PDA

View Full Version : Woman possibly to be arrested for saving a dog: Help Tammy and Doogie!!

ramanth
09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I got this notice from adverse reactions group I joined after Kia had her issue with ProHeart 6:

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/tammy.html

Email received from Tammy Grimes

OK, everyone, if you're getting this e-mail it means the police
followed through on their threat to put me in jail for taking Doogie today.

Here is the background info:

We got a call from Kim in East Freedom this morning, crying because Doogie hadn't gotten up since Saturday. She had been calling the Central Pennsylvania Humane Society since Saturday to no avail. We told her we aren't law officers, and she needed to call the humane officer.

Then we got another call about the same dog, from another person who passes him every day. At that point we called Kim back to see if she'd heard from the Humane Officer. She had not, so we promised her we'd go out and see what we could do. When we got there, we took photos and video of Doogie. We initially thought he was dead, as he was not moving and his back was to us. We found out that the people were not home to talk to about him, so I made the decision that he could not lay there on the cold wet ground for one moment longer, and I would accept all consequences of my decision.

The neighbor Kim has agreed to testify on my behalf if necessary. She cried the whole time we were there, you can hear her on the video.

I think once you see the video and pictures, you'll understand why I made this decision.

The vet documented his general negligent condition, low weight, sores, missing fur, and took xrays of his back and hips. He determined that he has very bad back spurs that are causing him a lot of pain and are most likely responsible for his inability to walk. He also saw an undetermined mass near his hip on the xray. He gave him a shot for pain plus some B vitamins for energy, so that perhaps he could have even one
good day or a few good hours. He wrote a letter stating his condition in case we needed it.

Shortly after we got Doogie to my home, situated, bathed (had to, the stench was too bad), and fed and watered an Officer Flag called from the Freedom Township Police Department (I know, Freedom, isn't that ironic?). He wanted me to return Doogie, which I refused to do.

Here's what I need from you all. View the videos and photos, below. I think you'll agree with me that this is NOT acceptable in ANY kind of humane society, and we cannot allow this kind of animal abuse. We MUST stand up and STOP accepting this to be ok for people to do to their
dogs, and STOP jailing those who are trying to help them.

I could never look myself in the eye again, much less sleep tonight, had I left Doogie there dying, shivering in the dirt. I will spend the rest of my life in jail as opposed to handing him over to be abused further by these people.

Please, contact ALL media with these photos and videos. Get justice, for Doogie and for me. Do NOT allow this treatment of those who are here to help, and who actually care. Call the Pennsylvania Humane Society and tell them you expect them to stand with me against this kind of abuse.

Doogie laying on the ground, neighbor crying in background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9t1rv4pj4

Doogie after vet at Grimes house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wxGP1N7QQ

Officer Flag: Cell 814.201.0149
Freedom Township Police Headquarters: 814.695.8545
Pennsylvania Humane Society: 814.942.5402
Humane Officer Paul Gotshall: 814.942.3780

Altoona Mirror: 800.287.4480; [email protected];
[email protected]
WTAJ-TV10: 814.944.1414
WJAC-TV 6: 814.255.7600

All national media! Make sure to send them links to the video, it's very compelling. My best friend, Tracy, has the video and hi-resolution copies of the images for print. She can be reached at [email protected]

Don't stop until there is Justice for Doogie and ME! I'm just not tolerating this kind of treatment, for either of us. No one should.

Tammy

(Ed Note: This has been verified by Tracy.)

(After watching the video,there are doubts if anyone would have done any differently)

JenBKR
09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh my gosh. I was sick and crying after watching that first video. Not to mention :mad: How could someone let their dog get to that point. I will be making some phone calls soon, as Doogie simply can't go back to that house and Tammy should NOT be in jail because of this. :mad: Thanks for letting us know.

CathyBogart
09-12-2006, 11:46 AM
X-posted...

Reachoutrescue
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
I am over whelmed by this. How can they consider giving back this poor dog to the old owner. This outrages me to no extent!! :mad:

moosmom
09-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Tammy,

Bless your heart for saving that baby's life. He'd surely be dead if it weren't for you. Shame on the cops for making a bad decision. I'm with you 100% girl!!

zoey
09-16-2006, 09:37 AM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the dog has been neglected. What is wrong with people? Send a sick dog to a bad *home* to die???
No. I think not. What you're dong is right, Tammy. And anyone with a heart and conscience knows that.
God Bless you in your endeavor!!

LilacDragon
09-16-2006, 10:08 AM
There are two sides to this story, you know. And I am not talking about the owners.

Tammy refuses to let law enforcement see the dog and from the information that I have gotten elsewhere (which I have found to be VERY reliable in the past) she refuses to release any information about the vet that attended the dog. Maybe if she offered more evidence to the dog's condition she wouldn't be in such a pickle.

Don't get me wrong - I have removed dogs from yards while the owners were away to - but it is STEALING in the eyes of the law and you have to be ready and willing to except the consequences of your actions.

But.....this sure is getting her organization plenty of "air time" and I am sure donations.

Cataholic
09-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I tend to lean towards liliacdragon's comment. If she had been arrested, it is kind of doubtful she would have been 'locked up'. More likely, arrested, and either posted bond, released OR, or, arraigned the following day. Then, she gets to go before a Judge and explain the situation. IF, IF it is a serious as she said, then, it seems the charges would be dismissed. Something doesn't sound quite right here.

flip195
09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
I tend to lean towards liliacdragon's comment. If she had been arrested, it is kind of doubtful she would have been 'locked up'. More likely, arrested, and either posted bond, released OR, or, arraigned the following day. Then, she gets to go before a Judge and explain the situation. IF, IF it is a serious as she said, then, it seems the charges would be dismissed. Something doesn't sound quite right here.
Both the humane Society and the AC and police were contacted several times over the weekend, this is a matter of record... none of them responded which is why on Monday Tammy Grimes did what she did.
http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/penn.htm (http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/penn.htm)
Quote:
(c) CRUELTY TO ANIMALS.--A PERSON COMMITS A SUMMARY OFFENSE IF HE WANTONLY OR CRUELLY ILLTREATS, OVERLOADS, BEATS, OTHERWISE ABUSES ANY ANIMAL, OR NEGLECTS ANY ANIMAL AS TO WHICH HE HAS A DUTY OF CARE, WHETHER BELONGING TO HIMSELF OR OTHERWISE, OR ABANDONS ANY ANIMAL, OR DEPRIVES ANY ANIMAL OF NECESSARY SUSTENANCE, DRINK, SHELTER OR VETERINARY CARE, OR ACCESS TO CLEAN AND SANITARY SHELTER WHICH WILL PROTECT THE ANIMAL AGAINST INCLEMENT WEATHER AND PRESERVE THE ANIMAL'S BODY HEAT AND KEEP IT DRY. THIS SUBSECTION SHALL NOT APPLY TO ACTIVITY UNDERTAKEN IN NORMAL AGRICULTURAL OPERATION.

Quote:
(i) POWER TO INITIATE CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS.--AN AGENT OF ANY SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATION FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS, INCORPORATED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, SHALL HAVE THE SAME POWERS TO INITIATE CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS PROVIDED FOR POLICE OFFICERS BY THE PENNSYLVANIA RULES OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE. AN AGENT OF ANY SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATION FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS, INCORPORATED UNDER THE LAWS OF THIS COMMONWEALTH, SHALL HAVE STANDING TO REQUEST ANY COURT OF COMPETENT JURISDICTION TO ENJOIN ANY VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION.

Quote:
(l) SEARCH WARRANTS.--WHERE A VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION IS ALLEGED, ANY ISSUING AUTHORITY MAY, IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE APPLICABLE PROVISIONS OF THE PENNSYLVANIA RULES OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, ISSUE TO ANY POLICE OFFICER OR ANY AGENT OF ANY SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATION FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS DULY INCORPORATED UNDER THE LAWS OF THIS COMMONWEALTH A SEARCH WARRANT AUTHORIZING THE SEARCH OF ANY BUILDING OR ANY ENCLOSURE IN WHICH ANY VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION IS OCCURRING OR HAS OCCURRED, AND AUTHORIZING THE SEIZURE OF EVIDENCE OF THE VIOLATION INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE ANIMALS WHICH WERE THE SUBJECT OF THE VIOLATION. WHERE AN ANIMAL THUS SEIZED IS FOUND TO BE NEGLECTED OR STARVING, THE POLICE OFFICER OR AGENT IS AUTHORIZED TO PROVIDE SUCH CARE AS IS REASONABLY NECESSARY, AND WHERE ANY ANIMAL THUS SEIZED IS FOUND TO BE DISABLED, INJURED OR DISEASED BEYOND REASONABLE HOPE OF RECOVERY, THE POLICE OFFICER OR AGENT IS AUTHORIZED TO PROVIDE FOR THE HUMANE DESTRUCTION OF THE ANIMAL. THE COST OF THE KEEPING, CARE AND DESTRUCTION OF THE ANIMAL SHALL BE PAID BY THE OWNER THEREOF AND CLAIMS FOR THE COSTS SHALL CONSTITUTE A LIEN UPON THE ANIMAL. IN ADDITION TO ANY OTHER PENALTY PROVIDED BY LAW, THE AUTHORITY IMPOSING SENTENCE UPON A CONVICTION FOR ANY VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION MAY REQUIRE THAT THE OWNER PAY THE COST OF THE KEEPING, CARE AND DESTRUCTION OF THE ANIMAL. NO SEARCH WARRANT SHALL BE ISSUED BASED UPON AN ALLEGED VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION WHICH AUTHORIZES ANY POLICE OFFICER OR AGENT OR OTHER PERSON TO ENTER UPON OR SEARCH PREMISES WHERE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH WORK IS BEING CONDUCTED BY, OR UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF, GRADUATES OF DULY ACCREDITED SCIENTIFIC SCHOOLS OR WHERE BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS ARE BEING PRODUCED FOR THE CARE OR PREVENTION OF DISEASE.

PA's code of cruelty. I would like to point out this:
Quote:
AN AGENT OF ANY SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATION FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS

Being a member of a 501c association for the prevention of cruelty, even if its not a HS should be enough as this is the way it is worded in their code.
Those paragraphs indicate that the "agent" can start criminal proceeding and/or acquire a search warrant through legal channels. In other words, do the legal beagle stuff BEFORE trespassing and seizing.
The only thing tammy actually did wrong was she did not get a warrent... as time was of the essence here I believe it would have negligent to act any other way.

OK from a legal standpoint
Regarding the abuse

There is the owners admission in the first article in the mirror. Admitting the knew the dog was sick.
"Lori Arnold said her family had planned to euthanize the dog.
“But do you know how hard that is to do?” she said."

There are pictures
video's
witness'es
and the report of a quailified vet, not to mention NUMEROUS calls to the authorities, which went ignored.

I have seen ppl jailed with far less evidence.

I agree maybe Tammy did not do everything right, but time was of the essence here, the authorities had ignored the reports for long enough.

http://forum.dog.com/asp/upfiles/22479/73963726D53E4DD4A131F1089DDAF3B7.jpg

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 10:30 AM
There is normally a legal way to accomplish your goals. Once you step outside the law, you are responsible for the results of your actions. Maybe instead of trespassing she could have asked a sherrif to meet her there?

flip195
09-17-2006, 10:33 AM
There is normally a legal way to accomplish your goals. Once you step outside the law, you are responsible for the results of your actions. Maybe instead of trespassing she could have asked a sherrif to meet her there?

The AC, The police, the Humane Society IGNORED the calls, the calls are a matter of record, when the law fails to be upheld by the people charged with upholding it there is a HUGE problem, Hicksville ... sorry Freedom PA is not exempt from the laws of the state.

The fact that the owners/abusers have not been charged speaks volumes.

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/Doogie/doogieface.jpg
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/Doogie/doogiedown5.jpg

LilacDragon
09-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Whether or not they were contacted is irrelevant. What is relevant is that she removed the dog from the owner's property without the owner's permission. In 50 States in the Good Ole' US of A - that is called STEALING.

Now, I don't know about your police department - but where I live the police arrest people who steal. Then you go before a judge and things progress from there.

I stand by my original post. If Ms. Grimes had been forthcoming about information from the vet - then maybe the judge would have let her go home without posting bail. BUT, she is getting way more publicity this way.

I am all for animal rights and I don't think that animals should be chained up and neglected. BUT - I am not alright in using an animal for personal gain ie: for publicity purposes.

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Okay, AC, the local yokels and the humane society ignored the calls. There's the Sheriff, the state police, where were the calls to them? Escalate the issue until you get a response.

flip195
09-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Whether or not they were contacted is irrelevant. What is relevant is that she removed the dog from the owner's property without the owner's permission. In 50 States in the Good Ole' US of A - that is called STEALING.

Now, I don't know about your police department - but where I live the police arrest people who steal. Then you go before a judge and things progress from there.

I stand by my original post. If Ms. Grimes had been forthcoming about information from the vet - then maybe the judge would have let her go home without posting bail. BUT, she is getting way more publicity this way.

I am all for animal rights and I don't think that animals should be chained up and neglected. BUT - I am not alright in using an animal for personal gain ie: for publicity purposes.

She offered the Video's, the pictures, the vet report, the witness statements to the police, they did not even want to look at them, they wanted her to return the dog to the abusers so he could die cold and alone on the wet ground on the end of a chain.
If we are going to talk about upholding the law lets talk of why the abusers have not been charged.

flip195
09-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Okay, AC, the local yokels and the humane society ignored the calls. There's the Sheriff, the state police, where were the calls to them? Escalate the issue until you get a response.

Just how many calls do you make while the dog is in pain and dying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9t1rv4pj4

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 10:46 AM
how long does it take to call the sheriff, give them the address, and ask them to meet you out there? If they say no, call the state police and do the same. Phone calls don't take much time.

LilacDragon
09-17-2006, 10:47 AM
According to the information I have, she has not offered any of those things to police or had not when this story first broke.

Hey - I am not the enemy, I am just saying - when you break the law, no matter why you do it, you need to be prepared to pay the consequences.

flip195
09-17-2006, 10:52 AM
According to the information I have, she has not offered any of those things to police or had not when this story first broke.

Hey - I am not the enemy, I am just saying - when you break the law, no matter why you do it, you need to be prepared to pay the consequences.

Quote:
Again, there was no interest in any evidence that the dog had been abused or criminally neglected. As far as they were concerned, the dog's safety or condition was not even an issue.

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 10:56 AM
One, this REALLY looks like a grandstand ploy to get attention. The website miraculously updated with numerous videos, pics, the credit card donations and 1-800 numbers, etc. The phone numbers for media, legal authorities, etc.

This isn't a little lone woman out in the woods doing good deeds. (Not disputing the deeds, just the intent). If she really tried, I'm willing to bet she could have accomplished the same goal (helping doogie) WITHOUT getting arrested, WITHOUT all the media, etc.

Someone wanted some attention, and did what she had to do to get it.

flip195
09-17-2006, 11:01 AM
If it makes more animal abusers wake up and smell the coffee I am all for it, going public in a big way, god knows everytime they close down a puppymill the call goes out for media cover, donations, etc, how is this any different??? , or is it just because it is a SMALL 501c3 agencyas compared to the HSUS

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Doesn't make a difference to me whether they are PETA, HSUS, or the shelter down the street. Manipulating the legal system to get media attention is wrong, period.

cmayer31
09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm glad that Doogie was rescued from his dire situation. However, in this case I'm not so sure that Tammy went about matters in the correct way; I'll get back to this in a second. I'm disgusted that the AC, humane society, police ect. did not act on this matter. I don't know 100% of the story, but if it is true that none of these groups reacted then that is truly sad on their part.

Now to Tammy's approach. It really hasn't shown animal abusers whose wrong. In my opinion it has actually kind of back fired. Here's my thought pattern: Bad owner doesn't provide a proper home or care for his/her dog. Member of a rescue group comes and saves dog. Police come and arrest rescue lady. Negligent owners now have a dog that they don't care about removed from their property the easy way. Negligent owners are not in jail and most of the public focus will be on rescue lady, dog, humane society, and police, but not on them. Rescue lady is in jail and has probably really annoyed local law enforcement with her actions/motives.

Hopefully this will help neglected pets, and will help make sure that law enforcement is on the side of humane societies, rescues, and those who care about animals. However, I truly believe that we are not getting 100% of the story in this case. It has been said before; people don't get locked away in jail instantly. If she was in jail why wouldn't they be asking to help post bail, or for legal fees to hire a good attorney? I think the story is real, I think Doogie is real and in much better hands, but I think the story is written and displayed very 1 sided and to feed off the raw emotion of animal lovers. I'd be interested to see all public records, prior actions for this specific case, responses by law enforcement ect. There are always 2 sides to every coin.

LilacDragon
09-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Again, there was no interest in any evidence that the dog had been abused or criminally neglected. As far as they were concerned, the dog's safety or condition was not even an issue.

The information that I have came from a reliable source who called and talked to the arresting officer.

I have "liberated" a dog or two in my life and I can promise you that I kept it as quiet as possible. The dogs were left alone, chained with no food, shelter or water. Had the police knocked on my door, then I would have given them the evidence that I had, the dog and demanded that the situation was investigated.

Sorry, but I have met the local representative of Dogs Deserve Better and I was unimpressed. While I agree that dogs should not lived chained in a yard, I do think that there are ways to deal with the issue that do not include stealing people's pets.

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 11:40 AM
or is it just because it is a SMALL 501c3

This is NOT a small 501c3.

They evidently have reps in all states. Somewhat curious for a chartered non profit working in the area of animal abuse not to know the statutes in their home state? The post above where it states that a chartered animal abuse agency can request a warrant?

THe deeper I look, the more this stinks.

Luvin Labs
09-17-2006, 06:25 PM
She should post up the veterinary report on Doogie to her site (blacking out the vet contact information) as well as a statement from the people who saw Doogie.

Cataholic
09-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I just want to go on record by saying that I am GLAD she removed a dog from this abusive situation. I might have done the same thing. And, btw, stealing is a legal term of art. If she didn't have the requsite mental intent to deprive the rightful owner of the dog, she didn't 'steal'. AND, there are 'emergency' type regulations, ordinances, laws, that provide for rescue type situations, something she prolly could take advantage of at the time of trial. Last, IF what she is saying is accurate, there shouldn't be a single problem with standing before a Judge on these charges.

I tend to agree that this is the sort of thing that can make people stand up and notice. I wondered why she didn't call a local news team to come out and videotape the situation? That would have gotten the law enforcement people up and moving.

In any event, if she ceased the suffering of one more animal, I stand behind her. But, when you take the law into your own hands, you gotta be ready for the "riot".

flip195
09-18-2006, 11:56 AM
I just want to go on record by saying that I am GLAD she removed a dog from this abusive situation. I might have done the same thing. And, btw, stealing is a legal term of art. If she didn't have the requsite mental intent to deprive the rightful owner of the dog, she didn't 'steal'. AND, there are 'emergency' type regulations, ordinances, laws, that provide for rescue type situations, something she prolly could take advantage of at the time of trial. Last, IF what she is saying is accurate, there shouldn't be a single problem with standing before a Judge on these charges.

I tend to agree that this is the sort of thing that can make people stand up and notice. I wondered why she didn't call a local news team to come out and videotape the situation? That would have gotten the law enforcement people up and moving.

In any event, if she ceased the suffering of one more animal, I stand behind her. But, when you take the law into your own hands, you gotta be ready for the "riot".

i don't want to second guess here , but had it been a publicity stunt, as some like to think... then calling the media to meet her there would have been the perfect solution, I truely do not believe her intention was to manipulate the media, I believe she saw the problem and acted.
However, based on what i would have done... I would have gone there video and camera in hand, with the intention of speaking to the owner, having seen the dog in the neglected abused state I would have removed the dog and taken it to a vet as the owners were not home. While at the vets office I would have called the police, ac and HSUS and told them I had the dog at the vet as the animal was distressed and in urgent need of medical care.

The police are making excuses, based on the owners own statement to the press, the video, the pictures, the witness statement, and the vets report there is NO WAY IN HECK this owner can not be charged with abuse.

The good ole boy nextwork is alive and well and living in Freedom PA.

CathyBogart
09-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Can anyone here honestly say that if they had been contacting authorities for three days and nothing had happened they wouldn't have done something? I know I would have. Tammy is getting the public and the media involved now as much as she can, and I can't blame her.

However, in her original video she clearly indicates that she knew it was likely that trouble would come from this. "would you testify if we do have to go to court?"

She does now have a veterinary report stating that Doogie was neglected, and this is getting national attention for Dogs Deserve Better. I can't see the media attention as a bad thing, and I really don't think this was originally intended as a publicity stunt, but I don't blame her for taking advantage of the publicity now that she's got it.

Lady's Human
09-18-2006, 02:57 PM
In the local newspaper article the Humane Society stated that the COULDN'T take any action on the phone calls as there was no address given by the caller. Hard to respond to a call when you don't know where it is.

If I was trying to solely remedy the dog's situation, I would have done things as quietly as possible. I find it curious that there is a means in the statutes for any humane organization (or animal charity) to get a warrant to remove an animal from an abusive situation, and there was no warrant requested.

Again, I find it hard to believe that a national organization would not know and take advantage of the law in the state which they originated.

flip195
09-18-2006, 07:07 PM
In the local newspaper article the Humane Society stated that the COULDN'T take any action on the phone calls as there was no address given by the caller. Hard to respond to a call when you don't know where it is.

If I was trying to solely remedy the dog's situation, I would have done things as quietly as possible. I find it curious that there is a means in the statutes for any humane organization (or animal charity) to get a warrant to remove an animal from an abusive situation, and there was no warrant requested.

Again, I find it hard to believe that a national organization would not know and take advantage of the law in the state which they originated.

Do you honestly beleive someone would call in an abuse report and not leave an address???, if that is the case why bother calling.
First they said they recieved no calls, now they are saying they had no address, they, like the police are covering their butts.

Lady's Human
09-18-2006, 07:44 PM
According to the articles I read from the Altoona times, the Humane society never said they did not get any calls, they stated in several articles that they could not take action because there was no specific address given. They also stated that they had never had any abuse complaints against the owners of the dog in question.

According to the same articles, Ms. Grimes has not complied with police requests to see the dog, and has been uncooperative in the investigation.

I don't agree with keeping dogs chained outside on a constant basis. However, if you want to change a law, you work within the system to bring change. Breaking the law to grab attention is ridiculous.