PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Spree Shocks Montreal

BC_MoM
09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Shooting Spree Shocks Montreal
Gunman At Dawson College Kills 1, Wounds 19, And Is Then Shot Dead
MONTREAL, Sept. 13, 2006

The webpage has it wrong, so I'll correct their information.

- 20 people injured, 8 of which are in critical condition
- 18 year old girl killed
- gunmen shot down and killed by police when he refused to back down

Full story here (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/13/world/main2005603.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2005603)..

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/09/13/image2006766g.jpg
Evacuated students comfort each other during a shooting incident at Dawson College in Montreal, Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2006.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/09/13/image2006503g.jpg
Students evacuate the school as police help during a shooting incident at Dawson College in Montreal, Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2006.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/09/13/image2005611g.jpg
Dozens of students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out in the school of about 3,000.

mruffruff
09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
They are now saying the gunman shot himself.

BC_MoM
09-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I read that this morning.

Police shot him the arm, and then he shot himself in the head, apparently.

elizabethann
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I read somewhere that the killer was into a Columbine game? Is there really such a thing? Is it a computer game or something? I just can't imagine.

BC_MoM
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Game blameless: creator
Was college killer's favourite

The creator of a controversial video game based on the 1999 Columbine massacre -- a game Dawson College shooter Kimveer Gill claimed was one of his favourites -- expressed his condolences to the victims yesterday.

But Danny Ledonne, 24, of Alamosa, Colo., said his free role-playing game "Super Columbine Massacre RPG" is a piece of art and social commentary and can't be blamed for the actions of a person who has lost touch with reality.

"I regret people who misconstrue my message or people who use this video game as a means to justify their own immoral behaviour," said Ledonne, an independent film producer.

Crudely rendered, cartoonish and mildly violent, the game allows players to role play as killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold and follow in their footsteps of April 20, 1999 in Littleton, Colo.

LOSE HUMANITY

"Whether (Gill) picked up my video game or Oliver Stone's (film) Natural Born Killers, when you get to the point in your life and you lose touch with reality, you lose your humanity," Ledonne said.

Some say society must consider banning violent video games and movies to combat violence.

Nancy Kendle, a Winnipegger enrolled at Dawson College, said listening to the screams of others running from Gill as she hid in a locked room altered her beliefs.

"It makes me angry. A girl died. An 18-year-old girl just really starting to get into her adult life. And she's dead, and 19 other people are injured, and six are clinging to life," said Kendle yesterday. "How long is it going to take before other people start realizing that this is a problem. That is a serious issue. What's more important? The issue of prohibition or keeping people safe?"

cyber-sibes
09-15-2006, 12:56 PM
sincere condolences to all the families of these kids, including the family of the killer. How sad to see your child go so far off the beam and commit such atrocities. I will be praying that everyone injured will have a speedy recovery. RIP, sweet girl.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-15-2006, 01:37 PM
That's so sad. :(

Anita Cholaine
09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
This is so sad :( What a terrible tragedy.

buttercup132
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I already posted about this in the dog house..

Cataholic
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Game blameless: creator
Was college killer's favourite

The creator of a controversial video game based on the 1999 Columbine massacre -- a game Dawson College shooter Kimveer Gill claimed was one of his favourites -- expressed his condolences to the victims yesterday.

But Danny Ledonne, 24, of Alamosa, Colo., said his free role-playing game "Super Columbine Massacre RPG" is a piece of art and social commentary and can't be blamed for the actions of a person who has lost touch with reality.

"I regret people who misconstrue my message or people who use this video game as a means to justify their own immoral behaviour," said Ledonne, an independent film producer.

Crudely rendered, cartoonish and mildly violent, the game allows players to role play as killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold and follow in their footsteps of April 20, 1999 in Littleton, Colo.

LOSE HUMANITY

"Whether (Gill) picked up my video game or Oliver Stone's (film) Natural Born Killers, when you get to the point in your life and you lose touch with reality, you lose your humanity," Ledonne said.

I cannot believe there is such a video out there, and that this guy somehow defends it. How bizarre. WhatEVER would make someone think it is appropriate to fashion a 'game' out of such a tragedy? Maybe if THIS guy's loved ones were gunned down he might have a tad bit more sensitivity.

Catty1
09-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, I was going to post this in the other thread, but what the heck.

I don't think these games or blogs are going to turn a healthy person into a killer.

Someone who was the only Asian kid in his school...who classmates from ALL grades said was serious and kept to himself...and who got picked on. Very straightlaced and very serious as a teenager...

Someone with THAT history on the blogs and games...that's who one would want to watch for. Especially if he spent a LOT of time on his computer.

Early autopsy results - Kimveer was hit once in the arm by a police officer, then killed himself with a single shot to the head.