PDA

View Full Version : No second chance for a stray dog.

Argranade
09-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Here's the link....http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/speakup/topic.asp?id=12

This dog should have been given a chance at a trainer how could they just put it to sleep with out trying to do more for it.Those people truly cared and wanted that dog and they come back to find out its dead. :(

They poke it and say it has to be put down what next blowing on a cats face and if it sneezes it will be put down.... clearly if you poke an animal it will usualy reacte my pigeons bite when I stick my finger in the cage... :rolleyes:
If this dog was a real killer and would bite if anyone that went near it then somthing could have been done but this dog was barley tested.

Luvin Labs
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
If a family agrees to take in a obviously food aggressive/dominant pet, knowing full well the issues that may arise, I think they should get a chance to do so. If the animal place was a bit fearful of lawsuits they could have drawn up a document stating that that couple knew full well what issues the dog has. Heck, make them agree to get a trainer (which the article said they'd do) in writing as well as do checkups on them or whatnot.

My dog Smokey, when we brought him home, was food aggressive and a little out of sorts for a good month before he finally settled down and stopped being food aggressive. I :( to think that someone could have put him to sleep, he's such a great boy.

They gave that dog less than a week. They should IMO give a bit more time than that! A month at least! With serious training during that time!

areias
09-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm not really taking sides on this one, but...if I might add a story. I know this is about a pit and not a lhasa, but nonetheless...

I work at a vet clinic near downtown Tampa...I see a lot of aggressive dogs and such. We have a county animal shelter, that health tests and behavior tests dogs, and if they don't pass any of these tests they will be put down. However, recently they have started construction on the shelter to create more kennels. A guy brought in a very large pit, that was not neutered or anything. He said that he was there working with the construction crew and was walking through the euthanasia row and saw the dog there, about to be euthanized. Somehow someone let him just take the dog off the premises. So he brought him in to get tested and to get heartworm tested and such. I got someone to hold the dog to pull the blood...he gave me his paw, I put a little bit of alcohol on the leg (just got it wet a bit) and the dog FLIPPED. If the girl holding him had not had a good grip on the dog, I would have lost an arm and probably part of my face. We put a muzzle on him and I tried to hold him (the other girl is smaller than me) and he ripped open my arm with his nails. So we had to get the biggest guy there to hold him, and he even had a difficult time. All this happened with just the alcohol on it's leg...we hadn't even poked him with the needle. And he ended up being heartworm positive.

Now you tell me what happens when the one day that guy has a child at his house, whether it be his, his nephew or niece, or even an adult that dosen't know dogs, and they tick that dog off. The dog is a time bomb. Granted, it's not a lhasa, but...I understand what's going through the person at the shelter's mind. There are too many unwanted nice dogs, for people to be taking home ticking time bombs.