying also for dear Lucky even though the news is grim.

I am not very good with words, so I'll be sending prayers that they are able to find out what is wrong with your phone, that you are able to get a new computer sometime in the near future. Most of all, to let God shine down on you to bring sunshine into your life again and help heal all the pain that you must be going through right now.

((((((HUGS)))))) dear friend and know that this tough time will end. Just know in your heart that you don't need to go it alone. We will always be here for you, virtually holding your hand all the way.

Thank you Debbie for letting us know about our dear friend Lisa.

chocolatepuppy
09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
I will keep Lisa in my thoughts and prayers. How heartbreaking. :(

Craftlady
09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
That is so sad and so scary & happening to so many of shelter animals and then bringing it home, it appears.

AbbyMom
09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm so sorry to read this. Lisa must be heartbroken. I always looked forward to her Saturday Morning Brats and felt I knew her kitties.

Prayers for Lisa and the health of all her cats. Lucky, please come through this! RIP Pete and Scooter.

For those of you who have not met Pete, here is his bio:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=73268

Here is the day Pete came home:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=85015

I didn't find any other pix of Scooter, but here is handsome pete:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p7369b3bf60ef72e7ff4b420330cfa86d/f4ebae60.jpg

luvofallhorses
09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
poor Lisa! :( she will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. (((hugs))) to her.

jazzcat
09-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh Lisa I'm so sorry. What heartbreaking news. :( :( :( It's just not fair!

I wish I lived closer to you so I could come give you a big ole hug.

You are such a big part of PT and there is an empty spot here without you. I really hope you get a chance to see how much we all miss and love you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be saying extra ones for Lucky.

Debbie -thank you for sharing this with us. Please give Lisa my love when you speak to her next.

Catty1
09-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Lisa...I am just heartbroken hearing this. I can't imagine....HUGS to you, dear dear lady!

I was hearing today, up here in Canada, of some epidemic at the Calgary Humane Society. I can't verify it...but the illness starts with a "p" I think...could be the same thing, and it just goes right through everyone. There's virtually nothing that can be done...

How hard to be without a computer...if you know someone who works for a medium to large company, sometimes they have free computers from an upgrade they just did. You might luck out that way.

Dear dear girl....my deepest sympathies. Remember that many are thinking of you and with you - you are not alone.

PT prayers for dear Lucky....

hugs!

DJFyrewolf36
09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers on the way...I wish I could do more! :(

Corinna
09-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Oh Lisa I feel the pain as to day I had to pTS my 16 year old bunny, It was so very hard. Hugs to you .

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.:( I'm so sorry to hear about Pete's and Scooter's passing:( and I sure hope that Lucky will live up to his name and not be diagnosed with this terrible disease.:( Pete was always one of my favorites. RIP sweet Pete and Scooter.:(

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I hope that things will start changing for the better. You're very missed on PT. (((HUGS)))

shais_mom
09-21-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Debbie!
I'll PM you for her address.

Karen
09-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Oh, Lisa, our collective hearts are breaking right along with yours. Think of us standing with you, supporting you when you feel you cannot do it alone. We are here for you, even when you cannot log on. Sending hugs and prayers you way.

Prairie Purrs
09-22-2006, 12:53 AM
I am so deeply sorry for your losses. Pete was one of my PT favorites, too--such a beautiful boy! He and Scooter will be very much missed.

Please pull through, Lucky! Lots of healing energy is being sent your way.

G535
09-22-2006, 02:23 AM
I hope everything starts improving for you. I remember when Pete was lost and how worried we all were for him and you.

Sonia59
09-22-2006, 03:12 AM
This is so sad, I don't know what to say. Lisa ((((Hugs)))), we are all with you. I hope this is the end of the series now.

Lizzie
09-22-2006, 03:51 AM
I can barely imagine going through this, it must haunt your every waking and sleeping moment. Pete was a hunk with some wonderful quirks to his personality, and how well they were observed and described. I hope you did not lose any of the "special" cats from your shelter that you described to us so well, some very unadoptable cats but very appealing at the same time. We share your sorrow and despair, and will look forward to hearing from you in the near future that this dreadful disease has taken its toll and moved on.

Barbara
09-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Oh no Lisa! How cruel can life be?
I am so very sorry and send my best thoughts hoping that nobody else will be infected.

Lots of hugs to you!

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Oh no Lisa, I feel so sorry for you!! You have done so much for your cats.... . This must be so hard to accept... :(

Sending you tons of hugs!!!! http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20973%20Huge_hug.gif

orangemm
09-22-2006, 04:27 AM
Lisa, I am so very sorry to hear about Pete and Scooter. I cannot imagine your devastation over losing your sweet babies. Please remember that all of us are here for you, whether you are HERE or not, and that we are all praying and hoping that Lucky will be all right.

Such a sad situation. :(

(((((hugs))))) to you.

jenluckenbach
09-22-2006, 05:19 AM
{{{{{{{LISA}}}}}}}

I cannot even begin to tell you how sad I am to hear this news. :( RIP to all those sweet babies who have gone on to the rainbow bridge.

If only I had the right words of comfort..........:( :( :(

I PM'd you, but it was before this news. Please try to stay strong for the others that need you. Pull some strength from each one of us to help you through this. We will always be here for you.

More {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

mina'smomma
09-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Deb

Please pm me Lisa's addresses. I want to send her a couple of notes both snail mail and e-mail.

She & her family will be in my prayers.

kimlovescats
09-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Lisa, I am so terribly sorry to read this! It is (usually) true that FIP is fairly rare and affects a small percentage in a cat population, but I have had my share of losses to it here as well! :( You may remember, I lost my soul kitty, Tucker to that dreaded disease, as well as my beautiful April, and my little Bliss. It's a horrible, horrible, disease and there's nothing any one can do about it!!!! Please don't blame yourself for this, Lisa! If you read up on it (as I have MANY times) you will learn that MOST cats have been exposed to it at one time or another in their life. That is, the Corona Virus that it mutates from. Whether or not it develops in to FIP or not has to do with the cat's own immune system and ability to fight it. It's pretty much just the luck of the draw who gets it or who doesn't. :( :(

You are very loved here, and we are all here to try and comfort you as best we can!

Hugs,
Kim

kuhio98
09-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Lisa ~ I am so sorry to hear about your recent losses. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

catlover4ever
09-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Debbie, thanks for letting us know.

Lisa, I am speechless and my heart is aching for you. :( I can not imagine what you are going through. If there is ANYTHING that I can do, please don't hesitate at all in asking.

You are very loved here at PT and a part is missing with you not being here, but I understand how life is and we don't always have the time.

(((HUGS))) Meg and the FurCrew

Randi
09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Loosing Pete and Scooter is just too sad. :( :( I really hope Lucky will live up top his name and pull through. I'm sending lots of positive vibes - and hugs to you!

Rest in Peace, beautiful Scooter and Pete!

Reachoutrescue
09-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Wow. I am so sorry for Lisa. Please if there is anything I can do, please let us know. Lucky will be in our thoughts and prayers. I wish there was more I can say or do...I am so sorry for her loss.

trayi52
09-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Sorry to hear about Lisa and all her heartaches. Please let Lisa know that she is in my prayers and I am sending good thoughts to her also.

I will keep you, Lisa, and Lucky in my prayers.

Sending Hugs,
Willie

Don Juan's mom
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
When I had to send my Cardamom to the RB, the vet told me that she may have been infected by FIP as a kitten. (Her previous owner had found her on the street.) The virus can lie dormant for several years before making the cat sick.

Pete, Scooter and the shelter cats had the best human a cat could possibly want. But that's not much comfort, I know. :(

Liz

Kirsten
09-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Oh my Gosh, my heart breaks for Lisa, I don't even know what to say... :( :( :(

I just don't get it, how can there be such an agressive FIP outbreak; I never heard about something like that; so highly contagious, and progressing so fast! :( :( :(

Poor Lisa, and poor poor kitties!! :(

RIP, Pete and Scooter, and the shelter kitties, too.

Hopefully Lucky will feel better soon, and hopefully none of her remaining kitties will get sick now. This is sooo scary!!!

((((LISA))))

Kirsten

CultureJunky
09-23-2006, 03:17 AM
I am so sorry Lisa about the passing of Pete and Scooter. They were both some of the first cats I encountered on Pet Talk, and I will always remember Pete's gorgeous coat and main, he looked like a big white lion.
I send my thoughts, prayers for lucky and best wishes in you finding peace over Pete and Scooter, it'll take time, it'll hurt, but you have friends on Pet Talk, who are all here if you need them.

Jayna78
09-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Sending hugs and kind thoughts your way, Lisa. That is so awful. Losing one of your cats is bad enough, but two! Scooter and Pete are playing at the RB now with all of the sweet kitties that have gone before them. I'm so sorry. :( I hope that Lucky is ok and you don't lose anymore to that horrible FIP...

sirrahbed
09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
We drove down to Kentucky this weekend and were able to spend time with Lisa, Joe and the kitties. Her computer seems to be back in service and Dennis added more memory and did some tuning on it. But, there is still no internet. Their phone service will not allow incoming calls and we could NOT get through on the dsl modem so either the hardware is bad or the phone service needs wiring work to allow the dsl to work. Joe said he would get with the phone company soon and Lisa will be backing up some 13 GB :eek: of pictures!

I am sorry I did not get pictures because we had such a busy night. But, it was really good to visit everyone. I got to see most all of her cats, even the illusive Maggie Sue decided to honor me with some stares :D I played with Roscoe, Sammy, frankie, Chester and Opie and snuggled with bottle baby Tubby. Leroy was all over us :D Of course I enjoyed playtime with Magoo - who I swear can see even without eyes. He can catch a teaser in midair with no problem. He is handsome too!

Lisa is holding out hope for Lucky still but he does not look good. He is isolated to the bathroom and really does not acknowlege anyone who comes in. But there is always hope right?

Lisa is tired and sad but she is ok. She misses PT something awful. Sure hope they are able to make time to have the phone company work on their service - very frustrating!!

Lisa will try to get online at the shelter today and I know she will enjoy hearing from you guys - thank you!!

Freckles
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Debbie, I'm happy you were able to visit Lisa and get the lowdown about her problems. It will be wonderful when she can post again! :)

jazzcat
09-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Debbie - it's great that you went to visit her and that Dennis worked on her PC. I hope the phone lines can be fixed soon. What a headache for them.

I really miss Lisa and I'm so sorry she's had so much heartbreak lately. My prayers are with her and Lucky.

Kirsten
09-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Debbie, I'm glad you spent some time with Lisa and her precious furkids. And it's so nice of you that Dennis helped her with the computer. Now let's hope that her internet will soon be working again. It must be awful to be isolated from PetTalk, especially in a time like this.

My thoughts are with her and her fur babies, especially Lucky.

Kirsten

christa
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
My heart is breaking for Lisa . . . she is in my thoughts & prayers!

jenluckenbach
09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Oh Debbie, how wonderful of you to visit!! I sure wish they were close enough for me to just pop in, too.

Make sure LIsa knows that if there is ANY way ANY of us can help her, we will (and I bet I speak for the majority here).

If there are special prayers for phone service, let's all get saying them!!!!!!