PDA

View Full Version : Love thy sweet animals!

pupper-lover
05-31-2002, 12:08 PM
I have request of everyone on the board. This week, please do something to help an umfortunate animal. I know we can't all go out and adopt every single homeless pet, but there's a lot we can do to make a sweet animal's life a little less painful. Here are a few easy ideas to help out your local animal shelter:

- When you're at the store, buy an extra bag of food or a toy and donate it to a shelter.

- Save up all your old newspapers. Shelter's need them to line cages.

- Donate all of your old worn-out leases, collars, dishes, etc.

- Take an hour and go walk the dogs and play with the kitties.

There are a ton of things you can do to help. I sure all you animal lovers already do your part. If we all do something this week, our animal friends will be forever greatful. Thanks.

Dixieland Dancer
05-31-2002, 12:10 PM
Wonderful suggestion and great idea! :D :cool: :D

Ann
05-31-2002, 01:33 PM
Very nice thought :)

Wish there were shelters around here though.

Kfamr
05-31-2002, 03:25 PM
I've done mine already, and I do it every week! Yesterday me and my father wen't to the humane society... we go everyweek, i go around talking to all of the dogs, and meowing to the kittens and cats!(hehe i actually meow too lol) Normally we go on fridays but i just couldn't wait to go!!

tatsxxx11
05-31-2002, 03:36 PM
What a loving thought and a great suggestion.:)

slleipnir
05-31-2002, 06:45 PM
good idea :] I haven't done anything big latly, but a few years ago, a friends aunt was going to leave their kitten at a race track where no one feeds them..I was really upset cause I thought the kitty would end up dying, so I took it around to ppls houses asking if they'd want to adopt a free kitty..I guess it could have been rude, but I found a nice older couple who took her! It was SO cute..It made me feel good too :D I'd do it again in a second if it ment saving an animals life.

sammi
05-31-2002, 07:40 PM
A great reminder for all of us.

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-31-2002, 07:43 PM
What a sweet idea/reminder and wonderful post!!!!

anna_66
05-31-2002, 10:18 PM
That's a wonderful idea! Do all the shelters allow people to walk the dogs and play with them? I really don't go because I'd want to take them all home, but with my niece coming, I think she'd like to do that with me.

pupper-lover
05-31-2002, 11:17 PM
"Do all the shelters allow people to walk the dogs and play with them?"

Our humane society welcomes anyone to walk the dogs. I haven't had the guts to do it yet, but I will soon. I want to take all the furries home, but my 2 bdrm apartment is packed with 150 lbs of retrievers. When I get a house and a yard, I want to be a foster mommy.:p

aly
06-01-2002, 12:21 AM
I would check with the shelter first. The humane society here where I work requires you go through and orientation and semi-extensive training. We have a wonderful volunteer program that uses consistent training. There is still a lot you can do though!

I was in tears at work today. It was the sweetest thing. A little boy collected donations from his friends for his 5th birthday party and he and his family brought them all up to the shelter today. He was CUTE! And it was the sweetest gesture. Also, his 9 year old sister gave us her allowance. I was crying for at least an hour after they left!!!

pupper-lover
06-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Today, I bought some doggie and kitty food and treats and brought them by the Humane Society. I got over my fear and walked two of the shelter's dogs. It was so sad. Almost every single one of the dogs started jumping, barking, crying, etc. when the leash was brought out. I wish I could have taken all of them out to a farm with a pond, so they could run and swim and be dogs until their little puppy hearts were content.

The first dog, I took out, was very hyper and skiddish at first, but quickly calmed down. The second pup was sort of confused, but obviously happy, that I was taking it outside and just followed my lead. Both dogs were so sweet and greatful of my taking the time to pet them and take them outside to sniff and pee. Their personalities changed dramatically in the 20 minutes or so, I had them. It is such a shame that these sweet creatures are pent up all day w/ the hope of finding someone to love and most of them are just put to sleep. I have no more room in my apartment for any more animals, but I will do what I can to give a homeless pupper a good day. The guy working at the shelter told me I had made those dogs' day. I just pray they both find homes before their time is up. Despite my own sadness at the situation, I plan to go back again soon and give some much needed love to a few more animals.

anna_66
06-01-2002, 09:47 PM
That was so GREAT of you to take time and do that for those lonely puppies! Soon, I will try and do the same thing!