PDA

View Full Version : wood chewer

sammi
11-01-2000, 12:34 PM
Sorry to repost this again but I really need help and hope someone can give me some advice. Our 11mo. old labX has been chewing branches of the bushes off & on. He has started to chew off the lattice on the deck! Any ideas what to do to get him to stop? He has lots of toys he plays with and is not a chewer. A mellow dog & not left alone outside (chain link fence) for real long periods of time. I can't seem to catch him in the act. Its doing a lot of damage & I also worry that he may swollow some of the splinters. Thanks in advance.

carrie
11-01-2000, 02:10 PM
Hi,
As your dog is proving a little hard to catch in the act you could try going through all the usual actions before you go out. Put your shoes on, pick up the car keys etc. Give him ten minutes to get stuck in and sneak up on him.
I have to say that I think it is unlikely this will work, but it's worth a try.
My other suggestion is simple, Never, ever leave him in the yard on his own. Even if you can see him from a window, as soon as you move to a room or position where you can't see him call him in until you can watch the yard. This will eventually break the habit but you must be diligent and never lapse.
Sorry I can't be more helpful but unless there is a way to catch him at it I think this is the only safe option.

KYS
11-01-2000, 07:19 PM
Carrie is right. There is not much you can do if you do not catch them in the act.
But their is hope at the end of the tunnel.
He will grow out of it when he matures.
(as long as he isn't bored) http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

In the mean time try a product called
Bitter Apple. It comes in a spray and
you can purchase it usually at any pet shop.
I have used it plenty on my pots and wood fence. (you have to keep re-applying it)

I am going through the puppy destroying
stage at this moment, but he is finally growing out of it.
As for your bushes and trees, forget it.
You can always start landscaping again when
he matures. (clean up the twigs they can
get caught in the roof of the mouth).
Just make your yard as safe and puppy proof
as possible. (remove any poisenous plants
or anything else that your pup can get
into)
An another alternative is to build a dog
run, and put him in it when you are
not home. I rarely use mine,
but it does come in handy when I have
workers around.

Good luck : )

ktreva52
11-29-2000, 10:30 PM
Well, why chew up the things he loves when there's so much wood and bushes available? You could try bitter apple for plants, but it might be worth putting some chicken wire over the deck lattice and perhaps some repellant around the bushes. Have you tried obedience work? Labs are very intelligent and easily bored and that is most likely his problem. Also, since he is a retreiver, he's more "mouthy" than say a pekinese. Could he have a "woobie" to play with outside? You know, a piece of fleece or some such to toss around and chew on. It may also be a bit of separation anxiety and the obedience work might well help that. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

sammi
12-11-2000, 10:58 PM
Carrie,KYS& ktreva52 Thanks for helping with my problem of Buddy chewing the deck & bushes. I did put some bitter on the deck & seems to have helped - of course it is bitter cold here so he is not out much playing! The chicken wire may be a good idea after it warms up. Yes, he is bored and we have not been able to get him into obedience training yet. The instructer we have always had retired from that and since we are a rural area we will need to go 75 miles for classes. And that is not possible till after Feb. We have only had him for 4 months & he is about 13 months old now (we adopted him from a humane society & he had already been their 3 wks. so his days were getting numbered). But he is a great boy & we love him. Beleive that he is a "teenager" now & is getting somewhat of a attitude!