PDA

View Full Version : Last Pictures Before Ear Cropping

timlewis
09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Well Im Taking Daisy Monday For Her Ear Cropping, It Was Gong To Be Friday But The Vet Cant Do It Then So I Had I To Move It Up.i Got These Pictures Today Will Be The Last Ones Of Her With Her Big Ears.

wolf_Q
09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
She's such a cute dog, I don't understand why you would choose to cut her ears like that. There's no medical purpose to it, it's done simply for cosmetic reasons. :( Why can't she keep the ears she was born with?

Vela
09-14-2006, 07:17 PM
=*( I sooo love the floppy ears. I didn't do Crackers, and Ginger's were done before I got her. I hope she comes through okay, have you told your vet not to let them use acepromazine on her? Boxers are prone to their hearts stopping with the use of acepromazine, and they have other preanesthetics they can use, so I would not back down. I know someone whose puppy died from that in surgery for an ear crop. Not trying to scare you, but it is important. Boxers are more prone to it than other breeds. I'm afraid I just can't cut off their ears, for me I just don't see a need to cause needless pain that doesn't help her health at all. I love the floppy look.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dogace.html

http://www.boxerbuddies.org/Boxer%20Health/acepromazine.htm

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/boxer/boxerhealth.htm

timlewis
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
TO B HONEST ONE OF THE REASONS I BOUGHT HER IS BECAUSE I WORK 3rd SHIFT IN THE COAL MINES, AND FOR SOME REASON PEOPLE R SCARED TO DEATH OF BOXERS AROUND HERE ANYWAY. AND I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THEIR EARS CROPPED MAKE THEM LOOK MEANER AND THAT IS ONE REASON. PERSONALLY I JUST LIKE THE LOOK AND THINK THAT A BOXER DOESNT LOOK LIKE A BOXER WITHOUT IT, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER SEEN A WHITE BOXER WITH THEIR EARS CUT. I DONT KNOW WHY, A GUY THAT LIVES DOWN THE ROAD HAS A WHITE ONE AND DIDNT GET THEM CUT IS THERE ANY CERTAIN REASON FOR THIS OR IS IT THAT I HAVE JUST NOT SEEN ONE. I WILL POST SOME PICTURES WHEN SHE GETS THEM DONE.

wolf_Q
09-14-2006, 07:52 PM
I find it really sad that people think they have to chop their dogs ears off to look like the breed were born as. There are plenty of boxers without cropped ears, of every color.

Would you let somebody cut off your ears because they thought it looked better? :(

I'm sorry, but I will never understand why people choose to do that to their dogs. No reason is a valid one in my opinion.

critter crazy
09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Well all i have to say is that it is her choice! If that is what she wants then so be it! why give her a hard time, its not your dog. I dont understand why it has to be a huge issue! To each their own!

wolf_Q
09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes it is timlewis's choice. It's just too bad the dog doesn't get a choice.

I won't post any more in this thread, I know cropping is a debated topic on PT, it just makes me sad that it is still an accepted practice here.

zippy-kat
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
...I HAVE NEVER SEEN A WHITE BOXER WITH THEIR EARS CUT. I DONT KNOW WHY, A GUY THAT LIVES DOWN THE ROAD HAS A WHITE ONE AND DIDNT GET THEM CUT IS THERE ANY CERTAIN REASON FOR THIS OR IS IT THAT I HAVE JUST NOT SEEN ONE.

In boxers, all-white is a discouraged color. I would assume that people in the show world wouldn't want to spend the money it costs to crop on pet-quality dogs.

I have 2 boxers; both have natural ears.

In making your decision, please keep in mind that cropping doesn't necessarily mean that the ear will stand. You might end up with a cropped but floppy-eared pup.

luvofallhorses
09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
She's such a cute dog, I don't understand why you would choose to cut her ears like that. There's no medical purpose to it, it's done simply for cosmetic reasons. :( Why can't she keep the ears she was born with?

I couldn't agree more.

animal_rescue
09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Awww, she's such a cute puppy! :)

wolfsoul
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
A GUY THAT LIVES DOWN THE ROAD HAS A WHITE ONE AND DIDNT GET THEM CUT IS THERE ANY CERTAIN REASON FOR THIS OR IS IT THAT I HAVE JUST NOT SEEN ONE.
These days, cropping is something most often done on show puppies. White boxers can not be shown, so there is no point getting them done.

In all honesty, I'm worried for your puppy. While it is your choice to crop, your puppy is underweight -- an underweight dog going under anasthetic is very dangerous. I don't know how old she is, but a boxer puppy should not be cropped after 9 weeks of age.

Remember that cropping a puppy's ears has alot of downsides --- there will be several weeks of constant upkeep. I recommend you do alot of research on different taping techniques. There are so many different ways to do it and it takes only one small mistake to make the ears flop over. You will need to cone the puppy because he may try to itch his ears. There are things that can go wrong during the surgery so get a vet that is very experienced with cropping ears. Occasionally the ears don't match or they are cut too short. Remember that is is very very painful, and the pain will last for a long time so you need to constantly keep drugging him. He may be very touchy about his ears and continue this behaviour into adulthood, so you have to watch him carefully around children as he may be prone to bite them if they come in contact with his ears.

If someone wants a dog with upright ears because it makes them look mean, why didn't they just buy a dog with upright ears? :confused:

Husky15
09-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Daisy is a very cute dog and it's entirely up to you whether or not you get your Boxer's ears cropped. Personally, I think puppy and adult Boxers look cuter with their floppy ears. And I agree with you, cropped ears do look meaner.

But I wish you and Daisy the best and I hope everything works out right for you and that there are no problems.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Wow.... it does not at all make a Boxer look mean... they aren't mean in the first place, eathier. I can't believe you would do such a thing... :( :(
SHE IS GORGEOUS JUST THE WAY SHE IS.

Daisy and Delilah
09-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Please don't crop her ears!! She's adorable just the way she is. It will really serve no purpose. :(

finn's mom
09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
She's a beautiful dog. Good luck with the ear cropping. It won't make her look mean, but, if you want to crop her ears, just be sure to take good care of them, it's a lot of work! People botch up those cropping jobs all the time, and, it really messes up the dog's appearance. There's absolutely nothing uglier than a dog with a jacked up ear cropping job. I'm personally against it, anyway, as I think it's an outdated practice, but, again, if you're going to do it, just make sure it's done correctly and that you put the time and effort into the maintenance. Good luck.

coco-bean
09-14-2006, 09:00 PM
NOOO dont crop the ears! they are so cute! I honestly think this puppy would be much more beautiful without the cropping! She doesnt need to be mean! she's gorgeous! the reason for cropping i think it's not the best in the world, i mean for that purpose of her looking meaner, could possibly lead to acting meaner(if you choose to train her that way) then she'll just be added to the bad name they have already! i honestly hope you choose not to do it! best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do! and if you do choose to, i hope her healing goes quick and painless for her!

k9krazee
09-14-2006, 09:09 PM
If you must have it done, do your research now and find a vet that has experience and you completely trust. Weigh the pros and cons of pysically mutilating your defensless puppy. Once you get it done there's no going back. You are going to put your puppy through a POINTLESS surgery, surgery that won't benefit the pup in ANY way. A surgery that will lead to a painful recovery, who would EVER want to put their pup through it if they don't have to?? It boggles my mind. The surgery is costly, is it not? I've read that it's usually $80-$200, this could EASILY be spent in ways that BENEFIT your puppy! I understand that cropping her ears is totally your choice, and I respect that. I honestly don't think it'll make her look mean at all, and I really like the way she looks now.

And just like wolfsoul said...If you wanted a dog with pointy ears...you should've bought a dog with pointy ears in the first place :(

Pam
09-14-2006, 09:11 PM
I think her ears look adorable floppy. Of course you are her human and you have the freedom to do whatever you want. :) I would be a hippocrit if I said that all dogs should remain untouched as I do not like natural long tails on poodles. To each his own. What is most important to me with any dog is that they are loved and well cared for. :)

new mom to a veiled
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I just wanted to say, Daisy looks better than in the last pic's I saw of her. She looks like she may have gained a pound or 2......As for the ear thing that is your choice......However there have been some good points raised. Please take Vella's advise in regards to anasthetic (sp?) and if you haven't done so already please (as Wolfsoul said) do some research on the subject. We had Dobermans' when I was a kid and I can remember all the work my parents put into them for a long while after the cropping........Best of luck for Daisy on whatever decision you make :)

kimlovescats
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I personally like floppy ears better! She is adorable just like she is. I pray that if she does have the surgery, that she makes it through it with no complications!

Danegirl2208
09-14-2006, 09:41 PM
i dont think he needs to be judged, its his own personal decisan. I think she will be beautiful either way..good luck :)

Karen
09-14-2006, 09:55 PM
She is a beautiful pup, and we hope if you have your mind made up, she is a good girl, and the vet does the job carefully and well. Wouldn't want that sweetie to be in an unnecessary pain.

I'd say it's too bad people in your area think Boxers are mean, but as you have her to be your alarm system days when you are sleeping off your shift, perhaps it is just as well that your neighbors are "deluded" in that case. The boxers I have been know were dangerously enthusiastic at times, but that's about it!

Thanks everyone, for stating opinions but keeping things civil.

Giselle
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, I think cropped ears are beautiful on appropriate breeds like Boxers, Danes, and especially Dobermans. I think it gives Dobermans an exceptionally regal and streamlined look. Cropping was not a pointless "cosmetic surgery" years ago, although the need for shortly cropped ears is definitely no longer an issue since today's dogs are not used for vicious sports (usually).

To each his own. Good luck with the surgery and be diligant about taping!!

wolfsoul
09-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I think cropped ears are beautiful on appropriate breeds like Boxers, Danes, and especially Dobermans. I think it gives Dobermans an exceptionally regal and streamlined look. Cropping was not a pointless "cosmetic surgery" years ago, although the need for shortly cropped ears is definitely no longer an issue since today's dogs are not used for vicious sports (usually).

I agree --- I think that cropped ears make the dog appear much sharper and smarter. I don't agree with cropping, but I do think cropped ears look better.

I can see why the majority of show people crop ears --- because the ones with uncropped ears just don't win. You'll never see a North American Best in Show boxer with uncropped ears. It just wouldn't happen. So I understand the breeder's point of view, who want their dogs to do alot of winning. If I were in the situation of being a show breeder of a cropped breed, I think I'd like to have some cropped and some uncropped dogs -- it's alot more fun trying to be the owner of the very first best in show uncropped dog than it is to automatically win with a nice looking cropped dog. So I do have mixed feelings. In all honesty I wish that all of the registries would ban cropping altogether. It's original puprose was for the working dog -- but then we get situations like these, where it's only used to make the dog look mean. So why bother anymore? If the registries did ban it, it would certainly prove which dogs come from irresponsible breeders and which dogs are being used for fighting. Of course their are the legitimate working dogs, but those are so far and few apart I can't imagine it effecting a huge portion of the canine population.

Just some of my thoughts. I don't think that trying to make a dog look mean is a very legitimate reason to crop it's ears. I understand that was why Louis Dobermann started cropping his dogs ears, but this was a different day and age, and mutilation was thought of much differently then. These days there are so many different breeds to choose from -- alot of them already have upright ears. I understand that they might not all have the "sharp" look of a cropped ear...But if it's a pet puppy, not a show or working puppy, looks shouldn't be that important, should they?

Corinna
09-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I debated a lot about having Tysons ears done or not. I finally decided not to becouse of the way he plays with the other dogs , very energetic and some times a little rough. He also looks so silly with his ears a floppy . I just love my boxer clown!! Around here we have way to many Pit bulls that they cut the ears to try to hide the fact they are pitties (shameful) . Plus i wasn't going to show him except in obediance so I left them. I since then have discovered i like the uncropped ears. She is still very young do take time and think about it. I also echo find a vet who has done lots of them, ask to see others hes done. I have seen several really butchered jobs.

lute
09-14-2006, 11:43 PM
i agree with a lot of what Jordan is saying. when i got my great dane's ears cropped i was really glad i did my research on how to do the after care. (i'm not for or against your choice to crop your dogs ears. i would definatly get more weight on her before she goes to surgery) after care has a great deal with hiw the ears turn out. there will be many days of smelly sticky taped ears. it's tough to hold down your pup while pulling the tape off and putting it back on. if the tape is on too tight it could cut off the circulation and the ear can rot and fall off. that is extreamly painful for the puppy.

Good Luck and let us know how it all goes. if you need any help on how to do after care or anything else just ask. :)

Vela
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Well it's not true that a Boxer pup can't be cropped after 9 weeks of age; however, it it advisable not to do it after 12 weeks because the ear cartilage starts to change. If it's not done before 12 weeks then you stand a good chance of the ears not standing. As they teethe and then grow adult teeth the cartilage changes. The aftercare is the hard part, and it honestly can take up to a year to get them to stand properly. I do not choose to do it, and I prefer the floppy look, but to each their own. She has gained weight and looks appropriate for a boxer puppy of her age. I just hope everything goes okay but DO the reasearch on the ACE, it could be harmful to her. I hope the vet does a good job, I have seen some really bad ones. Boxer's certainly aren't mean, they are wonderful. Good luck with that.

pitc9
09-15-2006, 09:22 AM
why give her a hard time, its not your dog. I dont understand why it has to be a huge issue! To each their own!

Exactly... to each their own, we all have our own opinions.
If we don't understand why people would chop their dogs ears off we feel the need to ask why.
In my own opinion I think it's sad, I could never chop a part of my dogs body off.

critter crazy
09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
I do not agree with ear cropping or tail docking, but I am not going to force someone to agree with me! If this is what the owner wants, then so Be it! What can you do?

timlewis
09-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Thank You For All Your Opinions, First Of All Some Call Me A Her Im A Guy Lol. The Reason For Me Getting Them Cropped Is Not Because I Want Her To Be Mean, She Is A Family Pet And Will Be A Very Very Tame Sweet Girl As She Already Is.but As I Said I Work 3rd Shift In The Coal Mines, The Reason For Making Her Look Meaner Is Not To Fight Her Or To Train Her Mean But Simply To Look Mean. Although They Are Not Mean Dogs People Look At Them As Just That And Im Glad Because I Have A 2 Year Old And A 5 Year Old And I Want Her To Look Mean While Im At Work Keep People Away From My House Wife And Kids. And She Is Not At All Under Weight A Boxer Is A Thin Framed Dog, I Have Took A Lot Of Your Advice And Upped Her Food, She Has Gained 6 Pound In 3 Weeks And Looks Exactly Like She Should. 9 Weeks Old Is Not The Right Age To Crop Ears And Not Before, It Should Be Done Between 11 And 13 Weeks Of Age. Daisy Will Be 11 Weeks 1 Day Before It Will Be Done, And I Do Love My Puppy But Unlike Some People I Do Not Look At A Dog Or Any Animal As A Human. They Do Have Feelings And They Do Have Pain And I Will Take As Good Of Care As I Possibly Can, But To Compare Her To A Human Is Not Sensible. Anyway I Will Do My Research And Daisy Will Be Given The Best Care Possible Before During And After. And This Is My Opion Of It, And I Do Respect All Of Yours And I Think You For Posting Them. I Will Post Some Pics Of Her After It Is Done.

Vela
09-15-2006, 10:17 AM
I also agree that she does not look underweight for a Boxer puppy. Eleven weeks is a good time frame to do it in. That should be a good time frame, before the cartilage changes for good. The latest I have heard of a puppy having a successful ear crop was 16 weeks, but like ou said it's best to do it before that, and 11-12 weeks is about right. Hope everything goes okay.

elizabethann
09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
But Unlike Some People I Do Not Look At A Dog Or Any Animal As A Human. They Do Have Feelings And They Do Have Pain And I Will Take As Good Of Care As I Possibly Can, But To Compare Her To A Human Is Not Sensible.

Dogs are not little people in fur coats? ;) :D

cyber-sibes
09-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Good luck, sweet girl! And to you too, sir, with her aftercare. I understand why you want a dog that looks a little intimidating, but that you are not trying to make her mean. She will hopefully feel very protective of your children.

When we lived in the city, the neighbor kids were always in our yard retrieving their baseballs, I worried they would leave the gate open & our husky would run off, or that someone would take her on purpose. We got a companion pup for her who was part rottie. She grew up to be the sweetest funniest dog I've ever seen, but she had a bark & growl that would send people running! Plus she looked very rottie, and was black, which seems to scare people too. If you approached the gate at night, you wouldn't see her standing right there, but man did she sound scarey. I never saw the neighbor kids anywhere near the fence or in our yard again.

new mom to a veiled
09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Best of luck little Daisy......She is a little sweetie.....Good for you Timlewis for doing the proper reseach to keep her healthy and happy......I hope all goes well for both of you!!!!

Husky15
09-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Thank You For All Your Opinions, First Of All Some Call Me A Her Im A Guy Lol. The Reason For Me Getting Them Cropped Is Not Because I Want Her To Be Mean, She Is A Family Pet And Will Be A Very Very Tame Sweet Girl As She Already Is.but As I Said I Work 3rd Shift In The Coal Mines, The Reason For Making Her Look Meaner Is Not To Fight Her Or To Train Her Mean But Simply To Look Mean. Although They Are Not Mean Dogs People Look At Them As Just That And Im Glad Because I Have A 2 Year Old And A 5 Year Old And I Want Her To Look Mean While Im At Work Keep People Away From My House Wife And Kids. And She Is Not At All Under Weight A Boxer Is A Thin Framed Dog, I Have Took A Lot Of Your Advice And Upped Her Food, She Has Gained 6 Pound In 3 Weeks And Looks Exactly Like She Should. 9 Weeks Old Is Not The Right Age To Crop Ears And Not Before, It Should Be Done Between 11 And 13 Weeks Of Age. Daisy Will Be 11 Weeks 1 Day Before It Will Be Done, And I Do Love My Puppy But Unlike Some People I Do Not Look At A Dog Or Any Animal As A Human. They Do Have Feelings And They Do Have Pain And I Will Take As Good Of Care As I Possibly Can, But To Compare Her To A Human Is Not Sensible. Anyway I Will Do My Research And Daisy Will Be Given The Best Care Possible Before During And After. And This Is My Opion Of It, And I Do Respect All Of Yours And I Think You For Posting Them. I Will Post Some Pics Of Her After It Is Done.

I understand why you would like your dog to look more intimidating, you love your children and wife very much and I respect that. Lots of people would still find a Boxer a little frightening with their ears down because they're still a Boxer nonetheless. But good luck and I hope everything works out great for you.

Corinna
09-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear the weight gain , I have a hard time keeping Tyson at weight as he is so busy. Moves all the time even in his crate at night he throws his body around.
If dogs are humans in fur coats I have a cross between Mohammd Ali and Bozo the clown.I love that girls white face.

cocker_luva
09-15-2006, 02:54 PM
PERSONALLY I JUST LIKE THE LOOK AND THINK THAT A BOXER DOESNT LOOK LIKE A BOXER WITHOUT IT

i love the look also. what a cutie. good luck with ur surgery! cant wait to see the new pics! :D

Suki Wingy
09-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Goodluck Baby! I LOVE her markings! I think she'll look good before and after. How are you getting them done, traditional style or show style? I'm sure you know about the upkeep with the ears. If you get them done long and thin (show style) there is a good chance on them falling down if you don't keep up with the taping and stabilising. You might have to go back and re-tape at about 16-18 months to make sure they stand. I guss the surgury is already done now so you couldn't ask for traditional, shorter more triangular ears so the taping will be easier. Be sure to post taped pics! I love the way pups look with their tape on. :)

buttercup132
09-15-2006, 06:40 PM
I too like the look of cropped ears I will be doing it to my Dane when I get him.
The whole makign it to make her look meaner is stupid I think. Why would you try and make people think the breed is mean?? Would you want what happened to our sweet pits to happen to Boxers?
It things like this that turn people on the breed and start blaming them for things they didnt do. I would do it to my Dane because I love the look and think it makes them look regal and I am hoping to show my dog.

timlewis
09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
To Be Blunt I Dont Care What People Think About The Breed As Long As It Helps Keep My Family Safe, My Boxer Is Sweet And I Will Raise Her That Way But The Meaner People Tink She Is The Safer My Family Will Be And The Happier I Will Be.

Jadapit
09-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Good luck with the ears. :) She is a beautiful girl. Is she pure boxer? I know what you mean about wanting to keep your family safe. My husband works out of town a lot. I feel better having my three big dogs here with me. :)

CelticDreamer
09-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Just the thought of cropped ears and docked tails makes me squeem..... I could never in a million years have this done to any animal of mine but to each is own.... Such a cutie you have though I hope she has the best life with many more tomorrows....

zoomer
09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Very beautiful girl! Although I disagree with your greatly on cropping her ears. How would you feel if your ears were cut and taped? It must hurt, and it hurts the dog just as much as it would her a human. Have you ever gotten your ears pierced? Well it hurts much worse than lat! They cut off almost half the ear. I don't see a reason to hurt a dog just to make them look mean. And it will not make her look mean. I do not see any reason at all for cropping ears unless you are going to show her, and she clearly has too much white on her body to be shown in Showmanship, which requires Boxers to have cropped ears. Try taking her to work sometime and reasurring people about Boxers, then maybe they wouldn't be as scared. Please change your mind and curve around having her hurt by cropping her ears!!

buttercup132
09-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Very beautiful girl! Although I disagree with your greatly on cropping her ears. How would you feel if your ears were cut and taped? It must hurt, and it hurts the dog just as much as it would her a human. Have you ever gotten your ears pierced? Well it hurts much worse than lat! They cut off almost half the ear. I don't see a reason to hurt a dog just to make them look mean. And it will not make her look mean. I do not see any reason at all for cropping ears unless you are going to show her, and she clearly has too much white on her body to be shown in Showmanship, which requires Boxers to have cropped ears. Try taking her to work sometime and reasurring people about Boxers, then maybe they wouldn't be as scared. Please change your mind and curve around having her hurt by cropping her ears!!Getting your dog fixed is painfull to though. And getting your ears or anything for that matter dosent hurt(or hurt me at least lol) I totally agree with you though.
If you dont care what other people think then people like you are going to be the ones giving Boxers bad raps...Also just because you think it makes them look meaner dosent mean other people do;)
A dog is a dog ears up or down it dosent matter.
I'm sure a huge Mastiff would scare someone too and there ears are always down..

CathyBogart
09-15-2006, 09:55 PM
She's a doll! While I prefer natural ears, I think she's going to be a lovely girl upright or floppy. :) I feel much safer with Jasper around too, though he's small he's my guard dog. ^_^

Giselle
09-16-2006, 02:45 AM
I do not see any reason at all for cropping ears unless you are going to show her, and she clearly has too much white on her body to be shown in Showmanship, which requires Boxers to have cropped ears. Try taking her to work sometime and reasurring people about Boxers, then maybe they wouldn't be as scared. Please change your mind and curve around having her hurt by cropping her ears!!

I wholeheartedly disagree. Boxers are allowed to have less than 1/3 of their coat be white. Flashy Boxers are very popular in the show ring (flashy usually meaning Boxers with white chests and socks).

Disqualifications Boxers that are any color other than fawn or brindle. Boxers with a total of white markings exceeding one-third of the entire coat.

Also, if you'd read Timlewis's posts, he stated that he *wanted* his dog to appear threatening so as to protect his wife and children. I believe that is fine as long as he knows how to properly care for his dog, and from the looks of it, he knows what he is doing.

Timlewis, I commend you for handling this topic in a very civil manner and I wish your puppy a speedy recovery. :)

leansnslobbers
09-16-2006, 03:58 AM
My personal feelings? Well, I understand the desire to keep your family safe..point is...ears are not going to be the deciding factor if some lunatic wants to harm your family. A boxer is a family pet, but also one who will not stand for harm to be done to his beloveds....ears do not change this fact...Your dog barking at the door/window/fence whatever is deterent enough...

I doubt anyone thinks less of my dane when she's barking because she doesn't have cropped ears.

I personally am not for or against cropping, but I am against doing it for the wrong reasons. If you TRULY like the look..then that's your perogative. But if you're doing it for a reason such as you are doing it for...well, I think you should think long and hard.

I worked at a kennel, we boarded several boxers, most natural earred. One was downright vicous...he was natural earred..he couldn't have looked any meaner had he had devil horns coming out of his skull.

Point is...when your dog is barking...a criminal is looking at the TEETH not the ears.

timlewis
09-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Again I Thank All Of U For Ur Replies, Zoomer U Suggested I Take Her To Work, Well Im Not Sure U Understand That I Do Work In A Coal Mines. Not For Sure Where U R From But I Do Go Into A Big Hole In The Ground And The Conditions Where I Work R Not Somewhere I Would Even Let My Dog Go, Although I Go Because I Make Good Money Considering Where I Live. And I Do Think That Cropped Ears Make A Dog Look Meaner, Simply Because It Makes Them Look Like There Alarmed About Something Or That THEY Mean Business While Barking. And To Get Back To Taking Her To Work, I Dont Want People To Know She Isnt Mean So Why Would I Want To Do That. I Understand Some People, Most Of U All, Buy Adopt Whatever, Get A Dog For A Companion, My Main Reason For Wanting A Dog Was For Protecting My Family. Now A Boxer May Not Be The First Choice For A Lot Of People, But I Had To Think About My Two Children. It Doesnt Matter What I Bought Its Just A Pup To Them So I Also Wanted A Dog That Would Be A Good Family Pet. Now Considering I Wanted Both Of Those And I Love The Way A Boxer Looks ( With Cropped Ears And Without But Not As Much) A Boxer Was The Perfect Choice Because They R Some Of The Best Dogs You Can Get Around Children, And People Do Think They R Mean Just Because They R A Bulldog. Now That I Have Her I Absolutely Fell In Love With Her, But I Still Want Her To Look Intimidating And To Me Cropped Ears Make Her Look More So. And To Im Not As Much Into Dogs Cats Animals As Some Of U R. I Do Love Daisy, But I Hear A Lot Of People Say That Their Dog Is Just Like A Kid To Them And They Love Them Just The Same As Someone Would A Kid. Not So. Until U Have Had A Child Or Are A Parent Of A Child Then U Will Never And I Do Mean Never Know The True Love U Have For Ur Own Flesh And Blood. A Dog Is A Very Good Companion But Not A Child And As I Stated Before It Is Not Even Sensible To Compare A Dog To A Human Because Their Not, So No Ive Never Had My Ears Cut Off Or Will I Never Hopefully But That Does Not Mean That I Shouldnt Have My Dogs Ears Cropped. I Do Understand Where Your Coming From But None The Less Come Tuesday Her Ears Will Be Cropped So That When She Gets Older (in My Opinion) She Will Look Meaner. Again I Thank You All For All Of Your Replies And I Have Not Meant To Offend Anyone By My Statement Or Make Anyone Mad This Is Just My Opinion And I Do Hope To Keep Hearing All Of Yours Whether I Agree Or Disagree With Them.

Ginger's Mom
09-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Well Tim, I am very impressed with the way you have taken and responded to some of the replies in this thread. I think Daisy is adorable (and yes I do think cropped ears make a dog look more threatening). I hope all goes well on Tuesday (?). And would like to see a lot more pictures of this little cutie as she grows. :)

Daisy and Delilah
09-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Tim, you do what you think is the best. She is adorable, either way. My hat goes off to you for working in the coal mines. I lived in coal country in Virginia for awhile and I know the pitfalls of your job. You have my total respect. :) Be safe and take care.

critter crazy
09-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Tim, I think that you have handled yourself very well, and i commend you! I Myself like the look of cropped ears, and I understand the need for a dog as protection! I used to spend 90% of my time alone with my children as my husband was in the Army and traveled alot! I got myself a 120# Rottweiler, just for piece of mind, and it worked! he may have been the worlds sweetest teddybear, but no one else knew that! I hope she makes it out of surgey okay, and I know that you will be taking the best care of her! good luck! By the way, she is looking fabulous, and is just adorable!!:)

zoey
09-16-2006, 08:33 AM
I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but I wish you'd reconsider. Sometimes the ears aren't done evenly, or are cut too short. Then the dog has the pain, plus the deformity. Just a thought. Your dog is so pretty just the way she is.

Husky15
09-16-2006, 09:18 AM
You know what, you do what you feel needs to be done Tim. Daisy is a beautiful Boxer and will look great either way. Millions of people buy dogs just for guarding them, but usually fall in love with him :p. My uncle bought a dog and he said himself he'd want it for a guard dog. But there is so much love between those two, they're inseperable. I respect you so much for the love you have for your wife and children, and how mature and self-controlled you are in this thread, and how respectful you are. I think I would have made a snap or two by now, but you haven't. So I tip my hat to you for that. Cropped ears may hurt but eventually it wont and your dog will look beautiful and as intimidating as you want her to. You never know, the cropped ears may benifit you and your family in the end. :)

But I do agree with leansnslobbers in one thing. The criminal will be looking at the teeth alot more. But cropped ears just add to the look.

Zany_girlie
09-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Awwww...shes so cute! I really dont understand why anyone would ever want to crop those cute floppy ears! They just give her a really innocent, cute, cuddley look!

cyber-sibes
09-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Hello again. I know I already posted my support for this to be your decision, but I wanted to add to the "do cropped ears look more intimidating" debate.
I would say YES. When my husky puppy was in obedience classes, another very large breed dog (it was either a mastiff or a pyrenees) kept snarling & snapping & trying to grab her. The trainer explained that some dogs "interpret" perk (upright) ears to be a sign of aggression, so they respond more aggressively to dogs with standing ears. So, at least to another dog, she will look more aggressive. I think that with cropped ears, boxers/dobies look more "alert", you can see those ears swivel and lay back, in my opinion they just convey the dog's stance a little more clearly than flop ears. But, like mentioned, it's her teeth that will be getting the criminal's attention! :D

timlewis
09-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Awwww...shes so cute! I really dont understand why anyone would ever want to crop those cute floppy ears! They just give her a really innocent, cute, cuddley look!
EXACTLY, the cropped look is not for when someone is already trying to break in but rather just as they go by and they may see her in my yard and think how mean she looks. thank you all

coco-bean
09-16-2006, 10:59 AM
People are Scared sh**less of coco and her ears are floppy! We know that she wouldnt hurt anybody but she just gets so excited to see new people that she ends up scaring them instead! I'd keep the floppy, theres no REAL reason that they need to be cropped accept for your pleasure! I understand that your family is your most important thing, but cropped or NOT cropped, when someone breaks into a house they are not looking to see who has the meanest Looking dogs, their just looking at this animal who could turn and attack at anytime if any one of the family members in harmed! So it doesnt matter if the ears are cropped, because dogs can guard a family with their ears floppy just as well as if the ears werent! Believe it or not, but theres alot of people who are scared of breaking into a house With a dog, they dont care what it looks like, all they know is "this house has A dog, stay away from it"! I just hope you dont, but i know it's your choice!

Iilo
09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Tim,

Just want to stop by and say I agree with your decision to crop her ears and also with your statement that way too many people here compare their dogs to humans. I am guilty of calling my two "kids," but I'm not under the impression that they are anything like what my own flesh and blood will be.

You've got a really cute puppy there... And as soon as she gets that goofy tape off her ears, I'm sure she'll be very intimidating. Also, even though she is a Boxer, were your wife and kids ever in danger, I'm sure she would protect them with her life.

BC_MoM
09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
I think Tim has the right to do what he wants with his dog. I don't know much about cropping (like pain, if any, that the dog goes through, etc..).

Personally, I wouldn't crop a dogs' ears, but that just because I'm squeamish and just think it sounds gross! lol

Cropped ears won't make her look meaner, act meaner, etc, but it's Tim's dog, his rights.

I'm upset that PT would so strongly disagree with someone and their opinion. You can state yours, but no need to hijack the thread that was posted to just post pictures of a little cutie like this girl before she gets her ears cropped.

I'm not going to say anymore, as my opinions here are usually taken negatively or wrong. I'm afraid I've said too much already.

Vela
09-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Well I don't think I was negative towards him at all, and I didn't hijack it, but I did give him very important necessary information about anesthetics in Boxers. I don't crop, I don't like it, but it's his dog. We don't have to agree with him but I think he is doing his best to learn about better foods and take good care of her, he wouldn't be here if he didn't. Not everyone feels the same about their animals, but that does not invalidate ANYONES feeling. Some see them as children, that is their right and perogative, some don't, same goes. As long as they take good and proper care of the dog, the rest is irrelevant.

I find it interseting some say cropping to show is fine, but not if you aren't going to. Well, dogs don't care about showing, it's done for the person, because they want to show. It doesn't benefit the dog, it benefits the person, so IMO it's the same thing.

I just hope Daisy comes out okay in the end and nothign happens during surgery. I'm sure Tim does what he feels is best for her and he obviosly cares or he wouldn't have come here to find out how to feed her better and make sure she's doing well.

mugsy
09-16-2006, 01:22 PM
How unfortunate that he has to be mutilated like that....he sure is (was) cute with natural ears.

I hope that soon the U.S. will join the 21st century and make it illegal to crop and dock...it's simply what I stated before...mutilation. Perhaps we could crop their ears....

Giselle
09-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Hello again. I know I already posted my support for this to be your decision, but I wanted to add to the "do cropped ears look more intimidating" debate.
I would say YES. When my husky puppy was in obedience classes, another very large breed dog (it was either a mastiff or a pyrenees) kept snarling & snapping & trying to grab her. The trainer explained that some dogs "interpret" perk (upright) ears to be a sign of aggression, so they respond more aggressively to dogs with standing ears. So, at least to another dog, she will look more aggressive. I think that with cropped ears, boxers/dobies look more "alert", you can see those ears swivel and lay back, in my opinion they just convey the dog's stance a little more clearly than flop ears. But, like mentioned, it's her teeth that will be getting the criminal's attention! :D
I just want to pop in and agree with you. Cropped ears DO make a dog look more intimidating (whether you want to admit it or not) because perked ears show signs of alarm and intent focus. Subliminally, when you see a dog with upright, perked ears and sharp eyefocus, you will think twice before approaching this particular dog. This is one of the reasons why Giselle is intimidated by perk-eared dogs herself. She never approaches GSDs.

Tim, once again, hope your puppy recovers quickly and thanks to you for staying so civil about this.

Iilo
09-16-2006, 04:45 PM
I agree that cropped or naturally erect ears make a dog look more intimidating. Though personally I am attracted to dogs with naturally erect ears (Malamutes and GSDs being the two primary breeds in my life), I am also attracted to dogs who are usually cropped (Dobermans and Boxers). I personally think this comes back to the primary reason I have dogs: as a safety net/protection. Nobody messes with you if you've got an 80lb "wolf" walking next to you.

Alasse
09-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Personally i'm against cropping or tail docking..it is of no benefit to todays dogs at all. I'm pretty sure its illegal here (i'd have to check)

My fella has floppy ears, but let me say people are scared of him. I take him for a walk and most people will cross to the other side of the road, or as far from him as possible. He makes no move toward them but he stares, i mean very very intently at anyone coming toward him and it is un-nerving obviously. His sheer size (50kg+) too is very offputting.

I don't find dogs with up ears or floppy ears any less intimidating, the thing i look at when approaching a dog is their eyes and hackles *LOL* I treat all strange dogs with respect.

Danegirl2208
09-16-2006, 06:04 PM
i always hate seeing threads like this..We all have our on views and opinions, which is great.. but he did NOT ask to be criticized. If you want to debate about cropping why not start another thread? Once again good luck to you Tim, and to your baby girl..keep us updated please :)

Danegirl2208
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
how did the surgery go??

Husky15
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Yes. I too am really looking forward to hearing about the results. I really hope everything went great and can't wait to see her with her new ears.

critter crazy
09-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Me three!! how did it go Tim?? is that sweet little girl doing good??:)

dukedogsmom
09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
How unfortunate that he has to be mutilated like that....he sure is (was) cute with natural ears.

I hope that soon the U.S. will join the 21st century and make it illegal to crop and dock...it's simply what I stated before...mutilation. Perhaps we could crop their ears....
Add me to the list........biting my tongue not to say more.

CountryWolf07
09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
i always hate seeing threads like this..We all have our on views and opinions, which is great.. but he did NOT ask to be criticized. If you want to debate about cropping why not start another thread? Once again good luck to you Tim, and to your baby girl..keep us updated please :)

Agreed.

That's why I don't post much about my pets, really. Either right way or not, it'll always be something like this topic.