PDA

View Full Version : Cats... My first one?

FaNcYkItTy
09-16-2006, 12:49 AM
I might be getting my first cat soon... but need some help. Do they meow a lot and are they easy to litter train? It will be living in my room with a litter box, scratching post, etc., is that okay? Or do they need to go outside and explore the house? Please give me some useful, solid, and good info on them! Thanks :D

jenluckenbach
09-16-2006, 05:43 AM
Do they meow a lot? Some do and some don't

and are they easy to litter train? most are litter box trained by the time they leave their mom.

It will be living in my room with a litter box, scratching post, etc., is that okay? That should be fine, but don't be surprised if the cat constantly tries to escape.

Or do they need to go outside and explore the house? They should stay inside the house. And even though they don't need to have run of the house, they might prefer that.

If you need to confine the cat to one room absolutely do NOT get a kitten! She would go stir crazy in a small space. Find an older, calm kitty who would enjoy simple things, like sleeping in a sunny spot, and a good petting session with "mom".

Freedom
09-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Keep the cat indoors.

You also need food and water dishes. Cats prefer not to eat near the "bathroom," so put those in a different part of the room from where you place the litter box. Feed 2 or 3 times per day (depends on cat's age), but always keep water available.

A catnip mouse toy would be appreciated. Cats tend to run around like crazy for a few minutes once or twice a day. Keeps their insides working properly. The mouse toy will encourage this play.

Miss Z
09-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Cats are what I often call 'complex' pets. You'll need to really read up on what type of breed you are after and cats in general, and if you are going for a kitten, make sure you buy from a responsible breeder who you can trust.

Also, remember cats have long life-spans. My recently departed Zsa-Zsa lived for 16 years, and many cats can live longer than that. It's a very big commitment so make sure that you're ready for it.

As for the great indoor/outdoor cat debate, really, that is up to you. Both my cats went outdoors and came to no harm, but if you live very close to a busy road or anything else that may be of concern then it may not be such a good idea. Teaching cats where home is in relation to the great outdoors is a long process and cannot be done overnight.

As I said before, research your breed, the temperaments of cats vary a lot from breed to breed. For example, persians and British shorthairs are generally very calm cats, whereas Abysinnians and siameses are much more active. You'll also need to research how much time you can dedicate to grooming etc.

Really, with cats, you learn extras as you go. Every cat has their own unique quirks and ways and you'll soon find out about other requirements. Good luck in finding your perfect cat. :)

momcat
09-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi and welcome to Pet Talk! When looking for your first kitty PLEASE consider going to a shelter and adopting that way. There are far too many homeless kitties, how great it would be to find your new companion at your local shelter! At a shelter you'll find kitties of all ages and breeds. Groucho is and always has been an indoor kitty and there have been no negative effects. A good vet is a must, it might be a good idea to start looking for a vet before your new companion moves in. That's because one of the first things you'll need to do is get kitty a good check up. Talk to the vet about shots, proper feeding and nutritional needs, and most important - spay/neuter. Declawing is definitely out!!! Like people, cats have their own unique personalities, likes, and dislikes. Some love to be held and snuggled while others only want to on their terms. You'll know when you find the right kitty for you.

Again, please start looking for your feline companion at your local shelter!!! Should you have ANY questions at all, ask here. There are several folks on PT that really know a lot about cats and they're always happy to help. Cats are wonderful pets, the love and companionship they give is priceless!!!

Let us know how things work out?

catmandu
09-16-2006, 03:34 PM
And there are so many mature Cats about two or three who would love a Furr Ever Home.
And these Cats are a lot quiteter than a Kitten, and still have a lot of life to them.
We pray that you are at a shelter and a Great Cat picks you out.
Hey Meowmie, its me!

CultureJunky
09-17-2006, 04:49 AM
Hello, and welcome to Pet Talk first and foremost.

A few things I would mention to a new cat owner and somebody who hasn't had one before.

1: Firstly before getting a kitten, you could definately think about adopting an adult cat from a rescue group or shelter. Adults are litter trained, have a developed personality (which is fun finding out what they're like) and are not likely to cause stresses for you such as a kitten may with litter training, illnesses etc. Not that Kittens are not worth adopting of course because they are, they're always worth it, but adult cats are often over looked, if not all the time, so giving a home to an adult cat is a wonderful gesture.
They have as much love to give, and are just as lovely. I adopted two 9 year old cats, over the age of 7 is considered a senior cat, and I am besotted with my two, and love them more than I can ever say.

2: If you adopt an adult, they will already be neautered, and have had their shots and possibly me microchipped, which in the long run would save you money.

3: If adopting a little kitten, most important thing is when they are old enough to get them neutered, as there are two many unwanted babies in shelters that are more often than not put to sleep. It's a common myth in letting a cat have one litter before spaying, this is not true, it won't harm the cat and it increases their life and health by being neutered.
if you have a boy, he must also be neutered, this will stop him wandering so far, and being a naughty boy and spending too many amourous hours with females getting the pregnant!

4: Microchipping is also important, this is a small chip that is under their skin and can be scanned should they get lost, it will have their number and home detail of who they belong to, so this is a must. Also a good idea for a small identity disc on thier collar with name, and telephone number.

5: You can let your cat be an indoor or outdoor cat. if you adopt from a shelter, you can probably find out if the cat is an indoor or outdoor.
If you live in a busy place, with lots of traffic, I'd suggest keeping it in.
So they have space and fresh air, it's quite easy to build a little cat run to put them in, this can be a small size, made out of wood and chicken wire, so they can go outside but are safe, and can roam and have a sense of freedom.
This shouldn't cost very much for a bit of wood and chicken wire, if you're not a carpenter, then get somebody to build you a little run :)
There are lots of cats on Pet Talk thave have runs to enjoy. It can either be connected to where you live via a cat flap or seperate and you can just take them out for them to go in.

6: They will need to have toys and things to keep them entertained in the daytime, string toys, interactive toys etc so they won't get bored. That's why a lot of people have two, so they keep eachother company in the daytime if they are on their own. A bored animal is a stressed animal, so letting them have toys is a must, should they choose to want to play.

Lastly, some people are put off by cats and think that they're independant and selfish, while this is partly true!!! Lol, they are the most amazing animals and the companionship and love they give will enrich your life for the better.
Cats are indeed independant, very clean animals, but if you find the right one, you will see that they will be such a joy, you'll probably want another one. I could not live without Jack or Sunny sitting next to me on the computer, purring doing happy feet on my lap and cuddling with me watching TV, or sitting next to me whatever I'm doing. Cat's sleep a lot of their time, but even having them close by is calming. Cat's have been proven to be good for people with stress and smoothing a cat slows down the heart rate, they can give love and comfort that is ten fold.
As you can tell I am cat mad, an insane cat lover, I love everything about them and worship both my cats to bits!
Having a cat in your life can be a wonderful experience, and I really hope you have this when you find the right one for you.
Remember it may take a bit of time for you to find the right one for you, so don't be hasty. You'll know when you've found the cat for you.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment, but I hope what I've said makes sense.

Good luck in being a new cat owner! or rather lettting yourself become owned by a cat :)

Kathrine