PDA

View Full Version : Raw food & cats

ChrisH
09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Will it be okay to give Ebby a raw chicken drumstick?

Danegirl2208
09-21-2006, 06:38 PM
yes it is fine :)
http://www.rawfedcats.org/

kb2yjx
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
I have to disagree. I have read in many places NEVER to give a cat a bone, because it can splinter and injure the cat. Raw food, to me as a RN, is dicey, especially with the e.coli and salamonella out there....

Danegirl2208
09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I have to disagree. I have read in many places NEVER to give a cat a bone, because it can splinter and injure the cat. Raw food, to me as a RN, is dicey, especially with the e.coli and salamonella out there....

cooked chicken bones ARE dangerous and splinter, raw bones do not.

.sarah
09-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Cats are obligate carnivores. They are not made to digest kibble, but rather fresh, raw prey animals.

I feed raw to my dogs every day, plus am feeding it to my 3.5 week old foster puppies and fed it to my foster kittens last month. All have done better on raw than on kibble.

Danegirl2208
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Cats are obligate carnivores. They are not made to digest kibble, but rather fresh, raw prey animals.

I feed raw to my dogs every day, plus am feeding it to my 3.5 week old foster puppies and fed it to my foster kittens last month. All have done better on raw than on kibble.

i was wonderig when you were going show up Sarah! :)

i fed Raven (my cat) a raw diet for a couple of weeks about a month ago. she absolutly loved it, especially her chicken drumsticks and fish! Shes been back on kibble for a while, but we are hoping to switch back sometime soon.

catmandu
09-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Certainly raw food that is fresh is fine.
After all Cats for generations had mouse tartar before we domesticated them.
Cats are atavistic and love raw food.
I give the Found Cats bits of raw steak and they love it.

emily_the_spoiled
09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I have switched most of my gang over to a raw diet (with supplements) and they LOVE it. I have to admit that I am a little leary about the bones so I usually debone the meat. But everything I have read indicated that raw bones are fine, it is only when they are cooked that they cause problems.

kimlovescats
09-22-2006, 08:39 AM
NEVER NEVER EVER chicken bones!!! They splinter and can easily get caught in their throats!!!! If you want to pull the meat off, be positive there are no bones. I personally don't do the raw diet ... especially chicken because of Salmonella, E-coli, etc ... but some swear by raw diets.

.sarah
09-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Cooked chicken bones are bad. Raw chicken bones are soft and pliable and perfectly safe to feed.

ChrisH
09-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks all, Ebby really enjoyed it. :)

CathyBogart
09-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Cooked chicken bones are bad. Raw chicken bones are soft and pliable and perfectly safe to feed.

Ditto! When we were trying to put some weight on Cupcake we started feeding her drumsticks and wings ontop of her regular diet and she loved 'em! We still give them occasionally....she's getting on in years and needs her pampering!

Freedom
09-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I seem to recall hearing that cats, especially kittens, need taurine for their eyes, which is why they can't develop properly and survive on dog food. Taurine is added to cat foods, not to dog foods. So if you fed the cats just a raw diet, then I suppose you need a few supplements. May be something to look into if you go all raw all the time.

emily_the_spoiled
09-22-2006, 04:28 PM
You can purchase the supplements off the web and just add the raw meat along with veggies. I use a food processor to mix everything and it looks just like regular wet cat food (except that once in awhile it is green depending on what veggie I was using :rolleyes: )

lvpets2002
09-22-2006, 04:33 PM
NEVER NEVER EVER chicken bones!!! They splinter and can easily get caught in their throats!!!! If you want to pull the meat off, be positive there are no bones. I personally don't do the raw diet ... especially chicken because of Salmonella, E-coli, etc ... but some swear by raw diets.
:) I will have to agree also..

jenluckenbach
09-22-2006, 06:59 PM
As has been stated, RAW bones are safe. COOKED bones are very dangerous.

RAW bones are actually very good for cats. Calcium, teeth cleaners, jaw exercisers.

I am glad that Ebby enjoyed her treat. :D