View Full Version : Let's keep Valerie and Duke in our prayers

Logan
09-21-2006, 01:26 PM
What's going on with Duke? I haven't seen a post about him being sick (but then again, I might have missed something). I just saw your post in Audrey's thread about worrying about him.

Please keep us up to date on him. We all love Duke.

Logan

I just edited the title of this post (Friday night, 11 pm) at the suggestion of a friend, so that others might see this post and send their good wishes and prayers to you and Duke, Valerie.

slleipnir
09-21-2006, 01:31 PM
I was wondering the same thing but couldn't find any threads about him....I hope everything is ok...

caseysmom
09-21-2006, 02:22 PM
I am so sorry about Duke. I just love that boy.

Val I hope he is just feeling his age a bit, some cold weather may have brought that on. There is no reason to think its that time yet he may have just hurt himself or be achy. I know its hard not to but please try not to think the worse.

Casey sends smoochs his way, she just loves that big hunky boy.

dukedogsmom
09-21-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty much a wreck today. Only had 3 hours sleep and have a headache from crying. We go to the vet tomorrow afternoon. Mom says he's better today, that last night he couldn't hardly walk at all. He's very wobbly on his feet and falls easily. He looks so sad but that could be because of the way I've been. To top it off, yesterday was dad's birthday. Just not a good time right now. Thanks so much for your concern. I love Duke more than my own life.

Jadapit
09-21-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Val. I know how much Duke means to you. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on what the vet has to say. (((BIG HUGS)))

catnapper
09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Val, I am so sorry to hear this. I adore Duke - he reminds me so much of my own Nicki. Lots of prayers coming your way. Duke, please feel better soon! (((hugs)))

caseysmom
09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Oh Val I sure hope he is okay. Has it been colder there?

dukedogsmom
09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh Val I sure hope he is okay. Has it been colder there?
It was just a little bit cooler last night. I forgot to tell you that mom said he threw up this morning. His supper from yesterday at this time hadn't even been digested. I just tried to feed him tonight and he won't eat. We even had his most favorite treat, a boiled egg and all he would eat was the yellow part. I had to cut up that. I am so worried.

Daisy and Delilah
09-21-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm sending huge prayers to you and Duke, Val. :( C'mon Big Guy---feel better!! :( {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

jazzcat
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Val I'm so sorry. Prayers and good thoughts on the way for Duke and you.

Ginger's Mom
09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I am so sorry, Val. Prayers and good thoughts going out for you and Duke.

caseysmom
09-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Gosh that is pretty upsetting but could be something simple I am hoping. Its scary when they get older, I know how much he means to you.

Argranade
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Oh god. :(

I pray your dog shall still have many years with you as you love him so dearly just keep praying he'll brighten up just talk to Duke tell him everything will be alright and his momy loves him very much.

Come on Duke get better please! your momy needs you to keep her heart warm!

Ill say a prayer for him.

lizbud
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh Valerie :( It makes me sad to hear that Duke shows signs of slowing
down like that.I saw those signs with Buddy & it made me want to just hug
him and never let go. :( I will pray that the Vet can offer help in getting
Duke able to move around better & with no pain.For you (((HUGS))).Liz.

Logan
09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Val, I'm going to keep you and Duke in my prayers. I'm so sorry he is having a rough time. :( Thank you for responding so we would know what was going on.

Logan

captain
09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh Val,
So sorry to hear that Duke is not himself............ (((hugs))) and prayers across the miles to you both.

K9karen
09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
:eek: :eek: :( :( Not Duke! Our most handsome loverboy! OMG Val, I'm so worried. Please please update us. I checked your IM and you're off. I wish I had a magic wand.

flamepony12
09-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh no! I must have missed the other thread :( Please get well soon Duke... (((((HUGS)))))

sammy101
09-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Val, i'm sorry to hear about Duke. :( I hope he gets better soon!
{{hugs}}

Alysser
09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh god, I'll be praying hard for you both tonight. I adore your Duke boy and I know how much he means to you. ((HUGS)) PLEASE duke be okay! :( Like I said, prayers definatley on the way.

finn's mom
09-21-2006, 09:31 PM
:( I'm sorry that you and Duke aren't feeling your best. I think of you both often.

dukedogsmom
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Going to bed now. Duke is a lot perkier and is drinking water but I can't get him to eat at all. Not even his favorite treats. He's wobbly on his feet and falls easily. I sure hope the vet can do some sort of miracle tomorrow.

cloverfdx
09-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Ohh Val i am so sorry, good vibes coming yours and Duke's way {{Hugs}}. Hopefully the vet will be able to get some quick results and find out whats going on.

You will both be in my thoughts.

:(

wolf_Q
09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Duke, I hope he will be ok. I'll be thinking of you both!

K9karen
09-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Mz Klo and I are beside ourselves with worry. I'll try to call you in the early evening..I'll leave a message if you're at work. My heart is pounding....*Stay strong Dukie..we're praying so hard for you and Val*

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Val, I'm so sorry to hear about Duke.:( I sure hope that the vet can find out what's wrong with him and that it's nothing serious. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Karen
09-22-2006, 12:14 AM
You and Duke are in our prayers, we'll hope for a good update for tomorrow.

luvofallhorses
09-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I am so sorry, Valerie. :( I know how much Duke means to you. I hope he is feeling like his old self soon. (((HUGS))) I will keep you and Duke in my thoughts and prayers. please let us know how the vet visit goes.

Flatcoatluver
09-22-2006, 01:05 AM
:( I'm so sorry Valerie, I am crying for you. I will be praying for you and Dukey Boy tonight and my two dogs will cross paws or Duke. (((HUGS)))

chocolatepuppy
09-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed out for Dukes vet visit today Val.

Lilith Cherry
09-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Prayers for you and Duke from me in China too! I rarely post these days as my internet is awful but Duke is such a precious dog! Good luck at the vet!

Daisy and Delilah
09-22-2006, 06:13 AM
I'm keeping the faith today Val. Please update as soon as you can. Maybe Duke has a little bug and it will be easily cured so he can be his old self again. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. {{{{MORE HUGS}}}}

Rachel
09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
One more expression of concern for the Dukster. I too wish I had that magic wand that Karen spoke of. Don't lose heart though. My two have come through some real scares just fine. Wishing the same for Duke.

Dorothy39
09-22-2006, 07:35 AM
I will keep Duke and You within "Positive Prayers",

I know what these Vet visits feel like, and, I hope and Pray that Duke is just going through an ailment that will be recognized and treated.

Keep your chin up~~~

Pet Talk Prayers can do miracles.

pitc9
09-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Oh Val.... I'm sending a thousand hugs and prayers to you and Duke.
Please keep us posted.

ramanth
09-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Val, I'm so sorry to hear Duke is not feeling well.

lv4dogs
09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm so sorry Val. Yous are in my thoughts & prayers. I hope the doc can work some magic on that wonderful boy of yours today. {{hugs}}

mruffruff
09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Duke is under the weather. Hopefully the vet can give him some help and get him back to normal.

Samson (Duke's look-a-like) sends doggy wishes for good heath.

caseysmom
09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey Val, I am just checking in, not sure what time Duke's appt is today.

dukedogsmom
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
It's in two hours. We've both been taking it easy. I've been having some weird dreams but I think that's just because I was so tired. Duke is a lot perkier but I still can't get him to eat anything, not even his most favorite, a boiled egg. I'll just be glad to know what, if anything, is going on.

caseysmom
09-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the update Val I have been thinking about him this morning.

cyber-sibes
09-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Val, I'm praying for Duke, and I'm really happy that he seems a bit perkier. Hope the news from the vet is positive. I think he has one of the most beautiful doggie smiles anywhere! :D (((hugs))) to you and your boy.

ChrisH
09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh, Val, I'm sorry to hear your beautiful boy is unwell. Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.
{{hugs}}

lizbud
09-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi Valerie,

Just checking in for any news on Duke.I've been thinking about the both
of you all morning.I hope you are able to share better news on your sweetie.

dukedogsmom
09-22-2006, 03:58 PM
We're through at the vet and headed home. His bloodwork results should be in tomorrow afternoon. I've got onre more pain medication for him called Tramadol. It's got a light dose of opiates in it. Hopefully it will help. The vet did a lot of muscle tests on him and said his muscles are still strong. There is a small relfex delay with his back left leg. Also, xrays show both hips have lots of sharp fragments in the ball joint area where it should be smooth. When he shakes his head, if he's standing, he falls. The vet said that it could be a degenerative neurological disease that German Sheperds sometimes get. We're going to see if Duke will eat some boiled chicken tonight. If he doesn't eat by afternoon tomorrow, I'm to call them. He siad his hear looked good and clean. I think I've remembered everything the vet said. I was kind of nervous because he's a new one and I'd never seen him before. He made a great first impression. He's very kind and thorough. Thanks so much for all of your good thoughts and prayers. I know we all have to accept the fact that one day we'll have to part with our special pets but it always seems too soon to think about. I'm hoping this new medicine helps Duke out a lot and that he improves. I'm not ready to let go yet and I don't think he is, either.

Kater
09-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Your sweet sweet boy is in my thoughts. The Tramadol should help with any pain he is feeling, so rest assured about that. I hope you can get him to eat something. You might want to try tripe.
You will both be in my prayers. {{{HUGS}}}

lizbud
09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Sounds pretty positive to me. I do hope Duke's appetite perks up some
too.Buddy was Shep/Huskie and had some of those same problems with
hips,back legs & spine.I hope that this new medicine will help Duke get
around so much easier. Please give your boy a big hug from me. :)

caseysmom
09-22-2006, 04:53 PM
I hope you can get him to eat some tonight. Has he been going to the bathroom okay?

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2006, 06:59 PM
The vet said that it could be a degenerative neurological disease
that German Sheperds sometimes get.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Val ~

Do a Google.com search for "Degenerative Myelopathy", which is probably
what the Vet mentioned.

"Degenerative Myelopathy (DM) was first described as a specific degenerative neurologic disease in 1973. Since then, much has been done to understand the processes involved in the disease and into the treatment of DM. Hopefully, this will help you understand the problem and to explain further the steps that can be taken to help dogs afflicted with DM.

The age at onset is 5 to 14 years, which corresponds to the third to sixth decades of human life. Although a few cases have been reported in other large breeds of dogs, the disease appears with relative frequency only in the German Shepherd breed, suggesting that there is a genetic predisposition for German Shepherd dogs (GSD) in developing DM. ..."

Duke may also bebefit from high doses of Glucosamine / Chondroitin / MSN -
to help the Athritis - did Doc mention any of those supplements??

Smokey's "Trick Knee" and Bowser's "stiff rear end" are both helped by the
Glucosamine.

And now that poor Bowser has been diagnosed as having Degenerative Myelopathy http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
in his left, rear foot & leg - he's switched to a generic combo of
Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSN
together with 400 IU of Vitamin E every day.
There is no cure for canine DM - the supplements may slow it down or help
to ease the discomfort.

Something to Note:
With DM - the dog really doesn't feel "pain" -
because the disease robs him of feeling in the effected limb.
"Pain" may, however, originate in joints suffering with Arthritis.

"Not being Hungry" is NOT symptomatic with Degenerative Meylopathy.

We'll say some Prayers the Duke starts Feelin Better!!

{{{Hugs}}} from Phred

cyber-sibes
09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I hope Duke decides he hungary enough for a little something tonight, Val. The news from the doc sounds pretty optimistic, keeping paws crossed the blood results are also good.

Phred, sorry to hear about Bowser. I noticed him draggin that back foot at the picnic, wondered if maybe he had a mini-stroke. Hope the new meds help him feel better.

dukedogsmom
09-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Duke has eaten 2 small boiled chicken breasts but I still can't get him interested in his other food. He's going to the bathrrom alright. Hasn't had the big one today but I'm not too concerned since he's barely eaten anything. I'll see how he does in the morning. He's drinking water fine.

Thanks for the info Phred. I'm not sure if he has that or not. We should know more with the bloodwork, hopefully. I'm going to give him the first of his new medication tonight.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. They've really helped.

Logan
09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Hang tough, Duke and Val. We're out here hoping and praying that everything is going to be ok. :)

Bengalz
09-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Positive thoughts and healing prayers for Duke. I'm so sorry he is feeling this way. :(

Please get some rest Val - Duke needs you to be strong for him. Hugs to both of you.

Betty

Dorothy39
09-22-2006, 10:36 PM
It's great to read that Duke did eat something, even though it wasn't his favoroite "boiled egg".

I'm hoping that Duke will have a great rebound in due time!!!

Phred offered a lot of useful information!!!!

Prayers for you, and for your wonderful dog, Duke!!!!

Catty1
09-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Is there any way for those 'sharp bits' to be removed from his hips? Or for them to be dulled down somehow?

Wishing all the best for Duke!

ChrisH
09-23-2006, 03:08 AM
His muscles still being strong is good, as is his eating the chicken, a big improvement on eating nothing.

Prayers and positive thoughts for a hopeful diagnosis from the tests, and for your dear boy to be feeing more agile very soon.

Sending big http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/Hugs2.gif to you both.

Daisy and Delilah
09-23-2006, 05:39 AM
Keep on eating something Big Guy!! You can do it. Mom and Pet Talk need for you to get well real soon. Thoughts and prayers still there for you guys,Val. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

BitsyNaceyDog
09-23-2006, 07:37 AM
I just saw this. I'm glad he ate his chicken. I hope the new medicine has him feeling back to his old self.

moosmom
09-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Oh Val,

I'm so sorry to hear about Dukie. I just read this thread and want you to know that I love him as he is Doogie's best bud, AND I know you love him more than anything in the world. I'm glad he's eating and drinking again. You and Duke will be in my thoughts and prayers.

((((HUGS))))))) and lots of love,

Donna

Pembroke_Corgi
09-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Duke. I'll keep him in my thoughts.

trayi52
09-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Val, I am so sorry to hear that Duke isn't feeling well. I am praying that he will be feeling like himself again real soon. I love Duke, he is one of my favorite here at Pet Talk. Give him a hug and a great big kiss from me, please!

Sending lots of Hugs and lots of Love to you and Sweet Duke,
Willie

JenBKR
09-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Lots of good thoughts and prayers coming from me for sweet Duke. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Toby's my baby
09-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Val, I am so very very sorry! :( You and Duke will be in the thoughts and prayers. I hope he is alright.

Randi
09-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Val, I'm so sorry to hear Duke isn't well. :( I hope he'll continue to eat more and more, and get better!

Sending lots of positive thoughts.

((((hugs)))))

gini
09-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Val, my heart goes out to you as you treat Duke. I know how much we suffer too when we see our pets decline in health.

dukedogsmom
09-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Duke's still only eating chicken so far. I'm going to try and mix a little of his canned food in a few minutes. I've been making sure he's been getting rest today. I really don't want to go to work tonight. He's going to stay I'm mom's bedroom tonight. I don't want him being by himself. Poor guy looks at me so sad. I know he doesn't feel completely well. I think the new medicine is helping slightly. I probably won't get the bloodwork results until Monday now. I'll just be glad when he feels better.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Love to you and darling Duke

K9soul
09-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Val, I'm sorry I'm just reading this. Please know you and precious Duke are in my thoughts and prayers. Duke has a special place in my heart and it grieves me to see he hasn't been himself. :( Do you still have my number? Don't hesitate to call if you need to talk. Lots of hugs and many prayers going your way.

CathyBogart
09-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Dear Duke, I'll keep you and your mama in my thoughts and prayers. Please feel better soon darling boy.

Rachel
09-23-2006, 04:55 PM
I keep checking in for the latest update. Keep the faith, Val. I've got my fingers crossed that Duke will feel better soon. It is so hard to see them not eat. Sometimes you want to say, please eat so I feel better.

Glacier
09-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Hope Duke is feeling better soon.

dukedogsmom
09-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I wish I hadn't come to work. I'm sitting at my desk fighting back tears. Duke only eats the chicken when I feed it to him in bites. I'm so worried about him that I'm making myself about sick. I only came in because we're so short handed but I'm pretty much a basket case. Thanks for all your kind words.

caseysmom
09-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Val, could he just be a bit under the weather? We humans get minor illnesses but Duke can't communicate that to you.

Think of it like an aging human, we have our bouts with things but every bout with something isn't the big one, I know its hard not to but try not to make yourself sick over this, Duke needs you healthy.

Daisy and Delilah
09-23-2006, 07:01 PM
My heart is breaking for you Val. I am hoping everything will be better soon. I know how hard this is for you. :( {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Dorothy39
09-23-2006, 07:05 PM
I feel your despair.

So , HOLD ONTO US!!!!

I am praying that Duke is going through a PHASE (treatable illness) now!!

I am praying that this PHASE will pass.

{{{HUGS}}}} dukedogsmom----- :(

finn's mom
09-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm so sorry that things are so hard for you two. I am praying hard for Duke. :( I want him to be happy again.

Vela
09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I hope this is just a temporary tummy upset Duke is having and that he recovers soon. I will send prayers and thoughts that he will bounce back and be his old self soon so you don't have so much worry. Hugs to you and Duke.

cloverfdx
09-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Val you are in my thoughts {{Hugs}}. Good vibes on the way for precious Duke.

{{HUGS}} For you both.

ChrisH
09-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Aw, Val, it is so hard being at work with a sick dog at home. I clearly remember how it was, years ago, leaving my souldog Max home while I was at work. {{big http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/Hugs2.gif }

Prayers & positive thoughts continuing for dear Duke boy, and you too.

AdoreMyDogs
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Val I am so sorry you are having to go threw this. I know how bad it hurts to see them in pain. My dearest Graham went well before I was ready to let him go. I still hear him bark when I come home every day and he's been gone for 2 months now. It was truly the hardest thing I've ever had to go threw with my dear boy and my heart is still broken. I can't seem to get over the grief. I am so sorry that you are having to go threw sweet Duke going threw the aging process. It's not easy for anyone, especially those that have the pleasure of being owned by their heart-dog, dog of a lifetime.

I don't come on PT very much but was so sad to read this. You are in my prayers and I hope, regardless of what happens, you can focus on the good memories you have with your precious angel boy. I hope the meds he's taking help and you get some more years out of him. I'd hug you if I could :( I know how much it hurts.

Love,

Leslie and family

Karen
09-24-2006, 04:57 PM
You and Duke are both in our prayers. Love you!

dukedogsmom
09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone. Duke is in much better spirits today. His ears are up and he's wagging his tail and I swear I saw him smiling. He's still only eating the chicken so when I get up tomorrow afternoon, going to ask the vet what I should do about that. Also, his bloodwork results should be in. I think his new pain medication is doing really well! Mom says he slept on my bed all night long. He also walked with mom down our long driveway. He's walking a lot better but still falls, especially if he tries to shake his head. He only fell once for her and that was when they just started. Before we went to the vet, he couldn't even jump up on it without falling. So, I'm glad to have a little good news to give you. And it makes my heart so much happier. What a difference a day makes. I got some pics of him and Doogie enjoying his bed tonight before I left for work. I'll try to put it up here tomorrow. Thanks so much for all your kind words and prayers. They seem to be working so don't stop now.

chocolatepuppy
09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Glad to hear Duke is feeling a bit better Val. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Duke is doing better and I hope he continues to improve. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.:)

anna_66
09-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Val I'm so very glad to hear that Duke is in better spirits today, and I'm sure that's made you very happy:)
I'm still thinking about the two of you and hope that things will continue to get better for your boy.
Lots of love, hugs and prayers.
Anna

wolf_Q
09-24-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm glad to hear Duke is improving, I hope he continues to do so! :)

cyber-sibes
09-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Val, so glad Duke is feeling a little better. will keep up prayers for his health. Hope all goes well with the vet tomorrow. :) I'll be thinking 'bout ya.

Kater
09-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Continued good thoughts for sweet Duke!! :)

ChrisH
09-25-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm so pleased to read that Duke is feeling happier and getting about better. :D

Prayers and positive thoughts continuing.

{{hugs}}

cloverfdx
09-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Ohh Val i am so happy to hear Duke is feeling better :D. Continued good vibes on the way for you both.. takecare {{Hugs}}.

finn's mom
09-25-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm glad that Duke had a good day, may he have many more. It was hard hearing that he wasn't feeling well.

lisalee
09-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm glad to hear Duke is feeling better. I will keep you and Duke in my thoughts and prayers that he continues to improve. I can understand your intense love for him and how worried you must have been. I've been there myself.

caseysmom
09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Oh Duke I am glad your feeling better, you need to stop worrying your mom so much.

jazzcat
09-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm so glad to hear Duke is feeling better.

Keep it up Duke!

Jadapit
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm so glad your sweet Duke is feeling better. Keep it up Duke! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
09-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that Duke doing better. :)

lizbud
09-25-2006, 12:17 PM
It's good to hear that Duke is feeling better.I hope he has many more
good days to come.

My Peanuts
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Glad to hear that Duke is doing better.

More prayers on the way.

Logan
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Whew!!!! :) Baby steps, Val........just keep thinking about one day at a time and it is SO good to hear that he is better. We will continue to keep Duke and you in our prayers.

Logan

lv4dogs
09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm so glad to hear Duke is doing so well. I hope it continues.

catnapper
09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Glad to hear Duke is doing much better. Give him gentle kisses from me please.

dukedogsmom
09-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Duke seems to be feeling a lot better today. He had his rawhide ready to play with me when I got home. However, I'm a little worried because now I can't even get him to eat any chicken. His bloodwork is in and I'm waiting for the vet to call me back and read it to me. I hope I don't have to take him back but if he doesn't start eating soon, I will. He's been eating nothing but a little chicken since Thursday evening.
Here's Duke and Doogie yesterday before I left for work
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/092406_1.jpg
And here he is this morning, ready to play
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/092506_1.jpg
What can I do to make him eat? Also, he hasn't had a good bm in a few days. Don't know if I should be worried or not.

catnapper
09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I would think that if he hasn't been eating that he wouldn't have a good BM. Hmmm.... to entice him to eat? Did you try cheese? Carrots? Beef Hot dogs? Baloney? Food is food at this point, and I know a lot of dogs like the things I just mentioned. Try to find nice smelly food like Baloney to entice him.

caseysmom
09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
If he hasn't eaten well I wouldn't worry too much about the bm. I think Kim has a good idea, something smelly may entice him.

pitc9
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh Duke you silly boy! That picture of him with the rawhide is so funny!
Val.... I'm sending you and Duke thousands of hugs and prayers!

dukedogsmom
09-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I just talked to the vet about Duke. His bloodwork was pretty much normal. However, I can't even get him to eat chicken today. So, he's got an 8am appt tomorrow. I'm so glad I'm off tomorrow as I'm working tonight. Something's got to be wrong for him not to eat. He wasn't as perky this evening as he was this morning. And when I give him the chicken, he just spits it out. I hope we can find out what's happening with him.

Argranade
09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Prayers still at ya! :)

slleipnir
09-25-2006, 08:03 PM
You and Duke are in my thoughts. I hope you work everything out :)

Daisy and Delilah
09-25-2006, 08:04 PM
More {{{{{HUGS}}}}} Val and Duke. I'm praying for you to get better every day Big Man!! Mama needs you sweetie! :(

Dorothy39
09-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I am Praying Real Hard for YOU and for Duke!!!!

more {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}.

trayi52
09-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Just like Dorothy, I am praying really hard for you and Duke, Val.

Willie

KYS
09-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Poor Duke,
I am glad his blood work is normal and he is feeling a little better.
How frustrating not knowing what is wrong. :(
Sending oodles and oodles of get well wishes.

slick
09-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Val: forgive me for not posting until now as I have been reading this thread today. I just want you to know that both you and Duke are in my prayers and I know that God will help those whitecoats find out what the problem is.

Big {{{hugs}}} to you.
Slick xoxoxoxoxoxo

Catty1
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
It kind of sounds like something is blocking his digestive system...cause like you said he can get wagging his tail and perky...I hope you and the vets find out what the matter is and Duke feels lots better soon! :)

luvofallhorses
09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
I just talked to the vet about Duke. His bloodwork was pretty much normal. However, I can't even get him to eat chicken today. So, he's got an 8am appt tomorrow. I'm so glad I'm off tomorrow as I'm working tonight. Something's got to be wrong for him not to eat. He wasn't as perky this evening as he was this morning. And when I give him the chicken, he just spits it out. I hope we can find out what's happening with him.

this post breaks my heart. :( please eat, Duke! :( (((Valerie & Duke))) I hope you can find out what's wrong with him and I will hope and pray it isn't anything too serious.

ChrisH
09-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Glad the bloodwork came back ok, it is a worry that he isn't eating though. Prayers & positive thoughts for the vet visit.
{{hugs}}

pitc9
09-26-2006, 12:07 PM
How is he today Val??

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
We have had "Duke" on our minds and in our Prayers!!!

I hope you are feeling better today!!!!!

dukedogsmom
09-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Duke played again when I got home this morning. The vet told me that one of the side effects of his new medication is loss of appetite :( So, he doesn't want Duke to have any of his meds until thursday morning. I hate that the new stuff was helping him so much and now he can't use it like he should. Vet said there may be another one we could try or just try less of the one he has now. We just woke up and he ate two pieces of chicken. Still wouldn't eat his dog food, though. Hopefully, he will tomorrow. He's lost 4 pounds since Friday. He also had a good bm at the vet today. That's another side effect of the new med. Let's hope he eats tomorrow.

lv4dogs
09-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Is there any drug that improves appetitie that can be given with the drug that helps him?

I've been thinking about you & Duke today. I hope he gets better soon.

joycenalex
09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
if duke won't eat chicken, what about tuna, or a cooked fish? i know when alex had his last bout of pancreatitis, the tuna juice was a favorite. thinking of you both.

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Ahhh, Poor Duke. I've had him on my mind today, waiting for the up date that you posted.

I'm glad that he at least "Ate" something, but like you said, he has lost 4 pounds since Friday .Hopefully, the Vet will focus on Dear Dukes' medications and find an alternative solution.

Maybe if you try the tuna , as joycenalex recommended, or, some "Salmon"!!!

My daughters' dogs, (German Sheperds) go NUTS for salmon.

I'd be going nuts ~~~~You need a big {{{HUG}}}}}

Kater
09-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I would try tripe...it is very smelly and most dogs can't resist. The only dog food tripe prep I've seen around here is by Solid Gold:
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=60&code=262

However, there may be other brands at your local pet store.

Many {{hugs}} to you and Duke!

Logan
09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Valerie, I don't know what to suggest, but I hope you know that you and Duke are in my prayers. :)

Logan

dukedogsmom
09-26-2006, 07:12 PM
:) Thanks for all the suggestions on what he might like. However, I have to be very careful because he almost died from pancreatitis about 4 or so years ago. So, I can't just feed him anything. I am happy to report that he just ate a boiled egg on his own and then two small chicken breasts. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and find some canned chicken that he would like and maybe mix it with his dry and see if he will eat it. Oh, he had his noserubber after that and I sang to him. That made me really happy.

Dorothy39
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I just know that your Duke is going to be alright!!! What a wonderful post, he ate a boiled egg and two small chicken breast, I'd be inclined to sing to him myself.

More positive Prayers for you and for Duke!!!!!!!!

Daisy and Delilah
09-26-2006, 09:49 PM
More thoughts and prayers going out for you two :) C'mon Duke!! You can get better sweetie!! We know you can do it! :)
{{{{{{{{GIANT HUGS FOR VAL AND DUKE}}}}}}}}

micki76
09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Salmon is a fatty fish, so I wouldn't do that since he's had pancreatitis. Chester, like Alex, always does very well with tuna or whitefish.

Good bloodwork is always a relief, but I hope he starts eating soon.

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-27-2006, 06:15 AM
OH GOSH!! I didn't know Duke wasn't feeling well!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]
for Duke!! I hope you are feeling better soon you HANDSOME HANDSOME doggie!!!

ChrisH
09-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Oh, Val, I am so glad to hear Duke ate his boiled egg and some chicken, :) mixing the canned chicken in sounds a real good idea too.

{{{hugs}}} for you both.

Prayers and positive thought contining.

Corinna
09-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Come on Duke ole boy you are scaring mommy you keep eating your eggs and chickem.

cyber-sibes
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Still praying for Duke. Great to hear that he is eating al little on his own! As far as not eating his dogfood - who knows? When I've fed mine real meat, fish, eggs, etc., they seem to go "on strike" about their dogfood..spoiled! :rolleyes:
Come on, Duke, take another bite!

My Peanuts
09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
My childhood pup, Barney, had pancreatitis. He was born in 1976 (5 years before me) and he died in 1994. Yep, he was 18 years old. He was also diabetic from the age of 12. Pancreatitis is a lot of ups and downs, but don't give up. I know you're not giving up, just giving you extra encouragement :).

Ginger's Mom
09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
I have been a little out of touch on this thread. Just tried to do a quick read through to catch up. So Duke's bloodwork came out well, and he is starting to eat a little better? But, he has a follow-up visit tomorrow at the vet to get his med's straightened out. Is that correct? Hope all goes well, and that this is just a little glitch that comes with the change in seasons (as much as it changes down there), and the Duke is soon feeling like his old self again soon.

pitc9
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Good boy Duke!!
Now eat another egg!! :D
Hugs to you Val!!

CagneyDog
09-27-2006, 07:49 PM
He's in my prayers.

{{{hugs}}}} to both of you.

K9karen
09-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Always thinking about our favorite boy. Loving hugs and prayers from K-lo and me.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-28-2006, 04:33 AM
Good boy Duke! Eating little and often is better than not at all

Dorothy39
09-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Still checking in on The Duke Thread~~~~~

I'm hoping that he is eating" anything "as well as everything he can , and that he will be feeling much better when I read your up date.

Please Get Welll Duke~~~~. ;)

lv4dogs
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of yous daily. I hope he gets better & soon. {{hugs}} to both of you!

dukedogsmom
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Duke is seeming more like his old self. He's falling but not as much and seems much happier. However, I still can only get him to eat chicken. After much coaxing, he did eat two mouthfuls of his dry food this morning. I'm waiting to hear from the vet. I want to ask if he can at least be given his Metacam. He's getting really stiff and has to get up and down slowly. I just wish he would eat a decent meal before I have to go to work tonight. Thanks for all the good thoughts.

slick
09-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey Duke.....you have no idea how many prayers are being said for you all around the world. Come on boy, we want to see you eat a good meal. Oh how I wish I lived closer so I could walk over with some of my home made doggie treats.

Big slurpy kisses you Duke and {{{hugs}}} Val. I be checking on this tomorrow.

dukedogsmom
09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Had to talk to the vet this afternoon. Duke's bm was nasty. I won't go into details. I had to go to the store and get him some Maalox. He still won't eat anything but chicken. So, we didn't feed him tonight. I'm hoping he'll eat tomorrow. When he was eating the chicken this morning, I heard his tummy growl so I know he's hungry. I was able to give him his Metacam today, too. Please pray he eats soon! If he doesn't it's back to the vet on Monday morning. I'm about sick over him being sick.

trayi52
09-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the update, Val. I am praying very hard that Duke will start eating and get well very soon. I know this has been very hard on you.

Sending prayers and lots of good thoughts to you and Duke.

Lots of hugs,
Willie

Uabassoon
09-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he gets his appetite back soon.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Awww, poor Duke. I hope he starts eating again, and doesn't have to make another trip to the vet so soon.

gini
09-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Val, sending prayers and good thoughts that your boy will start eating again soon.

All of this is so stressful for you.

Dorothy39
09-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry that you and Duke Boy are going through this compounded stress.

I'm Praying that his condition ( set back) will be turning back in his favor soon.

Prayers for YOU and for DUKE!!!!

Daisy and Delilah
09-29-2006, 05:53 AM
I can only imagine the agony you're both going through, Val :( This is so heartbreaking. Please get better Duke!! Mom, and all the world, wants you to get better and start eating!
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

lv4dogs
09-29-2006, 08:01 AM
I am so sorry Val that you are going through this with Duke. Yous have been in my thoughts & prayers everyday. I so wish I could wave a magic wand & make it all better for yous.
Stay strong Duke, we all want to see you get better!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Dear Val and Duke

You are both in my thoughts..hope it helps that so many people are thinking of you

anna_66
09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Val I know just how you feel getting sick worrying for him. I'm really sorry your having to go through this.
Know that you'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.
Anna

K9soul
09-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Val, you and Duke are still in my thoughts and prayers.. Sending you both ((hugs))

cyber-sibes
09-29-2006, 08:46 AM
:( Wish I was close enough to bring him some of my chicken rice soup. (((hugs))) to you & Duke, still praying he'll get back to his old self.

Vela
09-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Prayers still coming that he gets better, I know this has to be so stressful.

Dorothy39
09-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Duke~~~~~and Val~~~~~

We are all Thinking of You~~~Praying for any Improvement!!! :o

pitc9
09-29-2006, 09:38 AM
{{{HUGS}}}
To you both!!

Logan
09-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Val, is he having bad diarrhea? Does he throw up at all? Make sure you report ever incident, however minor, to the vet. After going through so much with our Murphy and Zipper, I get on edge when I learn that one of our precious dogs is not eating. I'm not trying to add any alarm, just concern.

I know that sometimes the vet will give Prednisone to stimulate the appetite. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I just hope that maybe the Metacam will settle him down. It is supposedly the "wonder drug" for bad tummies and Zipper took it in high doses.

Please know that Duke and you continue to be in my prayers.

Logan

slick
09-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Just want you both to know that I have you on my mind and in my prayers today.

krazyaboutkatz
09-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Val, both you and Duke continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he starts eating normally for you soon.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Prayers on the way from me for you and sweet Duke !!!

slleipnir
09-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Still thinking of you and Duke...Get better soon, Duke!

dukedogsmom
09-29-2006, 04:15 PM
He's still only eating chicken :( Should I get tough tomorrow and only offer to feed him his dog food? He is eating his treats normally now which hasn't happened before last night.

caseysmom
09-29-2006, 05:07 PM
I definetely wouldn't get tough, feed him whatever he will eat.

lizbud
09-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Valerie, it wouldn't hurt to try. I'd keep the chicken on hand, just in case.

ChrisH
09-30-2006, 09:08 AM
He's still only eating chicken :( Should I get tough tomorrow and only offer to feed him his dog food? He is eating his treats normally now which hasn't happened before last night.
Val, maybe try cutting up the chicken into small pieces and mixing it well with some of his regular food? Adding gravy/stock if it's dry food maybe.

{{hugs}}

dukedogsmom
09-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Good news! I was getting ready to open a can of food and maybe try and get Duke to eat half with some dry. He started eating dry food on his own. It wasn't a lot and I didn't try and make him eat more. I figure he knows better than I how much to eat. So, tomorrow I will put half a can of food with his dry. I think he's pretty hungry so he should begin to start eating fine tomorrow.

This morning, I took him for a short walk after I got home. Let him enjoy all the smells and I thought it would be good for his hip, too.

I swear I think he had some sort of virus. Can dogs get those? He's not nearly as unstable though he is a bit wobbly still.

I am so thankful that he's starting to eat again. Makes me so happy. He's feeling and acting much like his old self :D

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
09-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the wonderful update Valerie.:D Yes, maybe he caught a bug and just wasn't feeling well. I know exactly what you're feeling because my baby Ziggy is now eating on her own again too after being sick. May Duke continue to improve. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.:)

Dorothy39
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh, What a splendid update on Dear Duke!!!

Now you can look forward to getting up in the morning and watching him eat. I was hoping and praying that he would make a turn around soon.

Sensational News!!!!!!!!! :p

caseysmom
09-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Sounds like he had some kind of a bug Val. I am glad he is getting to feeling better.

cyber-sibes
09-30-2006, 09:16 PM
:D Good boy, Duke! glad he's feeling a little better.

gini
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Such good news! I hope the news just gets better and better!

ChrisH
10-01-2006, 05:03 AM
That's great news!! :D Certainly made me start my Sunday with a smile!

{{hugs}} for you both.

Daisy and Delilah
10-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Great news Val!! I had a feeling that Duke just caught a little bug. I think Duke has plenty of good time left on this earth and I had confidence that it would pass. Still keeping him in my thoughts and prayers for a swift and complete recovery. This is just what I needed to start my day too!! :)

lizbud
10-01-2006, 04:24 PM
This is wonderful news. :) I'm so glad he's feeling better and eating
more now.Way to go Duke. :)

trayi52
10-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Loved hearing that Duke is feeling better. Hope to hearing he is doing even better and better.

Willie :)

dukedogsmom
10-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Great news! He ate a whole can of food tonight. I'm so very thankful he's well. I took a pic of him having his noserubber tonight. It's the first one he's had in about a week and a half. Duke says thanks to everyone who's wished him well.

Daisy and Delilah
10-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Good Boy Duke!!! We know how happy you've made your Mom and we're pretty happy too!! :) Kisses and hugs all around!!

luvofallhorses
10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
that's great news, Val! :D I hope he continues to do better. :)

wolf_Q
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm glad to hear that Duke is feeling better! :)

caseysmom
10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
I am so relieved Val thank goodness!

Dorothy39
10-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Good for you Duke!!!!! That news certainly brightened my day!!!

So glad to know that Mommy is on top of things!!!!!! ;)

Flatcoatluver
10-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I am so happy to hear how well Duke is feeling!! Still prayers for you and him.

Logan
10-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah!!!!!!! :) Keep up the good work, Valerie and Duke!!!! :D

dukedogsmom
10-02-2006, 08:41 PM
I've been telling mom that I think Duke had some sort of stroke. So, I googled dogs and stroke and got this:
http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=1872#ct-4
So, I guess he had a vestibular disease. Sounds just like what he was doing and they say it's over in 2-3 weeks. He's doing good today, which I'm very thankful. He was even smiling after getting the ear song from grandma. He's still just a little uneasy on his feet, can't walk in a straight line anymore and if he shakes his head or sneezes, loses his balance. But, he's a huge amount better and he's dealing with this minor imbalance just fine. I'm so happy he's well. Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts.

trayi52
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
That is really wonderful news!! Val, I am so happy to hear Duke is doing so well now!

Willie :)

Dorothy39
10-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Me too, Says Dorothy39, I am so glad that Duke is doing well.!!! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Valerie, I'm so glad that Duke is doing much better and I hope that he'll continue to improve each day.:) Maybe you should discuss this vestibular disease with your vet. I wonder if it can happen again. I sure hope not. Take care.

K9karen
10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Whew! K-lo and I are so glad our baby boy is feeling better. *Sigh* Getting older for any species sucks,but thankfully Duke's improving. The vet thinks Cody had a slight stroke once, and it scares the He** out of you. {Hugs} to you my friend and extra smoochies for Duke from his Glenside girls!

BC_MoM
10-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm so glad Duke is feeling a bit better. :) Still sending good thoughts and vibes his and your way!

Daisy and Delilah
10-03-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm so glad you feel better Duke!! I'll continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, Val!! {{{{HUGS FOR DUKE AND VAL}}}} :)

ChrisH
10-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Oh, Val, it is so good to hear Duke is doing so well. :D :D Big, big hugs to you both.

Kater
10-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Duke has been in my thoughts. I'm so glad to read that he is doing better!!
{{{BIG HUGS}}}

dukedogsmom
10-08-2006, 11:53 PM
He's doing great :D We played a bit with his rawhide before I had to leave for work. How I love that dog. He just can't walk in a straight line now and if he shakes his head while standing, almost falls, sometimes does. Bless his heart.

Daisy and Delilah
10-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Thank heaven he's doing so well, Val. Please give that sweet boy some kisses from us!! :)

delidog
10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
So Glad to see that Duke is Well!!!!!
Keep it Up Good Boy Duke!!!!

Randi
10-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm so glad to hear Duke is getting better. :) Hopefully he'll keep eating and improve day by day. I'll certainly send positive thoughts!

((((hugs))))

pitc9
10-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Oh Val... hugs to you and Duke!
Glad to hear he's feeling better!

AdoreMyDogs
10-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Yay good boy, Duke! What a good boy for eating your food! I'm so glad he's feeling better!!!!!

Logan
10-09-2006, 10:47 AM
:) What wonderful news!!!!