PDA

View Full Version : Rope Toys

mina'smomma
09-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I know I only have cats, but after the news I just received I wanted to warn others who have such precious dears and ask that prayers be sent for my grandparents as they bury their baby girl Pudgey.

She passed away this morning as a result of having rope from her toys in her stomach and intestine. At first sign of a problem my grandparents took her to the doctor and he told them about the rope and did two emergency surgeries. One to remove the rope and the other because of the inflammation. Needless to say all the rope toys that I had purchased for my mom's dogs are in a bag being returned to the petstore and a letter from my grandparents vet stating that no small animal should have rope toys.

For those who want to know Pudgey is a daschund and is survived by her daughter Patches and sister Mabelene as well as my grandparents.

RIP Pudgers :( I'll miss you. :(

Kfamr
09-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Firstly, I'm very sorry for your family's loss. Send my condolences to your grandparents.

Secondly, there have been other cases like Pudgey's. But the fact of the matter is, ANYTHING we give our pets has the potential to be dangerous.

Instead of completely taking away their toys, it is up to us to make sure toys are thrown away when they begin to tear or come apart. When we find pieces missing, they must be disposed, the toy and all - or repaired.

Pets should be supervised when playing with toys to insure that none of the material is being eaten.

catmandu
09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Some excellent advice and a word to the wise.

mina'smomma
09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Firstly, I'm very sorry for your family's loss. Send my condolences to your grandparents.

Secondly, there have been other cases like Pudgey's. But the fact of the matter is, ANYTHING we give our pets has the potential to be dangerous.

Instead of completely taking away their toys, it is up to us to make sure toys are thrown away when they begin to tear or come apart. When we find pieces missing, they must be disposed, the toy and all - or repaired.

Pets should be supervised when playing with toys to insure that none of the material is being eaten.

I understand you are trying to be helpful Kfamr and the toys I am referring to are the rope toys with the the frayed ends. Like the lion I bought for my mom's dog. The only places it isn't frayed is arms. Everything else is frayed and fuzzy. I will also forward you condolences to my grandparents and I know they will appreciate it.

The piece of string the killed Pudgey was only about two inches long. That is no longer than my pinky. I just wanted to make other pet owners aware that this can happen. Normally when a toy starts showing fray my grandparents throw them away, and replaces them with something new. The doctor thinks it was accidental swallowing since the piece is so short, but I felt that the notice should be posted here since I know everyone loves their babies. The doctor also said that small dogs like Pudge was should not have rope toys because their body is a lot smaller and have a harder time passing accidental ingestions of things like string.

Dorothy39
09-20-2006, 10:26 AM
mina'smomma,

I am so sad and disheartened from reading your post about your Grandparent's Dachshund, Pudgey

Please Offer them my Sincere Condolences. :(

In addition to your "Memorial" for her, You also reminded all of us with Fur Family members to carefully inspect their toys.

Which is just what I am going to do right now!!!!

Rest In Peace ~~~~Dear Pudgey

BC_MoM
09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
That's horrible. I'm so sorry. :(

My two dogs love rope toys. I can't imagine taking them away completely. I don't let them chew off the strings on the ends.

Rachel
09-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Your grandparents must be heart broken at the loss of their little Pudgey. These type of situations just can never be completely prevented, but one does what one can to be cautious. My Tucker had to have surgery (before he came to live with us) with dislodge foreign objects. My Hannah is a miracle considering all the things she has gotten into without getting an obstruction.

Please tell your grandparents that I am so so sorry for their loss.

Jessika
09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Ropes are meant to be chew toys and not to be shredded or consumed (well, obviously). Charlie LOVES rope toys... but he loves them because he likes chewing and pulling at the frayed rope at the end of the toy, not actually playing with the toy itself. So those all were taken away after reading about someone else's dog and how they died from blockage, the FIRST image that popped into my head was Charlie laying on the carpet chewing at the frayed end of the rope.

It is true, ANYTHING given to a pet has potential to be dangerous, same with children. That's why you should never have your pet unsupervised with toys or treats.

CagneyDog
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
How awful :( I avoid rope toys for that reason.

cyber-sibes
09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
:( RIP Pudgy. My condolences to your grandparents, they must be heartbroken.