PDA

View Full Version : Stained Clothes .... To Wear or Not To Wear?

kimlovescats
09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
OK, first of all let me clarify that I do not work outside of the home .... or I would obviously be more concerned with my appearance. So, let's answer this poll for the non-work attire, OK?

Now ..... If you get a stain on your clothing .... do you continue to wear it, or do you never wear it again and consider it ruined?

ME? If I trashed every piece of clothing (shirts in particular) that I had dropped food or dribbled drink on, I would have to buy new clothes daily! :eek: So, I will wear stained clothes .... within reason of course. I mean if the stain was HUGE and all over the article then it would become a house cleaning or painting shirt. Since I mostly live in blue jeans and baggy t-shirts, I figure I can live with the greasy food stains down the front of me! :p

Now ... let's be honest here folks! :D

JenBKR
09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Oh I certainly still wear them. I can't afford to buy new clothes every time I spill something on what I have, that's just about everyday!

sasvermont
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
:rolleyes: I always manage to get bleach on my clothes. I cannot tell you how many nice jackets etc. have "little white dots" on the front. I still wear them.

Miss Z
09-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I can't stand it if I drop or spill something onto my clothes and it makes a stain, I always change right away. If the stain doesn't come out, then it's to the 'bin with that article of clothing! :p

finn's mom
09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I won't wear stained stuff out and about. I don't usually wear stained stuff at home, either, but, I will if I'm doing something dirty (like painting or bathing the dogs or something). I didn't vote, because I don't necessarily think it's tacky to wear something with a stain on it, just not something I do personally. :)

catnapper
09-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I have a "built-in shelf" that tends to collect anything I'm eating or drinking. All my stains are right on that shelf, and not below LOL

Yeah, I wear clothes with stains. I have gotten very good at stain removal though :D

kimlovescats
09-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I have a "built-in shelf" that tends to collect anything I'm eating or drinking. All my stains are right on that shelf, and not below LOL

Yeah, I wear clothes with stains. I have gotten very good at stain removal though :D

LOL! Yea, I have that *issue* as well! :D I guess I'm too lazy to bother with stain removal.... but I will do it for kids or hubby ... especially if it's a brand new outfit! ;)

Randi
09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I would wear it indoors, but I'd try to get it off immediately by soaking it in soap. If the stain won't come off, I still consider it clean and would wear it again, but not out of the house. I do have a shirt I wear when I paint, it's comfy, but not for outside. ;)

Once, I spilled wine.... or something, on a favourite shirt. I was a guest at a friends house, but took it off and put into a solution of bleach. Only thing was, that the bleach stains came onto the "new" shirt I put on. :rolleyes:

caseysmom
09-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I thought I was only one with a hole in their chin :D

I would wear them at home, no biggie...and the new beach pens are great for whites.

catlover4ever
09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
While I don't wear stained clothes to work I DO wear them around the house while cleaning or especially working out in the yard. Right now I have a pair of shorts that have a big sap stain on the back leg and a tank top that I wear while gardening....it's stained so I always wear it and don't have to worry if I wipe my hands on the top or get it dirtier than it already is.

Laura's Babies
I do wear them, like you said, you would have to constantly be buying new clothing. Besides, what is a little spot anyway? I usually add another one so it won't get lonesome. (I save the really bad ones to wear when I am doing painting or something really messy.)

sirrahbed
I will still wear something around the house even though it has a slight stain on it. So, I voted for the option that says I try not to wear stains. I live in jeans and tees, too - so small marks don't really show much. I have stain stick and a bleach pen handy in the laundry room. I keep intending to buy one of those Tide pens that Kellie Ripa advertises ;)

RICHARD
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
i was eating oysters out of a tin, when I spilled the oil they were packed in on my nice blue shirt.

I was ticked off because I love that shirt.

The worst part of it was I didn't notice until I wore it the next time.

-------------------------

A few weeks later I went to get some brakes for my truck. I was in the Auto parts store and saw that they had a sale on that hand cleaner goop.

As I stood in line I saw that the manufacturer put a note on the top of the car that said something like, "excellent on laundry-try it!"

I thought about that shirt, the stain had set for about 1 month, went home and put a dab on the stains, then put it in the washer....

NO MORE STAINS!

IT was pretty amazing...

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-1013-Label-Cream-Cleaner/dp/B000FW4MFM

I think I paid about 1.50 per can....a real deal, considering the job it did....

CHECK IT OUT!

kimlovescats
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM
i was eating oysters out of a tin, when I spilled the oil they were packed in on my nice blue shirt.

I was ticked off because I love that shirt.

The worst part of it was I didn't notice until I wore it the next time.

-------------------------

A few weeks later I went to get some brakes for my truck. I was in the Auto parts store and saw that they had a sale on that hand cleaner goop.

As I stood in line I saw that the manufacturer put a note on the top of the car that said something like, "excellent on laundry-try it!"

I thought about that shirt, the stain had set for about 1 month, went home and put a dab on the stains, then put it in the washer....

NO MORE STAINS!

IT was pretty amazing...

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-1013-Label-Cream-Cleaner/dp/B000FW4MFM

I think I paid about 1.50 per can....a real deal, considering the job it did....

CHECK IT OUT!

Thanks for the tip, Richard! Did it not leave a greasy spot from the cleaner? That's a problem I've had before ... the stain comes out, but the cleaner leaves a greasy spot! :rolleyes:

RICHARD
09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the tip, Richard! Did it not leave a greasy spot from the cleaner? That's a problem I've had before ... the stain comes out, but the cleaner leaves a greasy spot! :rolleyes:

No, it didn't!

I am a guy and I was amazed at how well it worked. :D

It completely took both stains out....they were the size of a donut.
The shirt was synthetic material....I don't know how well it would work on cotton!

Randi
09-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Oh, one other thing to try, is to take a normal bar of soap - white of course, or some uncoloured dishwashing liquid and wipe it into the cloth immediately. I promise it works! ;) Even on red wine.

ramanth
09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
The only piece of clothing I can recall gettig stained was a favorite sweatshirt of mine. Some kind of grease got on it and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the stain out.

I wore it a few times but I'd see the stain and it just annoyed me, so I threw it out. :eek: :o

BC_MoM
09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Nope, never. I am too self concious.

I won't throw it out, but I won't wear it. If I do, it'd be for pajamas, but I wouldn't change into them until right before I get into bed.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
If it's a small spot I don't mind to much. I doubt anyone else is paying enough attention to what I'm wearing to notice or care. Plus, no matter how hard I try, I usually have some dog/cat hair on my clothes anyway! :p

kimlovescats
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
The only piece of clothing I can recall gettig stained was a favorite sweatshirt of mine. Some kind of grease got on it and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the stain out.

I wore it a few times but I'd see the stain and it just annoyed me, so I threw it out. :eek: :o

You've only stained on piece of clothing??????? :eek: Every single time I eat I drop something on me! I know it's because I have such a small mouth! :D

beeniesmom
09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I won't wear stained stuff out and about. I don't usually wear stained stuff at home, either, but, I will if I'm doing something dirty (like painting or bathing the dogs or something). I didn't vote, because I don't necessarily think it's tacky to wear something with a stain on it, just not something I do personally. :)

That was what I was going to answer.

Jessika
09-12-2006, 03:12 PM
It depends on how badly stained the article of clothing is lol

Around the house... sure, yeah, who cares!! One of my favorite hoodies has a big bleach spot on the front LOL I even wear it in public, I don't care.

mruffruff
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I can't eat anything without dribbling! I finally bought an adult bib :rolleyes:

My slightly stained clothes are worn around the house. When they get really bad, I wear them to paint or do dirty jobs.

I'm pretty good at stain removal too. I usually can get stains out with Joy diswashing liquid. I used Outright Simple Solution on a spread last weekend and it did a great job. (I bought it used and the stains looked like pet urine or vomit)

I'll have to get a can of that hand cleaner. I'm always buying my clothes from the thrift stores and finding a spot later.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
If I'm just doing house work then I don't care if what I'm wearing has a stain. I try not to wear stained clothes out of the house though.

Dorothy39
09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Kblaix, Thank-You for that Wonderful Signiture!!!!!!!!!! :D

Stains? :rolleyes:

Well, I have a special drawer that holds "work clothes", talk about stains!!!! :rolleyes: They are beyond help!!! I wear some of the most ridiculous clothing when I am working outside, or, painting inside, or, bathing a dog , etc.

However, , Today, I spilled some coffee on a nice knit sweater!!!!! :rolleyes:

That is a different story!!!! I soak these kind of clothing articles in Color Safe Bleach, and of course, I pray!!!!

lizbud
09-12-2006, 05:10 PM
No, I would not continue wearing it.I have enough at home type clothes
that I wouldn't miss it. I always try to remove a stain when it happens so
it doesn't become permanent.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
When I'm staying home, I wear my stained clothes. I usually get stains on my clothes outside of the home, so I am stuck wearing them till I get back.

carole
09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
well you said be honest, so i will stained clothing is a particular pet peeve of mine, i absolutely hate seeing anyone wearing stained clothing, so obviously i would never ever do that, infact if i get a small stain, off it comes straight away into the napisan for a soak, i don't even like stains on children's clothing, but of course understand that,but yep if my kids stained their stuff off it came, i know a devil for punishment, consquently i do lots and lots of laundry.

Cincy'sMom
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM

I have this same problem!!! The Tide pen is a remarkable invention for this problem!!!

RedHedd
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I have a "built-in shelf" that tends to collect anything I'm eating or drinking. All my stains are right on that shelf, and not below LOL:D I guess I'm not alone here. When it happens, I usually say "with a target like that how could I miss?: :D

cali
09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
all the time lol my favorite pair of jeans has a big brown paint stain on the leg. and my faverite shirt is like 10 years old and completly filled with rips and tears a stain here and there... but its the comfiest shirt ever, and I wear it in public all the time lol

kimlovescats
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Maybe I need to clarify what I wear ... LOL! I do not wear things that have like big red colored stains, or anything really large and noticeable. But I tend to always drop at least one bite of everything I eat on my chest or belly! They *get in the way* ! :rolleyes: So, most of my clothes have one small round *splat* right where a bite of food landed! I guess I am so used to it (or sick of it ...lol) that I don't even notice anymore. I will have to try one of those pens ... heck, I better start carrying one in my purse! I really would like to have spotless clothes for a change! :D

Pam
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, first of all, who would have ever thought that we would get a household hint from a MAN!! Richard, thank you for that. :D I, too, just relegate my stained clothes for at home use for a dirty job. Hubby is another story. He has favorite clothes and doesn't see the harm in wearing them outside the house if they get a stain. I have to *make them disappear* or he will wear them and look like a bum. Once he got a cigarette burn on one of his favorite shirts that he wears to work. It was lower, sort of near the waistline. He told me that when he tucks in the shirt it wouldn't show. Well it did, and that shirt magically disappeared too. :p :p

Barbara
09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't wear stains and am pretty good in removing all kinds of them (if nothing helps, then even dry cleaning is a way to go, but I think that pure white soap Randi mentions is a good thing, bleach is, cleaning gasoline is etc etc)

And with my husband it is like with Pam's- I Have to make disappear his old and stained clothes. He'll continue to say "I'll wear it in the garden"- by this his garden compartment could be much bigger than the rest of his closet ;)