PDA

View Full Version : Help with cats

FaNcYkItTy
09-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi! I've posted a few WANTED ads for an adult cat on some lists where you post about free stuff or stuff for sale and have not gotten any replies yet. I need some help with caring for a cat... well first of all I must tell you what happened. I was walking and saw this really skinny cat, and been trying to catch it. As some you know from a couple of my previous posts, I have been wanting to adopt a cat and saw this one. I fell in love with her at first sight, and have been trying to catch her. How do I catch her? And any solid tips on caring for a cat?? And just in case I do not end up catching her can someone help me find a website where cats are listed, please? Thanks! Oh, but wait

**WARNING**WARING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARN ING**

She is not tame. How do you catch a 0% tame cat and how do you tame it? Need urgent help ASAP.. thanks.

zoomer
09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, maybe the kitty (I'm just going to call it Harp in this thread so it's easier than saying "that cat" or "that kitty", OK?) would come to food if offered? Grab some treats or cat food and once you see the cat put the food down and walk away. Do this everyday and gradually gain trust with the cat. Soon the cat will come up and eat in front of you. Of course, that won't be for awhile but it'll work out. If you don't want to go the long way then I would suggest getting a net made off thick string, kind of like a fishing net. Make sure the cat is within throwing range. You must get it the first time or the cat may be so traumitized it'll never come back. I really do suggest the long way though. If the cat is more tame you could just feed it, pick it up, and bring it home. PM me for more info...

Karen
09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
It takes an experienced and very patient person to "tame" a feral. It takes a lot of time. I would NOT try to catch her with a net. I would ask at you Animal Control or vet's office if they have a Have-a-Heart trap you can borrow and bait with something good and smelly, like tuna fish. Then you'd have to have a vet visit and evaluation - ask your vet if they have dealt with a feral before, if she is indeed 0% tame.

Have you tried searching http://petfinder.org for an adult kitty? I have never heard of there not being an oversupply available!

zoomer
09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
The Have A Heart Trap idea is excellent, Karen! :D

catmandu
09-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Iwould get free sample packs from the Pet Food stores and leave the food on a paper plate where you have seen this poor stray.
That way he will get used to your scent, and know that you are willing to feed him.
I would get Kitten Food if this Cat is thin, he needs the extra nutrition.