PDA

View Full Version : Any computer people here??

slleipnir
09-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm not really sure how to explain this, but here goes....

I download these video files. I actually don't know what extention because for some reason my computer doesn't say what they are??

Anyway, some of these will play fine. I use Media Player Classic. However, all of a sudden some will not. I get a message that says

"Media Player Classic has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

I don't understand? Some of my files and USE to play, don't anymore...it does this with any program I tried, like BS player, and winamp and core Media player...I have rebooted, did a virus scan...I'm not sure what else to do? I really want to watch the file....any ideas??

Dorothy39
09-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm not a computer expert, sorry, I just had to read what your problem was and see if it matched my same problem.

Sorry slleipnir, , but I know someone will help you out soon.

RedHedd
09-20-2006, 02:10 PM
I download these video files. I actually don't know what extention because for some reason my computer doesn't say what they are??
When you're in the folder where these files are stored, go to "View" and select "Details" this should show the file extensions. When you discern what the extensions are, highlight the offending file, go to "File" "Open with" and make sure that file type is set to open with your preferred video viewer (this is where you can change it by going to the "Choose Program" option. Note that Media Player won't play Quicktime (Apple) files and vice-versa. HTH

Randi
09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Note that Media Player won't play Quicktime (Apple) files and vice-versa. HTH
If it's a Quicktime file, you can download QT for free, here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

RedHedd
09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
If it's a Quicktime file, you can download QT for free, here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
Right, but just be careful as it now automatically installs iTunes and some other junk during the installation; be sure you deselect those options during the installation. The reviews of the latest version of iTunes are NOT good - big time memory hog.

Catty1
09-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Try updating the program.

Jessika
09-20-2006, 04:49 PM
From my understanding, the program played these files fine without a problem before, but now suddenly when you try playing the same files it won't play anymore?? Make sure the program is updated, or else try reinstalling the program.

Vette
09-20-2006, 05:17 PM
If all else fails,, try this thing... www.videolan.org/vlc

its saved my butt a few times when my computer wouldnt play some video file formats

slleipnir
09-20-2006, 05:57 PM
They're not quicktime files. Media player Classic and windows media player are different programs too. Also, as I said I've tried 4 differnt programs...I doubt they are all out of date??? I tried the view thing,a nd it says type "media player classic" it doesn't say an extention???

I'll try updating it..it's just weird it lets me play SOME files, and won't let me play others...I'm sure it's the same extention...

It says this if I click on details
" this error report includes: information regarding the condition of Media Player Classic when the problem occured the operating system version and computer hardware in use; your digital product ID, which could be used to identify your licence and the IP address of your computer"

slleipnir
09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
The file is avi

Blue_Frog
09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
If you want to view file extensions that aren't being displayed...

1. Open the folder where the files are located
2. Click on 'Tools' from the top row of the window (ie. File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help) and select 'Folder Options'
3. A new window will open. Click on the 'View' tab.
4. Uncheck the box titled 'Hide File Extensions from Known File Types'
5. Click 'Apply', and 'Ok'

that should allow you to view file types in the future.

Now, a couple of questions --

1. What are -all- the programs you have tried opening this file in? Can you open the Windows Media Player by itself (click Start - Programs - Windows Media Player)?

2. Just to confirm -- this is happening opening ALL AVI files, not just the newly downloaded ones?

3. Its possible you have a corrupted program, but if it's failing in ALL programs you might have a corrupted set of codecs -- usually downloading and installing DivX will install the most common codecs to play the files. Codecs are a pain in the rear - from my understanding theres wayyyy many programs to create movie files, and all do differnet encoding even if its the same file type (ie. AVI), so codecs tell the computer how to handle the audio and video streams. Try the free download - http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

-- you mentioned that you also had Media Player Classic -- you could also try reinstalling Media Player Classic from http://www.free-codecs.com/Media_Player_Classic_download.htm

4. One other thing you can try doing is Removing / Readding the Windows Media Player:
- Click on Start - Settings - Control Panel
- Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon
- From the tabs on the left side of the window, select the 'ADD/REMOVE Windows Components' option
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and uncheck the 'Windows Media Player' option.
- Click Next, and click Finished. It should be removed from your system (confirm by checking the list in Start-Programs -- it should be gone from here). Close all open windows
- Download Windows Media Player 10 from microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx . Download to your computer and then run the file once its downloaded. Its about 23MB so may take a little bit. Run the file and follow the prompts, and try rebooting your computer once its done.

Thats all I can think of for now :)

slleipnir
09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I fixed it....

I remembered I installed new codecs a few days ago to allow me to see subtitles...I deleted it and it works now...I guess I'll just install them when I want to see the subtiles.

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Blue frog: Thanks for taking the time to post all that info. I actually use Media player Classic, not Windows Media player. (although I tried it too) I guess it was just codecs.

Blue_Frog
09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
yeah -- i had an issue with a codec a while back, it made all my avi's have green bars through them :rolleyes: pretty much had to go through what you did (and lots of trial and error) but eventually got it fixed.

gotta love computers :P

slleipnir
09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
yeah -- i had an issue with a codec a while back, it made all my avi's have green bars through them :rolleyes: pretty much had to go through what you did (and lots of trial and error) but eventually got it fixed.

gotta love computers :P

Yeah, I was actually going to delete and reinstall my codecs, but then I remembered one I just installed. I don't really understand why it messed things up, but I guess I don't need it.