PDA

View Full Version : Sores?

BC_MoM
09-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I was grooming Mickey tonight and noticed this on the outside of his leg.. anyone have any idea what it's from? It's really raw.. I haven't seen him going after it like it's irritating it, but it must be hurting a bit somehow.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/Aquarius89/Sores003.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/Aquarius89/Sores002.jpg

cali
09-15-2006, 09:58 PM
there calluses, many dogs get them from laying on hard surfaces, Happy and Misty have em too :p Electras elboys are well furred and un callused and hopefully I can keep them that way lol

caseysmom
09-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Could it be fleas and an allergic scratching. Bubba never had any problem with that until I took in my brothers cat when he died, the cat had fleas and bubba got a bunch of sores from scratching at them.

BC_MoM
09-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Ahh, a calluse. Poor Mickey! Maybe I'll go out and buy a couple cheap beds for him to lay on for different rooms.

Mickey's elbows are furry too.. except this one all of a sudden. O_o

I don't think it's fleas, Mickey is a scratchy dog, but very flealess! lol

Jessika
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Yup Charlie has them too on his elbow. I dont know how though since he has accustomed himself to laying on pillows all day..... LOL

wolfsoul
09-15-2006, 10:14 PM
For some reason dogs that spend alot of time indoors get them. I never understood why.

caseysmom
09-15-2006, 10:16 PM
hmm I have never had a dog get those. That doesn't seem like a spot to get a callous for some reason.

cali
09-15-2006, 10:20 PM
here is a best pic I have of Mistys:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/Dakota_puppy/fb713e30.jpg

the pic is kinda far but up close its identical to Mickeys

Jessika
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
For some reason dogs that spend alot of time indoors get them. I never understood why.
You'd think it would be the opposite, like a dog living outdoors in a cement kennel or on a back porch or something, lol

Apparently my pups have it "so rough" living indoors... I mean... I give them pillows to lay on and they still get callouses for petes sake lol

kimlovescats
09-15-2006, 10:43 PM
You'd think it would be the opposite, like a dog living outdoors in a cement kennel or on a back porch or something, lol

My new adopted boy, Kenny, fits that theory! ;) He's 8 years old and was an outside dog all of his life. That was the first thing I noticed when I went to pick him up .... poor baby! I attached a pic ... photobucket was sllllllllooooooow tonight! ;)

BC_MoM
09-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Aww, poor Misty and Kenny!

Is there anything I can apply to it to help it heal at all?

kimlovescats
09-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Aww, poor Misty and Kenny!

Is there anything I can apply to it to help it heal at all?

If they are just starting to form, you might try some Neosporin or any generic triple antibiotic ointment. Then maybe just keep the areas lubricated / softened with vaseline every now and then or something. When they get as bad as Kenny's, I doubt there is any "healing" them to be done.

coco-bean
09-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Coco gets them too, they always stay pretty small and on weird places on her lower part of her legs but nothing huge and i havent worried to much about them! Unless they start bleeding or become much larger...will i look into it further! :)

dogzr#1
09-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Molly has some on her elbows too. She spends all the time laying on the floor where there are like 3 couches and 4 beds to lay on. I guess she just likes the cool floor better. They don't seem to bother her at all. My brothers and I have named them her elephant skin :p

Astra and Prince don't have any though. They are too 'good' to sleep on the floor. Astra always sleeps on 'her' couch and Prince sleeps on his little corner of the room. It has like 2 big blankets, a pillow, and his regular cat bed.