PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Dog

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I know I may sound like I know nothing about animals, but I was wondering how I could introduce my cats with my dog. The cats don't like him and when they run away he chases them. Any suggestions?

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Is anyone going to help me? The cats are living in my basement right now {big base ment}. They're okay. They were in the basement most of the time anyway.

Chilli
09-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, of course, you won't get your dogs and cats to actually "love" eachother. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats, and they all coexist in the same part of the house just fine. Your cats are probably intimidated by your dog.
Since I've always had dogs and cats together, I'm unsure of how you could introduce them, but do make sure you do not let your dog chase your cats. This is whats making the cats not like your dogs. If you get the dogs to leave the cats alone, then everything should be fine.
Good luck. =)

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks but I feel bad for leaving them in the basement. Do you think they'll be okay for now? One of my cats grew up with dogs but she got bit by one. Do you think that is why she doesn't like them? The other one doesn't really seem to mind him but he somtimes runs when he sees him.

Chilli
09-16-2006, 07:49 PM
As long as they have all they need in the basement, and they're comfortable, then yes.
My cats sometimes run from some of my dogs. Mainly because they're afraid of being chased. If you make sure your dog doesn't even act like he wants to chase the cats, then your cats should start to feel more comfortable around the dog.

horse_lover
09-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Thank you so much! :D

Minpinmommy
10-05-2006, 12:49 PM
We have 2 dogs and 1 cat in the house. They aren't best friends but they do tolerate each other. The cat pretty much showed them who the boss is and they just stay out of his way now. But I do find them all cuddled up in the papa san chair from time to time.

Make sure your dogs aren't allowed to chase, paw, or bite the cats. They will need to be constantly supervised until you can tell how they will behave. Cats are also very resourceful at finding good hiding spots to get away from dogs. Don't let the dogs invade their little space. It might also help to have cat towers where the cats could easily get away from the dog and access the situation.

Best of luck to all of you.

Heather

Pawsitive Thinking
10-06-2006, 06:48 AM
I have the same problem with my 2 dogs and 1 pusscat - we solved it by letting the cat have her own room! It even has a sign on the door

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Denise40_0/Brodysroom.jpg