PDA

View Full Version : What kind Of Kitty Bowls do you have?

shais_mom
06-01-2002, 12:42 AM
I have a plastic food dish for Kylie that allows me to put a pop bottle of water in it upside. I like it for when I go away overnight I don't have to worry about her having water.
But I have been hearing about bacteria breeding in the plastic. I wash it every couple days. I usually take a couple Efferdent tablets and let them soak in it. (Efferdent cleans everything from hairspray off hairbrushes to toilet bowls!)
I think I am going to switch to metal food dishes for Kylie after this bout with "rodent's ulcer". Do you think it would be ok to keep the plastic dish for when I go away overnight??

aly
06-01-2002, 12:49 AM
I used to use plastic for Shiloh but she got chin acne once and I changed to ceramic at the suggestion of the vet. No problems since then!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-01-2002, 12:50 AM
I want to get some heavier bowls or taller bowls for my two at least for the water right now I have plastic ones. Jupiter has got this weird thing about knocking it with his head to make the water spill out and then drinks it off the floor then diggs like he is digging a whole and bumps it again to spill more water out.... I really don't like him doing that because I heard that stuff like Pinesol can be poisonous to cats and I hate to think that he is licking any Pinesol residue off of the floor.... I have been seriously been thinking about getting them one of those that you plug in and it makes the water flow....

krazyaboutkatz
06-01-2002, 01:25 AM
I use ceramic bowls and have had no problem. I've also used plastic bowls and had no problem. Sara, my cat Sunny loves to play in the water dish too. My solution was to put the dish in an empty cat litter box so that when he does this it will catch the water and then I can clean it up. He doesn't do this everyday but he does it enough to cause problems. Since I've been doing this, I really don't have as much of a mess to clean up.:)

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-01-2002, 01:32 AM
thanks for the tip.... as a matter of fact I have a small litter box i'm not usin.... :D :D

Pam
06-01-2002, 06:43 AM
I have several sets of ceramic kitty bowls for my cats and I just throw them in the dishwasher along with our people dishes. I am sure non-pet owners might find this appalling. :) Staci that's an interesting tip about the Efferdent. Who would have thought? Sounds like something Martha Stewart would do! LOL!

Freckles
06-01-2002, 09:17 AM
Freckles uses the 12 oz size of Pyrex casseroles dishes. They are a little heavier than plastic and clean easily.

My niece's (the one in the bicycle basket)family has a large dog who had open sores around his nose. That stopped when they changed from plastic to metal dishes.

Logan
06-01-2002, 10:06 AM
I said Plastic because I have a self feeder for the dry food. Butter just eats on and off during the day. When he finshes off the whole thing, I always run it through the dishwasher. But since Mimi is eating more and more of wet food, I always put that in a ceramic bowl and yes, Pam, mine go right in the dishwasher too! :o

I have a large water container outside too, with the bottle on top and it keeps refilling, but I have terrible algae problems with it, so now, Butter and Mimi drink out of the stainless steel water bowl that I have for the dogs. I was too worried about the potential problems with algae in that bottle.

gini
06-01-2002, 10:37 AM
I have always used ceramic for all of my cats. I used them because they were heavier and easier to clean.

For tidbits like turkey, I have a few small "lotus" bowls that I use and they are stacked with my regular dishes. Sometimes, guests take one to use for serving something small and I always say - "no, not those, they are for the cats." I have to laugh, because they always put them back like they had poison in them.

Pam, Logan, shhhh, don't tell anyone, but my cat dishes go right into the dishwasher too. Aren't they sanitized along with regular dishes? Rascal has dry food available all of the time, so I only change that every couple of days.

I also put ice cubes in his water dish every day after cleaning it. He seems to love it - just like we like a cool glass of water.

Former User
06-01-2002, 11:03 AM
All the eating and drinking dishes are plastic. When one gets too many scratches, we will throw it away.

shais_mom
06-01-2002, 11:26 AM
I don't have a dishwasher but I wash the pet bowls with the rest of the dishes also. I usually wait until the end simply so I can scrape out any extra into the trash. My mom who as stated before isn't a big animal lover but tolerates my dogs like an angel was doing dishes one time when I first got Shaianne and I set the dog bowls on the counter cause I figgered after she was done I would wash those up real quick. She grabbed them and started washing them and I said "Wait those are the dog bowls you might not want to wash them if you aren't done." She said "Well I hope the soap will kill anything that might be on them or its not worth it!" She had a good point.
The vet mentioned when we talked about plastic bowls he said "you know when you take plastic out of the dishwasher, it isn't hot to touch, its very hard to sterilize it."
Pam way back in the earlier 90's when big hair was the rage, I used to have a heck of a time getting it off my combs, brushes, headbands etc. So I would soak them in Efferdent and it would come off in one whole peice!!!!! Like a shell!!!! :o Yep just drop a couple tablets into the toilet let it sit for awhile or overnight and then brush your bowl!
And I just read this one BAKED ON FOOD:- FILL A CONTAINER WITH WATER, GET A BOUNCE DRYER SHEET AND THE STATIC FROM THE BOUNCE SHEET WILL CAUSE THE BAKED ON FOOD TO ADHERE TO IT. SOAK OVERNIGHT. ALSO, YOU CAN USE 2 EFFERDENT TABLETS AND SOAK OVERNIGHT!!!!!!

Someone told me ceramic bowls are better for cats then metal ones.

Sam's My Baby
06-01-2002, 12:37 PM
Sadly, I don't own a cat, but I heard that plastic bowls, like aly said, can cause acne in dogs in cats cuz of the bacteria that might grow in the cracks and scratches in the bottom of the bowl.

Pam
06-01-2002, 05:19 PM
This topic led me to thinking about the kind of bowls we have. Anyone else have kitty-themed bowls? This is a little water bowl I keep in the basement in case my boys get thirsty down there. Since it's so little I can't use anywhere that Bella may be because she would think it was a toy and pick it up and run with it! Andy was so pleased when he first saw this bowl! :D In fact if you see a blur of white in the picture that's my little boy!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p6ca0b298ff6c2c2241f306c192923171/fdafad7b.jpg

sirocco
06-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Someone told me ceramic bowls are better for cats then metal ones.

I also think so (donīt really know why, though :confused: !!) However, I use metal ones for my babies, I canīt find anything suitable in ceramics over here - I know this sounds stupid, but itīs true!! :mad: :( I guess I should look for something suitable, though not meant for this use (a human bowl, for example!!!) Oh well....

Nita

P.S:And Pam, that bowl is just GREAT!! :)

krazyaboutkatz
06-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Pam
This topic led me to thinking about the kind of bowls we have. Anyone else have kitty-themed bowls? This is a little water bowl I keep in the basement in case my boys get thirsty down there. Since it's so little I can't use anywhere that Bella may be because she would think it was a toy and pick it up and run with it! Andy was so pleased when he first saw this bowl! :D In fact if you see a blur of white in the picture that's my little boy!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p6ca0b298ff6c2c2241f306c192923171/fdafad7b.jpg That's a cute bowl Pam. I too use ceramic bowls which I bought at Petco. I don't have a picture of it but it's white with black paw prints that go all the way around the bowl. I also have the same pattern in some smaller bowls but for some reason my cats prefer to eat out of the larger bowl.

shais_mom
06-02-2002, 11:53 PM
I just ordered 2 ceramic bowls off of ebay.

Not sure if you will be able to see them but:
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_4d9b5f4b0e06359d9199b48461677912/i-1.JPG
I should get them next week!

krazyaboutkatz
06-03-2002, 12:41 AM

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_4d9b5f4b0e06359d9199b48461677912/i-1.JPG
I should get them next week! Yes, I could see them and they look so cute.:D

C.C.'s Mom
06-03-2002, 12:55 AM
Rudie and Eddy eat from plastic little bowls. I buy them new once a year (kids bowls from IKEA). They go into the dishwasher like everything else (why else do we have that noisy thing?).
They have an automatic feeder for the dry food.
Both drink from a ceramic bowl with cute little cat pawprints in it, and one where fishes are swimming in. But, they mainly drink from Cookie's bowl in the backyard with rainwater in it.

When we go away for the weekend, I usually have an automatic feeder out for them with the wet food. It has 5 bowls covered with a lid that pop open for a few hours with a timer, so they can eat at their normal feeding times. It has a cooler in it too, so the food can't go off.

wayne0214
06-04-2002, 07:30 PM
sirocco, have you checked a farm and ranch store for ceramic bowls in Spain? I am assuming that there are such outlets there. In this country, many people who raise chickens and other domestic food fowl, have ceramic bowls for water for their birds. I found 3 of them in a junk pile from a farm home that was cleaning up to place for sale. They are heavy and thick walled. :)

I have not placed much attention to my furkids eating and drinking facilities. I use what I find. Yet for watering my outdoor furkids, there is in place under a mulberry tree, a 10 gallon stainless steel pot. To keep the water fresh, I place a few drops of bleach in the water. This kills all bacteria, and keeps the water clean. Also you can use any powder from or pulverized swimming pool chlorine tablets. Just put in a pinch of this however, in the 10 gal of water.

..........wayne

Pam
06-04-2002, 07:36 PM

I should get them next week!

Very pretty bowls Staci, but then I would expect nothing but the finest for your beautiful Kylie girl! :cool: (Andy says hi gorgeous! ;) )

AvaJoy
06-04-2002, 09:25 PM
I found some wonderful shallow (cat's favorite!) ceramic dishes at Petco, but I had to go all over the universe (well, I exaggerate . . . but I had to call and visit many Petco stores within quite a radius) to get several sets in all colors just in case of breakage. I get paranoid because whenever I truly like a product, somehow or other it invariably is discontinued, so I've learned my lesson and buy in quantity!

The small cat size have fish cutouts around the sides and a fish embossed in center of bowl. Available in solid colors of light green, salmon and blue. I also bought the next larger size (paw print cutout on sides and embossed into center) for their water dishes in matching colors. Each cat has their own matching placeset! Easy to clean and with the side cutouts to put fingers through, the dish doesn't slip out of your hand and break in the sink. I don't run my dishwasher but once a week, so I wash the cat's dishes every night by hand. My "son" Meeshe has FELV so I use a Dobi earmarked exclusively for his bowls.

shais_mom
06-05-2002, 12:49 AM
I saw a hint in a magazine saying you should use paper plates to feed your animals. No bacteria. I would be alright if you have just cats, but those of us who have wild child puppies it wouldn't work at all! She would just as soon eat the plate as the food.

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2002, 12:53 AM
I saw a hint in a magazine saying you should use paper plates to feed your animals. No bacteria. I would be alright if you have just cats, but those of us who have wild child puppies it wouldn't work at all! She would just as soon eat the plate as the food. I just have cats and it wouldn't work either. Sunny likes to chew paper products. Every now and then he takes a bite out of his bed box.

Gio
06-05-2002, 08:51 AM
We tried all sorts. They don't like plastic and are not overkeen on ceramic (unless it's ours of course). Foxy carries lighter bowl in his mouth all over the house. We put some ham in a paper plate for him once and the plate ended up in my bed (after the ham disappeared of course:D). Instead of eating like other normal cats Maya licks her food and she always had to run after her bowl. :rolleyes:. Now we have found this very good metal ones, it's good metal, they're very easy to clean and they have a non-slip thingy underneath, so Maya can lick to her heart's content and her bowl stays put :D

Randi
06-05-2002, 08:57 AM
I use a ceramic bowl for the dry food and a big wide glass for drinking water. There's one glass in the kitchen next to his food and one in the bedroom - he prefers the one in the bedroom! :D

For those of you who give you cat or dog wet food, I think a metal one will be best, or a ceramic one. However it should be one with no colouring in the glaze and also hi temperature burnt glaze. ;)

06-05-2002, 09:11 AM
Sydney has two kinds of bowls .
I use a metal bowl for his wet food . Is much easier to clean and scrub !!
He has a plastic bowl for dry food and one for water . These are both of the upside-down-bottle-in-bowl . With these you do not have to refill all the time ; and Sydney will never over-eate when it is about dry food !!!!!
Wet food makes him go nuts !!! He LOVES that !!!!So , only one portion a day !!

Gio
06-05-2002, 09:32 AM
I forgot to mention only food goes in the metal bowl since they get cleaned as soon as they finish. For water I prefer glass.

Edwina's Secretary
06-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Edwina's china pattern is multi-colored paw prints and she has all different sizes. She eats only dry cat food (except for the turkey which my husband feeds her right on one of my good placemats on the table.) She has a variety of her own placemats which match her china in different amusing ways. Spoiled thing.

I have never understood the fuss about people vs. animal dishes. Washed is washed isn't it?

NoahsMommy
06-05-2002, 03:03 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one that washes the cat dishes in our dishwasher with everything else. :) When I told my mom (not a cat person) we did that, she kind of cringed. :rolleyes: (Somehow I think I am going to enjoy that "Ya-Ya" movie!! :) )

Shais mom, I LOVE those bowls/dishes you got off E-Bay! Very, very cute!! Does Ebay have a lot of cat stuff?

Noah and Noel have ceramic food dished on top of thier kitty food placemat. Noah's is white with black paw prints around the edge, Noel's is red with black fish and "you are special today" written around the edge. They have a water fountain to drink from so I don't have to worry about other bowls. When its hot out, they love ice in it. :)

Logan
06-05-2002, 03:30 PM
I saw a hint in a magazine saying you should use paper plates to feed your animals. No bacteria. I would be alright if you have just cats, but those of us who have wild child puppies it wouldn't work at all! She would just as soon eat the plate as the food.

Paper plates seem like a great idea, but in reality, they really don't work, even if the dogs can't get to them. We tried that one time. I bought a huge package of small sized paper plates. They ALWAYS ended up on the floor, sometimes the food went with them. With two hungry dogs and a mom who doesn't like to mop....this was a terrible idea!!! :)

shais_mom
06-05-2002, 11:53 PM
That is true Logan. I don't like to mop either. And even tho you can buy the plates super cheap I think in the long run it would be more econimical to buy good bowls.
Noah's mommy, yepper Ebay has alot of pet stuff. You might be have to kinda specific to ask what you are looking for, tho.

Kat Kommando
06-06-2002, 07:11 AM
If stainless stell is good enough for the hospital, it's good enough for my cats!

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Kona has ceramic food and water bowls. But, she has decided that she prefers to drink her water from my glass centerpiece meant for floating candles. So now, I have to keep this rather-formal centerpiece on the table all the time. What a spoiled girl! :)

twirlbird
06-08-2002, 11:05 PM
im ashamed to admit it but my cat eats from a dog bowl...the cat bowls were too small to contain all his food

4 feline house
06-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Here's what my bowls look like:

http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/v301506.jpg

Two of them came from Petsmart, and one came from Petco, so on one of them, the pawprints run in the other direction.

I have them all sitting on a tray to contain the mess.

If they get snacks, I put them in glass ramekins.

Kat Kommando
06-09-2002, 03:58 PM
A cautionary about ceramic bowls - some contain lead :eek: (Ref: http://catlovers.tqn.com/library/reviews/aabybfoodbowls.htm )

gini
06-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house

Two of them came from Petsmart, and one came from Petco, so on one of them, the pawprints run in the other direction.

If they get snacks, I put them in glass ramekins.

Chuck, most bowls sold at Petsmart and Petco are advertised as lead free - as are these bowls.

Kat Kommando
06-09-2002, 04:16 PM
?

Former User
06-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Kat Kommando
?

Can't you read Chuck? :confused:

Kat Kommando
06-09-2002, 04:51 PM
What I read on the ceramic bowls did not indicate one way or another about lead content. If they are lead-free - great! A little warning just does not merit such strong responses.

Enough said.

krazyaboutkatz
06-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house

If they get snacks, I put them in glass ramekins. I have one bowl that looks just like this only the paw prints are black and I bought this at Petco. I just bought another ceramic dish at Petco that has a pattern of three cats with paw prints, mice, fish, and fishbones on the outside of the dish. It also says meow, here kitty, and good cat on it. On the inside upper rim area of the dish there are mice, fish, and fishbones. On the very bottom of the dish it says good cat and that is surrounded by a mouse, a fishbone, and a tiny cat dish. It's very cute and all three cats were very interested in it when I first brought it home.

4 feline house
06-09-2002, 08:15 PM
KAK, I remember seeing those when I was buying my bowl at Petco! It was cute, and I debated for a while, but then decided to stick with the "matching set"!

shais_mom
06-10-2002, 11:35 PM
One more and I am deleting this post. I WILL not tolerate anyone picking on anyone else in a topic that I started trying to improve the welfare of my cat. If you have a problem with this PM me, otherwise. KNOCK IT OFF. I have had it with this behavior.

Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

Can't you read Chuck? :confused:

shais_mom
06-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Kylie's bowls came earlier in the week and she loves them!!

AmberLee
06-16-2002, 12:20 AM
Hey, that's great!!! We don't like change here. ;)]

gini
06-16-2002, 12:27 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread and disturb this nice one, but do any of you have your pet's name on your bowls?

I have a stack of kitty bowls that I don't use for Rascal as they say SUGAR - PATCHES - MAGIC - my R/B furbabies.

For some reason I have never gotten around to having one made for Rascal, but I want to have one made.

Pam
06-16-2002, 07:55 AM
Gini, no I don't have any personalized bowls but what a nice idea! Where do you have them made?

This is slightly off topic, but for Christmas one year my kids made ornaments out of home-made play doh. They fashioned them into the shape of dogs and used a garlic press to make the "curly" hair (since they were poodles) and then painted them in the appropriate colors. We run across them each year now and it brings back a flood of memories since they are at the RB.

AvaJoy
06-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Many, MANY years ago I made similar ornaments using a cookie dough recipe (minus the sugar) for this purpose that I found in a magazine. To this day they are still holding up nicely!! :) I always found them to be rather heavy for a tree branch, though.

4 feline house
06-16-2002, 08:56 PM
In my previous post, I forgot to add that I have the matching placemat, too. I thought of that when I was cleaning the kitchen today!

http://www.petdiscounters.com/dog/feeders/ep_6707_mat.jpg