PDA

View Full Version : Puppy training tips? Anyone?

Sevaede
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Spanky is proving to be a little more difficult than I originally thought. She will be 15 weeks old on Wednesday.

It seems like she *knows* where she is supposed to be going and she *does* about half of the time (a nice piddle pad). What can I do to ensure that she goes on the pad consistently? I have been having her in her crate when I can't watch her but take her out every hour to pee and she just kind of stands there and wags her tail and gets angry if I put her on the pad after she's walked off after standing there for fifteen minutes or so, at which point I usually just put her back in her crate. I take her to the pad after she plays and sleeps and whatnot.

Troy and I think she might prefer EXTRA fresh pads and we're going to try putting down a couple every day. Also, we're going to get a baby gate and confine her to the kitchen with a pad, her food and water (it's a rather large kitchen), crate, pillow, toys, and chew toys.

Advice would be much appreciated! :)

moosmom
09-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I do believe that Catnapper (Kim) is the one to ask about that. She's a whiz at it!! Oh Kiiiiiimmmmmm????

binka_nugget
09-12-2006, 01:36 AM
I've never had experience with training a pup to use a pad.. I don't know how big those pads are, but I would put a few out, creating a fairly large area to soil on. When she does, praise like you've just won the lottery (treats, a game, anything!) I would leave one with the scent still on it, and slowly remove the remaining pads one by one as she becomes more reliable. The scent should entice her to soil in the same area, but if she's picky, she'll still have a fresh one to use nearby.

Will you guys be leaving her unsupervised in the kitchen? When potty training, I think of one mistake as a major set back, so I try to minimize any chances for "oopsies".. which would mean supervising all out-of-crate time. If you ever catch her making a mistake though, just plop her right back on the pad and praise immediately (whether she goes or not). :)

Sevaede
09-13-2006, 12:38 AM
I've never had experience with training a pup to use a pad.. I don't know how big those pads are, but I would put a few out, creating a fairly large area to soil on. When she does, praise like you've just won the lottery (treats, a game, anything!) I would leave one with the scent still on it, and slowly remove the remaining pads one by one as she becomes more reliable. The scent should entice her to soil in the same area, but if she's picky, she'll still have a fresh one to use nearby.

Will you guys be leaving her unsupervised in the kitchen? When potty training, I think of one mistake as a major set back, so I try to minimize any chances for "oopsies".. which would mean supervising all out-of-crate time. If you ever catch her making a mistake though, just plop her right back on the pad and praise immediately (whether she goes or not). :)

Awesome, awesome, thank you very much! :D

They are 21.5" X 23.5", the OUT! deluxe training pads. I will have to use a toy to reward her as she seems to be much more play-oriented (although she loves some snicky snacks!)! :D Do you think it might have to do with there being baking soda *in* the pad? It seems that newspaper used to work a lot better (all by itself and integrated with pads). I just put down two more fresh pads around her slightly soiled one. What I've been doing is keeping her in her crate while I can't be with her but taking breaks to let her do her business but she just kind of stands there and wiggles.

We were going to put up a baby gate to block off the kitchen from the rest of the house and leave her open crate in it, some toys, pads, and food & water (across the room). What about, crate her for half an hour, take her out for a potty break, repeat?

It has been so long since I've had a puppy. I feel like all the knowledge and preparation that I had done just flew out of my head the second we got home. :eek:

Sevaede
09-13-2006, 12:38 AM
I do believe that Catnapper (Kim) is the one to ask about that. She's a whiz at it!! Oh Kiiiiiimmmmmm????

Heh, I shall have to pm her! :D

binka_nugget
09-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Not sure about the baking soda.. who knows. :p I have years of experience with behavioral training in adult dogs.. but when it comes to puppies, all I can do is guess. :p

I forgot to mention setting a schedule. After she eats, take her to her potty area and see if she'll go. She'll have to go fairly shortly afterwards, so it's just a matter of being there when it happens and placing her in the right spot if she is going somewhere else. The crate, potty break, crate, etc should work nicely right after feeding (except maybe at 10-15 minutes at a time instead of half an hour). She will absolutely have to go after feeding, and if you take her straight to the potty area, she'll only have the option of soiling in her crate or on the pads.. I'm sure she'd opt for the pads. :p