PDA

View Full Version : Baking/cooking impaired?

cmayer31
09-19-2006, 11:52 PM
For some reason the baking gene seems to have skipped over me. It's quite strange, my dad is a good cook, my brother is a good cook, and my mom is an excellent cook. I on the other hand can manage to screw up brownie mix out of a box; 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup water, 2 eggs mix with brownie mix and put in oven for ~45-50 min. I think the only things that I can cook without a microwave are eggs and grilled cheese.

Anyone else out there that was skipped when it came to cooking ability?

Karen
09-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Everyone in my family can cook - it is a matter of being able to follow instructions, and then knowing when one can disregard them!

Corinna
09-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Had to learn out of nessisaty broke as a kid and had child with huge allergys.

Dorothy39
09-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Can I bake?

YES!!!

You are reading the words from a woman who threw out her very first batch of homemade bread for the vultures to devour!!!! :rolleyes:

But, persistance pays off!!! If there is a will, there is a way.

I was raised by the World War 2 Generation women, so, of course, I'd better get it right!!! No box mixes allowed either!!! :eek

All I had to do was WATCH them and pay attention to detail!!!!

But, I do like those Boxed Brownies!!!! ;)

Sonia59
09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Although I can't say I am a great cook I can cook and I love it! I love preparing elaborated meals for my guests, family or friends. I love good fresh ingredients, I love trying and learning new recipes. And I love eating good cook :D

catnapper
09-20-2006, 07:53 AM
I can't cook to save mt life. Hubby even says I can ruin water.

But I can make some awesome cookies. Nobody can fiugure it out - my cookies are by far the best in the family. :D

Kfamr
09-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Not impaired here.

I love to cook and I am good at cooking. However, I am a messy cook! That's why my dogs love me.

The only way I'll cook is if someone promises to clean dishes afterwards. ;)

cloverfdx
09-20-2006, 08:41 AM
It is hit and miss with me ;). I am shocking at baking things like brownies and cakes, but can make slices :confused:.

BC_MoM
09-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I cannot cook! lol

Logan
09-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I am an improving cook. I still have my mistakes, especially when trying new things, but the more you do it, the better you will be. I don't hear many complaints when I cook, around here, for sure. :)

Logan
09-20-2006, 10:42 AM
One more really big thing to consider, when you are baking, is to get to know your oven. Buy a thermometer so you can check the accurate temperature. I have learned (the hard way) that many times, just because you set it to 350º, it doesn't necessarily mean that is the temp in your oven, especially with electric ovens.

Logan

Ginger's Mom
09-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Hahaha, I am a really awful cook. If you want to see my family leave in a hurry, just have me offer to cook them dinner. :) My first dog (Peaches) would not eat anything I cooked. I would put left-overs in her bowl, and she would sniff it and walk away. :eek: Now, you know that is pretty bad.

I am alright with baking though (I make good chocolate chip cookies :) ).

sparks19
09-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I can cook and bake. It just kinda comes naturally to me and the more I do it the more creative I find I can be. I made a chicken and mushroom casserole last night and I just made it up as I went along. LOL

I never really used to like cooking but now that I am with my husband and he likes everything I can experiment. when I was living with my dad it was spaghetti, fried egg sandwiches, hamburger gravy, or hamburgers and fries LOL. My dad doesn't like anything "new". With my husband he eats all veggies and likes a wide variety of foods. I think I am pickier than he is. so now it is exciting to cook new meals.

I have been baking for years. used to bake with my mom when I was a kid. Can't wait to make christmas cookies lol.

However, our friend marjie can't cook ANYTHING. she has top of the line cookware and everything you could imagine but she couldn't cook grilled cheese lol.

luvofallhorses
09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I can bake but not cook. :o

Cookiebaker
09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
i love to bake and cook!!!!!!!!!! :D Nothing too "gourmet", but i love new recipes!!

mina'smomma
09-20-2006, 12:02 PM
I can bake, but I can't cook. Figure that one.

mina'smomma
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Not impaired here.

I love to cook and I am good at cooking. However, I am a messy cook! That's why my dogs love me.

The only way I'll cook is if someone promises to clean dishes afterwards. ;)

I have the same baking arrangements with hubby

Randi
09-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I can cook most any ordinary meal, and I'm especially good at making sauce. ;) I got a compliment from a famous rock star once - he said my sauce was the best he'd ever had, and he had been eating in the best restaurants around the word, so that made me quite proud. :D

When it comes to baking a bread, it's a total different story. :o The taste is OK, but I could use it to defend myself, if neccesary, in case I couldn't find a baseball bat.

CathyBogart
09-20-2006, 12:32 PM
I can cook pretty well....except breakfast food! I have no idea why...Swiss steak? No problem! Pancakes.....Not happening!

Baking though....I'm almost always pretty good at that. I make a sour cream coffee cake...yummmm!!!!

davidpizzica
09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Strange that for a bachelor I'm cookng/baking challenged! I am pretty good at popping a frozen pizza in the oven (when I remember to take it off the cardboard!) I can microwave and use my George Forman grille!

jazzcat
09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm a really good baker but only a fair cook. Give me a cake to tackle, easy, but have me fix a full dinner and I struggle.

popcornbird
09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I've been baking since I was 10 or 11 years old. I've always loved sweets, so making cookies and cakes was something I HAD TO learn early from my mom. :p I wasn't too keen on cooking, but my mom made sure I knew at least the basics. I used to cook sometimes when my mom wasn't at home, but it wasn't that often. Now that I'm with my husband, I cook almost everyday. If I'm stuck on something, I just give my mom a call and ask her what I'm supposed to do. :D I'm starting to master cooking now, and love the compliments I get from my husband everyday, and from my family when I cook for them. Cooking is fun, but making desserts is my passion. I love it! I *have to* *have to* *have to* keep the kitchen clean while I work though. Washing the dishes, wiping the counters, making sure the counters are clear is a must for me when I'm cooking. Dirty counters are a turn off for me, and if the counters are dirty, I just won't cook. :o:o

cyber-sibes
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah, it's in my genes. my mom baked for everybody. My brother made her some business cards, she got so many requests!
Some of my fondest memories of childhood are of my Mom & Dad both cooking in the kitchen. When Mom passed away, I got her recipe box, lucky me! :D Even though they're all grease-spotted & tattered, I love using her hand-written recipe cards, I feel like I'm still baking "with" my mom!

*edit* Thanks for posting this poll, after I replied, I got all teary-eyed thinking about my parents (both deceased). What lovely memories!

pitc9
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I am good at both... but I am better at baking.
Pumpkin Cheesecake, Cream cheese pound cake, Carmel Pecan pie... ohhh!

Felicia's Mom
09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
I have always loved to bake and cook. Everyone says I am very good too. I have not cooked lately though. Where I now live, I don't have my own kitchen. Everyone living here eats in a common dining room.

Cookiebaker
09-20-2006, 02:59 PM
I *have to* *have to* *have to* keep the kitchen clean while I work though. Washing the dishes, wiping the counters, making sure the counters are clear is a must for me when I'm cooking. Dirty counters are a turn off for me, and if the counters are dirty, I just won't cook. :o:o

Ohhh I am so with you on this one, Poppy!!! :D If we get lazy and don't do the previous night's dishes, I hate trying to prepare the next meal without doing the dishes first. I am really looking forward to being at home (Thursday is my last day of work) and I am really looking forward to doing a lot more in my brandy new kitchen!!! :)

Also, for those who enjoy cooking -- is there a season that you like cooking in more than others?? For me, I love fall -- all the harvest vegetables to make soups, stews, and pies, etc.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I can bake and I can also cook as long as it doesn't involve the barbeque.

Glacier
09-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I do all the cooking in our house. Stuart cooks only if it involves fire and he's rarely home to do even that. I bought a new bbq this year that is easy to light so I don't have to wait for him. Our old one was an explosion waiting to happen. I refused to touch it!

I love to bake. I make the best banana-chip muffins ever! I really enjoy making bread when I have time.

I love making big holiday meals and feeding friends!

I am a slob in the kitchen. I'm messy in general. The kitchen is no different! We have plans to renovate our kitchen in a couple years. I am knocking out a wall and adding way more cupboard space--so I can spread the mess out more!

Uabassoon
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, I lived alone for 3 years and managed to keep myself alive! So I guess I can kind of cook. However if it wasn't for my george forman grill I think most of my meals would have come out of the freezer.

chocolatepuppy
09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm good at cooking and baking. I don't really enjoy cooking though unless I'm hungry for something. I make a pretty good apple pie and sugar cookies. ;)

Pam
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I like to cook but not in the summer. :) That is hubby's season to cook (if you can call lighting the grill and turning some meat over once in a while cooking :p ). By the time fall comes I am ready to begin cooking again. Now that we are due for some cooler weather I will bring the cookbook down off the shelf. :p

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Well, I lived alone for 3 years and managed to keep myself alive!
So I guess I can kind of cook.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
I've "stayed alive" (or almost so) for a few more than 3 years!
And I did it before the MicroWave was *invented* and frozen dinners ??
tasted mostly like warmed cardboard! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

However, if it wasn't for my George Forman grill,
I think most of my meals would have come out of the freezer.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif
What's George got to do with the freezer??

George cooks a LOT of my meals - and most of them originate from the Freezer!

Good thing Mickey doesn't sell *Frozen* Big Macs!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Dorothy39
09-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Oh GEEZ, Phred, I am laughing too darned hard to reply,

Gotta Pray for that "frozen Big Mac" huh!!!!!

Suki Wingy
09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
*Raises Hand*

Everyone in my family can cook - it is a matter of being able to follow instructions, and then knowing when one can disregard them!
THAT'S where I went wrong. I'm hopeless at written directions

Karen
09-20-2006, 10:07 PM
*Raises Hand*

THAT'S where I went wrong. I'm hopeless at written directions

Hmm, so next time, call one of us, and we can walk you through it! :) Get yourself a paperback Fanny Farmer Cookbook - they're great for explaining things, and then you can call me and say "On page 832 - how do I do that?" ;)

Uabassoon
09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Good thing Mickey doesn't sell *Frozen* Big Macs!!

Phred, you've been missing out. In the frozen food section they sell frozen angus beef burgers and they are quite yummy! I wish I could remember the brand but they are 100% better than the tiny little frozen whitecastle burgers. It might not be Mickey D's but it sure does make for a delicious dinner!

pnance
09-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Not even a little, unless you count lean cuisine and a microwave cooking... :p

Sevaede
09-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Heh, I am the baker while my husband is the chef. He can cook WONDERFUL meals so he is usually the one who cooks. I, if I do say so myself, am an excellent baker (cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. :p )! :D

davidpizzica
09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Not even a little, unless you count lean cuisine and a microwave cooking... :p
That's me! I can heat up a mean frozen pizza!

Cinder & Smoke
09-21-2006, 02:25 AM
In the frozen food section they sell frozen angus beef burgers and
they are quite yummy!

... they are 100% better than the tiny little frozen Whitecastle burgers.

Oh, I found the Frozen Angus Burger patties YEARS ago - before George!
Used to pan-burn em ... then George came along ...
YUMMIE with some Mrs. Dash on top and George doin all the work!

Tried those Whitecastle things once ... EEE-Yuck! Like a slab of rubber between
two pieces of soggy cardboard. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

George an Mrs. Dash do a mean job on Frozen, Neked, Chicken Boobs, too!
Toss a frozen tater cake down in the corner, then nuke a few green beans -
and it's almost a MEAL.

Too bad Bagged Salads are a Killer these days ... they were kinda handy! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

/s/ Phred

Crazy-Cat-Lover
09-21-2006, 02:56 AM
I can cook and bake and love trying out new recipes. I don't like cooking/baking the same thing over and over. If I am not in the cooking mood, I cook simple, quick meals. :D